Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Man Hunters of Scotland Yard (Fowler ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Man Hunters of Scotland Yard (Fowler 1933) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 329
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this article during some recent research.

Gettysburg Times (Pennsylvania) 1 April 1933

Murder's Afoot

The favorite haunt of mystery fans may now be investigated at first hand in a book by Arthur Fowler Neil - who should know Scotland Yard if anyone does. For years he was superintendent of the criminal investigations department and naturally his "Man Hunters of Scotland Yard" deals with that phase of the organization's work.
Those who like to exhume ancient sensations will be interested to know that Mr. Neil has a new solution for the "Jack the Ripper" murders in England and the United States.

Does anyone know anything about this book and what this "new solution" was?
Any help gratefully received!
Chris S

PS I hope the date of the article (April 1st) is not significant!

Wolf Vanderlinden
Sergeant
Username: Wolf

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris.

Neil had worked on the Borough Poisoning Case and later published his belief that George Chapman was the Ripper. This explains the "a new solution for the "Jack the Ripper" murders in England and the United States" line as Chapman was connected to the Carrie Brown murder in New York in 1891 by London newspapers after is arrest in 1902 and his trial in 1903.

Wolf.

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 330
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks Wolf- just what I needed:-)
Chris

John Ruffels
Detective Sergeant
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Chris,
From memory, Neil's book is cited in the bibliography of some of the older, earlier Ripper books.
I notice he doesn't get a guernsey in the "A to Z".

John Ruffels
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently, a publisher friend of mine here in Sydney, Australia, who knew of my interest in locating the elusive Farson pamphlet : "THE EAST END MURDERER : I KNEW HIM ( by Lionel Druitt, Drewett or Drewery, and allegedly privately published at Dandenong, Victoria in 1890 ), discovered a most interesting publication.
No, it is not THE Dandenong Document; it is a September, 1953 (first issue) of an Australian
MASTER DETECTIVE magazine.
On the cover is a most attractive 1950's female in a candy-striped very low-necked off-the-shoulder number. Just behind her is her left hand in the vice-like grip of an unseen man, of whom, only the coatsleeve and shirtcuff and hand are visible...
All this is to illustrate the lead story inside:
' "I KNEW JACK THE RIPPER" - page 4' it says at the bottom of the cover.
THe publishers are a familiar group called K.G.Murray Publishing Company, 56 Young Street Sydney ( Printed by Cumberland Newspapers Ltd Macquarie Street, Parramatta ) .
K.G.Murray was the publisher of the pre - PLAYBOY
magazine MAN Magazine in Australia.
The Ripper story turns out to be the earliest version of the familiar GRIFFITH S. SALWAY story about the author's encounter with the South American Ripper suspect, ALONZO MADURO. ( See "A To Z ").
As well as the story, there is interesting biographical information on the author including, in the "Editor's Note" at the beginning a description of Salway as "a refined, quiet-spoken gentleman of obvious culture, has come forward at the age of eighty-seven to disclose that he knew Jack The Ripper and in fact was a friend of his, but, of course, did not suspect his true character " .
At the end of the page 4 - page 13 story, Salway has appended some personal details to reassure readers of his bona - fides. He began work at Gresham House London in 1888 as a shorthand/typist. Worked for Viscount Mountmorres, the journalist; the first job Salway had, was to type up Mountmorres' interview with Lord Tennyson for the Harmsworth brothers' magazine ANSWERS.
S. maintained his friendship albeit desultorily, with the Harmsworths after he went to New York.
There, Salway had two jobs in twenty-five years: the first with an important cotton oil corporation ,the other with a large firm of international accountants.
Reference is also made by the Editor ( in a post article, further " Editor's Note " ) to a story published ' more than nineteen years ago ' entitled THE AMAZING CRIMES of the ORIGINAL JACK THE RIPPER by Alvin F. Harlow.
(The only new factor I can see in this latter's writing is the perpetuation of the alleged chalked graffitti which gave a name to the murderer and said :
"FIVE! 15 MORE, AND I GIVE MYSELF UP" ) .

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant
Username: Fido

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all!
The A-Z has always had to make difficult decisions about what to put in and what to leave out, given the excess of material over space allowed by the publishers. So books like Neill's which neither devote themselves to the Ripper case, include personal recollections of the investigation, nor include a genuinely new and unique solution, tended to go by the board.
I don't know whether Keith knew of the MAN magazine piece. I certainly didn't.
Thanks to all for adding information.
All the best,
Martin F
PS In my vocabulary a guernsey is a heavy crew-necked sweater used on the water. I'd love to know what it means in John Ruffel's metaphor.

Wolf Vanderlinden
Sergeant
Username: Wolf

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all.

I would like to add to my earlier post and point out that Neil's book was titled Forty Years of Man-Hunting in its original British publication but for some reason this was changed to Man Hunters of Scotland Yard for its American publication. Possibly because the American public had never heard of Superintendent Arthur Fowler Neil and it was felt that the words "Scotland Yard" were needed to sell the book. Anyone interested in reading the Ripper related passage from Neil's book can find it in Sugden.

Wolf.

John Ruffels
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My apologies to Chris and Wolf for muscling in on their discussion.
I suppose the flimsy link of NewYork/London/Ripper
triggered me into flying off in another direction.
Sorry.
Martin: as regards my metaphor use of "guernsey".
This is quite common in Australia. It is a football allusion; where the words "jersey" and "guernsey" are interchangeable!
If one is chosen to be included in the team, one receives a jersey - or guernsey.
One has been called.
Adverting to the Griffith S Salway publication above. I note there is a small amount of genealogical information on Google which reveals his father(?) was born in Honiton. And Griffith was named for his mother's maiden name.
Chris, it looks as if every Scotland Yard man around the turn of the twentieth century was chasing the guernsey for being the one who knew most about Jack The Ripper.
John R.

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant
Username: Fido

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks, John R. A quick check back with OED shows that it concurs that guernsey is used for football shirts.
All the best,
Martin F

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.