Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Excellent Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Complete History of Jack the Ripper (Philip Sugden, 1995) » Excellent « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Derby Viking
Police Constable
Username: Derby

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 4:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have read many books om JtR over the years and haven't read one any better than this. Philip Sugden cuts through all the fiction and falsehoods in the case and looks closely at just what is factually known. It is astounding the amount of myths perpertrated by previous authors which Sugden points out.
I would say this is perfect for anyone interested in the case, whether a "veteran" or someone just starting to learn about JtR.

Jennifer Mohney
Police Constable
Username: Bootsoffire

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Derby,

I am new to the material, but must admit that
Sugden's book has been the most interesting so
far that I've had a chance to read. Why? He doesn't force his theories down your throat from page one. A very informative and interesting read!

boots

Erin Sigler
Sergeant
Username: Rapunzel676

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 3:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He does lay the Chapman stuff on a bit thick towards the end, which sort of undermines his credibility as a thoroughly unbiased researcher. Still one of my favorite Ripper books, though.

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 571
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 9:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of all the Ripper books I've read so far I think Sugden's is still the most reliable one and is also loaded with facts. And as Jennifer says, he doesn't try to stress a suspect to the same extent as other authors. I reacted to the Chapman thing as well (since he seems quite unlike as a candidate in this context), but I believe he is just presenting him, he doesn't really try to stress him as a favourite suspect, I think.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Erin Sigler
Sergeant
Username: Rapunzel676

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 3:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree that Sugden does an impressive job of marshalling the facts. It's unavoidable that his opinion should shine through occasionally--his ready acceptance of the Goulston Street Graffito, for instance. I may be a bit biased, though, since I read Martin Fido's book first.

Still, it's the first book I recommend for someone new to the case.

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 575
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 6:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I read Fido's book first, and I admit it has coloured my views on other books as well a bit. I must say, though, that Sugden is a bit more objective in his approach - this could be one reason for his book still being regarded as one of the more credible - another reason may be that it contains relatively few factual errors, something that has made Rumbelow's book, for example, a bit outdated (although that is a good beginner's book as well).

Martin Fido's book is more coloured by his own opinions, but it is also more entertaining, really. Fido is an excellent story-teller, while Sugden maybe feels a bit correct and stiff at times. And as you say, Erin, there are certain details that the latter regards a s stated facts (although I believe he's in good company regarding that...).

Too bad Fido's book suffered from such a disastrous type-face; it was hardly readable, but then it could be because I work with typography myself, of course...

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Meganb
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 4:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recieved this book for Christmas last year, and I must say that it's one better books on this subject.
I appald Philip Sugden for his wonderful research and he sticks to the facts of the case.

Richard Schouten
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 6:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must agree that Sugden's book is not as colourful as the Fido book mentioned here but it's the most complete book I've read on the subject. Lots of well researched facts which were new to me and written in an objective manner which is quite unusual in books on jtr.

Adam Went
Police Constable
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 1:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought Philip Sugden's book a few months back, and it only took me about 2 weeks to get through. It's one of those books that, for the most part, is hard to put down because you have the urge to read on and see "What happens next".
George Chapman was always my favourite suspect, even before I bought Sugden's book, so I didn't mind reading the information about him to corroborate the opinions I had already formed.

I only have one problem with Sugden's otherwise excellent book. The newspaper articles and quotes he talks about. Now when it suits towards a fact he is talking about, then he accepts several of the newspaper articles to be correct, and a source of information when nothing much else is available. In other instances, when he's trying to make a point about another fact, it seems to me that he tended to discredit newspaper articles with opposing views or opinions in them. So it just seemed somewhat confusing to me about how some could be accepted as fact and others as fiction, in order to make or break a fact.

But, overall, the book gets 4 1/2 stars out of 5 from me!

Regards,
Adam.

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leaving the fianl section on Chapman apart (why did Sugden do it, because it leaves one questioning his judgement) I think Sugden is the best single volume I have read in almost 40 years of interest in the mystery.

I have enjoyed most of the books published over the years (my shelves have almost everything published in the UK since the 60s) - McCormack, Cullen, (Knight - fascinating stuff on first reading almost 30 years ago) all of Melvyn Harris; Rumbelow, of course - a breakthrough in approach in his own right at the time; the 1988 Centennial bunch including Fido, Odell, Wilson and others; and I had considered Begg to be one of the most reliable factually (but why does he now keep publishing the same material under different titles?)

But Sugden is the first author on the subject who is academically reputable in terms of scholarship, style and approach. I gave a copy to a friend recently as an introduction to the subject.

I think if I had to keep only two non-reference books on the subject they would be Sugden and Rumbelow. But we now have reference books too - and I think the A-Z; the Ultimate Source Book and Letters from Hell are indispensible, and for me now take precedence over the narrative accounts.

But bravo Sugden - I hope he keeps an up-to-date edition in print for as long as possible.

Phil

mvario
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 6:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a Ripper newbie, and this is one of the 2 books I've read so far. The other was Begg's Jack the Ripper: The Facts. I found both of the books excellent for bringing me up to speed on the Ripper case. I picked both of these because of the positive reviews on Casebook.org. As to favorite suspect, I'm leaning towards the belief that none of the named suspects were responsible.

Adam Went
Sergeant
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 5:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I don't think there really is too big of a deal with Sugden's chapter on Chapman. Remember, he never actually says the case is solved or anything else like that, as some other authors have before. He simply says that Chapman is a strong suspect and also needs to have a chapter. As I said before, I'm probably biased because Chapman is my suspect anyway, but right through the book Sugden gives an even handed, facts-only approach to the whole story, and knocks out a few long standing myths in the process. I wouldn't let 1 chapter, the end chapter, ruin over 20 other chapters of brilliant research and interesting information.

I was initially tossing up between getting the A-Z or Sugden's book first, but Sugden's had 5 stars on Amazon, and so I bought that first. Though A-Z had 4 1/2 stars as well. That's next on my list. But I don't regret buying Sugden's book for one moment. Great work, Mr. Sugden!

Cheers,
Adam.

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 2:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, there are still several million Londoners from 1888 who haven't yet been suggested!!!

I'm sure they will be in due course.

Phil

Buckeye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 9:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to all above for leaving such interesting reviews. I just purchased Sugden's book from Amazon.com and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival.

I've read many of the other books published and noted above so I'm no newbie. My interest in Saucy Jack seems to get ramped up each fall.

I can't imagine why.....

Landroval
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 8:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip Sugden's book is indeed excellent, the best I've read, although the A to Z is not far behind. Other good books that I've read are the ones by Paul Begg (The Uncensored Facts), Martin Fido, (both of these back in the early 90's) and more recently one by John Eddleston. The first book I ever read was one by Colin Wilson and Robin Odell, which I thought was great at the time, as a newcomer, but which seems a bit outdated today.

I've never read The Diary, Stephen Knight's theories or Patricia Cornwell's recent effort because I prefer the objective books to the self publicising ones.

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 815
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 6:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Landroval - all good points.

Eddelston's book is often overlooked but I happen to think it one of the better ones.

Sugden I too rate as my #1 Ripper book, though books with Rumbelow, Evans or Begg as the authors can't be bad either.
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.