Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The source of Mr. Mulshaws encounter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Witnesses » Mulshaw, Patrick » The source of Mr. Mulshaws encounter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thomas Frandzen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Casebook states that Patrick Mulshaws encountered a "Suspicious" looking man (I presume) saying to him: "Watchman, old man, I believe somebody is murdered down the street." - I have read Sugden's very well documented "Complete Jack the Ripper", which also mentions Mulshaw, but there is no mention about any encounter with a suspicious looking character. Is this encounter a media story or are there any authoritative sources referring to it?

-Thomas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Colin Benson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Patrick Mulshaw, a night porter in the employ of the Whitechapel District Board of Works, living at 3, Rupert-street, Whitechapel, said on the night of this occurrence he was at the back of the Working Lads' Institute in Winthorpe-street [Winthrop-street]. He went on duty about a quarter to 5 in the afternoon, and remained until about five minutes to 6 the next morning, when he was relieved. He was watching some sewage works. He dozed at times during the night, but was not asleep between 3 and 4 o'clock. He did not see any one about during that period, and did not hear any cries for assistance, or any other noise. The slaughterhouse was about 70 yards away from where he was. Another man then passed by, and said, "Watchman, old man, I believe somebody is murdered down the street." Witness then went to Buck's-row, and saw the body of deceased lying on the ground. Three or four policemen and five or six working men were there."

(THE Times 9/18/1888)

I have quite a different question - this sewage worksite - could it have been a possible escape route and our unknown man has lured Muslhaw away?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.