Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The Killer Who Never Was Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Killer Who Never Was, The (Turnbull, 1996) » The Killer Who Never Was « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Catherine Ann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 8:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering has anybody else read this book and if so what do they make of it? It's a relatively easy book to read and kept me interested. But so far I don't find myself convinced that all victims of "Jack the Ripper" were actually killed by different people, unless of course there was a gang going around. Emma Smith I believe was reported to have stated she was attacked by a gang before she died and I believe it a plausible idea that "Jack" separated from the gang and perhaps went out to work on his own. Also I think it likely he was perhaps just a horse slaughterer rather than a medical man. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has knowledge of this book. I haven't quite finished it yet. It is a rare find apparently, I acquired it on ebay for quite a substantial bid!

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 356
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 4:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Catherine Ann,

Yes I read the book when it first came out and found it rather muddled and lacking in any convincing points.

Turnbull's argument is, broadly speaking, that knife attacks where quite common so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the attacks were carried out by different people - possibly copycats.

I have a copy of it for sale if anyones interested and also a copy of Whittington Egans Casebook.

Bob

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 755
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 2:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the book too - I think I referred to it in another thread only recently.

I wasn't convinced by the argument, but like AP's book (questioning Stride as a Ripper victim and promoting Cutbush) - which as I recall appeared around the same time - I found it made one think and question. To me that is so important.

It really made me go back to basics, and that journey means that today I can only be certain of three of the canonical victims as being correctly ascribed, with Kelly as a possible fourth.

I owe a debt of gratitude to any author or poster here who makes me question this case and think more deeply about it, or look at the case from a different angle.

Whittington Egans' book, which has gained an almost legendary status, is (I think) the only major book on the case since Matters that I have not read. Does it live up to its reputation, Bob?

Phil

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.