Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through June 01, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Ripperologist » Ripperologist issue 59: May 2005 » Archive through June 01, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ripperologist magazine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 1:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

May05 Rip

BRACE FOR THE RIP

Prepare for action, gird your loins, hitch up your pants, loosen your corset, drop your anorak, adjust your tie, remove your shoes, put on your slippers, pour your tea, decant your brandy, grab your six-pack, head for your armchair – steel yourself: this issue of Ripperologist is not for the faint-hearted.

As you start your magical mystery tour through the world of Ripperology, you’ll be met at the gates by the latest cover by production wizard Adam Wood: Sir John Williams meets profiling. Your emcee for this issue, North American Editor Christopher T George, will then ease you into the proper mood with his editorial account of ancient fabulists and modern theorists, The Elephant in the Case.

Next, you will come across The Art of Profiling an Historical Case, where Dr James A Bailey, an academic and an investigator with vast practical experience, does what he does best and takes a hard-nosed, no-nonsense look at the Whitechapel murders in the light of modern forensic techniques.

For a slight change of pace, Ripperologist has secured an exclusive interview with Tony Williams and Humphrey Price, the authors of Uncle Jack, and asked them the questions everybody has been dying to ask.

You will then be led westwards by Joe Chetcuti, the chronicler of the quack doctor, herbalist rogue, pimple-cream peddler – and perhaps cold-blooded killer – Dr Tumblety. In Tumblety in London: Trailing an Infiltrator, Joe follows his antihero as he tries to break into one of Victorian London’s most exclusive men’s clubs.

It’s chalks at dawn when Howard Brown of Philadelphia and Neil Bell of Leicester go mano a mano in a deadly debate over the merits of the Goulston Street Graffito. Is it evidence, as Howard asserts, or mere scribblings, as Neil affirms? These two take no prisoners. Read Etched in Brick, by Howard, and Positioning, by Neil, and you’ll never look at a wall in the same way again.

Ripperologist pays homage to Sir John Mills (1908-2005), the enduring, best loved actor who, at the age of 85, gave the world one of the most chilling interpretations of Jack the Ripper.

Chris Scott brings you everyone’s favourite section, the holy of holies, often imitated but never duplicated, his indispensable Press Trawl.

Wilf Gregg has gone over murder most foul in all its calamitous manifestations to choose for you the pick of the latest crop of true crime books in his regular column, On the Crimebeat.

In case you think this is not enough bang for your buck – it takes all kinds – there’s I Beg to Report, with all the news that’s fit to print, and then some; Dear Diary – not that one but a calendar of Ripper-related events; the Platt Diary Report – this time it is that one; Letters & Comments – though no-one writes letters any more: will they publish The Selected E-Mails of J K Rowling, Stephen King or Paul Begg one day?; Glenn’s The Adventures of Inspector Abberline Junior; and our celebrated Reviews, with evaluations of Uncle Jack, Walter Dew: The Man Who Caught Crippen, On the Trail of Jack the Ripper, Mary Celeste: The Greatest Mystery of the Sea and many others.

And when you have read all this, and looked at all the pictures, there’s still the acclaimed Last Word: erudition, style and wisdom by Christopher-Michael DiGrazia.

And you could try and guess which one of us writes the bits that go unsigned. We won’t be telling.

No fillers, no reprints, no MGS, no CGIs, no GMCs, no sugar and no artificial colourings; and no animals were injured during the production of this issue of Ripperologist.

We simply don’t know how anyone can do without the Rip. Inconceivable. Utterly odd, if you ask us. But if any of you out there still hasn’t got a subscription – and only if you subscribe will you be able to share in the bounty – read carefully what follows. We will print it only once.

Ripperologist is published in January, March, May, July, September and November. The cost is £ 24 ($ 60, € 36) for six issues, inclusive of postage. If you’re short of sterling, dollars and euros, do not despair. We’ll find a way to take your franc, krone, krona, peso, real, lev, yuan, koruna, forint, rupee, yen, rupiah, shekel, shilling, dinar, zloty, leu, tolar, baht, lira, bolivar, rand, won, wampum, seashell, travellers’ check, gold bullion, stock or grandmother’s diamond ring – you name it. If you want to make it easy on yourself, though, visit www.ripperologist.info and subscribe online. Do it now – or you’ll miss this issue.

And don’t forget:

ONLY THE RIP TOPS THE RIP

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 356
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 8:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This issue sounds totally godly. Can't wait to get it. The Tony Williams interview frustrates me though, cuz I still don't have his book! Hopefully, I'll have in the next week. I ordered it weeks ago. I'm also still waiting on Trevor Marriott's book which I ordered a month ago, and on Speare's book, which I ordered in...get this...January! Amazon.com hates me.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. The new issue of Ripperana is the gayest thing I've ever read.

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 8:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam..

No fair,man ! How come that Neil gets his mug on the front cover ?! I demand satisfaction,suh....or...I'll ask Tom to not review this ish ! We Donstonians [ 'Stoneheads ] be tight like that.

Nah...I couldn't do that. Tom's reviews augment each issue and I'd lose out.

Quit crying,Hopalong....I've been waiting for a couple of books for over two months,and I live in civilization.....

.....not Oklahoma.

Later....

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2453
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 4:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
i for one am glad no animals were harmed in the production of the Rip!!

Jenni

ps ah! graffiti articles!

"Stay away from that trap door,
Cos' there's somethin' down there"

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2454
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 4:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

pps

I'll be interested to see what questions you asked John Williams first cousin five times removed!

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3446
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 6:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A rethorical fist fight between the mysterious and very intelligent Neil Bell and my good (I hope) and also very intelligent buddy Howie is indeed something to look forward to.

But then again, let me ask: how many more articles on the Goulston Street writing do we actually need? In one issue (was it the last one or the one before), there were two!
I mean, it is not like the subject in itself is that illuminating or uncovered. Do I sense a tendency of ideas for the mag articles drying up? It is not like we will know the answer to that mystery anyway.

Finally, another question: who is this "Glenn", who for quite a long time now has had his own section?
I've got several e-mails from people asking me whether or not I am the culprit, and it is starting to get tedious.

All the best
G. Andersson, author/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4416
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I drop my anorak for nobody.

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2455
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ppps
no GMCs, are you referring to the general medical council!?

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 7:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn ;

Of course you're my buddy ! Don't be silly...Thats a no-brainer from the no-brainer !

Here's an idea for a potential/future article in The Rip [or anywhere you want to send it..] that I know you would be very good at producing...

Syphilis and The Suspects [ not only suspects,but involving others involved in the WM in one way or the other and people in general in the East End.]. Our discussion we once had on the disease was pretty interesting. I still feel that someone would have been bona fide insane or incapacitated if they had it for 20 years [ tertiary stage ] and had a poor diet and were doing drugs in addition, at that time before Dr. Ehrlich's magic bullet, regardless of the bichloride of mercury and arsenic "balms" that didn't cure.

I'm kicking around an idea that Tim Mosley thought I would be good at putting together [ although I don't know why....]. Hygeine in The East End.

Not for nothing would I want to have to deal with that "mutual" bathroom-outdoors reality. 2 A.M. and its 10 degrees outside and you have to go...and then there's that stick...with the sponge in salt water.

Calgon...take me away !

Skoal,my great friend !

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2460
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 4:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's here, and i'm not saying anymore because the more you say the more likely it is to get printed in the Rip.

I'm not kidding either!

Jenni

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 7:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,

how many more articles on the Goulston Street writing do we actually need?

We...who is we?

When How and myself conceived this idea it was purely born out of a need for clarifying certain facts (and also ideas) on a subject which is integral to some, coincidence to others. We though it would be fun if one tackled the 'pro' whilst the other obviously engaged the 'con' aspects.

This certainly wasnt intended, as far as I was concerned, to end up as an article in those initial stages. However it soon became apparent that most authors were either for or against the writing with some (very few) tackling its validity from both sides. Basically we thought it would be beneficial to run two articles together in one so the reader can at least get an idea of what the facts and also the arguments for and against are. This rather than a one sided, loaded article.

I also wanted to bring the two arguments together so that those new to the case can judge for themselves and also bring forth new ideas and angles on a topic which has been, as you correctly state, analysed inside out. They are the ones I was hoping to target as well as the more experienced student of this case.

Those were mine and, I think Im safe in saying (if not sorry How), Howies objectives with these articles.

I just hope we added something rather than just rehashed the known stuff.

Cheers,
Monty
:-)
"You got very nice eyes, DeeDee. Never noticed them before. They real?"

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2462
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 9:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again,
I've munched my way through most of the issue now (munched is so not the right adjective, but I kinda like it so it's staying!). What I'm aiming for here is a level of incoherency so that nothing I say will appear in the July issue.

I have to say Tony Williams and Humphrey Price what an odd interview. (aside, I notice in your review you refer to john as Tony's great great uncle. This is not the case he is his first cousin five times removed, and I will keep mentioning this at every opportunity I can, as in this example). I can think of a few choice questions I would like to ask Williams, like do yuo think you would need a little more evidence before accusing someone of being JTR? And I would have said: - A lot of books claiming to know the identity of JTR feature questions. Your book features questions. Does this mean you've solved the case? If you've read this book you know what I'm gettting at I hope! The DNA thing, STILL doesn't make sense. I wonder if DNA is the wrong word for what they want. I wonder if they are just mentioning DNA for NO reason. Conjuncture about Mary Kelly sure seems to have something to do with it too???????????? I can't believe I own a copy of that book!!(actually I can because I do and I can see it!!Also I remember buying it)

Anyway - that's all I wanted to say about that.

Hi Monty,

I've read your and Hows article, naturally now i agree with everything How said! (who knows if I'm kidding or not - apart from me!) Serious note, I enjoyed it. (Hi How!!)

Jenni

ps now I'm confused about elephants!!

pps yes I should be working.

ppps I am working!

pppps, no I'm not!

(Message edited by jdpegg on May 24, 2005)

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3465
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 9:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

Don't get me wrong. I like the approach and I am sure it will be interesting. I just think that subject in question has had a lot of coverage lately and feels a bit dominating at the moment. I guess it's a matter of personal preferences.
Nothing to do with you or Howie -- both very intelligent gentlemen.

But as I said, I do like the approach of bringing two arguments opposing each other in an article and I wish that was used more often. It can be quite illuminating. I wish I could read it, seriously.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on May 24, 2005)
Sweden

David Knott
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dknott

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just received my copy and am enjoying reading through.
With reference to the review of Uncle Jack, there are a few points raised by the reviewer which I can clarify.

1. The last word in the 'Dear Morgan' letter is 'earlier' and not 'somehow'.
2. The Morgan Davies known to D'Onston was definitely the same one known to Sir John Williams. Davies did not work at the London Hospital in 1888, he had his own private practice in Goring St. He was in the Hospital to visit an ill friend, Dr Evans, who happened to share a ward with D'Onston.
3. Morgan Davies' retirement to Aberystwyth certainly had nothing to do with Sir John Williams living there. Davies spent his final months living with John Evans, his brother-in-law, who, along with Morgan's sister Mary had taken over the family dairy business in Whitechapel before retiring back to Wales.

David

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, Jenn,

Glenn,

I do see it from your view....honestly, though I confess that it hadnt hit me till you pointed it out. It does seem a dominant topic. Please dont think Im disagreeing with you, I was trying to justify what I think is a slightly different take on the writing. I hope others feel the same when they read it.

Jenn,

Indeed. I obviously had read Hows article prior to publication (though I do believe he has slightly amended it) and felt quite intimidated in trying to produce a acceptable counter article.

It was nice, well great infact, to come across a person whose views are almost opposite to yours yet are willing to understand your points without spitting the proverbial dummy.

Laters,
Monty

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2465
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 2:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

well i doubt I can comment about disagreeing without spitting dummies!!

Jenni

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 422
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn...

I know that you are NOT trying to be cynical in mentioning how often the GSG has come up lately [ I almost forgot to add the NOT, in case anyone read this without the NOT...my mistake !]....Monty deserves all the accolades for concieving this idea. A good guy to work with...or against, as in this case.

I haven't recieved my Rip yet, Monty...but I had to add a bit of information that Stewart Evans provided me with [at the end ] that could cast doubt on the lack of neighborhood graffiti I stated. I wasn't backsliding, rather just trying to keep it righteous.

Neil may have [ if some other people would consider it themselves ] come up a new way of discussing aspects in the WM. This was fun to do. Its nothing new, but many times how something is written or expressed is more illuminating than what was written.

For example,lemme see...Who's got the crust of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob to tangle with me on Cadosch ?

I'm ready to rumble with anyone on the notion that Albert Cadosch witnessed anything. His story stinks like month old fish. A quick way of getting notoriety,albeit minimal ? A day off of work? Who knows....but his story reeks. The second biggest wimp in Whitechapel next to Louie D. of Berner Street.

Like Ving Rhames in Pulp Fiction, I be callin' in the Wolf to help out in this matter [ see RipNotes 22 ], as in Vanderlinden...Cadosch has to be the most disaffected person in the whole WM saga...and I'm ready to pop his chops.

...and yours too..Mr.or Mrs. Soon-to-be-living-in-excruciatin'-agony-for-the-rest-of-your-life....you hear me talking,Monty? I'm gonna get medieval on yo' azz !!!

Zed

(Message edited by howard on May 24, 2005)

(Message edited by howard on May 24, 2005)
How Brown

Donston1888@aol.com

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 365
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 9:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm like WAY out of the Ripperological loop. I'm still waiting on the new Rip and doubt I'll receive the Ripper books I ordered months ago anytime soon, so the Tony Williams interview, which I'll have to read, will be a buzz killer for me since I might not get the book for another month. But why the hell is anyone saying we don't need another Graffiti article? It's been said we don't need any more Ripper books, but I'd strongly disagree, since every now and then, and good or even great one comes along. Granted, we don't need any more graffiti articles (or any articles for that matter) from Charlie Clark, but the last one Howard Brown did was very good, so I'd love to see another. Personally, though, I think Begg only runs Howard Brown articles for the 'babe' factor, which is why they're usually so full of pictures of him. Can't say I blame him. That's why I buy the Rip, after all.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 4:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

The Rip has pulled the picture of How in this latest edition. Apparently he was receiving too much fan mail (?!) and was begining to be stalked. Some woman called Corm or Coram or something. Frightening....for both !!

Between me and you I feel the the holy bearded trinity were also getting a little jealous of this new, younger and more streamline facial haired model. I did note GTG photo stood strong though. As for Mr Browns....nothing.

How,

I'm gonna get medieval on yo' azz !!!

Can someone please translate?

Thanks,
Mr Monty

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2466
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 5:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Monty,

I'd hazard a guess at a translation, but i don't know if its something a lady should understand!!(yeah, yeah I can see the obvious joke coming, spare me of it!!)

Jenni

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 423
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 5:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty...

Thats a line from the movie, Pulp Fiction [ right after the basement scene that Tom Wescott, amazingly, helped coordinate for Tarantino, based on his acumen of male bonding...Look for me in black...and in the box...I'm the Gimp. ].

It just means I'm gonna spare no prisoners on you again. This Gimp has no "symp" for ya !

Me n' Jane ? The cats outta the bag ! She's a great lady....

Marcellus Wallace
How Brown

Donston1888@aol.com

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3467
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 6:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Monty,

You mysterious bugger -- if this article is illustrated... does this mean we will FINALLY see what you look like?
That alone would be worth a copy.

How,

"Look for me in black...and in the box...I'm the Gimp."

Wow, that was you? Watch out for some more stalking...

In all honesty, there is nothing like Pulp Fiction when it comes to picking cool quotes. :-)

All the best
Vincent Vega
Sweden

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2467
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 6:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

don't get your hopes up on that one Glenn. no one will ever know!!

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 8:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How, Glenn & Jenn,

How,

"Thats a line from the movie, Pulp Fiction [ right after the basement scene that Tom Wescott, amazingly, helped coordinate for Tarantino, based on his acumen of male bonding...Look for me in black...and in the box...I'm the Gimp. ]. "

Whoa there big lad. Thats where you confused me...you see, its the 'male bonding' thing I dont understand....seeing as I only bond with females.

Glenn and Jenn,

Show myself and run the same risk How is enduring now. Stalking by crazy ladies who write their phone numbers on tiny pieces of underwear and post them to.....now where is my Canon Powershot A510?

Monty

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2468
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 8:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

see everyone is following my strategy of trying to avoid getting mentioned in the next issue!!

Monty,
are you sure you haven't been leading him on. He seems to know a lot about male bonding!

Well yeah i can see it would be a chore to have women send you their pants. that is surely something no man would want to endure!

Jenni

ps the tone has so been lowered!!

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 424
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 9:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni...

No toots...I didn't mean it that way. I was only using the line in the hope that Monty was up to another battle [ this time Cadosch ]..its just a phrase you can use for many situations. No inference was intended at all. Going medieval on him meant all out war...not that other stuff...

Now,on Wescott...thats a different story.

Why do you think T.C. is beggin' to be my roomie at the RipCon ? [ like I wouldn't find out ? ]

Sweetcheeks

How Brown

Donston1888@aol.com

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2469
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How,

yeah you say that now!! You were the one started it. You probably hurt Monty's feelings now!!

seriously i know what you meant

Jenni

ps TC?

Jane Coram
Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 436
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty,

You know what I'm going to say don't you? You know what I do to naughty boys who tell tales out of school!!!!!!!

Howie and moi are good friends, but I think you and he sound as if you might be picking out curtains any time now.

I do think that the pro and con articles sound like a really good idea though. Just think of all the different areas we could cover and all the trouble we could stir up!

So who wants to go next on a head to head?

Love you all loads, but I need more hours in the day to stalk all of you. Please put your name down on the list!

Jane

xxxxxx

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3469
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 1:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howie and Monty, you silly kids

Really guys, I thought the only person Jane is licensed to stalk was your truly. You mean I wasn't the only one? Honestly, you other sods can put your Canon Powershots where the sun don't shine.

I agree with Jane, you would probably be a nice pair. I once saw a double profile shot of Paul McCartney and George Martin sitting opposed to each other in thinking poses, for an article where they discuss Ebony and Ivory head to head in dialogue form.
Now, that would be a nice illustration for that GSW article, with Monty and Howie in a similar pose.

Tom C Westcott,

No way did I mean to imply that we didn't need more articles at all on the GSW; I just thought that subject felt a bit exhausted at the moment since the Rip two issues ago contained two articles (an intriguing one by Howie and one equally interesting in its own right by Paul Begg) about the GSW and the apron.

If I was the editor (no pun intended to Eduardo, Adam et al), I probably would have held it back an issue or two for that very reason.
It is of course also a matter of personal preference, I admit.

In addition, Tom...
Let me just say, that I enjoy your reviews enormously. I laugh so much that my stomach hurts like hell every time I read them, and to a large part they contain numerous good points (I almost wrote "pints"). It is entertainment and good reading experience in a very lucky combination. Please keep up the good work.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on May 25, 2005)
Sweden

A Wood
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 4:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty, I took out the picture of How because it scared the hell out of me every time I opened the file.

Adam

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2531
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 5:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adam!!!
Want to renew my sub to Rip but have fallen out with Pay Pal......... whats the best way ??....to send a cheque to Coral?

Want to start again with THIS one tho sounds a ripper!!

XX Suzi

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 4:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam,

Two Syndols and a photo of Kelly Brooke usually clears up an attack of the How Browns for me.

Guys,

More Head to heads?

I know How is up for an Albert Cadoche debate. Id take it but unfortunately I fear my views match with Howies and we'd end up mutually backing each other up !!

Am I right How??

Monty

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 444
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 8:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Absolute,chaloot...Cadosch would be toast with both of us on him.

There have been others to do this sort of thing,but not for a while. I like the idea,because its fun and an intellectual exercise.

...and Manoshevitz, do I need some intellectual exercise !!!
HowBrown

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 453
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 3:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, the story by Mr. Chetcuti on Tumblety,Burton,and Stead was very informative. Very nice work on a really strange character.

What happened to C.G. in his picture on page 3 ?

Were you reading Neil's story
and
just
nodded
out
? Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Just kidding Monty ! I recieved my Rip yesterday and even though you cheated and had my story in your hands to refer to...you done good my man. I liked it a lot. Good points well taken....cheater.

HowBrown

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 4:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard

Thanks for liking Joe Chetcuti's article on "Tumblety in London: Trailing an Infiltrator. Part 1" linking Tumblety, Sir Richard Francis Burton, William Stead, and Sir Francis Charles Hughes-Hallett. A rather strange saga... there'll be more in our next issue. The photograph is a closeup of the following photograph of me that was taken at a poetry reading a few months back in SoHo, New York City.

All the best

Chris

ChrisGeorge

(Message edited by ChrisG on May 29, 2005)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 457
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 5:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Poetry reading,eh?

Looks like Pa Bell's original daft draft of his article from here.... But hey...if you wanna stick to that story,go ahead.

I got the chance to finish Mr. Bailey's article.
Two aspects of it,in particular,stood out.

One,was the idea that Mr. Bailey posited that the police may have had a run-in with the Ripper from previous encounters relative to obviously lesser offenses.

Which leads me to ask,have Ripperologists exhausted the available jail roll registries of incarcerated men from the East End ? I'm fully aware that men like Martin Fido [ as an example ] have seen the list of the committed in Colney Hatch. In regard to the lists of East Enders,that of course is limiting the search to just that area. But I think the reader will know that thats just a start and that members in other localities could check their respective locale.

It may be worth mentioning that if an available list of those incarcerated from 1880 to 1888 were available, covering crimes that range from domestic abuse to attempted murder [ just for the sake of an example and not limited to just that,of course ], then perhaps some of us [I volunteer ]if given such a list or roster,could place these criminal cases on a separate thread or forum for others to peruse. The same goes for the list of those institutionalized at The Hatch or other British institutions.

I know,as everyone and his brother does,of a mini-list of those committed to mental inst. and jails,but haven't seen or even know if such a list is in the possession of any other Ripperologist or peripheral historian.

Just a thought.

The other aspect of Mr. Bailey's article that is worth repeating [ among the many ], is that he emphasises the post-mortem work of the Ripper instead of categorizing the Ripper as a rank and file sexual-psychopath. This is a break,so to speak,for those who see the eviscerations as being the goal of the crimes, rather than part of the crimes,with no special or specific meaning other than to mutilate. Of course,he doesn't come out and say what Tom and I want to hear..."Yeah..it was for the organs guys..", but its a start.

Mr.Bailey's article,while arguing that point above,also induces us to consider why if the murders which involve mutilations more than likely done with the intent of pleasure being derived from torture, then why is this skein of murders that different ?

One consideration is that regardless of whether it is the definitive and ultimate reason why the Ripper did what he did where he did it...is that he did kill his victims[ 3 at least ] outdoors...he didn't mutilate them while conscious...and even if he wanted to enjoy the mutilations, he couldn't have being outdoors.

The organ removal,for me and maybe some others,has been such a powerful incentive to study this series of murders. I thank Ripperologist Magazine for printing this worthwhile story from Mr. Bailey.

Now,go back to the land of Nod,C.G......
HowBrown

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 7:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard

Glad you liked Jim Bailey's article. I agree that there is a good likelihood that the Ripper had some brush with the law prior to his crime spree. I also think that it would be useful to have a lost of men incarcerated 1880-1888 and beyond, though I do think that would be a long long list. Still a good suggestion, Howard.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 460
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris...

It could possibly help if the jail rolls were examined again. What if another Littlechild Letter surfaced with a name we aren't familiar with ?

Using the Littlechild Letter as just one example, look at how far research initiated by Stewart Evans a decade ago and now continued by Malta Joe Chetcuti has gone ! Its amazing what these two,among others,have brought to light about this character.

So,yes,I'd like to see that discussed at the RipCon .

By the way,C.G......is the September Ripper Weekend going to be videotaped for posterity and/or possibly the general public ?

Thanks....

P.S. Tom...Don't tell me you haven't got your issue yet?
HowBrown

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 7:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard

I agree that finding something new on the order of the Littlechild letter would represent a break in the case and would open new avenues for research. I also do agree that the Littlechild letter has led to an amazing amount of information about Tumblety, whether he was the Whitechapel murderer or not. Great credit goes to Stewart Evans, Joe Chetcuti, Chris Scott, and others for turfing up this information. Certainly Tumblety was a man to watch and a suspicious character.

I am not sure of any plans to videotape the Charlotte September Ripper Weekend. I will confer with producer/organizer Jim Vita about that possibility. The best suggestion might be to come and experience it "live" in case it is not videotaped!

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2135
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 5:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Such a list as you discuss is not at all difficult.
I have been compiling such a thing for the last six months and feel it an easy task, even for one person.
Sometimes I float the names of the persons involved up here on the boards, but up to now there has been very little response from others, and the subject is largely ignored by the mass, perhaps lacking any modern drama, as it deals with the raw facts back then in the LVP.
One chap I’m following started off killing cats in the 1870’s, migrated to minor sexual assaults against women in the early 1880’s, and by the mid 1880’s was stabbing women in Whitechapel, but hey, what is the point if nobody is prepared to help or comment?
I might as well drink brandy and flick rubber bands at the moon.
With a single click of my keyboard I could find you one hundred men who were more likely to be Jack the Ripper than the upper class twats that are marched up and down these boards on a daily basis.
Jack was a bread and butter man.
To find Jack you don’t need a team of dedicated researchers, you need a lack of imagination.

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 463
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 5:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...and to that I say..

Bring on the bread and I'll help you with the butter.

It could one day be of major importance.

Lets do it.
HowBrown

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 4:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How,

"I recieved my Rip yesterday and even though you cheated and had my story in your hands to refer to...you done good my man. I liked it a lot. Good points well taken....cheater."

Now, now. Dont be such a sore looser. And believe me, I was going light on you.

Monty

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 467
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 5:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty...

I'm sure you did go lightly on me. I paid you enough to do so, ya schnook !

That article on Tumbelty was really good,wasn't it? I re-read it today.
HowBrown

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 6:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard
Here are a few East End ‘blips’ for you and anyone else:

Thomas William Green, October 1864, indecent exposure later leading to a violent attack on a woman.
Samson Richard Stuttaford, attempted rape and indecency. (lost the date but LVP).
William Hobbs, August 1876, savage assault on a woman.
William Burrett, 1900. (lost the report, this happens when you drink brandy and study stuff like this.)
William Barber, 1847, aged 14 appeared in court for killing cats in Whitechapel; 1856, attacking and robbing women on omnibuses, sexual overtones to these attacks; 1858, obtaining money by deception, described as a rough looking fellow; 1860, burglary.
PC Endacott. 1887. This guy is so queer that he needs looking at.
And what about Moriaty? Not the Conan Doyle one, but the real one, who was a PC and probably the model for Doyle’s.
Both these cops enjoyed laying their arms on the local whores.
These few come from a scratch book which I keep by this machine, somewhere I do have a file.
And I been drinking.

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 8:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A.P.

Thanks for posting these...Right off the bat,that William Barber looks like someonme of interest,although he was 55 in 1888.

Good stuff.
HowBrown

Adam Went
Inspector
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 6:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all!

Don't worry, Tom, I only just got my issue of the Rip in the mail a couple of days ago as well. Though I must say it was well worth waiting for!
Haven't had a chance to properly dig into the issue yet (I'm still half-way through the January issue of "Ripper Notes", grumbling aloud every time I read an error in Norman Hastings article, before realising for the 250th time that the article was written 76 years ago) but I have had a quick flick through it, and I'm impressed.

One particular thing caught my eye in the issue. The mention in the little column of "In Future Issues" .... "Antonio Sironi, Adam Went and Amanda Howard on fascination with Jack.."
Yes...can't wait for the issue to come along with that article in it!! ;)
But seriously, all of the articles in that column sound like they will be excellent reading , and I, for one, am definitely looking forward to seeing them!
So, 2 thumbs up from me for the Rip! Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
Adam. :-)
"Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once."
- Kirsten Cooke,"Allo' Allo'"

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 4:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No worries Howard, always glad to help… or hinder.
This William Barber is interesting but also elusive, I lost him at one point, and then when I found him again he was too young, first given as 35, later revised to 39, but the fact that he was involved in a murder in the East End of London in 1888 made me sit up and take notice of the same name.
This was ’The mysterious death at Walthamstow’ of July 24th 1888.

Equally so I was drawn to another Barber - first name as yet unknown - who was a horse slaughterer in 1877 in Islington and one of his slaughterers was a material witness in the Nichols inquest, a certain Henry Tomkins.
Barber, the horse killer was very much on the wrong side of the law, as reports do indicate.

Another chap I would like to take a serious look at is Thomas Bannatt Langshaw who was arrested in February of 1887 at 2’o’clock in the morning sitting on a doorstep claiming that he was looking for the water as he wanted to die. He is described as well dressed and well mannered, about 35 years of age, and was carted off to the local loony bin.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4486
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 4:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, the second Barber didn't end up running the yard, did he?

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2143
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you mean the slaughter yard, Robert?
Because, yes, he did.
But if you meant Scotland Yard then that was uncle Charles.
Mind you there was a top gun cop called Barber back in them days, but he had a close shave with the law.

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 473
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 5:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A.P.

Just looking at the post on this William Barber only reinforces my gut feeling that there may be some "gems" in the rough that have never been thoroughly analyzed. I'm sure that others would be interested enough to check into these people a bit further if a list of people incarcerated and/or institutionalized was available.

Likewise with Langshaw,one wonders if his dismissal from the mental home was in 1888.

Much appreciated,A.P. Thank you...
HowBrown

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.