Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Ripperologist: issue 47. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Ripperologist » Ripperologist: issue 47. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2787
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Table of Contents, cover art and editorial from the July issue of Ripperologist magazine is now available on the Casebook at:

http://casebook.org/ripper_media/book_reviews/periodicals/ripperologist.2003-07.html

Great issue, from the looks of it! (Fantastic cover, too!)
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 507
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent cover, especially Spike's chicken.

Robert

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2792
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My hard copy of R'ologist just arrived today, and as always, its better than the last. The high quality color covers (front AND back) are simply astounding... Considering printing costs, I can't imagine how Paul and Adam can afford to sell copies at just £4 apiece. The production is simply top-notch.

Content-wise, issue #47 is no less spectacular.

It begins with an editorial by Paul Begg, which expounds on the difference between 'myth' and 'legend', and then delves into a mouth-watering preview of the 2003 Liverpool Conference (which Paul says will be 'legendary', not mythical...) :-)

The centrepiece of this issue, as far as I'm concerned, is Jeffrey Bloomfield's incredible article "The Making of the Commissioner: 1886". Anyone with even the slightest interest in Sir Charles Warren will want to read and devour every word.

The next article is of only tangential interest, about a British gunboat that was built at the shipyard near where MJ Druitt's body was found in December 1888, followed by a much more topical article by A&S Parlour about A.G. Morrison, author of Child of the Jago. Next is an updated study of George Valentine by Stawell Heard, founder of the school in which MJ Druitt taught during the 1880s.

The "I Beg to Report" portion was particularly informative... seems I now have to read Ripperologist to find out what's going on at the Casebook! Apart from everything else, it appears that the Casebook was reviewed as "The definitive website" by The Guardian on 1 July 2003 (news to me!). They rated the site as suitable for students "key stage 3: age 11-14"... which I'm not sure I agree with. I would think any students 14 years and younger should probably have some form of parental or otherwise adult guidance while reading the Casebook... but still, a nice review from a respected news-outlet.

If anyone happens to have a copy of that newspaper I'd love to read the full article - can't seem to bring it up on www.guardian.co.uk.

New on the publishing front will be The First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs, by Robert McLaughlin - an in-depth study of the Lacassagne photographs of Eddowes and Kelly, published in 1899. Up till now this was considered the earliest publication to run these photographs, but Robert has now discovered an even earlier (by some 4-5 years) book which published the Kelly photograph. This will be self-published around September/October, and is sure to be of interest.

This is only a sampling of the many articles and reviews available in this issue.... even if you do not wish to subscribe to the magazine, I would highly recommend that you at least purchase this single issue (while its still available... I notice that issues as recent as December 2002 are already out of stock!)

This ain't your daddy's Ripperologist!

For information on subscriptions and back-issues, contact Coral Kelly at coralkelly52@hotmail.com

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Stephen:

I can't say much more, but the color cover planned for Ripperologist 48, the August Liverpool convention issue, will be even more spectacular, a unique creation by Ripperologist's creative wizard, Adam Wood. Sure to become a collector's item. . .

The centerfold of the issue should be an engraved 1885 bird's eye view of Liverpool, taken from a balloon, one of a number of period views of my native city that I have provided to Paul and Adam. The view over the metropolis's smoky chimneys and the steamers in the Mersey is suitable for pondering the streets where Jack may have walked, be he Maybrick (as if!), Tumblety, James Kelly, Deeming, native son William Ewart Gladstone, tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor . . . laugh

All my best

Chris George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.