Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Journal of the Whitechapel Society - ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Journal of the Whitechapel Society » Journal of the Whitechapel Society - Issue #3 - June 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3260
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The cover art, table of contents and sample article ("Jack in the Box" by Robin Odell") for the June 2005 edition of the Journal of the Whitechapel Society is now available on the Casebook at:

http://casebook.org/ripper_media/book_reviews/periodicals/whitechapel_society.2005-06.html

Subscription information for the Whitechapel Society can be found at http://www.whitechapelsociety.com

Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2494
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 1:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

should i wonder where my copy is?

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 2:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I enjoyed Robin Odell's deconstruction of Uncle Jack.

However, Mr. Odell states: "Significantly, while the uteri were removed by Jack the Ripper from two of his five victims, this organ remained intact in the other three, including Mary Kelly, where the circumstances of her death provided the greatest opportunity for her murderer to secure any body part he desired."

Mr. Odell is not correct the uterus "remained intact" in the case of Mary Jane Kelly. It was removed from her body but not from the room. Per Dr. Thomas Bond's report on the Post Mortem on Mary Kelly: "The viscera were found in various parts viz: the uterus & Kidneys with one breast under the head, . . ."

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 701
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 7:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

Considering that the meeting was only this weekend and the issues for those who couldn't make it are sent out afterwards, it's probably too early to be worried.

I happened to talk to Coral Kelly over email a few hours ago, and she said she mailed (or posted or whatever it is over there) a batch out today. I don't know that yours was in it, but it seems a fair guess.

Odds are good you'll gets yours before I get mine.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I, for one, am looking forward to the new issue. I very much enjoyed the Andy Parlour two-parter from the previous ones. It's quite fascinating how four different journals dedicated to the same subject can be so distinctive, but Whitechapel Society Journal is certainly a journal of its own! I hope to see more Coral Kelly articles such as the ones she used to write for Rip - the historical walk-throughs of East End Streets.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 8:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Indeed

here it is looking good as usual.

Robin Odell, excellent review (of course he is his first cousin five times removed not uncle)
like Robin says some evidence would be nice.

Anyhow,
Jenni

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1821
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 5:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Don't you think that by 'intact' Robin simply meant MJK's uterus was found in one piece?

Robin's point was surely that Jack removed the uterus but left it 'intact' at the scene, when he could easily have taken it away with him if that was his bag.

Love,

Caz
X

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 565
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 1:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Morris' report on the Peter Higginbotham piece on workhouses in Whitechapel and The East End was a very informative piece.

One part of the piece on page 18, on that chart, THE WORKHOUSE PUNISHMENT BOOK, is pretty funny.

Look at #98...

William Brooks
offense- Going away in the house clothes and taking one of the Idiots with him for 3 hours.
He wasn't punished despite having three offenses on this list.

A very good magazine and a nice mix of stories.

Nice work,my brethren in the WS1888 !!!

HowBrown,member in the hinterlands.....
HowBrown

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2638
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 2:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or IN his BAG ,Caz!!

He he.
Semi seriously though chaps a superb piece of work! I too REALLY enjoyed Robin's piece on the good Doctor!!!

Keep it up!

Suzi

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.