Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Help; Jack The Myth Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Jack the Myth (Wolf, 1993) » Help; Jack The Myth « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 169
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 4:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello A.P., Anyone

I have sent out feelers for this book to add it to my collection. What is a realistic price to expect to pay for a copy in reasonable but not pristine condition.

Thanks For Any Help
Gary

AP Wolf
Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 322
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Difficult Gary,

I am presently buying a good copy 2nd edition - the large print version - for $400 but this is in unusual circumstance.
The current internet price seems to be $375 for a first edition. Robert Hale hardback.
I don't know what will happen to prices if I do go ahead and publish a limited edition of the revised Myth - which I do believe I will this winter.
I suppose you could always nick one from your local library, this seems to be the way to go at the moment.
Or you could write a cracking poem and win the only signed edition in the world.
Good luck.

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 170
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 5:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks AP

I actually expected it to be a little worse.

I suspect prices won't change too much once the limited edition is published. Then again you never know.

My wife will suggest I start working on my limited poetry skills.

Thanks Again
Gary

Jack Traisson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 2:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gary,

Bob Hinton is actually auctioning off a copy on ebay if you or anyone else is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3540816336&category=2240

Cheers,

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 3:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jack

Thanks for the tip. Is this the copy that has the authors' photograph accidently included on the back flyleaf?

Best
Gary

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 6:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S.

I'm just kidding of course, AP's true identity is more closely guarded than the Crown Jewels.

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 495
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 6:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gary, for all we know, you're AP! And you're trying to get hold of a copy of your book so you can sign it and resell it at a profit.

Come, come, now. Own up.

Robert

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 7:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert

After conferring with my own legal counsel, I will state as follows -NO COMMENT- and no further questions at this time!

Thank You
G

John Savage
Detective Sergeant
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 4:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A P Wolf
I have just seen a copy of your book for sale on e bay - current price £21, and five days to go.

Just thought you might like to know.

Regards,
John Savage

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks John

At that price I'll take a couple of dozen copies.

Best
Gary

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 329
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 5:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John

Yes, I'm following this e bay sale with great interest. Just goes to show you that when you attempt to take specific messages outside of the colony nobody hears them.
I did offer $400 for this book but was turned down by the owner.
I am not willing to operate outside of the colony so he may yet have to take his twenty quid.
Quid pro quo.

Bob Hinton
Detective Sergeant
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 3:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Everyone,

Ap says I turned down her offer for the book. That's not quite the whole story. I gladly accepted her very kind offer, but instead of a normal transaction she wished me to send the book to a third party (in America) and then when he received it she would sent me the bank draft. Although slightly outside the normal way of doing business the customer is king so I agreed to this.

However the next message I got from her was that I was to send the book to the third party, and then she would send the bank draft also to the third party. In other words the third party gets the book and the bank draft and I end up with nothing. It was then presumably up to me to claim either the book or the bank draft from the third party who I may remind you lives 3,000 miles away!

When I pointed this out to her this is the reply I got:

"now you begin to understand the capricious nature of the wolf."

whatever that is supposed to mean. Anyway at this point I decided the whole thing was getting far too complicated and withdrew from the deal.

If the book doesn't sell I will be taking it to the Liverpool conference to sell there. Don't forget I am always eager to deal!

Bob

PS I also have a vg copy of The Killer Who Never Was and Punch 1888.

C.U.Too
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

unbelievable...I got a copy from the local library and promptly 'lost' it. had to pay the extortionate price of £15.99 to the library for a replacement and do a bit of label and stamping removal (no I didn't forget to run a powerful magnet over the spine) Sorry, AP, I would love to buy a copy brand new but it just wasn't available anywhere...then I discovered a reprint is in the offing in aussie land (http://www.booktopia.com.au/featuredbook1.asp?StoreURL=booktopia&bookid=0709051514) at the reasonable price of about £19 plus postage...ah well...

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 2:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would have done the same thing.

Yes, I know the Oz site offering the 'Myth' for about twenty quid, but it is a pre-order arrangement, which I followed up once already, and reached the conclusion that it was indeed a myth.
I will check again though.
So thanks for that, and if they do attempt a reprint I'll roger them all the way to the bank.
I tried to buy a copy myself on Ebay when drunk last night and made a right muddle of it.
Ah well...

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 559
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 7:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Am I alone in thinking the above action a little immoral and selfish? (Not you trying to buy a copy of your book on eBay, AP!). I don't often take people to task as I don't like conflict, but dishonesty sits uncomfortably with me, and it deprives other people from reading it.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2194
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 6:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, Philip
I would have replied earlier but I was down the library nicking the last copy of 'Jack the Myth' which I have now launched on EBay for a fiver.
I agree, I should shoot myself in the leg for this terrible crime, but hey, Cornball makes six milion so who is going to quibble about a few library no-returns where you can turn £15 into £50?
My morals are with the thieves and bandits.
It is the published authors that I would like to shoot... and that includes my good self.
Bunch of self seeking, money grabbing and ego grubbing maggots.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 6:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i like it AP.
I"m right out there too-don"t really understand the straight world![well I do but dont belong there!]

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2201
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Natalie
we have ex-cops publishing best sellers based purely on the research of hard working journalists from the LVP, and making a right royal mint from it; we have people throwing their great uncles in the ring simply because that chap once held a small knife to blot a woman; we have Cornball licking postage stamps; we have DNA samples from old surgical spits; we have, we have, we have... a lot of shysters, shylocks and complete and utter charlatans and blaggards who aim to make a lot of money from this game, and you know what?
In twenty years time it will be this pile of crap that rules the roost, and goes to conference to give lecture.
But, my dear and innocent artist, not if we have anything to do with it.
For it is my avowed aim to cull this nonsense and crap, and see a truth that is not attached to a cheque for a great deal of money.
It is they, the bloated and flatulent shysters, who deserve moral condemnation.
Let the library thief have his fifty pounds.
I have bigger fish to fry.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2047
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 6:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes.I get angry too about the way the material
has been plundered and recycled and then made capital from.
To me the Cutbush case is one that captures the essence of the Ripper as I envisage him.That is very astute,very aggressive and paranoid and very aggrieved about being wronged by this one and that ,whether it was an old man"s jibe, catching syphilis from a prostitute or being poisoned by a doctor---
---someone, somewhere was always out to get Thomas Cutbush .
I dont see the ripper as some sexually motivated serial killer.
This killer was determined to play with his toys-punishing them in public--denouncing their "sins"-mostly their imagined sinning against him.He has no message --its just feverish gibberish that makes no sense to anyone else
except himself.And boy could he move when he needed to!
If you want to understand the mind of the ripper you need to go into the wilderness of madness
not the neat and tidy lawns of Macnaghten and co.
And if you do that you start to catch a glimpse of him
and thats what you did AP-all that time ago!
Whether it was through the visionary haze of alcohol or hard research or just plain hunch....
you got nearer than anyone else in my view to who the ripper was or might have been.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4560
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 6:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re authors, I don't like :

1. Celebrity airheads who get other people to write their books for them.

2. People who write monster books like "War and Peace". How did Tolstoy have the cheek to write a book that long?

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2204
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 1:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Natalie
you almost make me blush, but that's probably the visionary alcohol.
I do appreciate your very kind comments.

Robert
Re authors, I don't like :

Me.
And everyone else.

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 433
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Must jump in late here to say:

Please don't steal books from libraries!

PLEASE PLEASE don't steal books from libraries!

Checking them out and not returning them is stealing whether you pay for them or not.

So many books go out of print quickly. Libraries are they one way that everyone can have access to information. No amount of money can replace a book!

I must sit down!

Oh, my little librarian's heart is all aflutter. Now, be good little girls and boys from now on. I'm watching you!!

Mags

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 3:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mags
If it makes you feel better I'll replace every copy stolen from a libary in the United Kingdom, gratis.
This is not something I approve of, but there are worse crimes, like writing the things in the first place.
Hope your little heart astops afluttering.

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 569
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 7:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mags

Yeah, you rock! Librarian kicking ass here!

I know there is the occasional poster on these boards who finds me priggish at times but thanks for the confirmation. Theft is theft is theft.

AP - water your brandy down to a pale translucent consistancy for a week you naughty boy. And neither of us won your latest copy on eBay. I wonder what the reserve was?

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 436
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 8:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, AP that would make me feel better!

I'll alert my colleagues to keep an eye out for you and I hereby commission Philip to follow up.
Mags

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.