Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Issue #24 - October 2005 - Ripper Notes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Ripper Notes » Issue #24 - October 2005 - Ripper Notes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 974
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 1:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We've got another astounding issue of Ripper Notes on the way, and, as always with these threads, I thought I'd start you out with a look at the cover art, once again provided by the lovely and talented Jane Coram:

October 2005 Ripper Notes cover

The scene should be familiar to everyone (you get three guesses and the first two don't count), and it's our way of illustrating this issue's theme: "Death in London's East End."

Here's an overview of the articles that are already locked down for this issue:

•Jennifer Pegg's "Uncle Jack Under the Microscope", which is about... well, if you haven't seen the big announcement already, you should click here to read up on the basics. And there's lots more coming for our subscribers.

•Wolf Vanderlinden's "On the Trail of Tumblety? Pt. 2", featuring more brand new information and analysis of the facts surrounding Dr. Francis Tumblety's escape from London police to America. Did Scotland Yard send an officer there to try to track him down? What was really going on?

•Robert Clack's "Death in the Lodging House - The Murder of Mary Ann Austin". Coroner Baxter, John McCarthy, the Dorset Street lodging house that Annie Chapman was kicked out of on the night of her death and other familiar faces and places all show up again in this look at another unfortunate killed a few years after the Autumn of Terror. Rob has police reports, inquest details, info on an attempted cover up, a suspect with a possible link back to the Ripper murders, and research trying to track him down. It's a comprehensive, fact-based article with a number of period illustrations that's not to be missed.

•Andrew J. Spallek's "Finding the Victims' Graves" documents his visits to see the burial locations of the Ripper's victims and pay his respects. It also includes details on how you can do the same yourself if you so desire.

•Bernard Brown's "A Death in Whitechapel" gives the low down on the man called Inspector Death, with a few other Deaths thrown in for good measure.

And there's lots more where that came from that we're trying to fit in, including some conference coverage, original research on suspect Alois Szemeredy, other potential articles, plus regular features "Notes from the News Morgue" by Wolf (this time focusing on a variety of other victims who have been at one time linked to the Ripper), "News & Notes" by yours truly, "The Bookcase" by an assortment of regular contributors, "The Whitechapel Letterbox" and Jenni back atchya again with "The Inquest" spotlighting thoughts from our readers.

I don't know how I'll fit this all into 108 pages, so we're looking to go beyond that again. (I know I said that last time, but Jenni's article on Uncle Jack got bumped back when new info came in and there's even more stuff fighting to make it in this time.)

All this great content in a glossy full color softcover book format -- it's no wonder so many people these days are calling Ripper Notes the best Ripper periodical on the market.

If you haven't yet subscribed, hop on over to our website to find out how to get that set up. You have your choice of good old American greenbacks, British pounds sterling, or handy dandy plastic through our online credit card processor.

And then wait until you guys see how we celebrate issue #25 in January! Oh, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here, one issue preview at a time...

(Message edited by dannorder on October 26, 2005)
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 440
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 6:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks great, Dan! I hope there's not a single person on the Casebook planning to miss this and upcoming issues. If anyone out there is afraid of losing money on a sub to Ripper Notes, take it from me, it's a wise investment. Do what I did and get a single issue before committing to a subscription. I got single copies of RN and Rip way back when and have been subscribing ever since.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2542
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 7:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A great cover once again---and the last one Jane did of Mary"s last night with Mr Asrakhan was fabulous!
Yes,I agree with Tom here, both mags are good value.
Natalie

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 500
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All mags are good value, Nats!

But seriously folks, I'm looking forward to mine. I wonder when it's coming??
Mags

Maria Giordano
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 505
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Potts and Otts:

A bit of over-reaction? Is it perhaps allergy season in Connecticut?
Mags

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2566
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Maria,
Yes-havent tried Ripperana yet-cant get everything but the Whitechapel Society"s very own London based journal takes some beating-some of its recent articles have been a brilliant,second to none read.
Nats

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 808
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 1:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maria,

No itching in my part of the Nutmeg State, but I do get your drift about Messers. Potts & Otts.

Since I was asked to write for Ripper Notes I have a partiality to that journal, but rather than get into a squabble I will remind everyone of a little but of journalistic history.

Back when the New York Times was still . . . well, still the New York Times its advertising department queried top management about some ads the Chicago Tribune wished to run because the Windy City newspaper rather windily proclaimed itself as "The World's Greatest Newspaper."

Advertising had a strict policy of not allowing any unsubstantiated claims in ad copy and so. . . . The word eventually came down from on top to run the ads as written as a "professional courtesy."

I would suggest that "Pots and Pans" (and everyone else) look upon all the claims for precedence by all the Ripper magazines in that light.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 986
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 7:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

First up, anyone curious about what Mags and Don are referring to in the odd posts above, somebody had posted some bizarre attacks (claiming, for example, that there was no such thing as Casebook reader polls and that I made up the fact that we're rated #1 on them). The person responsible ended up posting twice, once as Steve P. Ott-somethin'-or-another and once as Steve Potts. There's nothing like trying to hide behind a fake identity that you can't even keep track of, eh? Those posts were removed, making Mags and Don look like they are talking to air. So that's what that was all about.

But anyhow, here's the latest news on the issue itself: This is the largest single issue of any Ripper periodical ever. It weighs in at 128 pages (well, OK, technically 127 after the printer's code page at the back). That's 20 pages longer than our already massive regular length of 108 pages.

In addition to the content mentioned above, there's:

•Don Souden's "Grave-Spitting & Other Tall Tales", which examines some of the stories that grew up around the case to see if there might be anything meaningful in them. It covers the ideas that Mary Jane Kelly had a boy living with her, Catherine Eddowes knew the killer, that Eddowes had slept in a shed next door to Kelly, and more.

•Eight pages of conference coverage, including plenty of photographs, so everyone who couldn't make it can see what they missed.

•And an extra bit of very recent research by Robert Clack to go along with Jennifer Pegg's "Uncle Jack Under the Microscope" article.

So, yeah, subscribers have to wait an extra week or so more than normal to get the issue this time around, but it's almost 20% longer than normal at no extra charge. Not a bad deal, if I do say so myself.
Dan Norder, Editor

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 8:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alright ! A magazine with a lotta pictures !!!

Hey Mr.Editor Norder ..umm...any photos of anyone I already have a wall full of ?

Mags and Supe are Yankee fans...they were talking to the air long before Potts burped....

Maria Giordano
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 510
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, Cheesesteak, and here I was rooting for the Eagles last week!
Mags

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 809
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 2:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howie,

Coincidentally enough I was just checking out the Sunday sports offerings and I noticed several fans at the Everton-Middlesborough metric football clash were wearing New York Yankees caps. Have yet to see anyone at baseball games with Man U gear on. Way things are going, Mr. Kean might not even willingly wear Man U gear.

Mags,

The "Iggles"?? Now there is a team with cohesion and a collective focus on pulling together. And now I'm really talking into the air.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 987
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 2:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did I say 128 pages? I don't know what I was thinking there. It's actually 132 pages.

And, sorry, Howard, but no Caz pics this time. But if you ever decide to devote one of your other walls to someone else you'll have quite a few faces from which to choose.
Dan Norder, Editor

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 812
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 3:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

Hey Mr.Editor Norder ..umm...any photos of anyone I already have a wall full of ?

sorry, Howard, but no Caz pics this time.

Actually, I think Howard was too modest to say he really wondered if you had any pics of him.

Go ahead Howard, take your best shot.

Don.

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don:

No shot to deliver, Supe...We want Dan to sell tons o' magazines,so why put my mug in a single issue? My parents had to pay people to play with me when I was little.

I also saw that Everton game. I saw a cute dark haired girl in the stands with the Yankee logo on her hat. Even airhead Yankee fans are often cute.

132 pages? Thats a whole lotta magazine this time,Mr.Editor-man-who-apparently-doesn't-care- about-his-buddy-anymore. No Caz? Whats up with that?

Perturbed Reader

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3197
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 6:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

subscribers in the following places, Uk Europe, South Africa and Australia. Your issues are now in the post, or at least they will be in a minute!

Jenni
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my mamma taught me better than that."

Dan Norder
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 9:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...and issues for Canadian and most of the U.S. subscribers were in the mail yesterday, while the rest of the U.S. ones were sent off earlier today. (Well, except for the person who subscribed after I got back from the post office... that always seems to happen.)
Dan Norder, Editor

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 448
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sweet. It's about damn time! I'm looking forward to the new issue. Damn shame there won't be a Howard Brown pull-out poster, though.

T-Dubs

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

T-Dubs...

If LCD entertainment is what you want...then check out my spread in Prole Illustrated....3 pages of choice sirloin shots,albeit airbrushed to the gills for the mainstream and them what has weak stomachs.... Baron Von Zipper can't put that bad bear down.

Looking forward to the next beefy issue Dan.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2608
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yo Jenni!
It has made my day!There it was ,lying on the floor,a little dogeared from transport but no matter!
It looks like its the best ever too-choc full of goodies!WOW!
See ya!
Cheers
Nats
ps and Jane"s brilliant illustration on the cover makes it even more of an unputdownable read!

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2610
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 4:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,
Well congratulations on a really first rate,
ripper related periodical!
I have read four articles already and I got it less than 24 hours ago!

I had already heard Jenny give her impromptu
spellbinder at Brighton and her article in this current edition is just as amazing !

Next I thought Wolf"s study of police activity in 1888 was absolutely stunning!If anyone ever asks regarding the 1888 hunt for Jack the Ripper,"Could the Police have done more?"I shall point them in the direction of Wolf"s brilliant piece of research!For here we have a "bird"s eye view" of the monumental pressure the police and Assistant Commissioner, Robert Anderson were working under regarding Irish Home Rule etc in 1888 and somehow the whole ripper investigation starts to fall into place before your eyes.

Don"s piece on "Grave Spitting" and other tales,although much lighter in tone,again provides us with a framework within which we can judge the likely veracity of much of the folklore and "hearsay" connected with the ripper.What is also good about Don"s work is that he examines his subject with care and sensitivity so that the findings dont give licence to run around shouting "Ya Boo Sucks to you !"if ,say,we don"t agree with someone"s reliance on a particularly obscure piece of "hearsay".Instead he gives us a sort of "spirit level" with which to balance the odds regarding unverifiable historical claims.

Now I come to what I feel is one of the most outstanding, thoroughly researched,detailed accounts of any murder case,circa the ripper[1901 to be exact]that I have ever read:
Bob Clack"s superbly detailed account of the discovery of Mary Ann Austin"s body in 35 Dorset Street,-still in 1901 a Crossingham"s lodging house -and the trial for her murder.
It is hard to do this piece justice in the few minutes I have this morning but I would say the whole piece,the whole flow of Bob"s finding amount to one heck of a tour de force.
In every sense it is like having a guided tour around the East End,at the turn of the century,starting with the layout and management of the lodging house itself and very instructive this is.
We then find out exactly what happened when people got taken to the Whitechapel Hospital-the kind of care they received,how they were registered etc.
Another valuable insight is given when we are taken ,step by step through a murder Inquest---one assumes its typical and yet it differs so much from say the Inquest on Mary Kelly.The coroner"s role was so crucial then.
Last but not least we are given a view of what happened to an innocent man and his family of young children in those hard times.
This unbelievably poignant,factual tale moved me more than Dickens ever could...because this time I knew it was for real.
A fantastic edition,Dan.
Natalie

Dan Norder
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie,

I am impressed. I think you read some 75 pages or so in less than a day.

Thanks for the comments. What can I say, Ripper Notes is fortunate to be able to attract such great contributions.
Dan Norder, Editor

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 977
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 9:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,

I got my copy today and began reading it. In particular I was reading the book reviews and was intrigued by the review of THE FIRST JACK THE RIPPER VICTIM PHOTOGRAPHS by Robert J. McLaughlin. It sounds like a remarkably well researched book. I do question one comment. The French criminologists given are Lacassagne, Lamoreux, Coutagne, Bertillon, Stork and Delaye. I can't agree that they have become largely forgotten. Lacassagne was a very important scientific criminologist in that period, in particular helping to solve the 1889 Gouffe murder by Michel Eyraud and Gabrielle Bompard. As for Alphonse Bertillon, although his identification system was not fool proof it still has some back-up use by the police and it has the distinction of being the first system that was used by police systems around the world.

I wish to note, in passing, that the French case that stimulated the use of the photographs of Mary Kelly and the other victims - the Vacher case - was the subject of a French motion picture called (in French) THE JUDGE AND THE ASSASSIN (1976), with Michel Gouraud as the character based on Vacher, and Philippe Noiret as a judge supposedly based on Professor Lacassagne. The film is on video (in the original French).

Best wishes,

Jeff

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 461
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

REVIEW: RIPPER NOTES #24

It's printed on paper. Nuff said.

subscribe at www.rippernotes.com

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

MattG
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 4:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stunning.

This one issue alone was worth the subscription fee for a year.

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 463
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 4:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matt G in the place to be,

Don't give Dan Norder any ideas about raising the sub price! Out of curiosity, what was your favorite article in the issue?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3289
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,
that was uncharcteristically short,

not complaining!

Jenni
"Are you hanging up a stocking on your wall?"

MattG
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 6:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well its is hard to choose but if you are going to force me to nail my flag to a particular mast then, Jennifer Pegg's "Uncle Jack Under the Microscope" and Robert Clack's "Death in the Lodging House” stand out for me.

Jenni’s because its nice to have a bit of research done and published while a certain topic is still topical (if you follow me) often because there is a bit of a back log and because these Periodicals are just that ‘periodical’ they don’t often have the most up-to-date content.

And Mr Clacks article was astoundingly engaging and brilliantly written.

And then there was also Don Souden's "Grave-Spitting & Other Tall Tales" also fascinating.

Oh and the lovely papery feel of the paper for us old-fashioned types who like to read it in the bath without ruining the Laptop.

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3334
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 1:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cover art, table of contents and sample article "Grave Spitting", by Don Souden, are now available online at:

http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media/book_reviews/periodicals/rippernotes.2005_oct.html

Enjoy -

Stephen
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.