Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through June 23, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » Get off the suspect list! » Archive through June 23, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Albert
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How in the world is the Royal Conspiracy and James Maybrick the top suspects? Don't you people just understand that they didn't do it. Please, give me one good shred of evidence that makes them good suspects. I don't consider them suspects. I consider them jokes and when I see people believe that one of them was either Jack the Ripper, I laugh.
Ha!

Leanne Perry
Inspector
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Albert,

This is a problem that I've pointed out before! That favourite Suspect list is on the main Casebook, which is accessable to the general public (ie everyone in the world who has a computer, can read books and may not have studied the case closely).

When 'Portrait of a Killer' first came out, Walter Sickert was number one. Then he slowly dropped back. That favourite Suspect List should only be seen as an indication of what the gullible world thinks at the time it is looked at. It changes so often!

LEANNE

Faye
Sergeant
Username: Faye

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Leanne and Albert

I think the reason that these suspects are very popular is that a lot of people are gullible enough to believe whatever they see in popular media. Like the movie from hell or the Maybrick diary (that turned out to be a fraud) and mrs Cornwell's drivel (for lack of better word).

However if you look around on the boards, you will see that most people do not agree with the most popular suspects. Some of them are in my opinion rediculous, like the ones mentioned above or even Lewis Caroll!

Faye

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
I think we have to bear in mind that the Whitechapel case can interest people on different levels. Some take a detailed, almost obsessive (and I include myself in that category so I'm not getting at anybody) and read about and/or research extensively.
However we must also remember that even after all this time Jack is still potential headline news and there are a larger number of people who only ever see the case mentioned or discussed when it hits the news. And of course it is going to be the controversial theories or ones involving a known personage or with a Royal connection etc. that the papers are more likely to pick up on.
So I think that we can't be too elitist or dismissive about popilist interest in the case - it is a fact a life and is likely to remain so as long as Jack's name gives an editor a quick and eye catching headline - some things don't change from the 1880's!
Regards
chris

Caroline Anne Morris
Detective Sergeant
Username: Caz

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Faye,

Sorry, I must have missed something here. You say that the Maybrick diary 'turned out to be a fraud'.

Could you expand on this please? Whose word have you taken as gospel that 'fraud' has been committed in connection with the diary? As you may know, there can be a world of difference between the words 'fake' and 'fraud'.

Love,

Caz

Monty
Detective Sergeant
Username: Monty

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne,

Never a truer word writted !!

So what got you on to this Barnett fellow ??

Monty being wicked....again. Im sorry, its the heat !!

Monty
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz,

Fake is the creation of a false document from scratch.

Forgery is that alteration of an exisiting document.

I think !!

Whats a fraud ??

Monty

see, I just keep feeding you the lines...

Monty
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry...sent above post twice..please ignore

Faye
Sergeant
Username: Faye

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz

You are right, it was a wrong choice of words. I meant it was fake. My apologies. I am not a native english speaker and I mix up things sometimes.

Faye

Caroline Anne Morris
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No problem Faye - we all do it. Just didn't like the idea of someone feeding you tall tales of criminal activity among Liverpudlians.

Monty,

What are you on about you old fraud? And I don't usually get fed lines, just fed to the lions. Have a great evening - I'm off for cocktails. I have some fresh mango and passion fruit juice in the fridge just waiting for me to introduce it to a dash of tequila and midori - yum.

hasta manana

Love,

Caz

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho all,

You're lucky. I'm not allowed to vote for my favourite: Mr Thomas Hayne Cutbush.

Cheers, Mark

Monty
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz,

Knew you couldnt resist.

Monty
:-)

Jennifer D. Pegg
Sergeant
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i think you'll find if you rip me off thats fraud.

Leanne Perry
Inspector

Post Number: 412
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Monty,

I just read your earlier question: 'What got you on to this Barnett fellow?'

Well years ago when I first found 'Casebook', I'd just read the Diary and was convinced that the mystery was solved. Then I found the message boards and saw how much the Diary was doubted.

I thought that the best way to join in was to choose a favourite suspect. I thought of the next best book I'd read, and that was Bruce Paley's 'The Simple Truth', saying that Joseph Barnett was Jack the Ripper.

As I 'pushed' the idea, I've seen Barnett shoot up on the favourite suspect list!

LEANNE

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne, I've just found Barnett's diary. The entry for Nov 8th reads : "Ended day with a nice game of whist. Went to bed with mug of cocoa. Slept like a log."

Robert

Leanne Perry
Inspector

Post Number: 413
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"......IIII musta left my Bbbloomin' pipe at Mmmary's....Not to worry, I'll just buy another one!"

LEANNE

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 270
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 5:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne, I thought you might be interested in this entry I found, for Aug 6th : "Worked in the orange market. Sold two oranges to a woman with a blue dress and a black beard. What made me suspicious, was that she immediately shoved the oranges down the front of her dress. I wonder if I should tell the police?"

Robert

Phil A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm with you on this one!!

Richard Lawrence
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is obvious that movies and well-publicized books have a big influence on the poll. If a popular movie was made that featured one of the more plausible suspects -- say, an actual contemporary police suspect like Tumblety or Kosminski -- that suspect would quickly shoot up the charts.

On the positive side, it is worth noting that the top nine suspects are pretty closely packed, all currently rating between 6.4 and 6.6. Those top nine include some of the "better" suspects along side the ridiculous Royal Conspiracy. Not, mind you, that the cases against any of the suspects are really that good.

Caroline Anne Morris
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer,

I may be wrong, but I think you'll find you have to prove you have been ripped off, and how you have been ripped off, and by whom, in order to throw the word fraud around with any effect. Otherwise it's pretty meaningless, isn't it?

It can also make one look a trifle dim to admit to being ripped off by an unidentified person in an unspecified way about a document of as yet unknown, or at least unproven, origins.

No offence.

Love,

Caz

Jennifer D. Pegg
Sergeant

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

none taken just thought we were kidding around about what fraud meant. i was thinking of defryad as well but its been a year since a levels and even then i never did fraud as it were!
jp

Caroline Anne Morris
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer,

Yeah, I suppose we were kidding around - apologies if I sounded a bit off. It's the underlying seriousness of implications of criminal behaviour that tends to jump out and grab me.

Love,

Caz

Jennifer D. Pegg
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i've forgotten it caz so no worries as its been a few days since i checked the internet!

Monty
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne,

Paleys work is the next best book you've read after the Diary ???

Noooooooooooooooooooo....tell me thats not true !!

What about Sugden, Fido and Begg ?? Rumbelows work as well as Wolf and Evans, Skinner and Howells ???!!!!

Im off for a lie down !!

Monty

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Sergeant
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty

Leanne has unintentionally given you what, in victorian terms, would be called a case of the 'vapors'. In other words she has excited you and caused you difficulty in breathing due to a highly nervous and sensitive disposition.

Continue to lie down and breathe evenly. This should help to calm you and return your emotional balance. It may be of help to have a doctor at your side. I believe Dr. Tumblety had a cure for this ailment, but he is long since deceased.

All of the books you mention are still good and valued sources. Leanne was simply giving her opinion and I am sure she did not intend to send anyone into hysterics.

Rest certain in the knowledge that you will recover your sensibilities shortly.

With Concern
Gary

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.