return to normal view
Times (London)
23 August 1887


At 8 o'clock yesterday morning, Israel Lipski, 21, a walking stick maker, who was convicted at the last Sessions of the Central Criminal Court of the wilful murder of Miriam Angel, a young married woman, was executed within the walls of Newgate Prison, where he had been confined since his conviction. The circumstances surrounding the commission of the crime have recently been so prominently brought before the public that any reference to them would be needless. The case, perhaps, will be memorable for the strong exertions made on the convict's part both in Parliament and elsewhere to obtain a reprieve. After a full consideration of the facts, however, the Home Secretary declined to grant any further respite and on Saturday night a communication was forwarded to Newgate from the Home Office to the effect that the Secretary of State saw no reason for interfering with the due course of law. It was a matter for satisfaction, therefore, that on Sunday the convict made a full confession to the effect that he alone was the person who committed the crime, his motive being one of gain. There were present yesterday morning Alderman and Sheriff Sir H.A, Isaacs, and Sheriff Sir A. Kirby, Mr. Under Sheriff Innes, and the usual prison officials and representatives of the Press. The process of pinioning having been performed by Berry, the executioner, Lipski was asked, through M. Albert, the interpreter, whether he desired to add anything to the confession he had already made, and he replied that he did not wish to say anything further except that he was guilty. The convict walked with a firm step to the scaffold, where the proper Hebrew prayers for the dying were read by a Jewish clergyman. At 8 o'clock the signal was given and the drop fell. Death was instantaneous, a drop of 6ft being allowed. A large crowd had meanwhile assembled within the precincts of the gaol in the Old Bailey, and upon the black flag being hoisted indicating that the last sentence of the law had been carried into effect it was received with cheers. After hanging the customary time the body was cut down and the usual inquest was held, at which the formal verdict was returned. The body was subsequently buried in the prison in the portion set apart for the purpose.

Related pages:
  Israel Lipski
       Dissertations: Interpreting Lipski 
       Press Reports: Times - 11 July 1887 
       Press Reports: Times - 2 July 1887 
       Press Reports: Times - 30 July 1887 
       Press Reports: Times - 4 July 1887 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 15 August 1887 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 19 August 1887 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 23 August 1887 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 24 August 1887 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 25 August 1887 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 26 August 1887 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 29 June 1887 
       Victorian London: Batty Street 

Advertise with us | Link to us | Privacy Policy | Copyright © Stephen P. Ryder & Johnno, 1996-2024 Thomas Schachner