Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through December 28, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Ripperologist » Electronic only? » Archive through December 28, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andy and Sue Parlour
Detective Sergeant
Username: Tenbells

Post Number: 138
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 3:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is such a shame to see the flagship magazine Ripperologist floundering. For what it is worth I think it was caught between a rock and a hard place. Yes, when Paul Daniels was editor it did have the 'homely clubby' feel of a 'in house' mag and Paul Daniels did a fantastic job. Yes, perhaps the 'Rip' did need a shove forward, but was it a shove too far? Adam Wood, I know for a fact put in hours and hours of unpaid hard work to bring the 'Rip'to a wider audience, but was there a wider audience? How much can the big world out there take of a 6 times a year magazine mainly devoted to an 'English' event that happened 117 years ago? True crime magazines only exist because they cover all crimes and all years and in all countries. Adam's artistic and design qualities deserve a bigger stage. He has much to offer in new ideas and layout skills. I just hope he isn't lost altogether from the JTR publicity scene.
Meanwhile the Whitechapel Journal has got back to grass roots and at the same time makes the members of the society feel it is their magazine and they are a part of it, along with the society.

A&S

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2408
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 3:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Coral Kelly must be getting pretty fed up. She tells me that her phone hasn't stopped ringing since the Rip sent the letter out about going electronic. She says it went on for four hours on Thursday evening! For God's sake, what's the matter with people?

Coral has nothing to do with this!

Love,

Caz
X

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 7:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

I exasperate at some peoples short sightedness and fear of change.

Monty

PS, Ned Ludd came from Leicestershire.....not Notts.
It begins.....

Ripperologist
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 8:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A MESSAGE FROM RIPPEROLOGIST

The Message Boards at the Casebook: Jack the Ripper are a valuable forum open to everyone to express his or her opinions freely on matters concerning Ripperology or other subjects under rules and regulations established and enforced by the Casebook administrators. Ripperologist has welcomed debates on the Boards about its contents and its orientation in the past and will continue to do so in the future. It considers the present debate as an expression of the value attached to Ripperologist as an important research and opinion tool and of the concern felt by some of its subscribers and readers about its transition to an electronic format. Ripperologist respects the views of its subscribers and readers and has their best interests at heart. Every serious letter or message addressed directly to Ripperologist will be answered and every reasonable concern will be met.

The Boards are not, however, a shareholders' meeting, a court of law or a public assembly where Ripperologist must appear before its accusers to defend a legitimate and well thought out editorial decision. Nor is it a free-for-all where non-subscribers usurp the representation of subscribers, posters hiding themselves behind pseudonyms launch cowardly and libellous attacks on the personal integrity of the Ripperologist editorial team, touts attempt to lure disaffected readers to other publications and individuals who are utterly ignorant of the law make ill-advised threats of legal action. Ripperologist is grateful to those posters who have called for a more mature attitude on the Boards and appreciates the views of many others who, while understandably concerned about the future of their favourite publication, are willing to keep an open mind and give the new Ripperologist a try. Of course, Ripperologist respects the decision of those who may decide not to follow it in its move to an electronic format. Most subscribers have already expressed their support for the move in private or public communications. To them Ripperologist is especially and sincerely grateful. Within a few days, the new Ripperologist will arrive on subscribers' screens. Subscribers and readers are requested kindly to reserve final judgement until then.

Ripperologist

Adrian Morris
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 2:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the record.

The 'Whitechapel Society 1888' is its own organisation with its own constitution and has no affiliation to any other Ripper-based production. We advance the study into the Whitechapel murders and the history of the East-End.

That is the truth of it all. Please all respect that and do not pressure our members personally, or otherwise on questions other than those that pertain to the WS1888 and its Journal. We have no connection to the 'RIPPEROLOGIST' and, therefore, we can not answer any questions - in any form - that concern it.

Please respect that wish. Also, please do not mention the WS1888 and its associated productions in this particular message board anymore as it is beginning to get a bit tiresome.

Those who have been kind to us we do wholesomely appreciate it - thank you. Others who have been negative: please cease now!!

Thank you.

ADRIAN MORRIS (Editor : WS1888 Journal)

Stan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 3:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been out of the country for a couple of weeks & have come back to the Ripperologist letter. It is a great shame it has gone electronic.

The letter says the 'the next issue is ready to go. All you need to do is let us know your email address where you'd like to rerceive it'

Has anyone actually done this?

If someone has - what was he outcome.

Are all the subscribers to Rip scared to do so?

David Radka
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dradka

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. "...touts attempt to lure disaffected readers to other publications..."

>>Who do you think might this be referring to? Hmmmm??

2. "Ripperologist is grateful to those posters who have called for a more mature attitude on the Boards..."

>>And who and what might this be referring to? It looks to me like someone at the 'Rip' has been reading the Founding Principles of the 'A?R M&R' thread.

I think a valid contrast is being drawn here. Use your heads, folks. Compare to the best of your ability. Don't take a pig in a poke.
David M. Radka
Author: "Alternative Ripperology: Questioning the Whitechapel Murders"
Casebook Dissertations Section

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3303
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again,

whoever posted from Ripperologist - well said.

I do wish people would wait to see the thing. I have said so more than once.

I am sure this is a pointless thread anyway, how can anyone judge something they haven't seen?

Jenni

ps David, do give it a rest will you!
"Does a 'ton up' on his sleigh? Do the fairies keep him sober for a day?"

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3304
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

pps I am sure most people do not agree with the attacks directed towards the editorial team

Spiro
Sergeant
Username: Auspirograph

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz,

Thanks for your reply and even though I may believe I'm right, sorry if I have offended you or anyone.

I must have got my Morrises and Bradlaughs all mixed up. I blame Howard for confusing me.

I do read your posts and have, on occasion, learnt heaps from you on the approach best to view the evidence. Can I say that?

Now that the e-Rip is hatching, and the 1888 are on record, all is well. I'm so relieved!

Cheers and a happy holiday season all.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2954
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 1:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just love the way you get two commercial organisations floating in here and saying look you guys if you haven’t got anything good to say about us then don’t say anything at all.
Ah, the perfect world you inhabit.
Makes you feel like a black Jew in Berlin in 1939, caught between the Gestapo and SS.
Unless you salute the flag you ain’t welcome.
I’ve a good mind to take you lot to the European Court for infringing on my rights to free speech and democracy.
Take the flak or go to Alaska.

Andrew Spallek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 3:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The content of the post from "Ripperologist" is sober, mature, and informative. However, it is ironic that a message criticizing others for posting their opinions anonymously is sent without personal attribution.

Andy S.

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 309
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 1:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho all

Ripperologist respects the views of its subscribers and readers

Is this why they didn't bother contacting us for our points of view?

Oh Monty, the first shot in the Luddite War took place on the outskirts of Nottingham. It was even suggested King Ludd was stocking-maker Gravener Henson, a Nottinghamian although I do agree Ned Ludlam was a Leicester bloke.

Pah! Leicester people are always coming to Nottingham to cause trouble.
Cheers, Mark Andrew Pardoe

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3308
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 1:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark,

I never go to Nottingham to cause trouble or at all if possible.

lol

Jenni

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 3:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marky,

Two rumours.

One that Ned came from my home village....as does Willie Thorne.

Two that Ludd never played snooker.

Seriously, you are correct. Ludd is a myth. I suspect your version is more truthful. So it would seem the trouble maker is a local boy whilst us Woolybacks are a peaceful and innocent race.

Now where is that frame?

Monty
:-)
It begins.....

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3400
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 4:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
Seem to have have lost the Rip letter with the email address to send mine to!! Can someone please post it here

Thanks

Suzi
:-)

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 928
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 6:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi.

It is contact@ripperologist.info

I am wondering what to do myself. Probably I'll get one issue this way and decide this is not for me. Almost certainly in fact. I should e-mail myself and get this out of the way.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Andrew L Morrison
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 4:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Makes you feel like a black Jew in Berlin in 1939, caught between the Gestapo and SS."
I am astounded that AP Wolf has posted such a statement. It reduces the Holocaust to the same level as a silly dispute over the format of the Ripperologist.

A Subscriber
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 2:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ripperologist, I would have thought that the Casebook message boards are a valuable forum for posters to express their opinions on anything they wish so long as they don't embarrass the administrators or breach any legal requirements. That includes giving their opinions on Ripperologist if they want to.

The comment about what the 'Boards are not' in paragraph two of your post sounds defensive and speaks of 'posters hiding themselves behind pseudonyms' and 'cowardly and libellous attacks', which almost sounds like a veiled threat.

Ripperologist has already decided to go electronic and this is a fait accompli, so subscribers, who have already paid for future hard issues, really have no option other than to wait for the ethereal substitute. It is possible to judge now for if a subscriber wants a proper magazine, hard luck, he ain't getting one.

A Cowardly Subscriber
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 8:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

“Posters hiding themselves behind pseudonyms launch cowardly and libellous attacks”

Yeah the irony of the Riperologist team hiding behind some sort of gestalt organism whilst accusing others using anonymity of cowardice isn’t lost on me.

“Within a few days, the new Ripperologist will arrive on subscribers' screens. Subscribers and readers are requested kindly to reserve final judgement until then”

I don’t understand the “don’t make a judgement until you have read it” argument, the actual quality of the content of the magazine is not the matter of discussion here, the quality of the articles may well be excellent, but the fact is I, and many others it seems, do not want to pay someone over £20 a year to be Emailed once a month.

“(Nor is it a free-for-all where) touts attempt to lure disaffected readers to other publications.”

Uh… sorry yes it is, it’s a free market, the UK and the Usa at least are (reportedly) free countries, and as long as they do not lie or make false claims about you or your publication they are free to advertise and tout whatever they like.

“individuals who are utterly ignorant of the law make ill-advised threats of legal action”

Sorry I for one am not ignorant of the law, Coral is quite right a contract HAS been broken here and while no one is seriously advocating legal action the Ripperologist people HAVE to make restitution to anyone out of pocket as a result of this action i.e. subscribers who do not get their full 6 copies.

“(The Boards are not) a public assembly where Ripperologist must appear before its accusers”

No you are right there but since there was no consultation with the readership and since the first anyone got to know about this was a letter it is reasonable that people feel aggrieved and want some sort of answer from those responsible. A professional organisation would welcome the chance to interact with its readership in this way.

People posting on these boards are just embracing the same 21st Century communication technology you seem oh so eager to embrace.

I am sorry but I dont find find the Ripperologist teams posting to be sober and mature it is simply rude, arrogant, unprofessional and unnecessarily confrontational.

We the subscribers PAY for our subscription and we have every right to voice our displeasure at an arbitrary decision made without consultation. A decision that will leave many of us without the magazine we have paid for.

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3314
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 9:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty, Mark,

I'm so lost and confused that i tried to ign in with three gs !

Anyway, what do you mean re the Luddites?

Jenni

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 898
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark & Monty,

I've always favored Capt. Swing rather than Ned.

Jenni,

I'm so lost and confused

Say it isn't so.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3403
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 2:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Philip-
Going to do that now and wont judge till I get it

Suzi x

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 466
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 7:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And what is it you're not going to judge until you get? Have you never seen a PDF attachment before? it would appear the new Rip will resemble the old Rip, only in PDF format. Therefore, it's simply a matter of do you prefer to read magazines in hard copy, or do you prefer to read them online. Other than that there's nothing here to judge.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho Monty,

Is that a stocking frame for which you are looking? You're not going to smash it are you? Hmmmmm. Perhaps we were looking for the wrong person from your village. I'd better look out for King Monty and the Montites.

May I just point out I do not (and never have) hide behind a pseudonym. And I have no intention to start legal actions. I'll just take my custom elsewhere to Uncle Dan.
Cheers, Mark Andrew Pardoe

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 781
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Radka - I think I see your meaning. I tend to see Messrs. Begg and George as having a certain intellectual generosity that might be desirable to support and encourage. Are you willing to vote with your wallet? If you email me privately in the next 48 hours, with information that you are willing to support the new Rip with a subscription, then you have my word that I'll dip into my very deep pockets and do the same. RP

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2720
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 2:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

-I agree with you Don-
but after the riot ,nine men were hanged and over 457 transported and as many again imprisoned...so it wasnt exactly a victory!so the lesson seems to be- impeding technological progress can be a very bloody affair!

serenade
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 9:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And the "tertius gaudens": Dan Norder with his excellent periodical!

R.I.P. perologist

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5397
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From today’s papers :

RIPPER WORLD IN A FLAP

There has been widespread alarm and despondency within the Jack the Ripper community since it emerged that ‘Ripperologist,’ the magazine devoted to the study of the Whitechapel Murders, will henceforth be sent out by carrier pigeon.

“This is a sad day for Ripperology,” moaned one subscriber. “Because I am a true collector, I keep the pigeons as well as the messages tied to their legs. But there are many pigeons involved – you can only get one or two sentences on each pigeon – and the birds are beginning to take up rather a lot of space on my bookshelves. Worse, they keep hopping around, which makes the task of cataloguing them a real headache.”

Another reader complained : “I live in Australia, which is a long way for pigeons to fly. I’m now resigned to getting my copy a little late.”

A spokesman for the magazine denied that this was all about saving money, pointing to the cost of bird seed alone. He also confirmed that there were no plans for the pigeons to write any of the articles. “A pigeon did send us some material, but the creature had its facts all wrong. It insisted that Kate Eddowes was murdered in Trafalgar Square.”

The editors of arch-rivals “Ripper Notes” assured their readers that their product would still be published in its traditional, whole-magazine format. “However, our next issue is the biggest ever – 21,963, 457 pages long – so we would ask our readers to be patient while we find and train the albatrosses capable of delivering our great value mag.”

The row continues.

Robert

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 4290
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 2:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, call me old-fashioned, but web periodicals certainly isn't my cup of tea. Sure, you can download the PDF and print it out, but sitting with printed out papers stapled together as a home-made product is not the same thing as a genuine mag with a thicker quality on the cover and with binding. It just feels amateurish and cheap. Not to mention the fact, that if you want to use an ink printer (for best results) it certainly isn't cheap to print out.
Can't say I am keen on this idea at all, and I believe it will be the end of the mag. But that's just me.

All the best
G. Andersson, writer/historian
-----
"It's a BEAUTIFUL day - watch some bastard SPOIL IT."
Sign inside the Griffin Inn in Bath

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2428
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 5:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

I don't know about pigeons. One of our cats, Wilf, once brought a racing pigeon in through the cat door - alive and in perfect condition, so we sent him on his way, no doubt in for a damn fine hiding when he finally got home, long after Rip's pigeons.

But I'm waiting for the semaphore version. The thought of watching Adam and Eduardo waving their lovely flags up and down is getting me all of a quiver.

Love,

Caz
X

PS The Aldis lamp idea isn't all that.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3428
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 5:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Am waiting for the next edition to be txtd to me!

Morse code maybe????

Dear God Caz that flag image is truly disturbing!!!

He he

Suzi x

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 939
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 5:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have heard the next issue will be conveyed through smoke signals. The one afterwards will be done by drum.

INDIAN BRAVE 'Walking Guide' PHILIP

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3429
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 9:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This COULD just be it!!!!!!!..think how many subscribers we could reach at once!!!!!

Ripperologist............

Suzi x

Eduardo Zinna
Detective Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz & Suz,

This has gone from Jack the Ripper to Monty the Python!

Cheers,
E.

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 793
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Legend has it that Mark Twain once had the unpleasant experience of hearing that his obituary was being printed in certain American newspapers. In response he sent off a telegram from London.

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

Having read the new Ripperologist, I tend to think that our feathered friends with the hunched shoulders will have to circle a bit longer.

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3376
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rj

have you been inhabiting some kind of parrell universe.

Or something.

When did the thread say that?

Maybe its me who's been in the old parrell universe or whatever
"Yo, don't believe the hype"

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 957
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 5:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Am I alone in not understanding if either of the above 2 posts are pro or con the new format?

PHILIP

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3377
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,

that's because I wasnt saying if i was pro or con. I was simply saying i didnt recall anyone saying the Rip was dead.

But then again, they may have done.

Jenni

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 495
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 1:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer Pegg wrote all of the above posts. Every name you see on this thread is an alias of Jennifer Pegg. Jennifer Pegg IS Ripperology now. It's just her and David Radka. You'd better watch out, David, cuz Jennifer 'Square' Pegg came here to do two things - chew bubble gum and kick a$$ - and she's all out of bubble gum.

Yours truly,

Jennifer Pegg

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3382
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 4:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

you ok?

Anyway here's to playing along,

I not only wrote all the posts on this thread, i am in fact all the users on the casebook!!

Obviously-

not

Has everyone been on crazy juice or something.

When will normal service resume?

See - this is what i get for making weird posts when i should be writing essays.

I dont need to be writing any of these posts whats wrong with me!!!?

DON'T ANSWER THAT!!

Jenni

ps not got any bubble gum have you Thomas?

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3383
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 4:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

obviously i wasnt trying to be offensive and if that happened then clearly i am sorry

and i should also point out my latest sig. in no way relates to the rip.

it is about my favourite book

Dan L. Hollifield
Detective Sergeant
Username: Vila

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 4:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I've avoided posting in this thread until some time had passed and the people getting the electronic version could evaluate it properly. Well? What do you think now that you've had a chance to see it, people? Is the e-version better or worse than the p-version? Or is it simply different? Will it make the passing grade? Only you users can determine all that.

Vila
"Extremely difficult. Virtually impossible... However, it should only take me ten minutes or so."

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3386
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 4:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

its different.

There i posted something semi coherent in the thread and wrote an additional one hundred words

im having a good hour.

and wrote another couple of lines there

yes

Jenni

ps yes, yes you dont care!

(Message edited by jdpegg on December 28, 2005)

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 4:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like it Dan.

I think its 'different' rather than better or worse with a couple of points to mention about the "better' side....

The instant link to other URL's for further reading is a nice feature.

As one example of the e-version's "edge" with this issue, Mr. Simon Wood's article almost HAD to be in color. His article on the MJK1 and MJK3 photos would not have had the impact that a b/w series of photos would have.

and from a purely personal view, none of the pages will be dogeared or circled for quotes and facts...I'll have to write them down in the future.

Dan L. Hollifield
Detective Sergeant
Username: Vila

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 5:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard, try copying from the e-version and pasting into a word processor file of your own. You can get endless snippets of text that way. Quicker than writing notes by hand and then typing them into the computer anyway.
If you happen to use the Mozilla suite, there is a free web-page Composer that you can use to save text and illos together. That way you can have a note file that you can refer to when/if you decide to write a rebuttal or reply of your own. The Mozilla Composer is a useful toy to those writing e-texts. Check it out, Howie. I think you'd like it.

Vila
"Extremely difficult. Virtually impossible... However, it should only take me ten minutes or so."

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 5:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yeah,Vila...I can do that with the thingamajig I have, but I will check out this Godzilla thing.

Thanks buddy.

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 633
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 6:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*Vila does a Snoopy dance and is so pleased that Howard Brown is going to check out Godzilla. But is too busy to post.
----------------------------------------------------

**I definitely charge for this sort of thing**

Lyn
My first reaction is, "OMG that's crazy". But then I'm thinking this just may be crazy enough to work.
copyright © Bradley McGinnis Sept. 2005

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 496
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 7:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard writes: "I like it, Dan"

Just out of curiosity, Big H...what DON'T you like?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 497
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 7:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, Paul Begg apologized profusely for having referred to Nick Warren (Ripperana) as an 'editor' in issue #61. He knows that many of you were turned off by such malicious slander (referred to by Warren himself as "childish name-calling) and hopes that, over time, this "slip" on his part will be overlooked. Personally, I'm not sure we should let him off that easy. After all, he publicly called his competitor an "editor". I wonder what would happen if he tried to pull that crap with Dan Norder. Things could get ugly.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.