Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Issue #22 - April 2005 - Ripper Notes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Ripper Notes » Issue #22 - April 2005 - Ripper Notes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 627
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 9:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm putting the finishing touches on the latest issue of Ripper Notes and thought I'd give the Casebook readers a heads up so you know what to expect.

First up, Jane Coram starts us with a cover depicting what the scene outside Mary Jane Kelly's room may have looked like on the night of her murder:

Ripper Notes April 2005 cover (c) Jane Coram

As for articles, we have a wide variety largely based upon the loose theme of "Murder by Numbers" (no, not the song by The Police, though you can sing that in the background while reading this if you want to). In this case Murder by Numbers means times of death, numbers of victims and so forth. Sadly no paint by numbers, because I got vetoed on that.

In no particular order (I'm still sorting out which goes on which page...), we have:

•Wolf Vanderlinden's "Considerable Doubt" on the question of Annie Chapman's time of death.

•Amanda Howard's "Factor X" on using other serial killer cases to try to see what we might be able to say about Jack.

•Jeffrey Bloomfield on some murders of London prostitutes prior to the Autumn of Terror that have disturbing similarities, and how the police and newspapers handled such crimes.

•Robert J. McLaughlin with coverage and comments from Dear Boss, the play with 30 puppets, three actors and a whole lot of fun.

•Bernard Brown on a PC who thought he had almost caught the Ripper and got a nasty scar for his trouble.

•Des McKenna's "Mary, Mary Quite Contrary" with two Mary Kellys for the price of one... plus men with hats, and men without hats, and women singing. (Suddenly I have the "Safety Dance" stuck in my head. Those unfamiliar with '80s music can ignore that reference, those familiar with it can sing along...)

And there may be more content sneaking its way into the issue depending upon space. My article, "Heartless," that was bumped last time may or may not be one of them. It's easier for me to push my own article back then tell a contributor that he or she has to wait three more months to see his or hers in print.

We also have the regular features: "Notes from the News Morgue," Jennifer Pegg's "The Inquest" survey results, lots of publications reviewed for "The Bookcase," "New & Notes" and any of the others I may be forgetting off the top of my head.

The issue will probably show up in mailboxes within 2-3 weeks time. Subscription information for those who aren't currently signed up can be found at the RipperNotes.com website and single issue orders can be arranged through myself (all credit card orders and US/Canadian residents), Jennifer Pegg (European orders in British pounds), or Amazon in a few weekd when it's listed there.

Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3385
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great stuff, Dan.

Looks good indeed and a lot of interesting articles with intriguing subjects. Well done.
And as I recall, McLaughlin will appear as speaker at the Brighton Conference too.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on April 15, 2005)
G. Andersson, author/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 326
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 3:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The cover...by Jane Coram... Priceless.

The fact J.B. reappears in print...Priceless.

That maybe Mr.McLaughlin is almost ready to release his book of photographs...I needs to know !!!

I hope this is covered in this issue.

Looking forward to it Dan...

Big thumbs up in advance to all the contributors....

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 4:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it just me or does the current cover match awfully nicely with the new Ripperologist? My coffee table will look so purty this month.
-K
"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

A Wood
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How

Not only am I co-organising the Brighton Conference in October with Claudia Aliffe, where Robert is speaking, but I'm also handling the layout of his book (how do I get time to sleep I hear you ask? Simple: read Cornwell).

Robert assures me that the book will be completed and available in time for Brighton. Having been privileged to see the content, I can tell you it's well worth the wait.

If you're going to Brighton, you're in for a treat.

Adam

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 328
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 5:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam

Thanks for this information,bubs....I appreciate it as I am really hepped up to see Robert Mac's book.

Nah, I can't make the Brighton gig. I hope it's a dynamite event. Thanks for the info again..

How

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 657
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 1:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those anxiously awaiting the current issue of Ripper Notes, I thought I'd let you know that there's been a delay... or rather a series of annoying small delays that added up. It shouldn't be too much longer, knock on wood.
Dan Norder, Editor

Scott Nelson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Snelson

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 6:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Knock on wood, I shall. Running a tad short? Why not have Mr. Legion whip up a few pages of specious JtR prose. And maybe supplement it with a few more pages of foolscap watercolor images showing the murder sites? Just a suggestion.

Scott Nelson
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, this reminds me!!! My subscription to RN is due to expire with the outcoming April issue. Please kindly renew my subscription for another 5 years. The cheque is in the mail. Thank you.

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 660
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scott,

Odd, you haven't had a subscription to Ripper Notes since before I even took over a full year ago. "Legion" has never written for the publication (under his real name or a pseudonym). The "watercolor images" you refer to was one image, a back cover design that was posted in a previous thread here from an authentic 19th century map.

I don't want to seem too snarky here, but it might be nice if you left the conversation to people who actually are subscribers. If you want to play make believe (or whatever it is you think you are doing) you should find a more suitable place.
Dan Norder, Editor

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 341
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 9:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who is 'Legion' and what's got Scott Nelson so pissy? And why does everyone hate Dan Norder? Enquiring minds want to know.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2340
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom,
Legion is Jason Mullins, he's a poster here, he changed his username to legion for some reason best known to himself.

I don't know what's got Scott is pissy.
He probably doesn't even know

Jenni

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 663
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom,

David Radka a while back claimed that the only reason someone would post messages against his theory was if I paid them, deciding then that Jason was going to be made an editor at Ripper Notes as part of some reward. Scott apparently confused a figment of David's overactive imagination with reality.

Yeah, and a couple of other people have said some equally odd things lately. Is it just me, or is everyone pretty much at each other's throats about everything lately (see other threads here for examples)? Something in the water? Weather maybe? The UK election season? (I saw a political ad from over there with a giant octopus attacking London. That would probably be kind of stressful, LOL.)
Dan Norder, Editor

Scott Nelson
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 6:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nonsense. You've been swimming in the alkaloids of belladonna. I equate you with Mullins because you're both weasels who deserve each other.

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 944
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 7:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan

(I saw a political ad from over there with a giant octopus attacking London. That would probably be kind of stressful, LOL.)

I must have missed that!

Could it have been:
(1) An episode of Dr Who
(2) Footage of the Deputy Prime Minister having lunch?

Chris Phillips

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 7:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan

I have noticed that the traffic in Baltimore and Washington, D.C., has been insane in the last few days. So there may be something in the air. At any rate, note Stephen Ryder's post of last evening warning about behavior on the boards.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 664
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris (Phillips),

Not an episode of Doctor Who as the special effects were better than that. OK, granted, I'm in the US and haven't seen any of the new episodes, so they might be over the guy in a rubber suit phase.

Possibly the Deputy Prime Minister... would he have tentacles and an appetite for famous landmarks?

I thought the octopus thing was supposed to represent the European Union or something like that. I was too shocked to really pay attention much though.

Hi Chris (George),

Interesting. I doubt the commuters there are too concerned about giant octopodes in British TV commercials. Must be something else then.
Dan Norder, Editor

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 945
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan

That makes sense of Jenni's email to me mentioning a party political broadcast featuring an octopus produced by the fringe "United Kingdom Independence Party"!

The special effects on Dr Who are now much more sophisticated, though men in rubber suits still have a crucial role to play ...

Chris Phillips

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2356
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Indeed Chris,
i found the said party political broadcast after following a link on another site on a thread called funniest party political broadcast ever!

Jenni

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 345
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting thread this has become. Octopusses, Dr. Who (I thought they were just now filming new episodes, and that none had been made in a decade, save for the feature film of '98?), and Scott Nelson trying to talk like David Radka. I'd better go read that 'Behavior' thread Spryder put up before I say anything else.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 670
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 3:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Latest update: Once again the UK printing facilities put the US one to shame. Add in the faster mail service over there and I suspect many people in England will be seeing their issues tomorrow... possibly even before I see a copy myself. US ones I estimate to be showing up for subscribers maybe Saturday if you are somewhere the post office likes, otherwise next week.
Dan Norder, Editor

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 9:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I'm looking forward to mine. And I really seriously love the work Jane Coram has been doing lately. She should make money for this.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. The review of the last RN in the new Ripperana is totally gay.

Jane Coram
Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 420
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I just got my copy through, and leaving aside the front cover ..........(mind you I love what Dan's done with it)

I have just skimmed through it and it looks like a really excellent read. I shall be putting my feet up tonight, with my pack of choccie bikkies and having a great time!

Thanks for those kind words Tom, I just wish there was a publisher out there who thought the same!

Lots of love

Jane

xxxxx

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 354
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 2:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must have been a bad boy, because instead of receiving the new Ripper Notes this week, I got the new Ripperana. I'm considering a review, but trying to figure out how I can be honest and still be nice. I'll sleep on it and get back to you on the Ripperana thread soon.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 392
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This opening story by Mr. Vanderlinden is like the story in the last Rip by Robert House....worth the price of the magazine !

The whole rigamarole by Cadosche doesn't sit well with me [ for different reasons,perhaps....the wimp-out at the fence in particular ] and I really enjoyed this article for the possible rethinking of the time of death in Mrs. Chapman's case.....more than a few aspects of this murder to rethink are contained in this exceptional article....If I was bright,I'd like to be able to write an article like this one. Great work,Mr. V !

....and I haven't even checked out The Borough Of Queens Favorite Son....J.B's [ Jeff Bloomfield ] article.....Ms. Howard's article is for tomorrow....be sure to check her site out at www.thecrimeweb.com ....

Very nice issue....very nice. Great editorial too by whatshisname....

Weslington...review this one a.s.a.p. por favor
HB

..and don't forget to register for RipCon 06.....or go the way of Sube !

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 651
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 8:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard,

All I can say is what Mr. S. H. said once to Dr. W. "My blushes..." Thank you for your support.
My best to Ivor and the others.

Jeff

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 1:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

REVIEW: Ripper Notes, #22, April 2005

(DISCLAIMER): I want to apologize for how lame and boring this review is. I’m tired, I just got a paycut, and SOMEBODY announced to the world that I’m coming out with a Ripper book, when I’ve barely got more than a title, so now I’m like the new Richard Whittington-Egan minus the talent and reputation. But I DO have a cool title, so that’s something. I’d also like to say, to all contributors to Ripperologist and Ripper Notes to keep ‘em coming. Even if I say I don’t like your article, like how I said I don’t like Rob House’s article in the last issue of Ripperologist, just remember that for every idiot like me out there with no taste, there’s at least 3 idiots who WILL like your article, they’re just too busy having a life to get on here and tell you so. And if I happen to rave over your article and say how great you are, don’t go getting a big head, because just cuz I say it’s good doesn’t mean it is. I could just be an idiot with no taste.

RANDOM THOUGHT: Harry Mann’s name makes me chuckle.

Sound the trumpets! The much-beloved Dan Norder is back with another issue of the magazine other editors love to hate. The theme of the issue is printed on the front -‘Murder By Numbers’. The cover looks good, though I might have gone with a darker, more atmospheric color scheme. The image is awesome, though. It’s a painting by Jane Coram (not to be confused with Polly Nichols’s homegirl, Jane Oram) of Mary Kelly being escorted into her humble dwellings by Burt Reynolds wearing an astrakhan coat. Her windows don’t appear to be broken, though, so that’s an oopsy. Moving inside we have…

INTRODUCTION: BY THE NUMBERS. Predictably, given the issue’s theme, the editorial starts off with a quote from the Police song by the same name. The Police also had a hit with ‘Roxanne’, about a prostitute. Maybe Sting should submit an article? Hmmm… Anyway, Norder rambles on about numbers and stuff and how inconsistent Ripperologists are. He makes some good points, and also some weird ones, such as, “Nichols is the only one of the five (excluding Stride, of course) who didn’t have an organ taken way by her killer…’. Um, okay. That’s like saying, “Nichols is the only one of the five (excluding Chapman, Stride, Eddowes, and Kelly, of course) to have had her throat cut by her killer…’. But I’m just kicking ol’ Norder in the shins. However, Norder made the mistake of admitting his pleasure over the contents of the issue. He went so far as to call it ‘great’. Hopefully, Begg will forgive this when writing his next review.

CONSIDERABLE DOUBT AND THE DEATH ANNIE CHAPMAN By Wolf Vanderlinden. Howard Brown, in his recent post, did Vanderlinden a great injustice by comparing this piece to Robert House’s long-winded and wildly speculative piece on Kosminski in the last issue of Ripperologist. To be honest, when I saw where Wolf was going with this, I was rolling my eyes. The fact that he succeeds in giving doubt to the popularly agreed upon time of Chapman’s death (5:30a.m.) must be considered a remarkable achievement. He did it. The one point of falter, however, is the amount of credence he lends to Dr. Phillips’s estimated time of death. Given how unreliable such estimations are today, little can be taken from one made in 1888. While Chapman most likely WAS killed at around 5:30a.m., Wolf gives us very real reasons to reconsider just how sure we are on such things, much like Paul Begg recently did on the matter of Chapman’s drunkenness, another article I very much enjoyed. In short, this is exactly the kind of article I like to read. It waxes of the old days of Dave Yost. You old-timers who used to read Ripper Notes under the editorship of George and Di Grazia know what I’m talking about.

FACTOR X: HOW THE STUDY OF KNOWN SERIAL KILLERS CAN HELP THE HUNT FOR JACK THE RIPPER By Amanda Howard. This article surprised me. I expected another run down of the usual serial killers and the general comparisons we’ve all read a million times. Some of that was there, but Howard also addressed issues rarely brought up, such as how all we THOUGHT we knew about serial killers is maybe not so true. I’ve suspected this for years, but with the recent captures of BTK and the Riverman, the experts are having to reconsider what they’d previously accepted as fact. The simple truth is it will take many more decades before we can truly claim to know the ‘serial killer’. Good work, Amanda.

RANDOM OBSERVATION: If Polly Nichols had been the only woman brutally killed in Whitechapel that Autumn, Charles Cross would have been arrested for her murder.

THE SHERLOCK HOLMES OF ‘G’ DIVISION By Bernard Brown. Bernard Brown is a Ripper mag whore. He’s published in the most recent issues of all four journals (don’t forget Whitechapel Society 1888 now has a journal). Mostly he picks some obscure cop with a funny name or something and gives a history on him. In a recent issue of Ripper Notes, he published a totally awesome article on the witch-dipping history of Buck’s Row, and how it got its name. The ‘Sherlock’ of this article is a cop named John Robinson, and it details his career and how he once followed a man he believed to have been His Sauciness. The article was cool, as most of Brown’s articles are. BUT….BUT…BUT…Since Brown is the editor of Metropolitan Police History, and has the resources and knowledge to find out all about the careers of cops gone by, WHY THE HELL doesn’t he turn his focus to officers actually involved in the Ripper investigation? I could write out a long list that would keep his pudgy little hands busy for months. Seriously, Bernie, how about it? This is my plea to ALL RIPPER MAG EDITORS, except Nick Warren, who doesn’t know how to work a computer and thus won’t read this – REQUEST SUCH ARTICLES FROM BERNIE BROWN – TELL US MORE ABOUT HALSE, MIZEN, THAIN, NEIL, ET AL. If you request it, he’ll probably do it. Why this hasn’t been thought of before is beyond me.

A RUN OF BAD LUCK? By Jeffrey Bloomfield. Bloomfield is 51 years old and apparently proud of the fact, since it’s mentioned twice in this piece. Maybe everyone in his family dies at 50, I don’t know. Or maybe he just read something by Wilf Gregg and feels like a kid again by comparison. But anyway, the article starts of very clunky and confusing, and eventually moves into telling the stories of two prostitutes murdered in London four years prior to the Jack Attack. This was actually pretty interesting, but would have been more effective at half the length, much like my reviews. It sucked up A LOT of pages and, aside from telling a good mystery, does little to shed light on our understanding of the Ripper crimes, investigators, or suspects. Again, a good article, but way too long.

DEAR BOSS: PUPPETS, PROSTITUTES and CHARLES FORT By Robert J. McLaughlin. This caught my attention because on pg. 65 it shows a photo of what appears to be Caz choking John Omlor; however, upon reading the blurb, I saw it was actually a woman holding a puppet of John Omlor that’s supposed to be Abberline. The article is about a play by Eric Woolfe, an alleged descendant of Montague John Druitt. One would think he’d claim J.K. Stephen as an ancestor since his name is Woolfe and Stephen has that whole ‘Virginia Woolfe’ thing going for him. But anyway, this play is remarkable for the fact that neither Frogg Moody nor Andy Aliffe is involved, which must be why it warrants SEVEN PAGES(!!!!!). The play sounds really cool, and I’m thinking that the article is heading for a sales pitch, to let us know where we can buy the video. Instead, it ends telling us they’ll probably never put it on again and we’ll never see it. So what’s the freaking point, you ask? Got me. Kinda bummed me out though. Seven pages. If I’m not gonna see it, wouldn’t a two-paragraph review have sufficed?

FROM THE NEWSPAPER MORGUE by Wolf Vanderlinden. I’m still waiting for this column to kick in with something good. This time around Wolf looks at articles from American papers about alleged Ripper letters received in the states. Okay, we know this happened. We know these letters are obvious hoaxes. Wolf has a great mind, so can’t we instead examine articles with some potential importance or relevance? Hell, pull some off the Casebook and put them under the microscope. Just cuz they’re publicly available doesn’t mean they’ve been seriously considered, or even read, by most peeps out there. This column is a great idea, but so far it’s gone nowhere.

RANDOM THOUGHT: Ripperologists coming onto the case between the years 1995 and 1999 took for granted that the phrases ‘Jack the Ripper’ and ‘introduction by Colin Wilson’ were synonymous.

THE INQUEST By Jennifer Pegg. The questions are actually pretty uninspired, if not downright lame, like ‘Has studying the Ripper case helped enhance your knowledge about the social conditions of Victorian England?’ Well, since about every book devotes some space to this topic, how could the answer be ‘No’? Now, if people WERE answering ‘No’, it would be very curious, and therefore an interesting peak into the collective minds of Ripperologists. But no one answered no. Then we get, ‘Would determining which of the Whitechapel Murders were committed by the same person help identify the Ripper?’ Uh, let me see. Hmmm…Duh. The one interesting question Pegg asks of her readers in this issue is, ‘Do you think that if Ripperologists spent more time working together and less time arguing that we would be nearer to knowing the killer’s identity?’ This evoked a series of disparate responses, from ‘Yes’ to ‘No’ to ‘Everyone should just agree with Tom Wescott and be done with it’. Okay, so the last one didn’t get published, but it’s a damn good idea just the same. Anyways, I’d like to see more interesting questions in this column, and more that are likely to evoke a range of responses. But NOT stuff about specific aspects of the case, like ‘Did the Ripper set the fire in Kelly’s Room’. That’ll just turn the column into a message board thread. Here, I’ll ask some of my own questions and do my own little Inquest:
1. Do you think these magazine threads should be exempt from Stephen Ryder’s ‘Behavior’ rules? It makes it harder to write an honest review, sometimes, which is why I haven’t written a review of the latest issue of Ripperana, hands down the gayest issue of a Ripper mag I’ve ever read.
2. Given the amount of discontent amongst the ‘old guard’ of Ripperology, is there any hope for ‘our’ generation?
3. Why do you think it is that Ripperology is able to cross the boundaries of nationality, but not race? In other words, although Ripperologists are from all countries and languages, virtually all of us are white. Why is that?
4. Should stupid people automatically be banned from the Casebook, just on principal, even if they’re not being offensive?
5. Would you miss Stan Russo if this happened?
6. Has anyone NOT been banned from jtrforums.co.uk yet?
7. If I someday go to a Ripper Con, how many bodyguards should I bring, or would Howard Brown be scary enough to keep you from kicking my ass?

Ugh, I feel more sympathetic towards Jennifer Pegg now. It’s tough coming up with good questions. And she’s welcome to use these if she’d like.

NEWS AND NOTES: Here we have stuff on the conference (www.ripperconference.com). I love how these are called ‘conferences’ and not conventions. This allows people to still live in the delusion that they’re not members of a serial killer’s fan club. Reading these News and Notes, it appears as though Norder is trying to lighten his tone by making more jokes. I’m gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that Norder wasn’t voted ‘class clown’ in high school.

RANDOM THOUGHT: Paul Begg titled his 1988 Ripper book ‘The Uncensored Facts’. His revised edition, last year, was simply titled ‘The Facts’. Does this mean it was censored?

UPCOMING PUBLICATIONS: There’s a ton of Ripper and Ripper-related books on the market or soon hitting it, and he mentions them here. Of course, every one but me has read them by this point. Like ‘Uncle Jack’, Trevor Marriott’s book (which, by the way, is even getting news coverage here in Tulsa, Oklahoma!), Chris Scott’s upcoming ‘Will the Real Mary Kelly…?’ which I’ve ordered and am also waiting for. Also out is a new book on Walter Dew by Nicholas Connell, a superb researcher. And for all those Samuel Montagu fans out there we have news of a new book by Chris George. Most interesting of all is the following blurb: ‘Thomas Wescott tells us he is working on a Jack the Ripper-themed book. He’s reluctant to give too many details, but again, based upon previous articles he’s authored, it’s a safe bet it has something to do with Roslyn Donston Stephenson.’ Gee, thanks Dan. I’m like on page 4 of the first draft of my book and already I’m getting press. Now I suppose I have to actually write the damned thing. I’ve already received some e-mails asking when my book’s coming out. The best answer I can give is that it will appear sometime between Tom Slemen’s and Whittington-Egan’s ‘Quest for JTR’…in other words, who the $@%# knows. But now that it’s out there, I expect all the mag’s to mention my upcoming book in each issue, like they do ‘Quest’. And as for details, I can tell you this…it won’t suck. This will be a book that every Ripperologist absolutely NEEDS to have on their bookshelf, and thus must buy. In fact, you should buy two, so you can keep one as a collector’s item and another for reading, as you will read it over and over. And purchasing a third as a gift would be a good idea too. I plan to donate five copies to Ripperana so all their readership, less fortunate than ourselves, can have a copy. And yes, D’Onston’s my preferred suspect, sans bloody ties.

REVIEWS: Yet more deserved raves over Alan Sharp’s ‘London Correspondence’. Wolf Vanderlinden, whose glass was apparently half-empty on the day he reviewed…and trashed…Chris Speare’s book ‘JTR: Crime Scene Investigation’, observes that ‘The Golden Age of Ripper publishing is now dead, or, if not dead, at least dying a slow painful death’. Gee, I can’t wait until THIS guy reviews my book. Better get to typing. He gives Trevor Marriott’s book a much better review. Dan Norder , the ‘Louis Armstrong’ of Ripperology, gives a good, though very belated, review to Jekyll and Hyde Dramatized by Martin A. Danahay and Alex Chisholm. I also loved this book. It wasn’t long enough, and if they did a sequel, I’d buy it. Norder also gives very positive reviews to the last two issues of Ripperologist, this despite the fact that Begg went totally ghetto on him in reviewing RN for the last Rip. Kudos to Norder for not letting the personal attack on him prevent him from seeing the merits the rest of the issues had to offer. He can’t review Ripperana because Nick Warren refuses to send him review copies, even though Norder sends Warren free copies of each issue of Ripper Notes for him NOT to read before reviewing. Norder should consider this a blessing. Trust me.

MY FUNNY LITTLE GAMES: A few word games and such. The literary equivalent of a Suzi Haney post. I think this is sophomoric and a waste of pages, but if everyone else loves it, speak up and I’ll shut up.

All in all, this issue wasn’t that great, but the day was saved by Vanderlinden’s Chapman piece which, as Howard Brown so rightfully noted, was well worth the price of the issue. Also the cover kicked ass, so it’ll look good on your shelf. My guess is that this was just a slump and Ripper Notes will be back next time attempting to hold on to its crown as the favorite (if not #1) Ripper mag currently on the market. But considering the contents of the upcoming Ripperologist issue, it’s got some serious competition. The gloves are off, folks. Don’t miss out. Subscribe now at www.rippernotes.com and www.ripperologist.info. If you think Ripperana is superior and would like to subscribe to it, www.imstupidandcantgetlaid.com is the site for you.
Again, I apologize for how lame this review is. It’s just been one of those weeks. Perhaps ‘Uncle Jack’ will cheer me up if it ever arrives. So, what were YOUR thoughts of this latest issue?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 5:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. Do you think these magazine threads should be exempt from Stephen Ryder’s ‘Behavior’ rules? It makes it harder to write an honest review, sometimes, which is why I haven’t written a review of the latest issue of Ripperana, hands down the gayest issue of a Ripper mag I’ve ever read. --NO--
2. Given the amount of discontent amongst the ‘old guard’ of Ripperology, is there any hope for ‘our’ generation? --YES--
3. Why do you think it is that Ripperology is able to cross the boundaries of nationality, but not race? In other words, although Ripperologists are from all countries and languages, virtually all of us are white. Why is that? --ITS A HONKO-COSSACK THANG---
4. Should stupid people automatically be banned from the Casebook, just on principal, even if they’re not being offensive? --Uhh...HUH ? Yousetalkintome?---
5. Would you miss Stan Russo if this happened? ---Stan IS missed and is as smeart or more smearter as Iyam---
6. Has anyone NOT been banned from jtrforums.co.uk yet? ---YES--
7. If I someday go to a Ripper Con, how many bodyguards should I bring, or would Howard Brown be scary enough to keep you from kicking my ass? ---No Need For Bodyguards..I Toss 'Em With Da Best...Your backside is safe...in that sense..heh heh heh.

Harry Mann
Detective Sergeant
Username: Harry

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 5:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Tom,
For an extra chuckle,I'll let you review my book when finished.
It starts with the Ripper as a lad.He started with animals.
He wanted to collect Mouse organs,so that he could join the Whitechapel band.

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 945
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 5:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

. Do you think these magazine threads should be exempt from Stephen Ryder’s ‘Behavior’ rules? It makes it harder to write an honest review.
** I say toss the rules all together. Restraint is for pansies. **

2. Given the amount of discontent amongst the ‘old guard’ of Ripperology, is there any hope for ‘our’ generation?

**If the old guard is not content, it's because their day has passed. It's hard to be obsolete. Bunch of old fuddy duddies. "Why in my day of Ripperology, we had to walk five miles in the snow to the li-berry, and hunch over a an old reel machine for five hours at a time to do any research!" Blah, blah, yada, yada, blah, blah. Of course, most of them could spell. **

3. Why do you think it is that Ripperology is able to cross the boundaries of nationality, but not race? In other words, although Ripperologists are from all countries and languages, virtually all of us are white. Why is that?

**If we don't care about millions of africans dying today in the world, why should they care about five dead white women from a hundred years ago? **

4. Should stupid people automatically be banned from the Casebook, just on principal, even if they’re not being offensive?

**Do I get to decide who's stupid? **

5. Would you miss Stan Russo if this happened?

** Gosh, that was mean. **

6. Has anyone NOT been banned from jtrforums.co.uk yet?

** I think there a few hangers-on hanging on. But give it time. It takes work to delete all those threads and people...Carpal tunnel may have set in. **

7. If I someday go to a Ripper Con, how many bodyguards should I bring, or would Howard Brown be scary enough to keep you from kicking my ass?

** Howard Brown's a girl. I could kick his ass and you are hiding behind him? **

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 9:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom

I like the way you shoot from the hip and do give equal time to the contents of the major Ripper magazines even if you are opinionated. Your reviews are always informative, interesting, and witty. Tom, also just keep talking about my book and your book, and the one by Tom Slemen and the one by Richard Whittington-Egan. wink One day we will all be in print and we will hold a wild and fancy publication party. dancing

All the best

Chris

P.S. I must have missed the photograph of Caz strangling John Omlor. Are you sure it wasn't a drawing of Richard Crashaw strangling Mike Barrett? O! Costly intercourse of Ripper diaries! grin
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
See "Jack--The Musical" by Christopher T. George and Erik Sitbon at The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend in Charlotte, North Carolina, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2456
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,
serial killer fan club?

you make us sound so bad!

Jenni
"Stay away from that trap door,
Cos' there's somethin' down there"

Jane Coram
Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 430
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom,

Wonderful review, you always make me laugh so much.

Thanks for pointing out I missed the broken windows..........no excuse.......banged to rights.........hee hee.

But thanks for liking the pic.......It looked a bit darker on my monitor and I didn't notice a lot of things that I am keeping quiet about and hoping that no-one notices!

Hi Dan,

I thought it was an excellent read, I got all snuggled up in bed and had a lovely time with it. Best article was definitely the Chapman one.

Hi Howie,

You're not scary, you're lovely, You can protect me anytime.

Hi Ally,

Loved your post, had me in stitches. Especially loved number 3 and 7! remind me never to upset you, if you can whip Howard!
hee hee,

Lots of Love

Jane

xxxxxxx

Kelly Robinson
Inspector
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 1:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom.
I didn't think this review was lame at all. Why the disclaimer? I laughed 'til I peed and I didn't get sick, not even once!
-K
"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 405
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 7:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not to forget the very good piece by Bernard Brown on Met Police Det. Sgt. J.C. Robinson,who was the policeman assaulted while wearing woman's clothing in Oct. '88. A highly decorated officer this John Robinson...almost losing an eye from that attack.

Very good article J.B.....very good. You've written a bit on the Yates murder before [ I believe here..] and I read a little about it before in my British Crime Encyclopedia because of your mentioning of it. Thanks for elaborating.

Mr.McKenna made me want to swear off beer. I never knew of the practice of spitting in ones beer in taprooms. Although IMHO,Joe Barnett didn't make a mistake in the identification of MJK, it was a nice piece. Thumbs up,Mr.McKenna...

...and finally since I'm speaking of thumbs...being the utilitarian "multi-tasking" type of person I am....I promise to kill two birds with one stone at the RipCon....

With my ironlike thumbs...right in the "best part" of Alan's speech...as he is beginning to elaborate on the crux of his message...with my two thumbs....I shall creep up behind you, Ally...grab the back of your undies and pull up...pulling upward and upward.....still upward...the Mother of All Wedgies...and hang your rear end on a coatrack.

At this point,you scream like the creampuff you really are...and force Alan to clam up. Two birds....one stone.

You'll hit High C... and me and Russo will get to hit the bar for an extra beer,while Sharpy and you have it out on the main floor.

Mark my words....or don't wear unmentionables in April '06.

Capt. Hook

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 7:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

Thanks for the kind words about the review. I'm honest to God shocked that it's even read by anyone other than the contributors/editors. I hope Dan Norder doesn't hate me now, cuz he's my bud, but I have to be honest or else what's the point, right? I was gonna review the new Ripperana, but it is just SO FREAKING BAD that it doesn't deserve it, so I'll have to disappoint Chris George in not alotting equal time to the mags. But in the latest issue they spell Goulston Street as 'Goulsdon' or 'Gouldson' street numerous times without ONCE spelling it correctly. And they confuse the American documentary 'Secret of JTR' with the Tom Baker narrated 'Diary of JTR'. They say Paul Feldman is now running a health spa, when he (obviously) doesn't even GO to a health spa, and numerous other stupid errors. The only worthwhile thing is a letter from Martin Fido that finally publicly names the guy whose spouse anonymously sent in all the Ripper stuff to Scotland Yard back in 1888.

RE: MCKENNA - I did NOT intentionally overlook McKenna's article in my review. I was very tired when writing it and just totally overlooked reviewing it. I didn't even realize I did that until I got an e-mail from Paul Begg chewing my ass for misrepresenting his review of Ripper Notes (I said he made a 'personal attack' on Dan Norder, and that was, in hindsight, clearly too strong a term. I just meant that his review was angry and a few barbs were thrown Dan's way). Now I'll probably get an e-mail from Begg chewing my ass for writing on here that he chewed my ass. Ha ha. His e-mail was actually very polite and I'm grateful he reminded me of the McKenna thing. So, without further ado, my review of McKenna's article:

MARY, MARY-QUITE CONTRARY! By Des McKenna. Des is old. He's an old guy. Not as old as Wilf Gregg, but old. I'm glad to see he's still alive. But this guy writes some doozies. Most of his articles in the past have ranged from frustratingly speculative to downright pointless, like his piece in Ripper Notes a long time ago where he puts forth the ludicrous idea that Roslyn D'Onston and Robert Donston Stephenson are two different people. He has a particular obsession with Kelly, and used to contribute A LOT to Ripperologist before Paul Begg took over and, apparently, told him to hit the bricks. Now, THIS article is a step way above the others. He states that the body on Kelly's bed had a bad throat and couldn't have done all the singing she was reported to have done. His source is a doctor friend of his. It's worth looking into, but I still say that there has never, ever been a solid reason for assuming that body on the bed was anyone other than Mary Kelly. Having said that, his observation is a brand new one, and very valid for that reason alone. I'd be curious to hear from more experts on this point.

Ally,

Being told by you that something I said was mean is like being told by Radka that I don't get out enough.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

AIP
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 1:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 'old guard' of Ripperology have had their day - bring on the new. New minds with new ideas. They are now appearing Stan Russo, How Brown, Chris Miles, Tony Williams, David Radka, Trevor Marriott, Chris Scott, Scott Nelson, Rob House. With men like these on the case it will soon be solved.

Robert J. McLaughlin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 8:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

"Seven pages. If I’m not gonna see it, wouldn’t a two-paragraph review have sufficed?"

And some people might wonder why you write a seven page review of a magazine issue where a couple paragraphs would suffice :-)

Take care,

Robert

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 360
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 4:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I imagine some people do. What's more staggering is that anybody READS my seven pages of drivel. Actually, the story behind it is simple. Years ago I started doing reviews of the mags to help hype them, because I enjoyed them and thought other Ripper enthusiasts would benefit from them as well. It occurred to me from reading posts that people assumed they'd be about 5 stapled pages of typewritten copy and, thus, not worth the money. No discussion was occurring on here. So, I started doing the reviews. At first they were kinda Howard Brown style, you know. "This is great!", "Wow, what an awesome piece!", "Gee, I like EVERYTHING in here", because that's how reviews are generally done. Then, I stopped doing reviews altogether due to computer problems. Once I was back online I got like three emails and there were a few posts on here from peeps saying they dug 'em. So, I started writing reviews again, only with more of a 'lampoon' style, which is what I use. I'm NOT ragging or dissing peeps, just kinda 'roasting' an area of study that tends to take itself either too seriously or not seriously enough. Some people can take a good ribbing, like Paul Begg. Others can't (Boy howdy, you should hear some of the stuff I get called). But the reviews themselves are 100% honest. If I like it, I say so, if I don't, I say so, but try to be fair. I can like an article about the Diary, for instance, even if I think the Diary itself is a bunch of twaddle. Anyway, the whole point all along is to spark conversation and debate about the contents of the mags and, in the process, draw new subscribers to them. And trust me, it's worked.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Your writing was fine, by the way. And the article did its job in interesting me in the play, which was the whole reason I was bummed that it didn't end with a source to buy the video. So that's a clear compliment to the author. I just didn't think that a play we'd never see warranted 7 pages, but then again I'm not a Ripper mag editor.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 407
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 4:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear AIP...

I don't know about that second guy,but thats a good lineup..Toss in Wescott ....Neil Bell,Dave Knott,Steve Ryder,and a whole lot more...Adam Went,Tyler Hebblewhite,Antonio Sironi,Spiro Dimolianis and everyone else I forgot...Jeff Bloomfield and Tim Mosley [ they ain't that old..]...

Which brings me to the ladies...Nina Thomas, Kelly Robinson,Amanda Howard,Jennifer Pegg,Caz Morris, and of course..JaneCoram. Even the soon-to-be-wedged Ally has something positive to offer....once in a great while. Diana Comer,Natalie Severn..the list goes on.

Putting my name up there was an honor,AIP. I thank you for that consideration.

How

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 946
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 7:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How,

Considering the types of underwear that women have been wearing for decades now, a wedgie is hardly a threat that works.

Cheers,

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 9:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ally

Aw, come on, Ally, we all know, it's the same old thong. wink

Chris

Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 408
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally....You talk the talk...but can you handle a wedgie wearing the dental floss that so many ladies wear? I know not. Allow me to acquaint you, rather brusquely I'll admit, with your pancreas !

Your ass is mine [ in a wedging that may even be filmed...you never know...]

The Wedgie That Ate Reiny's Hiney [ 4 minutes, rated X ]

Directed By Howard Brown
Camera { ASCAP } by Christopher George
Sound by Thomas Islington Wescott
Closed Captioning by Russo Inc.
A Payback Production@

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 361
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 1:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

I have no problem believing that an X-rated film starring yourself would last only four minutes. I suppose I missed out on the Ally 'soon to be wedged' joke. I take it there's a story behind it? In any case, I'd like to play the Wedgie.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. And where the hell did you get Islington for my middle name? It's 'C.'.

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 410
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 8:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom...

While you were busy with the latest review,I adopted you and in an Pygmalion-sort of way,wanna get you up to snuff with some civilizin'. 'Cause I am whatchamacallit...civilized. Islington sounds so much more je nais sa qua than Cleon...wouldn't you agree...Izzy?

Yes,you are correct sir. Any film involving me would be a bomb and in the boudoir,I bomb. Like a stuka over Sallisaw ....I could be charged with assault with a dead weapon

But,yes,A.R.'s arse is mine. I'm gonna hang 'em high in the smokehouse that will be the Ripcon...while she squeals for help....a helpless and vocal pinyata with all those to playfully smack at. You'll dig it the most.

The reason I mention you as the potential "sound" man,is that you make a lotta noise and well...it just makes sense. Its good noise,don't get me wrong,homes....

.... All in jest,Tom

The Wise Ass

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 363
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 5:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

You're out of your damn-blasted mind. And 'Cleon' is worse than Islington! My actual middle name is 'Colwell', as in Mrs. Colwell of Brady Street "I heard a woman running and screaming" fame. An ancestor?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3246
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 9:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The cover art, table of contents and sample article from the April 2005 issue of Ripper Notes is now available at:

http://casebook.org/ripper_media/book_reviews/periodicals/rippernotes.2005_apr.html

Dan was kind enough to include Wolf's article on Annie Chapman as this issue's sample, so enjoy!
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.