Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through August 15, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Ripperologist » Ripperologist: issue 60, July 2005 » Archive through August 15, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ripperologist magazine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RIPPEROLOGIST

I heard dogs howling.  And when the dream came, it seemed the whole room was filled with mist.  It was so thick, I could just see the lamp by the bed, a tiny spark in the fog.  And then I saw two red eyes glaring at me.

And a white livid face came down out of the mist.  It came closer and closer.  I felt its breath on my face and then its lips.

Coming in July.  Be prepared.

www.ripperologist.info

Ripperologist magazine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 9:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another flash of lightning -- another shriek -- there could be now no delusion.

A tall figure is standing on the ledge immediately outside the long window. It is its finger-nails upon the glass that produce the sound so like the hail, now that the hail has ceased. Intense fear paralysed the limbs of the beautiful girl. That one shriek is all she can utter -- with hand clasped, a face of marble, a heart beating so wildly in her bosom, that each moment it seems as if it would break its confines, eyes distended and fixed upon the window, she waits, frozen with horror.

The pattering and clattering of the nails continue. No word is spoken, and now she fancies she can trace the darker form of that figure against the window, and she can see the long arms moving to and fro, feeling for some mode of entrance. What strange light is that which now gradually creeps up into the air? red and terrible -- brighter and brighter it grows. The lightning has set fire to a mill, and the reflection of the rapidly consuming building falls upon that long window. There can be no mistake. The figure is there, still feeling for an entrance, and clattering against the glass with its long nails, that appear as if the growth of many years had been untouched.

She tries to scream again but a choking sensation comes over her, and ... over her, and she cannot. It is too dreadful -- she tries to move -- each limb seems weighted down by tons of lead -- she can but in a hoarse faint whisper cry, -- "Help -- help -- help -- help!"

Coming in July.

Be Prepared.

Be a Subscriber.

www.ripperologist.info

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2660
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 7:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam,
i have to ask, are you feeling alright?

Jenni
"By the power of Greyskull - I have the power!"

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4674
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 9:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She needs to get a new window cleaner.

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2663
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

think that they've gone mad or something, Robert?!!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4675
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 1:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni, this is certainly a terrifying piece. Even a werewolf would find the hair standing up on the backs of his knees at this.

I'm so nervous I'll have to sleep tonight with the sun on.

Robert

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 1:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do we get a prize if we can identify it?

Trouble is, to anyone British of a certain age, the title conjures up "On the Buses", and horrors of a different kind entirely ...

Chris Phillips

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 628
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 2:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And the whole piece starts out "It was a dark and stormy night. . . ." right?

I am curious about one thing, anyway: The lightning has set fire to a mill, and the reflection of the rapidly consuming building falls upon that long window. What is the building so rapidly consuming?

Don.

"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4676
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 3:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, if this is what passes for room service down in Brighton....

Robert

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 705
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 6:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"And a white livid face came down out of the mist. It came closer and closer. I felt its breath on my face and then its lips."..

Thats easy you guys ! Its from...
....from Caz's Diary.....the entry refers to me. Its in the chapter.."It Came In Through The Kitchen Window..."

No ink dating will be required for this diary, but you will have to wipe the fog of your glasses more than once...oh,its a steamer !!!

Thanks to Adam Wood for reprinting it in the upcoming Rip. I lived it...and now youse can read about it...

...and now its back to dreamland...

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 7:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard

Its in the chapter.."It Came In Through The Kitchen Window..."

Isn't that a Beatles song?

And so I quit the police department
And got myself a steady job
And though she tried her best to help me
She could steal but she could not rob

Chris Phillips

PS I still think "On the Buses" should be revived on the Big Screen before they do the Maybrick Movie. Johnny Depp in the Reg Varney role. Perhaps Cate Blanchett as Olive. Rather unbelievable that Dame Cicely Courtneidge, in her late 70s, appeared in the original series as "Stan's Mum". Probably Dame Judi Dench should be substituted.

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 706
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 7:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris:

Yessir,it is. Its on Abbey Road. If one was to listen to Procul Harum's first album,they would see a song very similar to this Beatles tune,entitled,She Wandered Through The Garden Fence. Its from 1967. I believe the Beatles "nicked it". Hey..they are 'scousers,ain't they ? Chris George is real old like me, maybe he remembers this Harum tune..

I'm just as anxious as everyone else is to figure what the hell Adam is on about here..Could it have something to do with the 10 lb. bag of LSD-25 I sent ? Maybe...

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 8:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam,

The was the gayest ad I've ever seen. You been sitting within inhaling distance of Monty?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Howard Brown IS Ripperology.

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 629
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 9:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

You might check out George Harrison's "My Greatest Songs" album. Side A leads off with "My Sweet Lord," followed by "My Sweet Stardust," "My Sweet Easter Parade," My Sweet Tea for Two," "Give My Sweet Regards to Broadway," "My Sweet Rhapsody in Blue," and "My Sweet Fifth Symphony." Side B has a lot of very familiar tunes as well.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 707
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don...

I already have high blood pressure buddy...Listening to a side of saccharinated schmaltz like Harrison's A side or B side will gimme diabetes. Then I couldn't enjoy sugar from Cazzie or Janie or all those other sweet femme fatales in Ripperology.....

Ask Dave Radka....the least appreciated album from back then is Traffic's "Mr.Fantasy". Kevin Braun's Kinks are up there too...

What else is in Ripperologist # 60, Adam ? Can you divulge,a la Karl Rove, some secrets? Like Rove, you won't be held accountable,sor....

Inquiring Mind..

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 3:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

Im not in it so rest assured that this has nothing to do with me.

I sniff an air of Went about this upcoming issue.

Regards
Monty
:-)

PS You will be hearing from my Lawyers in due course....you were warned.

I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4678
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 4:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, this is my cast suggestion for "On the Buses" :

Stan the driver.....Netley
Jack the conductor....JTR
Inspector Blake....Abberline ("More blood in your bus? I 'ate you for this")
Mum.....Queen Victoria
Arthur (who's never been the same since his operation)....Sickert
Olive...Any PC in drag
Nichols, Chapman, Stride, Eddowes, Kelly....clippies
Peasouper fog (very dense)...PAV
In charge of log book....Maybrick
Cemetery gates....Stephenson (using magical powers)

Robert

Adam Went
Inspector
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 5:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Yes, interesting intro there to issue #60.
Well, since it's already mid-July, I'd say we'll get the new issue before too long anyway - perhaps Adam (the other one, to save any confusion) wants it to remain a mystery.
Time will tell!...

Monty,

"I sniff an air of Went about this upcoming issue."

Oh do you now?
Well...perhaps, perhaps. ;)

But to be honest, I don't know any more than anyone else here does, although our article was planned to appear within the next few issues.
We'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, hopefully we'll get a complete preview...

Cheers,
Adam. :-)
"Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once."
- Kirsten Cooke,"Allo' Allo'"

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2670
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the only explanation is that Adam (or whoever it is, i only assume it is Adam) is writing some kind of novel.

Jenni

ps hey Monty, all i can say is that Westcott sure seems to know a lot about the stuff, maybe there is something he's not telling us?

Ripperologist magazine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 7:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vampires in Spitalfields

Vampires in Spitalfields
July 2005

www.ripperologist.info

AWood
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni

I am writing a novel, but that will appear in the September issue.

Adam

Ripperologist magazine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 8:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RIPPEROLOGIST

Bram Stoker, Kim Newman, Robert Eighteen-Bisang, Christopher Lowe, Joe Chetcuti, David A Green, Rob Hills.  Paul Begg, Eduardo Zinna, Christopher George, Adam Wood, Christopher-Michael DiGrazia, Wilf Gregg, Chris Scott, Glenn.  Jack the Ripper, Dracula, Hall Caine, Vlad Tepes, Buffalo Bill Cody, Henry Irving, Colonel Francis Hughes-Hallett, Francis J Tumblety, William T Stead, William Pinkerton, James Hardiman, George J Morris, Bowden Endacott, Lewis Carroll, Ian Holm.

Ripperologist No. 60. 
Coming in July. 
Be prepared.  Be a subscriber.

www.ripperologist.info

Awood
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 5:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good shout Chris P - but no prize sadly

Adam

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 3:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard

I am a Beatles fan as well as a Procol Harum fan but I fail to see any real resemblance between Procol's 1967 "She Wandered Through The Garden Fence" and Abbey Road's "She Came In Through the Bathroom Window." Scousers are proud of what they nick and own up to it, but in this case I pronounce the Beatles blameless.

Abbey Road

Magical Mystery Tour

P.S. Who is that Man in the Black Cloak and the White Makeup sitting beside us here in Brighton as we tuck into our fruit compote. yikes
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 5:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam

Fair enough. I only typed a phrase into Google. If there was a prize, it would be just too easy!

Chris Phillips

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 713
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

C.G.

Fair enough....The best band in the world didn't need to nick anything. You have to admit the title seems like it made at least an impression on McCartney...

I saw you on television again yesterday...The War of 1812 documentary. This time I taped it and hid it so it wouldn't get taped over by my daughter like the last one.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard

Thanks Howard... Glad you got a copy of the documentary. September should be a good month for me. I expect an announcement re 1812 battlefield preservation in Maryland to be coming out of the governor's office, something I have been working on for over a decade. And I have an article on the Battle of North Point due to appear in the September issue of Military History as well.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 5:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like a fantastic issue coming up for #60, I look forward to receiving it!
I must say, the cover of the issue looks fantastic, very catching, so great work there, Adam!

Hey..Monty...looks like our article missed out on this issue after all...your senses were apparently telling you wrong... ;)

Cheers,

John Ruffels
Inspector
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 403
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 6:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Ripperologist Magazine,
From memory I recall hearing an attractive girl
(was her name Mina?) tell me that very same story back in 1931....
My guests had mislaid their luggage....
And I said to the beautiful girl:
"I never drink WINE..."

Eduardo Zinna
Detective Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 9:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The spider spinning its web for the unwary fly...the blood is the life, Mr Ruffels...

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 5:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eduardo & Adam,

Just wondering, has the July issue actually been sent out yet, or is it still waiting for printing?

I'm only asking because post around here has been very slow lately, taking about twice as long as it normally would, so if the issue is late, I'll know why!

Regards,

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 6:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adam

We are completing proofreading of the issue and Adam Wood expects it to go to print tomorrow.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 274
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 6:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.
As I said, the post is much slower here at the moment than it should be (it recently took me 6 days to receive a parcel when normally it would have probably taken 2, 3 at the most), so it might take a little longer for the issue to arrive, but I look forward to receiving it anyway!

Thanks again,
Cheers,

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adam

Glad to help. Adam Wood has let me know that there are more things to finalize in this jam-packed issue than he anticipated but we do still plan to go to press by the end of the week but not as early as Monday. It's a chore just to keep the bats from flying around. We have had to hire Eduardo Zinna as bat wrangler, so he is on a double salary for this issue. grin

Chris

(Message edited by ChrisG on July 17, 2005)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 402
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Beatles kick arse. EVERYBODY loves the Beatles, making it one of those very rare moments when the collective majority is right. I'd bet even David Radka would agree with that! On another note, I'm very much looking forward to the new issue of Rip.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 5:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update, again, much appreciated.
I imagine that with the list of people contributing to this issue, it would be quite jam-packed! Oh well, all the more interesting!

Errr....Eduardo Zinna as a bat wrangler?
He'll have the job ahead of him!
I don't think Eduardo would harm a fly! :-)

Cheers,

Ripperologist magazine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 8:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

jul05

The dim echo of Jack the Ripper’s footsteps still reverberated along the back alleys of Whitechapel when a new, jauntier sound – not unlike the rustling of gigantic, leathery wings – was heard in the crowded streets of London. Count Dracula was in town. Once again, women fell to a murderer’s lust; once again, strong men and women rose to combat this evil incarnate. Like his predecessor in darkness, the Count evaded capture and made good his escape. He did not, however, vanish in the night, as the Ripper had; he was pursued across Europe back to his mountain lair and destroyed for ever.

Of course, the Count was a literary character, while the Ripper truly walked the earth. But apart from that, they had much in common. Indeed, there is hard evidence that the Ripper was one of the sources that inspired Bram Stoker to write Dracula.

The current issue of Ripperologist explores in depth the many links between the Ripper and the Count. First of all, Bram Stoker himself tells us about the Ripper and the Count in the long lost preface to the Icelandic edition of Dracula, which appears in a brand-new translation through the courtesy of Transylvania Press. Kim Newman - the celebrated author of Anno Dracula, an alternative-history novel where Jack the Ripper, for once on the side of good, battles Dracula, who has married widowed Queen Victoria to become the ruler of Britain – fingers the ultimate Ripper suspect in Drac the Ripper. Robert Eighteen-Bisang, the foremost collector of vampire literature in the world, investigates the Transylvanian connection in Dracula, Jack the Ripper and a Thirst for Blood. Christopher Lowe rounds up our special Dracula section with another take on the affinities between the vampire and the killer.

As if that were not enough – we do give you more Ripper for your money, you know – Joe Chetcuti returns with the continued saga of everybody’s favourite quack doctor, social climber and Ripper suspect: Francis Tumblety. Rob Hills tracks Ripper suspects through the East End of London and his own town of Stockton, Teesside, in the North East of England.

To complete our features section, David A Green accepts Richard Wallace’s challenge and solves his Lewis Carroll conundrum.

We next bid farewell to three men who, in different ways, will be remembered by Ripperologists round the world: Paul Feldman - who is eulogised by Keith Skinner - and actors James Doohan and John Fiedler, who, almost forty years ago, played a Ripper suspect and the Ripper himself in an episode of Star Trek.

Then there is Chris Scott with his Press Trawl, Wilf Gregg with his Crimebeat and Christopher-Michael DiGrazia with his Last Word; and when you have read all that, there’s much more: I Beg to Report, Reviews and your own views and opinions reflected in our Letters and Comments section.

Now, this should keep you in reading material for at least two to three weeks; more, if you move your lips. And think that when you are finished with this issue of Ripperologist there will be only a few weeks to wait before the next issue plops on your doorstep.

All you have to do is subscribe. S-U-B-S-C-R-I-B-E. We’ve made it easy for you. Go to www.ripperologist.info and subscribe online. Or send your money to PO Box 735, Maidstone, Kent ME17 1JF, UK. Only £ 24, $ 60 or € 34 for six issues.

RIPPEROLOGIST:
The Journal of Jack the Ripper, East End and Victorian Studies.

Executive Editor: Paul Begg.
European Editor: Eduardo Zinna.
North American Editor: Christopher T George.
Production: Adam Wood.

Paul Cleaton
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 9:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To go back to the original post, the passage reads like 'Varney The Vampyre', although it could be any of those 'penny-dreadfuls' of the time.

AWood
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 1:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Paul

The first post quoted from the 1931 film version of Dracula, as identified by Jonh Ruffels above, and the second post was indeed quoting Varney the Vampyre, and spotted by Chris Phillips, prompting his 'Reg Varney the Vamprye' On the Buses posts.

Adam
Production
Ripperologist magazine
www.ripperologist.info

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 779
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just recieved the July issue yesterday...

I had the privelege of reading Mr. Rob Hills' very interesting article .."The Butterfly Collector", which goes into some depth regarding his preferred suspect, James Hardiman, the cat's meat seller from Whitechapel and G.J. Morris,an ex-policeman as being part of a possible cadre of bad policemen....and the perpetrators of the WM crimes.

"Shaking down" prostitutes or drug dealers} for money or protection is not unique by crooked cops. Within my own family, I have a cousin who was a member of the dreaded "5 Squad" of the Philadelphia Police Dept. that shook down drug importers. A program on A and E highlighted their "career" a few years back. Cousin Leo is in prison for extorting hundreds of thousands of dollars from P2P [ active ingredient of methampthetamine ] importers from Germany.

Anyway...Mr. Hills' article is indicative of the expanse of Ripper studies,as was Tom Wescott's in another magazine,and A.P. Wolf's findings,as well as others,here at Casebook, of other possible areas of research. Sometimes we may feel that the gamut has been run. Not so. Not so at all....

I don't know how to contact Mr. Hills,to his benefit perhaps, but I had two questions regarding statements found within his very enlightening article. Maybe someone else can answer them..

First of all...on page 24 of his article, he mentions the statement made by Paul Harrison who claims that the word "Jewes" referred to the nickname given to the City Police by the Metropolitan Police. Does anyone know if this is a fact or not?

Secondly...On page 26, Mr. Hills states that he contacted the folks at the Funerary Specialists within the Dept. of Ancient Egypt and Sudan, who told him that the marks on Mrs. Eddowes' face were not influenced by by any exhibit at the museum,nor where there any parallels with mummies or ancient Egyptian practices.

Not being critical of Mr. Hills at all, but I am wondering if Mr. Hills could elaborate if he contacted any other ancient ritualist specialists and what they may have to offer. I'm glad he did contact the Egyptologists...I'm just curious why he selected them.

Because Mr. Hills' states that he believes the "marks on Catherine's face refer to the abnormalities caused by untreated syphilis..." [ page 26 ]. It appears Mr. Hills is stating that there were no Ripper-made mutilations,but rather these markings were the manifestations of syphilis alone.

I'm just a little puzzled by this statement. I have seen the results of syphilis on a person's face [ the hollowing in effect...], but the markings on Mrs. Eddowes' face were not "V" shaped, but rather chevron shaped....

Any opinions ?

(Message edited by howard on August 07, 2005)

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 414
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm still waiting to receive mine. And I'm in a Dracula mood. Been going over some old Famous Monsters magazines and last week watched Bram Stoker's Dracula for the first time in years. I'll probably get my issue tomorrow or Tuesday. I always seem to get it last. Hmmmm....

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 303
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 6:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

You're not alone (as far as receiving the magazine goes, anyway). I'm still waiting for mine to arrive as well.

Sounds like it will be a pretty good issue when it does come, but does anyone have any idea roughly how much longer they should be?

Cheers,

"...Since then the idea has taken full possession of me, and everything fits in and dovetails so well that I cannot help feeling that this (George Chapman) is the man we struggled so hard to capture fifteen years ago..."

- Inspector Frederick Abberline, March 1903 interview, Pall Mall Gazette .
Hmmm.....

Christopher Lowe
Sergeant
Username: Clowe

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 2:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've only read the Dracula bits so far for obvious reasons (mentioned on the same page better yet in the same sentence as Stoker).

My own piece comes across as a bit rushed (I was writing a thesis at the time).

I had already read a translation of Bram Stoker's preface but many readers would not have.

Robert Eighteen-Bisang's essay is good, better than mine, but as far as I am concerned Stoker did not conciously base Dracula on the Ripper but he may have gained some subconcious ideas.

Kim Newman's essay is the best of the bunch so far - incredibly witty.

My own essay is at its best on the first page were I provide a brief literature review of the ideas on Dracula's origin. I would like to clarify the conclusion I give: Due to a personal interest via Mansfield's play and the focus of the public sphere on the Ripper crimes Stoker may have subconciously incorporated elements of them into Dracula.

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 5:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How,

Off topic Guys, apologies,

How, you remarked I'm just a little puzzled by this statement. I have seen the results of syphilis on a person's face [ the hollowing in effect...], but the markings on Mrs. Eddowes' face were not "V" shaped, but rather chevron shaped....

I see your point but surely the question over v shaped or ^ shaped depends on which angle/position your are at with relationship to the body.

Could easly be a <or> couldnt it?

Regards,

Your Nemisis.

...and I said: "My name is 'Sue!' How do you do!
Now you're gonna die!!"

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 309
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 7:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha! My copy of the Rip arrived in the mail just today. Looks fantastic, too. Another great piece of cover artwork by Adam Wood, as usual.
Looking forward to getting into it!

Cheers,

P.S. Thanks to Eduardo Zinna, who always seems to read my messages and e-mails me to apologise or explain, each time I comment on articles in the issues, or the wait for an issue to arrive.
Great work, Eduardo... :-)
"...Since then the idea has taken full possession of me, and everything fits in and dovetails so well that I cannot help feeling that this (George Chapman) is the man we struggled so hard to capture fifteen years ago..."

- Inspector Frederick Abberline, March 1903 interview, Pall Mall Gazette .
Hmmm.....

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 785
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 5:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty.....

Buddy, my question to Mr. Hills was in reference to the statement he made that seems to appear to mean that the much discussed markings weren't Ripper made but from syphilis. This is news to me and I just wanted to see if Mr. Hills would elaborate. I've been told he seldom posts here,so...

... I sent an email over to the letters to the editor at Ripperologist asking essentially the same thing I posted here. Did you read that part of the magazine article?

Later

How

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 419
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 9:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

I haven't read Hills piece, but if you're interpreting it correctly (and I really hope you're not!) then that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 4:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How....Sweetie,

Not managed to get fully into Robs article just yet. Skimmed over it briefly.

Monty
...and I said: "My name is 'Sue!' How do you do!
Now you're gonna die!!"

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3283
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The cover art, table of contents and sample article "Dracula, Jack the Ripper, and A Thirst for Blood" are now up on the Casebok at:

http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media/book_reviews/periodicals/ripperologist.2005-07.html

The issue is also now fully indexed in the Ripperologist search engine.

- Stephen
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 5:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have just finished Joe Chetcuti"s piece on Tumblety in London, Trailing an Infiltrator,Part Two.
The two articles read like a meditation on the extent and art of Tumblety"s conmanship.Here we have a sham,a trickster neatly threading his way through the Victorian minefield of America"s and London"s High Society one minute,the next ,Mr.Toad-like, being led off between two burly police officers for a spell in clink!
This was a man who amassed a huge bank account which he never touched,who had dubious links with the Fenians and was pursued by the special branch across the Atlantic-a man who had no territory of his own,a perennial exile who hosted grand parties for the Washington elite yet was thought by police in England to be a possible contender
for the ripper.
Joe"s is a dense,complex article about a charismatic ,contradictory, character.He can sink a probe into an English gentleman"s club in 1888,hop over to San Francisco and sink another into the Irish American mutual
Society in 1870 ,he talks us all around a subject, backs into it before finally honing in,even then leaving us wondering what he has been ruminating on! This shifting back and forth in time and country is epic in its scope, seemless in its composition,
conversational,repetitive...and thoroughly enjoyable
Natalie

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.