Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through September 22, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Druitt, Montague John » General » Archive through September 22, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Phillips
Police Constable
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shirley Richards, the Australian researcher of the Mayo family, whose work Howells and Skinner drew upon, was kind enough to clarify the genealogical links implying contact between the Druitts and police officials such as Sir Melville Macnaghten. The following information was supplied by her:

(1) Montague Druitt's paternal grandmother was Jane, the daughter of the Rev. James Mayo (1755-1822). James's brother was Thomas Alfred Mayo (1783-1855), whose son Alfred Mayo (1812-1882) was an uncle of Ellen Baker, wife of Walter Ernest Boultbee (1853-1897), who was private secretary successively to Sir Charles Warren, James Monro and Sir Edward Bradford.

(2) Returning to Montague's grandmother Jane Mayo, of her brother John Mayo (1786-1866), C.H. Mayo, in "A Genealogical Account of the Mayo and Elton Families" (1908), says "For many years he held an appointment in the East India House, which he obtained through his friends, the Melvills". James Cosmo Melvill (K.C.B.) was the Secretary and Philip Melvill was Assistant Military Secretary of the East India Company. For the Macnaghtens' connection with the East India Company, see (3) below; Shirley suggests that Sir Melville may have derived his christian name from a Melvill godparent.

(3) A further Druitt-Mayo intermarriage took place in the following generation, between two first cousins - Montague's uncle James Druitt and John Mayo's daughter, Matilda Jane. Incidentally, this couple had a son Melvill, presumably named after the Melvills. It was Matilda Jane's brother, John Horsley Mayo (1838-1895), who "on 28th February, 1855, was appointed Writer in the East India House by Mr. Elliot Macnaghton" [from C.H. Mayo again], Elliot being Sir Melville Macnaghten's father. John Horsley Mayo remained in contact with the Druitts, later visiting Archdeacon Druitt (Montague's uncle) in Australia.

Chris Phillips

Chris Phillips
Police Constable

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Begg et al., in the A-Z, p. 114 (1996 edn) mention that the Bristol Times and Mirror, 11 February 1891, reported an unnamed West of England MP declaring that the Ripper was the son of a surgeon and committed suicide on the night of the last murder. They comment that "this roughly matches Macnaghten's account of Druitt and emanates from Druitt's region.".

I have copied the item in full below. It is from a regular column in the newspaper, entitled "Our London Letter". This gives some more details - that the MP was saying this only in private, but that a "good many people" had heard it, and believed it, and also that his account was detailed enough to make the author wary of a libel action. The suspect is also described as "a man with blood-stained clothes".

Of course, the son of the surgeon who committed suicide sounds awfully like Druitt, and the one particular that definitely doesn't match him - that he committed suicide "on the night of his last murder" is later repeated by Macnaghten, Sims, who were certainly talking about Druitt.

This strongly suggests that suspicions about Druitt were circulating fairly openly as early as February 1891 - three years before the Macnaghten memoranda.

Bristol Times and Mirror
Wednesday 11 February 1891
OUR LONDON LETTER
I give a curious story for what it is worth. There is a West of England member who in private declares that he has solved the mystery of "Jack the Ripper." His theory - and he repeats it with so much emphasis that it might almost be called his doctrine - is that "Jack the Ripper" committed suicide on the night of his last murder. I can't give details, for fear of a libel action; but the story is so circumstantial that a good many people believe it. He states that a man with blood-stained clothes committed suicide on the night of the last murder, and he asserts that the man was the son of a surgeon, who suffered from homicidal mania. I do not know what the police think of the story, but I believe that before long a clean breast will be made, and that the accusation will be sifted thoroughly.

This report was followed by another, discovered by the late Eric F. Hermes, which John Ruffels was kind enough to send me details of. This was in the Gloucester Journal of 14 February, 1891, reporting on the Coles murder, and mentioning that only last week a statement had been put out that "Jack The Ripper" had committed suicide. (Unfortunately this was too fragile to be produced at the Newspaper Library, but perhaps it was based directly on the Bristol Times report.)

Chris Phillips

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Chris:

Needless to say, in his famous memoranda of February 1894, Sir Melville Macnaghten does not use the same wording for Druitt as is used in this Bristol Times and Mirror newspaper article of February 11, 1891 for an unnamed suspect, i.e, Macnaghten does not say that the suspect (Druitt) committed suicide "on the night of the last murder" as the newspaper article says was the case for the suspect the newspaper writer means. Macnaghten, speaking generally, says that the murderer's mind may have given way after Mary Jane Kelly's murder and that he "immediately committed suicide" or was housed in an insane asylum "by his relations." When it comes to talking about Druitt as a possible suspect, he merely says the body, which had been in the Thames for upwards of a month, had been found seven weeks or more, after the murder. We do know that Druit's dissmissal at the Blackheath school was at the end of November, specifically around November 30, just over two weeks after the murder of Mary Jane Kelly and not immediately after the crime, and that his body was found December 31 floating off Thornycroft's torpedo factory in Chiswick, so the circumstances are not entirely alike even if Druitt is the unnamed man referred to in the Bristol Times and Mirror newspaper article of February 11, 1891.

Best regards

Chris George

Chris Phillips
Sergeant

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris

Thanks for those comments.

Perhaps I should have taken a little more space to clarify what I meant about that point.

In one respect, the description in the Bristol Times and Mirror applies more accurately to Druitt than the descriptions given later by Macnaghten, Sims and others, in that it describes him as the son of a surgeon rather than saying he was a doctor himself.

Clearly it's not an accurate description of him in that Druitt committed suicide in early December, not "on the night of his last murder". But almost exactly the same mistake is made by Macnaghten et al. in their later descriptions.

It's true that Macnaghten doesn't say this in so many words in his memoranda, although he does say significantly more than you quote. In the official version, he says that Druitt "disappeared at the time of the Miller's Court murder" before noting that his body was said to have been upwards of a month in the water, and was found about 7 weeks after the murder [Evans and Skinner, p. 585]. In the light of the general observations you quote, the implication seems clear.

But Macnaghten was more explicit in talking about his preferred suspect (generally acknowledged to be Druitt) in his autobiography, Days of My Years:
"I incline to the belief that the individual who held up London in terror resided with his own people; that he absented himself from home at certain times, and that he committed suicide on or about the 10th of November 1888 ..."
[A-Z, p. 111 (1996 edn)]

Major Griffiths, in Mysteries of Police and Crime, puts forward much the same theory in discussing - but not naming - Druitt:
"... he disappeared after the last murder, that in Miller's Court, on 9 September 1888. On the last day of the year, seven weeks later, his body was found floating in the Thames, and was said to have been in the water for a month. The theory in this case was that after his last exploit, which was the most fiendish of all, his brain entirely gave way, and he became furiously insane and committed suicide."
[ibid. p. 151]

Macnaghten's friend G. R. Sims again follows the same line:
"Almost immediately after this murder [the Dorset Street murder] he drowned himself in the Thames."
[Sunday Referee, January 22, 1899, extract on this website]

Perhaps significantly, he later indulges in much the same sort of calculation that Macnaghten made in the memoranda. For example:
"A month after the last murder the body of the doctor was found in the Thames. There was everything about it to suggest that it had been in the river for nearly a month."
[Lloyds Weekly News, September 22, 1907, extract on this website]
(By this time, though, the correct interval between the murder and the finding of Druitt's body had been forgotten.)

To sum up, Macnaghten and other who may have got their information from him clearly believed that Druitt killed himself soon after the Kelly murder, just as the suspect described in the Bristol Times and Mirror was said to have done. In fact there was really a lapse of more than three weeks, but it still seems likely to me that the earlier rumour referred to Druitt, just as the later suspicions did.

Chris Phillips

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Chris:

I agree that all these mentions of a suicide after the Kelly murder all appear to be about the Druitt suicide. However, we might note that if the idea is that the man was driven so insane after the murder that he had to immediately dispose of himself, the case for that type of theory is weakened by the fact that Druitt lived for two to three weeks after the murder before he apparently did away with himself.

Best regards

Chris

Chris Phillips
Sergeant

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris

Yes - without knowing the extra details, that are never given, it's difficult to know how much weight to give to the suspicions.

One interesting thought, though, is that on the basis of Macnaghten and the later sources, the same point could be made about the mistaken belief that he was a doctor. If the Bristol Times
and Mirror report does refer to Druitt, at least it tells us he was originally suspected by people who knew he wasn't a doctor himself.

Chris Phillips

Chris Phillips
Sergeant

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shirley Richards suggested that I should try to locate Montague Druitt's sister and brother-in-law, Georgiana Elizabeth and the Rev. William Woodcock Hough, in the autumn of 1888.

Shirley told me that the Rev. Hough had been transferred to Corpus Christi College Mission at Camberwell in 1887 [citing J. A. Venn, Alumni Cantabrigienses], having previously taught Mathematics at Wimborne Grammar School.

The extracts copied below indicate that the Houghs were living at 32 New Cross Road in the autumn of 1888, having apparently moved there from Forest Hill late in 1887.

This would placed them very near (2-3 miles) to MJD in Blackheath, and fairly close to New Cross station on his railway route into London. It would be surprising if they weren't in close touch with him at the time of the murders.

Chris Phillips

Chris Scott
Police Constable
Username: Chris

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there:
Chris Phillips: I was interested to read your noted on the Druitt/Mayo connections. It may be of interest that the Mayo name came to be used as a Christian name in one case I have found. In the 1881 census there is a pupil at Wimborne Grammar School called Mayo Druitt. At the time he was 11 and place of birth was given as Christchurch, hampshire. Also listed at the school in the same record are:
Alan Druitt aged 17
Melville Druitt aged 14
Both are lised as born in Christchurch.
Chris S

Chris Scott
Police Constable

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re: Christchurch Druitts.
The three pupils mentioned in my last post are all listed as born in Christchurch, Hampshire. The only Druitt listed in that town for the 1881 census is as follows:
Head:
James Druitt aged 64 born in Wimborne.Solicitor.
Wife:
Matilda J Druitt aged 48 born in Paddington.
Children:
Jane aged 31 born in Christchurch
Matilda aged 20 born in Christchurch
John aged 19 born in Christchurch. Solicitors articled clerk.
Herbert aged 5 born in Christchurch
Charlotte aged 3 born in Christchurch

The only other Druitt listed at the time in Christchurch is:
Robert Druitt Jnr.
Aged 34 born in Curzon Street, London.
Solicitor BA Oxford.
Lodging at Bridge Street, Christchurch.
Head of household was Alfred Broadway, Postmaster.

Chris S

Chris Phillips
Sergeant

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris Scott

Thanks for posting those census details. James Druitt the solicitor is Montague's uncle, and his wife Matilda Jane was a Mayo, as mentioned in the summary above. Shirley Richards mentioned that they had a son Melvill Druitt, who I'd guess is the pupil at the Grammar School. (Shirley suggested that he might have been named after a godparent from the Melvill family, who were patrons of Matilda Jane's father, John Mayo, at the East India Company.)

It may be that Mayo Druitt is another of their sons, although as there was also a Druitt-Mayo marriage in the previous generation (Montague's grandparents), perhaps he could be a child of another of Montague's uncles.

I think that the solicitor Robert Druitt, 34, is another cousin of Montague's, the son of his uncle Robert.

Chris Phillips

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Sergeant
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Subsidiary question to this interesting geneological thread on Monty's family and it's
connection to Sir Melville: who was the West of
England Member of Parliament who was determined
to discover the identity and fate of the Ripper,
and why did this M.P. decide to get involved in
this issue over regular political business?

Jeff Bloomfield

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Sergeant

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thinking it over this morning, the following
occurred to me.

Being an American, I am not sure about English
geographic terms. "The West Country" - does
it refer to the area of England (in the British
Isles) that includes Dorset, or is it more general
(including the portion of the Isles including
Ireland and Wales)?

If it stresses the area including Dorset, who were
the M.P.s from this area in 1888 - Feb. 1891, and
(in particular) who was the M.P. for the area
that included Druitt's town of Wimborne?

Jeff

Chris Phillips
Sergeant

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff

"West Country" or - as used in the Bristol Times and Mirror article - "West of England" would normally refer to the south-western part of England. It's difficult to put a precise boundary on it, but I'd suggest roughly the 6 counties of Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire.

Initially, as both the references from February 1891 came from Gloucestershire, I wondered whether that pointed to an MP for that county. But I'd guess that the Gloucester article may just have been based on the Bristol one, and clearly the Bristol one came from a London correspondent.

So I think Dorset MPs could well be worth a look. Of course, little is given away in the article that could confirm the man's identity. But family or social relationships might give a clue. For example, several of Lord Wimborne's family were evidently MPs around this time, though from the account in Burke's Peerage, it seems none of them was an MP in 1891.

Chris Phillips

Chris Phillips
Sergeant

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Further to the discussion of Chris Scott's census extracts, Shirley Richards confirms that the Druitts at Wimborne Grammar School were the sons of Montague's uncle and aunt, James and Matilda Jane Druitt.

Chris Phillips

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Sergeant

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, I have an interesting question regarding
a name that was mentioned in connection with
Monty and cricket teams at Winchester and New
College, Oxford, when Monty was at those locations. John Ruffels mentioned the name of
Richard Bethel. Could this be a mispelling
for Richard Bethell, a grandson of Lord Westbury
(Richard Bethell) the Lord Chancellor (from 1861
to 1865)?

Jeff

Chris Scott
Sergeant

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been doing some research recently and I was looking through the archive for The Bristol Times and Mirror. In the issue for March 9, 1897 there is a long detailed account of the half yearle governors meeting for Bristol General Hospital.
This passage caught my eye regarding the appointing of resident medical officers:
"Mr. C.F.Druitt was elected assistant house surgeon on 14th September and Dr. Jno. T Hewitson assistant house physician...."

Anyone know who this C.F.Druitt was and if he was any relation to M J D?

Many thanks
Chris S

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Chris:

It would be my guess that the Dr. C. F. Druitt you found in Bristol is connected to the Dorset/Hampshire Druitts, particularly as there seem to have been a number of doctors in Montague John Druitt's family.

As noted by Stephen Ryder in his dissertation, Emily and the Bibliophile: A Possible Source for Macnaghten's Private Information, Montague's uncle, Dr. Robert Druitt (1814-1883) was the author of a well known 19th century text, The Principles and Practice of Modern Surgery which was first published in the 1842. He might also have the "Dr. Druitt" who is referenced with an interesting remark, "You may just as well try to stop small-pox epidemics by vaccination as to prevent a thunderstorm with an umbrella." See The Case Against Vaccination, address by Dr. Walter Hadwen, 1896. I have also seen some webpages that appear to indicate there are Irish Druitts as well as English.

Best regards

Chris

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2708
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Source:

Mayo, Charles Herbert, M.A.. A Genealogical Account of the Mayo & Elton Families of Wilts and Herefordshire and Some Other Adjoining Counties, Together with Numerous Biographical Sketches. To which are added many genealogies for the most part not hitherto published of families allied by marriage to the family of Mayo and a history of the manors of Andrews and Le Mote, in Chesthunt, Hertfordshire. Second and Greatly Enlarged Editions with Many Illustrations. London: Chiswick Press. 1908. pp. 447-455.

Includes photographs of Robert Druitt (1814-1883). with signature, and William Druitt, F.R.C.S. (1820-1885).

Note: Some illegible parts of the text have been indicated by “XX”.

DRUITT.

Philip Druitt, of Wimborne Minster, Dorset, in practice there as a surgeon in the year 1712, married at Eling, near Southampton, 20th February, 1707-8, Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Bracebridge, of Southampton. He is there described as of the city of Oxford. He was buried at Wimborne, 13th February, 1736-7, and his wife, Elizabeth, 30th May, 1752. Will, 10th February, 1732, proved 10th November, 1737, in the Wimborne Peculiar. He had issue, with other children (viz. Thomas, surgeon, married at Wimborne, 2nd February, 1732, Sarah Bugg, who was buried there 21st December, 1775, aged 60, as widow, by whom he had one son, William-Bracebridge, baptized 7th Dec., 1746, buried 12th May , 1749, at Milton Abbas; Philippa; Alexander, May-Oct., 1712; Sarah-Jener, 1713-85; Elizabeth, 1715-79; Alexander, 1717-8; and Mary, 1726-36);
Sacheverell Druitt, of Wimborne, surgeon, younger surviving son, baptized 7th July, 1719, died 28th Jan., 1795, aged 76; will, 22nd Jan., proved 9th March, 1795, in the Wimborne Peculiar. By his wife, Sarah, baptized 9th May, 1715, daughter of Nettleham Tory, whom he married 12th May, 1739, he had issue (besides Sarah, 1741; Philip, 1744-1804, of Christchurch, surgeon, who married 18th June, 1776, Elizabeth Raggett, and had issue, Elizabeth-Sarah, wife of John Bemister Pilgrem, and Gustavus-Richard, 1781-1842; Catherine, 1746-1813; Elizabeth, 1748-1820; William, 1756-1821, of Winchester, now represented by the children of his grandson, William Druitt, Rector of Stockbridge, Hants, 1867-81);
Thomas Druitt, of Wimborne, surgeon, second son, who died 8th Dec., 1814, aged 63. He married, 4th Feb., 1784, Mary, daughter of Robert Gutch, XX Christ Church, Oxford, 1735, Head Master of Blandford Grammar School and of Wimborne Grammar Schoo, 1769, and Rector of Bryanston, by XX Goffee, his wife, whom he married 1st March, 1743-4. Mary Gutch was baptized 27th Dec., 1753, and buried 30th Dec., 1809 Thomas Druitt left issue (XX Sarah, 1786-1850; Ann-Gutch, 1788-1847; Mary, 1789-1851, married in XX to Christopher Hill; Catherine, 1791-1847, married to James-Patricious XX and Georgiana, 1793-1863); a son,
I. Robert Druitt, D.M., F.R.C.P., F.R.C.S., of London, author of The Surgeon’s Vade Mecum, which passed through eleven large editions, 1839-XX born 14th Dec., 1814, died 15th May, at 8, Strathmore Gardens, Kensington, and XX buried 19th May , 1883, in Kensal Green cemetery. He married 18th Jan, XX at St. Pancras’, London, Isabella, daughter of William Hopkinson. She died at 8, Strathmore Gardens, 19th March, and was buried 22nd March, 1899, with her husband, aged 76. They had issue,

1. Robert Druitt, B.A., of Christchurch, Hants, born 2nd April, 18XX 39A, Curzon St., Mayfair; Junior Student of Christ Church, Oxford, XX matriculated, 23rd May, 1866, B.A., 1870; admitted a Solicitor, 1874. He XX 24th Jan., 1882, at St. George’s, Campden Hill, Kensington, Alice May, daughter of Daniel Tupper, of the Lord Chamberlain’s Office, St. James’s Palace, and XX of Martin-Farquhar Tupper, author of Proverbial Philosophy. They have issue; i. Robert-Everard, born 1st April, 1884; ii. Daniel-Cuthbert, born XX August, 1885, and iii. Charles-Lambert, born 14th Oct., 1888.

2. Charles Druitt, M.A., born at 39A, Curzon St., 1st Nov., 1848; matriculated at Oxford, 12th June, 1867, from Exeter College; B.A., 1871, M.A. XX ordained Deacond, 21st Dec., 1871 (Ripon), and Priest, 21st Sept., 1873 (Sarum); Member of the Society of St. Andrew, Sarum, 30th Nov., 1886-8, vicar of East and West Harnham, Wilts, 1888-91, Vicar of Whitchurch Canonicorum, Dorset, 1891; died 20th, buried at Whitchurch, 23rd Oct., 1900, and of various sermons and papers. A Churchyard Cross, of Ham Hill stone, was erected to his memory at Whitchurch, Sept., 1902. He married 15th Sept., 1888, at Downton, Isabel-Majendie, second daughter of George Hill, M.A. Vicar of St. Winnow’s, Cornwall, 1864-87, and had issue: i. Isabel-Mary-Carola, born 28th May, 1890; and ii. Charles-Edward-Hobart, born 26th March, 1892.

3. Cuthbert Druitt, Lieutenant R.N.; born 15th June, 1850, at 39A Curzon St.; died 13th April, 1876, at Honda, Columbia, S. America, f.p. He married 14th Feb., 1876, at St. Gabriel’s, Clarendon, Jamaica, Elizabeth-Mary, daughter of John-Christie Foulds, of Clarendon Park, Jamaica, and of Glasgow.

4. Isabella Druitt, born 12th May, 1852, at 39A Curzon St., and married as his second wife, 4th Nov., 1880, at St. George’s, Campden Hill, to Major the Hon. Horace-Miles Hobart-Hampden, late 103rd Regt., youngest son of the sixth Earl of Buckinghamshire. They have issue; Isabella-Gertrude, born 16th August, 1882.

5. Lionel Druitt, M.R.C.S., England, 1875; L.R.C.P., London, 1877; B.M., Mast. Surg., 1877; D.M., 1882, Edinburgh; born 21st May, 1854, at 39A, Curzon St.; went to Cooma, N.S. Wales, in May 1886. He married, 2nd April, 1888, at St. John’s Wagga-Wagga, N.S.W., Susan-Cunningham, eldest surviving daughter of Andrew Murray of Crieff, Scotland, and has issue; i. Susan-Katherine, born at Wagga-Wagga, 20th Oct., 1889; ii. Isabella-Sarah-Jane, born at Swansea, Tasmania, 24th May, 1891; and iii. Dorothy-Edith, born at Koroir, Victoria, 28th Feb., 1899.

6. Emily Druitt, born 18th Feb., 1856, at 39A, Curzon St., Mayfair.

7. Katharine-Fitzroy Druitt, born 6th July, 1858, at 37, Hertford St., Mayfair; died 30th June, 1887, and was buried in her father’s grave at Kensal Green.
8. Gertrude-Elizabeth Druitt, born 9th Dec., 1862, at 37, Hertford St.; died 5th March, at 8, Strathmore Gardens, buried 9th March, 1901, at Kensal Green. She supplied some of the particulars here given.

II. James Druitt, of Christchurch, Hants, born 10th May, 1816; admitted a solicitor, 1838; Town Clerk of Christchurch, 1846-86; Councillor, 1887; Alderman, 1889; five times Mayor, 1850, 1859, 1867, 1888, and 1896; Chairman of the Board of Guardians, 1874-6; Master of the Hengist Lodge, Freemasons, 1844, 1845, and held many other public offices. He died 2nd, and was buried 6th July, 1904, at Christchurch, where his funeral was very largely attended. He twice married, first, 6th March, 1843, at New Alresford, Sarah-Neyle-Chapman (died 26th September 1858), daughter of Samuel Boswell, and had issue;

1. Sarah Druitt, born 3rd Oct., 1844; married at Christchurch, 19th April, 1877, as his second wife, to her cousin, Edward-Montague Hare, M.A., Rector of Little Dunham, Norfolk, who died 24th May, 1900. See HARE pedigree in this chapter..

2. James Druitt, of “Avebury,” Bournemouth; solicitor, 1867; Town Clerk of Bournemouth, 1890-1902; born 29th October, 1845. He married at Wimborne, 8th Oct., 1874, Augusta-Sophia, daughter of Henry-Tremenheere Johns, of Ringwood, and has issue: i. Augusta-Mary, born 20th Dec., 1878; ii. Catherine-Sybil, born 19th August, 1881; iii. Constance-Mildred, born 30th August, 1883; iv. James-Victor, born 12st June, 1887; and v. Geoffrey-Tremenheere, born 1st Sept., 1892.

3. George Druitt, Assistant Judge, Bombay Civil Service, born 12th Feb., 1847; died at Hyeres, France, 12th June, 1889, and buried there, unmarried.

4. Ann Druitt, born 1st September, 1848; died 6th April, 1850.

5. Jane Druitt, born 26th December, 1849.

James Druitt, senior, married, secondly, at Stoke next Guildford, 24th March, 1860, his cousin, Matilda-Jane, daughter of John Maro, of the fame (see ante, page 213), and had further issue:

6. Matilda Druitt, born 22nd November, 1860.

7. John Druitt, of “Woodstock,” Christchurch; solicitor, 1887; Town Clerk of Christchurch, 1892; born 27th Feb., 1862; married at the parish church, Eastbourne, Sussex, 25th July, 1893, Margaret, daughter of George Hardy, of Eastbourne, and has issue John-Basil-Hardy, born 21st Feb., privately baptized 23rd March, admitted 14th April, 1901.

8. Alan Druitt, of “Willow Lodge,” Christchurch; solicitor, 1890; born 20th July, 1863; joint author with Wm. Cassell Maude, M.A., B.C.L., Barrister-at-law, of The Assessment and Rating Manual, Londno [1901], 8vo, pp. 118. He married at St. Stephen’s, Gloucester Road, London, S.W., 18th Oct., 1900. Elizabeth-Galbraith, only daughter of Thomas Clarke, of Allerton Hall, Liverpool.

9. Mary Druitt, born 2nd August, 1864, died 10th March, 1865, at Christchurch.

10. Philip Druitt, M.A.; born 4th Oct. 1865; matriculated at Oxford, from St. Mary Hall, 24th Jan., 1885, and moved to University College, in the Mich. Term; 3rd class Lit. Hum., B.A., 1888, M.A., 1896; student at Leeds Clergy School, 1891; ordained Deacon, 20th Dec., 1891; Priest, 18th Dec., 1892, both at Ripon; curate of St. Bartholomew’s, Armley, Leeds, since 1891.

11. Melvill Druitt, of Christchurch; solicitor, 1891; born 19th Oct., 1866.

12. Barbara Druitt, born 23rd Nov., 1867; married at Mahanoro, Madagascar, 7th Jan., 1903, to Harold-Holmes Blair, B.A., Durham, in Holy Orders, son of James-Samuel Blair, M.A., Vicar of Killingworth, Northumberland.

13. Mayo Druitt, B.A.; born 13th Dec., 1869; matriculated at Oxford, from University College, in Oct., 1888; B.A., June, 1892.

14. Herbert Druitt, born 4th Jan., 1876; matriculated at Oxford, from Exeter College, 16th Oct., 1894; author of A Manual of Costume, as illustrated by Monumental Brasses, with 110 illustrations. London: Alex. Moring, 1906. Pp. xxii, 384. He has rendered invaluable assistance to the author during the preparation and printing of the 2nd edition of this History of the Mayo and Elton Families, and has supplied many particulars relating to the Druitt family.

15. Charlotte Druitt, born 13th January, 1878.

III. Thomas Druitt, born 21st Oct., 1817; left England for N.S. Wales, 1st Nov.,. 1847; ordained Deacon at Sydney, 3rd June, 1849, and subsequently Priest; incumbent of St. Paul’s, cooma, 1856-90, and of St. Paul’s, Murrumburrah, 1890; Canon of St. Saviour’s Cathedral, 1876, and Archdeacon of Monaro (Maneroo), Dioc. Of Goulburn, 1885; died 30th Dec., 1891, at “Chellis”, Petershame, Sydney; buried 1st Jan., 1892, at Rookwood C. of E. cemetery, Sydney. He married at Lisbon, 14th August, 1845, Helena-Hediviges-Clementina, daughter of William Purvis1 of “Cintra,” Lisbon; born 17th October, 1825; died 7th May, 1898, at “Mount View”, Summer Hill, Sydney; buried in Rookwood C. of E. cemetery. They had issue—

1. Thomas-William Druitt, of Deniliquin, N.S.W.; born at Lisbon 19th May, 1846; married 3rd Feb., 1875, at Bombala, N.S.W., Grace (born 28th July, 1856), eldest daughter of Henry Kesterton, and has issue: i. Maud-Mary, born 14th Nov., 1875, at Boloco, Monaro, N.S.W. died 12th, buried 13th Feb., 1884, at Wagga-Wagga; ii. Thomas-Henry-Cyril, born 6th March, 1878, at Cooma, Monaro; iii. Frederick-Clement, born 20th May, 1880, at Wagga-Wagga; both he and Thomas-Henry-Cyril served in the S. African War, 1900, 1st Contingent, Australian Bushmen, and have Medals with 4 Bars; iv. Helena-Alice, born 13th Feb., 1883, at Wagga-Wagga; v. Clarence-Alfred, born 4th Feb., 1885, at Wagga-Wagga; died 26th, buried 27th Feb., 1900, at Deniliquin; vi. Edith, born 19th March, 1887, at Wagga-Wagga; vii. Ernest-Cuthbert, born 22nd Oct., 1889, viii. Muriel-Grace, born 13th May, 1892; and ix. Keith-Harold, born 6th May, 1895; all three born at Deniliquin.

2. Charles-James Druitt, of Walgett, N.S.W., born 14th August, 1848, at Woolloomooloo, Sydney; married, first, at Bombala, 9th Feb., 1872, Rebecca, eldest daughter of Henry-Clement Hogarth, and Clara de Witt, his wife XXX son of William Hogarth, of Bristol. She was born 27th Feb., 1851, died 29th March, 1883, at Narrabri, N.S.W., and was buried in C. of E. cemetery there. They had issue: i. Thomas-Henry-Purvis-Hogarth, born 27th Oct., 1872, at Yafs, N.S.W; married at St. Barnabas’, Glebe, Sydney, 14th June, 1899, Maud-Julie XX, 2nd daughter of late Henry Newcomen of Angledool, N.S.W., and has issue: (a) Richard-charles, born 20th Sept., 1900; (b) Mary-Purvis, born 10th Dec., 1901, both born at Kenny Park, St. Mary’s, N.S.W.; ii. Helena XX Robina, born 25th August, 1874, at Berrima, N.S.W.; married at St. Peter’s, XX, 5th March, 1902, to Andrew, youngest son of John Carson, of Melvourne, Victoria, and has issue (a) Doris-Marion, born 10th Jan., 1903, (b) Kenneth Gordon, born 24th March, 1904, both born at N. Sydney; iii. Charles H. Conrad, born 6th March, 1877, at Narrabri; served in S. African War, XX N.S.W., Bushmen, and took part in the Elands River engagement; died at Xxton, S. Africa, 21st June, 1905, and was buried in the roman Catholic cemetery there; iv. Henry-Edward-Clement, born 12th May, 1880; died 19th August 1883, at Narrabri, buried in his mother’s grave there; v. Alfred-Robert MXX, born 3rd July, 1882, at Narrabri; joined N.S.W. 2nd Mounted Rifles for XX in S. Africa; returned to N.S.W. after enteric fever at Norval’s Pont; married at St. John’s Darlinghurst, Sydney, 15th March, 1906, Rofe-Celia, daughter of Henry Evelyn.

Charles-James Druitt married, secondly, at St. Matthias’, Paddington, Sydney, 24th April, 1884, Charlotte, third daughter of Henry-Clement Hogarth, of Xxbala; born 17th August, 1858, died 16th August, 1897, at Walgett, buried at C. of E. cemetery there, and had issue: vi. Eleanor-Mary, born 22nd XX 1885, at Narrabri; vii. Arthur-Elton, born there 1st Nov., 1886, and XX Charlotte-May, born at Walgett, 6th May, died 28th Nov., 1895, buried at C. of E. cemetery there.

Charles-James Druitt, married, thirdly, at St. Philip’s, Church Hill, Sydney, 21st August, 1901 (Ven. Archdeacon John-Douse Langley officiating), Ethel Muriel, eldest daughter of late Fergus-Nelson Langley, of Sydney, born 21st XX 1879, at Glebe, Sydney, and has issue: ix. Thelma-Phyllis, born 9th July, XX at Rosedale, The Avenue, Petersham, Sydney.

3. Robert-Henry Druitt, born 21st Feb., 1850, at Sydney, killed by a XX 30th September, at Camden Park, N.S.W., buried 2nd October, 1899, at Camden. He married at Candelo, N.S.W., 6th May, 1885, Emma-Walworth (born 23rd March, 1852) second daughter of Henry Goldsmith of Goulburn, and had issue: Elton-Harold Goldsmith, born 21st July, 1887, at Sydney.

4. Helena-Elizabeth Druitt, born 27th October, 1851, at Sydney; married 6th May, 1872, at Cooma, to Henry (born 4th December, 1849), eldest son of Robert Dawson, Police Magistrate of Cooma, and has issue: i. Ethel-Helena-Margaret, born 20th July, 1873, died 27th, buried 29th Feb., 1876, at cooma; ii. Violet-Mary, born 28th October, 1874, at Cooma; married 6th January, 1900, at All Saints’, Peterfshame, to Thomas-Arthur (born 3rd Nov., 1870), eldest son of Thomas-Welch Ashton, of Longton, Staffs, and has issue: (a) Beryl-Mary, born 16th Dec., 1900; (b) Henry-Dawson, born 23rd Dec., 1902, and (c) Margaret-Bessie-Helen, born 12th Feb., 1905, all born at Marrickville, Sydney.

5. Georgianna-Jana Druitt, born 25th April, 1853, at Sydney; marriet at Cooma, 17th July, 1874, to Augustus-Venour (born 31st July, 1844, died 12th March, 1894, buried in Rookwood C. of E. cemetery), eldest son of Charles Nathan, D.M., and Harriet Fisher, his wife. They have issue: i. Helen-Ethel-Druitt, borth 17th May, 1875, married 27th April, 1898, at St. Mary le Boltons, Kensington, London, to George Henderson, M.P. for Dundee, 1880-1885, and Ellen Scroggie, his wife, and had issue: (a) Marjorie-Helen, born 8th May, 1900; (b) Kenneth-David-Druitt, born 4th Sept., 1903, both born in London, ii. Mabel-Anna-Druitt, born 20th May, 1877, at Petershame, iii. Charles-Frederick-Augustus-Druitt, born 29th Sept., 1879, at Deniliquin; iv. Leslie-George-Druitt, born 5th Jan., 1883, at Narrabri; v. Edith-Gertrude-Mary-Druitt, born 6th Nov., 1885, at Cooma; and vi. Ella-Marion-Druitt, born 10th Jan., died 13th Feb., 1886, at Cooma.

6. Frederick-John-Druitt, born 21st March, 1855, at Sydney; died 2nd June, 1856, buried in St. Stephen’s cemetery, Newtown, Sydney.

7. Edward-Frederick Druitt, born 29th Oct, 1856, at Sydney; married 6th Dec., 1883, Maria-Louise, 4th daughter of Henry Kesterton, of Bombala, and has issue: i. Edward-Thomas-Hobart, born 20th Sept., 1884, at Cooma; ii. Hilda-Hediviges-Jane, born 9th June, 1887, at Cooma; iii. Athelstan-William, born 7th April, 1890, as Castle Hill, N.S.W.; and iv. Mervyn-Robert-Kesterton, born 4th Nov., 1895, at Camden.

8. Mary-Emillia Druitt, born 7th Feb., 1857, at cooma; married 16th July, 1890, at All Saints’, Petersham, to Rev. Augustus-Rutherford Shaw (born 11th April, 1860, Deacon 1888, Priest 1889, Dioc. of Goulburn), and has issue: i. Edna-Mary-Anne-Jane, born 7th June, 1891, at Murrumburrah; ii. Frederick-Rutherford-Hobart, born 5th Nov., 1892, at Germanton; iii. Arthur-Thomas-Frank, born 26th March, 1894, at Germanton; iv. Edward-Seymour, born 9th August, 1895; v. Ella-Maud-Vance, born 19th February, 1897; and vi. Harold-Augustus-Druitt, born 5th Sept., 1898; all three born at Marulan.

9. Anna-Barbara-Clementina Druitt, born at Cooma, 24th June, 1861, married at Christ Church, Enmore, Sydney, 25th Sept., 1889, to James-Martin Proctor, solicitor (born 28th October, 1857), fourth son of John Proctor, of Sydney, and has issue: i. Helena-Mary, born 12th August, 1890, at Petershame; ii. James-Thomas-Gordon, born 17th Feb., 1893, at Petersham; iii. Ethel-Gertrude, born 27th August, 1895, at Lewisham, Sydney; and iv. Margaret-Purvis, born 16th June, 1898, at Ashfield, Sydney.

10. Alfred-John Druitt, born 24th August, 1863, at Cooma; married 6th July, 1885, at Wingham, N.S.W., Susanna-Josephine (born 5th Sept., 1860), daughter of Thomas Farrell, of Manning River, N.S.W., and has issue: i. Thomas-Clement, born 18th May, at Tinonee, died 20th July, 1886, buried at Woolla cemetery, Manning River; ii. Helena-Mary, born 30th July, 1887, at Tininee; iii. Alfred-Eric-Thring, born 23rd March, 1893, at Rosewood Farm, Hastings River; v. John-Edward-Purvis, born there 6th Feb., 1895; vi. Paul-Raymond, born there 22nd Nov., 1896; vii. Anna-Irene, born 23rd July, 1898, at Huntingdon Farm, Hastings River; and viii. Alma-Margaret, both 12th July, 1901, at Willawarin Farm, Macleay River.

11. Ethel-Robina Druitt, born at Cooma, 1st Nov., 1867; died 25th March, 1876; buried at Christ Church cemetery there.

IV. William Druitt, F.R.C.S., of Westfield, Wimborne Minster, J.P. for co. Dorset; born 23rd August, 1820; died 27th Sept., 1885, buried at Wimborne. He married at St. James’s Piccadilly, 3rd June, 1854, Ann, eldest daughter of John Harvey. She died at Chiswick, 15th Dec., 1890, aged 60. They had issue:

1. Georgiana-Elizabeth Druitt, born 19th April, 1855, and married at St. Peter’s, Bayswater, 27th April, 1886, to William-Woodcock Hough, M.A., C.C.C., Cantab., 1887, in H. orders, Vicar of Lewisham, Kent, 1905, and has issue: i. Margaret-Cuthberga, born 3rd June, 1887, at Wimborne; ii. John-William, born 24th June, 1889, in London; iii. Katherine-Mary, born there, 18th May, 1892, died 18th April, 1894; and iv. Agatha-Mary, born there 10th Nov., 1894.

2. William-Harvey Druitt, M.A., of Bournemouth; solicitor, 1881; matriculated at Oxford, from Trinity College, 19th Oct., 1874; M.A., 1882; born 29th April, 1856.

3. Montague-John Druitt, M.A., Barrister-at-Law, Inner Temple, 1885; matriculated at Oxford, 13th Oct., 1876, Scholar of New College, M.A., 1884; born 15th August, 1857, buried at Wimborne 10th Jan., 1889.

4. Edward Druitt, Lieut.-Col., R. Engineers, and one of the Board of Trade Inspecting Officers of Railways; born 19th April, 1859. He married at the private chapel, Manor House, Chideock, Dorset, 19th Feb., 1889, Christina-Mary-Filumena, eldest daughter of Sir Frederick-Aloyfius Weld, G.C.M.G., of Chdeock Manor, and has issue: i. Mary, born 24th Jan., 1890, at Brisbane, Queensland; ii. Mary-Magdalen, born 16th Feb., died 13th April, 1891, at Brisbane; iii. Raymond-Joseph, born 19th June, died 29th Sept., 1894, at Edinburgh; iv. Everard-Joseph, born 7th July, 1895, at New Brompton, Chatham.

5. Arthur Druitt, M.A. of Edinburgh; matriculated at Oxford, from New College, 14th Oct., 1882; M.A., 1891; born 5th June, 1863. he married at St. Thomas’s, Edinburgh, 25th July, 1894, Isabella-Barbara, eldest daughter of John Chiene, Professor of Surgery in the University of Edinburgh, and has issue: i. Hilda-Mary, born 6th June, 1895; ii. Dorothy-Frances, born 22nd June, 1897; and iii. Marjorie-Isobel, born 26th July, 1900.

6. Edith Druitt, born 18th July, 1867; married at St. Mary Abbotts, Kensington, 27th Dec., 1892, to Frederick-Daniel Vaughan, M.A., Cantab., in H. orders, Vicar of Emmanuel Church, Camberwell, 1899, and has issue: Gwendoline-Mary, born 28th Oct., 1893.

7. Ethel-Mary Druitt, born 9th February, 1871.

V. Jane Druitt, born 12th April, 1822. She died at Christchurch, 26th April, and was buried 30th April, 1880, at Wimborne, unmarried.

I'm also attaching this as a Word Document, which is better formatted for quick reference.
application/octet-streamDruitt Genealogy
DRUITT.doc (57.3 k)

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Chris Phillips
Sergeant

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen

Many thanks for that very full genealogical account of the Druitts. But has the generation of Montague's grandparents somehow dropped out of the text? Unless I'm missing something, it goes directly from Thomas Druitt (c. 1751-1814) and his wife Mary Gutch (d. 1809), who had children in the 1780s and 1790s, to Montague's uncles and aunts, born 1812 onwards.

Also one minor, but possibly significant, slip is that the second wife of Montague's uncle James was a Mayo, not a "Maro". It was her brother who had a business connection with the Macnaghtens - see the information from Shirley Richards above.

Chris Phillips

R.J. Palmer
Detective Sergeant
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charles William Druitt, married in Whitechapel in 1893, son born there the following year. Related to the Druitts in Mile End(?)

Also, has anyone found William Druitt in the 1891 Census? Thanks.

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 509
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
Re the genealogical info on the Druitts, I have recently had sight of the list of old boys from Westminster School which a number of the Druitts attended. This was published in 1927. I am posting the Druitt entries below.
Chris

westdru

Rebecca Foster
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shirley Richards above mentions a Rvd James Mayo, is this the same Rvd James Mayo that died in Avebury? There is a plark which says that he was born 29.12.1788 and died 27.11.1876 as opposed to 1755-1822

Amaranth Renewed
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Montague Druitt was brought into the Ripper gang to assist with the ' Double Murder '.

He was seen by Detective Stephen White as he left the scene of the Elizabeth Stride murder.

Druitt's precarious mental state led him to confess that he had taken part in a crime to his headmaster , and he intended to report what had happened to the police.

Druitt was murdered by his co-conspirators in the Ripper murders. His death was made to look like suicide but was actually a murder according to Masonic rituals.

Information was passed to the police that the Ripper had drowned himself. The rumour that Druitt was a doctor was made up by the conspirators to convince the police that Druitt had the necessary medical skills to perform the murders. The police accordingly scaled down their operations.

Walter Sickert was a member of the Ripper gang , and passed on the story that Druitt was the Ripper , calling him ' the Lodger '. Druitt became ' the patsy ' for the Ripper gang , due to his poor mental health and nerves. In fact he only acted the part of a lookout for the real killers.

Both Walter Sickert and Laurence Alma-Tadema painted scenes of the Ripper case for Edward , Prince of Wales. These paintings are still in existence and when they are revealed then the truth of the Ripper case will come out.

The secrets of the Ripper case lie with the British Royal Family.

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 534
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have found some more Druitt entries in a publication called Alumni Oxonieses (Oxford Men 1880-1892)

oxon

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 535
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been looking to see if I could find any of the pupils that Montague Druitt was listed as teaching in 1881 at valentine's school and what became of them.
I have tracked down one, Arthur Bousfield, who is listed in 1881 as a 14 year old pupil of Druitt who was born in Lee, Kent.
I have found Bousfield in the 1891 census, still living in Blackheath at 3 Dacre Park. he is listed as 24 years old, born in Lee, and profession is listed as a medical student. It would be fascintaing to know what role, if any, MJD played in his taking up medicine and if they talked this over.

abouse1891

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.