Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The Seaside Home Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Witnesses » The Seaside Home « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through July 01, 2004Robert Charles Linfo50 7-01-04  7:38 am
Archive through September 07, 2004Thomas C. Wescott50 9-07-04  10:19 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2970
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 4:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom

I always buy books in paperback edition where possible. It just seems a waste to buy the hardback if waiting a few months will let me buy it at half the price.

There's a book reviewed in "Ripperologist" that's 204 pages hardback, price : £75. How can a new book cost that much? I mean, what's in it? The meaning of life?

Robert

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 1:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

I was just looking at an ad for a new cryptozoology book coming out. Granted, it's probably large, but it cost 136 pounds (I'm an American, so I have to spell that out), which would be over $200!!!! And this is cover price. it's brand new, no collector's item. Blows my mind. I prefer to read softcovers, because they're just easy to read, but with Ripper books, if it's one I plan to buy, I usually don't wait. My curiosity won't let me.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 3:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is my Myth really worth all them millions now?
Heavens... I must start shifting the several thousand I have stored away in a lock-up garage in Islington.
I agree with Robert... a new volume, even hardback, shouldn't cost more than a fiver.
Through a local press I could produce a respectable hard back edition for less than a pound a copy.
I've said it before, but I'll say it again, if you took all the greed, lust, salicious appetite, wickedness, tom-foolery and sheer bare-arsed cheek in the world you would not match the amount available in the publishing world today.
Bunch of scoundrels and scalleywags.
Including the writers... especially me.

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps I exagerated on the going rate of A.P.'s book. Ha ha. And I took it for granted that it would be known that it's current rate is the collector's rate, and not a price endorsed or placed on the book by A.P. (to the best of my knowledge). Strangley, collectors and sellers of an author's book after it becomes a collector's item stand the chance of making more money from it than the author did!
As for the publishing world, it's becoming ever smaller. What are there now, like 3 or 4 major publishing companies, as opposed to the dozens around just a few decades ago? And is it just me, or do most of these 'blockbuster novels' read like movies waiting to happen?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

CB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 3:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom,

Thanks for you response! I have been reading as fast as I can so I can get up to speed on this theory. I read something interesting. I am not sure if it is fact or not but the source claims that Lewende the man who most commentators believe was the witness who made the identification was also asked to try and Identifiy Sadler the man who was suspected in the killing of Frances Coles. Is this true?

All the best,CB

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have actually now managed to find a couple of London coppers resident at the Seaside Home in 1891, but the copy I have is so bad that I can't read their names.
The one is an inspector, and I believe his name might be 'James Hay'; the other is a constable and is illegible.
If anyone has a better record of the 1891 census where the names are legible I would be very grateful.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4098
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 4:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

See the start of this thread where there is a transcription from a man called Ron Taylor and Chris Scott posted the image.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 5:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, Robert, it's possibly that brandy again.
Just sorting through old files and then I tend to forget that they are indeed old files.
But regardless of that, I remain convinced that the Whitechapel Murderer will be named through the wonderful combination of good Spanish brandy and the study of old files.
One just has to keep their head in such lucky circumstance.
My sincere apologies.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4099
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 5:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't worry, AP. The other day Natalie mentioned some of my old poems and I didn't know what she was on about.

Robert

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 7:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a wonderful phrase, AP: "...the Whitechapel murderer will be named..."

Ah!
Mags

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.