Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Magazine articles Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Articles » Magazine articles « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 380
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 8:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

have recently been reading three articles that may be of interest so I thought I'd list them:

• The Whitechapel crimes as public relations
Journal article by Dirk C. Gibson; Public Relations Quarterly, Vol. 47, 2002

• Whitechapel Murders
Magazine article by John Diamond; New Statesman, Vol. 125, July 26, 1996

• THE HUNT FOR Jack the Ripper
Magazine article by William D. Rubinstein; History Today, Vol. 50, May 2000

Chris Phillips
Detective Sergeant
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 1:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 2nd and 3rd of these are available at http://www.findarticles.com/PI/index.jhtml

I'll try to make links for them:

Whitechapel Murders

The Hunt for Jack the Ripper

I couldn't honestly recommend the one by Rubinstein. It's pretty sloppy in its summary of the facts relating to older theories (e.g. he states without comment that the Duke of Clarence died of syphilis, and that Montague Druitt was playing cricket at "Camford", Dorset, 6 hours after the murder of Polly Nichols - but despite that considers him to be a "serious candidate"!).

But most of the article is taken up with a rambling endorsement of James Maybrick as the murderer, based on a gullible acceptance of the well known hotch potch of tall stories and third-hand rumours.

A bit shocking, considering that the author is described as a Professor of Modern History in a British university ...

Chris Phillips

Chris Phillips
Detective Sergeant
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 1:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS A search for the phrase "Jack the Ripper" turns up 133 articles on that site, so if someone has some spare time, there's a lot more to be seen, although no doubt a lot of them are just passing references to the case.

Chris Phillips

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 386
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 3:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of the 133 articles listed on the FindArticle site, the following seemed to me worth a look:

The Tell Tale Eye
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m2386/1999_Annual/55983642/p1/article.jhtml?term=%22jack+the+ripper%22
Monsters and Moral Panic in London
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1373/5_51/74483228/p1/article.jhtml?term=%22jack+the+ripper%22
Forgery or Genuine Document
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1373/3_51/71351717/p1/article.jhtml?term=%22jack+the+ripper%22

Chris

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 7:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting language in the "Washington Times" 18 Oct : "Black Caucus rips Bush nominee."

Robert

leon
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 1:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Patricia Cornwell does an excellent job stating why William Sickert very well may be Jack The Ripper

Stanley D. Reid
Detective Sergeant
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I had an article in the April 2002 issue of America's Most Wanted News Magazine, a publication put out in affiliation with the national Fox Network TV program, which includes about 750 words on the Ripper case. Two others on the list I wrote about were the so-called Thames Torso Killer and the "Old Shakspeare" case. It was one of a series of articles about the world's ten most wanted (never caught) criminals in different periods of history. JTR and the other two were three of the ten for the 1880-1899 time frame. This magazine went out of print in early 2003 so I only had time to get up to 1950.

Best regards,

Stan

Stanley D. Reid
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 7:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Might as well give out the whole roster listed in roughly chronological order:

1-1881-The slayer of Johnny Cantwell

2-1882-Georgina Moore's Murderer-The Ester Pay Case

3-1888-Jack the Ripper

4-1889-David Mather-A killer who was never apprehended-Last seen this year-Killed at least 14 in the 1870s and 80s

5-1889-The London Torso Killer-Actually 1887 through 1889

6-1889-The slayer of Vincenzo Ottumvo

7-1890-The killer responsible for the East Ham and West Ham vanishings-Actually 1881-1890

8-1891-Carrie "Old Shakespeare" Brown's murderer

9-1892-The slayer of Mr. and Mrs. Borden-The Lizzie Borden Case

10-1898-The Gatton Mystery killers

Stan

(Message edited by Sreid on April 25, 2005)

Stanley D. Reid
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only other case I wrote about that anyone has in any way connected to the Ripper case was the Camden Town Mystery which was included in the May 2002 issue of AMW News Magazine. I did about 600 words on that one. Here's my The World's Ten Most Wanted 1900-1909 list from that issue, again, in roughly chronological order:

1-1902-The Peasenhall Mystery killer

2-1902-Charles B. Hadley-The man suspected of killing Norah Fuller who was never captured

3-1904-The Cincinnati Streetcar Killer-Actually 1904-1910

4-1905-The Merstham Tunnel Mystery slayer

5-1905-The murderer of Emily Dimmock a.k.a. Phyllis Shaw-The Camden Town Mystery

6-1908-Belle Gunness-The woman believed to have escaped after killing dozens from 1896-1908 and perhaps later. Last reported sighting 1936.

7-1908-The killers of Monsieur Steinheil and Madame Japy

8-1908-Caroline Luard's murderer

9-1908-The killer of Marion Gilchrist-The Oscar Slater Case

10-1909-The Gorse Hall Mystery murderer

Stan

Stanley D. Reid
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S.

Just wanted to correct my mis-type for #2 1882; that should have been Esther Pay not Ester. This murder was probably a little remote be connected to JTR but I always wondered why it wasn't associated with the "Ham Vanishings". The time frame is perfect and the River Medway is only about 30 miles south of "The Hams". Also, both cases involved the victims being seen with a mysterious woman shortly before they disappeared.

Stan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.