Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through September 03, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed (Cornwell, 2002) » Bargain Basement » Archive through September 03, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Savage
Sergeant
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All

Some of you may be intersted to note that today I purchased a copy of Miss Cornwell's book for a mere £4.99 (reduced from £17.99) from a local discount book shop that speclializes in remaindered books.

I shall read with interest when I have the time.

John Savage

David O'Flaherty
Detective Sergeant
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good luck with it, John. Please post your thoughts when you've finished it and if you still consider your purchase a bargain :-)

Cheers,
Dave

Brian W. Schoeneman
Inspector
Username: Deltaxi65

Post Number: 254
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,

You still paid too much.

B

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brian,
Whatever your thoughts on Patricia Cornwalls,attempt to unravel the Ripper mystery,We must give her the respect she deserves, She is a brilliant author,and she did attempt to prove her suspect guilty, and go to extreme lengths in her research, I am in admiration of her, but unfortunately she has come across a barrage of critics across the globe, and sometimes that can be the price, that one has to accept when attempting to solve such a well discussed subject.
Richard.

Brian W. Schoeneman
Inspector

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard,

I have no respect for charlatans or thieves. Calling her book "Case Closed" and claiming that she has solved the mystery is disrepectful to everyone who has written on this case, and she has added more muck to Ripperology.

Therefore, I feel that I am giving her the respect she deserves. None.

B

Caroline Anne Morris
Detective Sergeant
Username: Caz

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 5:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Brian,

Would you consider other authors' firmly made claims to have solved the mystery equally disrespectful, or would you apply a sliding scale depending on other factors such as plausibility of suspect, when they were first suspected and by whom, or whether you think the author himself/herself was in a position where they should have known better? (I'm assuming evidence doesn't come into it - or how well or poorly it is presented - as it is almost universally lacking and wouldn't put any one of 'em in the dock.)

Is there ever an excuse, in your opinion, for claiming in print that one has named the ripper, or even the most likely ripper?

Love,

Caz

Brian W. Schoeneman
Inspector

Post Number: 259
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz,

I can forgive people who use facts and have performed good research into the case when they claim to have found the Ripper, even if their case isn't rocksolid. This is especially true if they've made Ripper study part of their life's work.

When you can't even get the spelling of a victim's name correct, you lose a lot of credability in my book.

There's responsible writing, and irresponsible writing. You can guess where I put PC's book.

B

Jennifer D. Pegg
Sergeant
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi
all i want to say is i think having a suspect and trying to prove them JTR is the wrong way to go about doing things

Caroline Anne Morris
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Brian,

waddya mean - even if their case isn't rocksolid???

If it's a sin at all to name the ripper, or even the most likely in one's own opinion, isn't it as bad, if not worse, coming from someone already in the field who has bags of credibility to lose?

Funny, I had the strong impression that Cornwell had little to start with, being a newcomer to (supposedly) true crime writing who has totally screwed up as far as we can all see. I'm surprised that you think spelling the victims' names correctly would have given her work an ounce more credibility, considering her theory is made up of one part hasty research to nine parts gut feeling.

Love,

Caz

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"When you can't even get the spelling of a victim's name correct, you lose a lot of credability in my book."

When you can't even get the spelling of a simple word like "credibility" correct, you lose a lot of credibility in my book, too.

Caroline Anne Morris
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't that a wee bit unkind, Saddam? Brian isn't, as far as we know, a professional writer, is he?

Love,

Caz

Brian W. Schoeneman
Inspector

Post Number: 262
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saddam,

When you can't even post under your real name, you lose all credibility.

I win.

B

Gary Weatherhead
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz

Speaking of professional writing, congrats on your upcoming book.

A book about a book? Only in JTR circles could this prove interesting.

Best Regards
Gary

Caroline Anne Morris
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Gary.

Not so much a book about a book, more a book about the whole stink that book has caused.

A book about a stink about a book? Yes, perhaps only in JtR circles.

Love,

Caz

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The computer won't accept my real name! That's why I don't use it. It should be remembered that I previously posted exclusively under my real name for 8 years.

SHTD

Caroline Anne Morris
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Brian,

Simply click on the missing brutal dictator’s moniker and up pops the poster’s true identity – it’s not exactly rocket science.

Of course, it can take a veritable Miss Marple to work out who has in the past fired off missiles using a mask or two to hide behind. I hear Miss M has had to remain tight-lipped in case the old poison pen changes MO and tries to slip her a poisoned rock cake.

Love,

Caz

Brian W. Schoeneman
Inspector

Post Number: 266
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz,

I know who our old friend posting here is - it wasn't tough. I just liked sticking it to him.

Nothing personal, Waddy.

B

John Savage
Sergeant
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David O'Flaherty,

You asked for my thoughts on Miss Cornwell's book, and having now had chance to peruse this ill written tome, I can sum up in a word - drivel. Never worth the cover price (£17.99) so I am glad I only wasted £4.99.

I was interested in reading the details of watermarks in the paper used to write some of the JTR letters, however I am afraid that it takes us no where. The analysis of the paper should have mentioned that papers watermarked with a date were made in victorian times, for security purposes and were most commanly used in banks and the legal proffession etc.

My reason for starting this thread, was that as publishers find they have printed more copies of a book than they have sold, they tend to sell of surplus stock at knock down prices. The lower he price the less popular the book. For this reason I think it would be interesting if anyone seeing this book on sale at a lower price than £4.99 (USD8.17) would let us know. That way we can perhaps judge the success of the book.

Regards
John Savage

David O'Flaherty
Detective Sergeant
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, John

I didn't care much for it, either. The high moral tone turned me off, and the rambling writing style indicated to me a text that was hastily prepared and lightly edited. I found it to be one of the most cynical books I've read in a long while, claiming to care so much for the vicitms while providing the weakest and flimsiest of cases against their supposed killer.

Others are more kind and point out that Ms. Cornwell should be applauded for attempting to apply modern methods to the letters. I'd agree with them, if Ms. Cornwell paid closer attention to what her results entitle her to claim.

I don't know about the figures, but I remember the book was on the bestseller's list for at least a couple of months after it was released. So while Ms. Cornwell might have failed in content, her fan base is so large that I'd bet that her publishers made a profit. And in the publishing world, that's what counts as a success. I hear she's continuing with her research, so I look for future updated editions.

Cheers,
Dave

Gary weatherhead
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All

Jennifer Re:
'...having a suspect and trying to prove them JTR is the wrong way to go about doing things.' I agree 100%. The facts are the cornerstones which must be the underpinning of any valid argument and hence court case. I believe Ms Cornwell indicates in several places that she knows her conclusion is too specific and precise for the evidence she presents. I notice statements like ..of course if this were to go to court or any good defense attorney... etc. I Think she knows that calling her book CASE CLOSED is at best naive and may be a bit disingenuous. Obviously this is just my opinion and is certainly suject to debate.

Caz
I'm obviously a day late and a dollar short when it comes to the backgrounds of the people on the message boards. Don't tell me that personalities and egos get involved in these boards.

I have sent away today to become a registered user. I expect to receive a full explanation of any intrigue that may be going on with my registration materials. Am I hoping for too much?

Best Regards
Gary

Gary Weatherhead
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S. I enjoyed your response to my post 'A book about a stink about a book?'

Gary

Tony Castell
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was given the book as a Christmas present and started reading enthusiastically straight away. I am still struggling to finish it because the writing style alone is so fanciful and penny dreadful-ish, let alone the lack of proof. There are some interesting points, such as the hotel guest book, but I assume that Sickert's name never appeared in it and so it is pure speculation that he ever visited the place.
The book retailed here in Canada at $39.99 and was surprisingly a best seller; JTR is not that big here so it must have been PC's usual army of fans who bought it mostly. I haven't seen it remaindered yet.
I agree with earlier posters that the "Case Closed" tag is what really galls, but I suppose "Case not really proven" wouldn't sell many books.

Lynn Carr
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Caz
Speaking of professional writing, congrats on your upcoming book.
A book about a book? Only in JTR circles could this prove interesting."

Is this an upcoming book about Cornwell's book? If so, how interesting.

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2003 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lynn,

'Fraid not - it's an upcoming book telling the inside story of the investigation into the 'Maybrick' Diary.

Love,

Caz

Jerry Only
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All I want to say is that, in this area, Ripperology, where countless theories (and their evidences) are bandied about and even the most fervent "fans" of the subject are reluctant to draw a line in the sand regarding this suspect or that one, I have some measure of respect for anyone who clearly identifies their suspect and then goes about setting up the case against them. I have less respect for people who exist merely to dismiss the work of others.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.