Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

General Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Druitt, Montague John » General « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 22, 2003Chris Scott25 9-22-03  4:53 pm
Archive through October 08, 2003Jeffrey Bloomfied25 10-08-03  10:29 pm
Archive through October 12, 2003Jeffrey Bloomfied25 10-12-03  1:07 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Phillips
Detective Sergeant
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 4:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some comments interspersed, based on Burke's Peerage:

He married Letitia Dunken on December
6, 1787. Only Elliot is mentioned as their son.

BP gives the name as Dunkin, and gives Elliot as the 4th of 6 sons and 10 daughters.

Elliot married twice. His first wife was Isabella Law (daughter of John Law), born February 4, 1833 and died May 1, 1871.

BP has 1833 as the date of the marriage, not of her birth.

The date of of their marriage was not listed, but they had a son (only one son is mentioned) namd Henry Alexander Macnaghten. No mention of Melville!

BP has Melville as the 6th of 6 sons and 5 daughters (and three other daughters died unmarried).

Henry became
the Reverend Henry Alexander Macnaghten (born 1850 and died July 17, 1928). He married twice:
first Louisa [I mispelled the last name], on August 28, 1873, who died December 28, 1921; secondly Evelyn Vere Boyle on February 3, 1925,
she died on November 7, 1937.

Her date of death is given as 1939, not 1937.

There does not seem to have been any offspring from either marriage.

BP indicates 2 sons and a daughter.

Chris Phillips

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 2:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the corrections. But the main point remains that the closeness of Sir Melville's father's death and Monty's suicide suggests some
link between the Macnaghten and Druitt families due to funerals or estate matters concerning William Druitt as a solicitor.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 2:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the corrections. But the main point remains that the closeness of Sir Melville's father's death and Monty's suicide suggests some
link between the Macnaghten and Druitt families due to funerals or estate matters concerning William Druitt as a solicitor.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 183
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 1:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must correct my earlier statement questioning the possibility of a good swimmer committing suicide by putting stones in his pockets and jumping into the water. I did not notice that he had put four large stones in each pocket. I had assumed four stones in all, one in each pocket. That many large stones should be enough to drown anyone.

Also, from reading the accounts, it does appear that two distinct suicide letters were written. One was written to Mr. Valentine with perhaps vague allusions to suicide as what might be "best for everyone." The other was addressed to MJD's brother and found among MJD's effects which spoke of fearing "since Friday" that he would be "like mother" and that "the best thing" would be for him to die. It is very unfortunate that the exact wording of either letter was not preserved.

Incidently, it appears that the court of inquest took the referece to becoming "like mother" as referring to her insanity as the reporter immediately mentions this, reflecting the discussion in the procedings.

Andy

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 981
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 6:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Andy

It's not so much the physics of the thing (would the stones have been enough to drown him - though he must have had large pockets!). It's more the psychology - IF he was a strong swimmer, would he have chosen this method, ie death by drowning? Still, Dave says it happened with Virginia Woolf so there you go.

By the way, I very much doubt if a solicitor like William would have committed perjury at the inquest - at least not by telling such an easily disproved whopper as "I am the only relative."
I feel sure that this was in response to some question from the Coroner - maybe he meant "I am the only relative at the inquest".

Robert

John Ruffels
Detective Sergeant
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 7:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All,
Shirley Richards has previously surmised a link between the Macnaghten and Druitt families.
Mainly from the fact a Macnaghten gave one of the Druitts or, Mayos (intermarried family), a position in the East India Company. And secondly, the fact one of the Bournemouth/Christchurch Druitts was named "Melvill". (I understand the spelling was different, but the implication was the coincidence of the name "Melville". Nothing to confirm the latter has been forthcoming).
And as regards Montague Druitt's suicide: I am absolutely ignorant of the methods or motives or impulses which influence suicides, but:-
Is it not possible some suicides seek to go out on a "high" - like a courtroom victory?
("He had everything to live for; he had just married and he had won the lottery last week")...
And in seeming contradiction: Is it possible to plumb the minds of suicidal people using logic?
(Why did he fill his pockets with stones and jump in the river?).
Surely, suicidal people feel so overwhelmed with
bad happening after bad happening, that, if they cannot successfully seek help, or there is no
solution to their difficulties, they feel desperate enough to embrace the final sanction -death?
Perhaps "others" feel the suicidal one has everything to live for, whilst that person feels desperate and friendless.
To Jeff Bloomfield: I cannot see a link between William Druitt and the fact Sir Melville Macnaghten's father died around the same time as William's brother. (Unless you see a link in the fact Elliott M. and William's mother were both in Brighton?).
I feel some productive research could be done into the fact William H. Druitt had a London -based(?) house - guest on the 17th - not the 11th- of December 1888. One Richard Ball.
This fact, as I have mentioned before, was published in I think, the SOUTHERN GUARDIAN, as excitement built for the impending visit to Canford House by Prince Eddy, (Duke of Clarence)for a Grand Ball.
To which were also invited: "Druitt, Mrs and Miss, and Mr Montagu".
Was Mr Ball William's informant about the absence from chambers of Montague?

Severn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 6:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quite a lot to take on -attending cricket mtgs in mid November teaching,pleading-and winning the case etc must have been very adept at holding down a variety of activities under mental duress.Also I agree there does seem some inconsistency of liberal thinking and attitude to the victims.

severn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another area to ponder might be Macnaghtens orangeman status -at one point he is said to haveappeared to identify the Ripper with a plot to assassinate Balfour at the Irish office and he was descended from one of the original Prentice boys of Derry perhaps he was a bit paranoid and when Druitts sister married a catholic he saw plots in every direction......

jeffrey Leahy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 5:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I am doing some research into the Ripper victims. I am trying to find out if their are any living relatives or surviving family members. Any help or clues, books, records etc, would be much appriciated. Hoping someone might have some knowledge or point me in the right direction. Thanks for your time.

Jeff

brian003
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 3:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,
I am a student doing a report on Thomas Neill Cream. I am having trouble finding information on his modus operandi and his contributing causes to why he killed. If anyone has some info. or could give me some usefull sites I would apreciate it.
thanks,
Brian

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 269
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 7:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All

This is probably coincidental, but I thought I would post it anyway.

In the 1901 census is a family of Druitts living at 47 Barnes Street, Limehouse. The family were
Margaret a widow aged 67 and her 4 daughters and 1 son.
Emily 41
Caroline 37
Rose 32
Clara 31
George 29
All born in Stepney.
Next door at number 49 lived George Sparks, a Milkman who happens to be Sergeant Stephen White's step brother. I couldn't find this Druitt family in the 1891 census, but in the 1871 and 1881 census they were living at 288 Oxford Street, Mile End. Which ran right behind the London Hospital. In 1882 Stephen White was living at 77 Rutland Street, Mile End, two streets South of Oxford Street.
George Sparks in 1881 was living in Faversham Kent. In 1891 he was living at 12 Barnes Street, this may have been the same building as the 1901 address as in the ten years between the census, the street was extended and the numbering would therefore change.

Rob

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 2:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Forgive me if I'm posting a link that you've already seen, but in case you haven't..
I came across it whilst looking for info about my g-g-g grandfather, Willett Lawrence Adye, of Merley House. Anyway, I noticed some Druitts listed in the directory. Doesn't tell us anything new, I'm afraid, but I thought the info on Wimborne interesting.

http://www.dorset-opc.com/WimborneDirectory1865.htm

All the best,

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 9:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I was looking over the list. The Rev. John Keynes may be connected to the famous economist, and Matthew Webb could be a relative of the once famous Captain Matthew Webb (the first man to swim the English Channel. But these are simply guesses based on similarity of names.

Jeff

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 761
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 2:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The first of a series of new jpeg postings for the evening folkies.

Here's a couple of postcards dating from about 1910 of Druitt's old school.

druitt1

druitt2

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5077
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Hutch. Just think : forty years or so before those pics were taken, Druitt started there as a grubby little tick.

Robert

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip

Thanks for those.

I must admit that as they started downloading I was flabbergasted, and thought "I had no idea the school at Eliot Place was so grand!".

Chris Phillips

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.