Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through February 24, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Ripperologist » Ripperologist issue 57: January 2005 » Archive through February 24, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ripperologist magazine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jan05 cover

It’s Ripperologist time again! Issue 57 will be rolling off the presses within a few days and will be delivered to subscribers round the world within a couple of weeks.

Are you in this happy number?

Be warned that Ripperologist’s forthcoming issue is packed full with essays, information, reviews and everything related to the most enigmatic night creature of them all, his life and his heinous crimes.

For starters, Ripperologist goes to America where Joe Chetcuti treats us all to an account of Ripper suspect Francis Tumblety’s infamous activities during the Civil War years.

North American Editor Chris George looks at that ole black magic as performed by Roslyn D’Onston and the lesser known Arthur Diosy. Executive Editor Paul Begg, who is very well represented in this issue, sets the record straight regarding latest developments in the prolonged saga of the Maybrick Watch.

Armed with stopwatch, ruler and chalk, Howard Brown and team adopt a scientific approach to the Goulston Street graffito. Map in hand, Bernard Brown investigates an elusive Square hiding in plain sight in the streets of the East End.

Coral Kelly will lead you on a virtual tour of Brick Lane, conjuring up a history spanning brick and tile manufacturing in the Middle Ages, beer brewing in the 17th century and wave after wave of immigrants, the Huguenots succeeded by Eastern European Jews and the Jews by Bengalis.

Even the short articles are substantial: you get Jan Bondeson on Nikaner Benelius, Paul Begg on Annie Chapman’s beer and Catherine Eddowes’s apron, Coral Kelly on the Ghost Club, Eduardo Zinna on a new Elizabeth Stride documentary and the Ripperologist team celebrating the Casebook’s Stephen Ryder’s nabbing of elusive ‘Squibby’, the bane of the East End policeman. You also get – if you are at present or intend to become in the very, very near future a subscriber – Chris Scott’s celebrated Press Trawl, Wilf Gregg’s informative Crimebeat, Glenn’s Clouseauesque Abberline Jr, letters, comments, reviews, pictures and news reports.

And for dessert Ripperologist offers The Last Word by Christopher-Michael DiGrazia.

Who could ask for anything more? Get out your cash, your chequebooks or your wampums and visit www.ripperologist.info to subscribe online or contact Coral Kelly, our Subscriptions Manager, at coralkelly52@hotmail.com. A subscription for one year or six issues will cost you £ 24, € 36 or $ 60.

We suggest you do it now, before the crowd starts.

Ripperologist magazine
www.ripperologist.info

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Executive Editor Paul Begg, who is very well represented in this issue, sets the record straight regarding latest developments in the prolonged saga of the Maybrick Watch. "

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE

Sir Robert
"I only thought I knew"
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 638
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sir Robert

Something tells me you won't be disappointed. Paul Begg's "take" on the Watch Reports has a lot in common with yours - as you could guess from the summary he gives in his "definitive" book, which you've already quoted.

As he's an "expert", commenting on reports by "experts", that makes his opinion "expert squared", which means there's obviously no arguing with it. (A bit like "What I tell you three times is true"?)

Chris Phillips

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 290
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

The new issue looks great...and it SOUNDS great too. I very much look forward to reading it. Hopefully soon!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Something tells me you won't be disappointed. Paul Begg's "take" on the Watch Reports has a lot in common with yours - as you could guess from the summary he gives in his "definitive" book, which you've already quoted. "

Actually, I quoted from "The Facts", as opposed to "The Definitive". I don't think it's a particularly outlandish point of view; I believe more would agree with it if the debate was not so centered on the absurdity of Maybrick as the Ripper.

See ya back in Diary World.

Sir Robert
"I only thought I knew"
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 639
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 2:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry - you did say "The Facts", though the text of "Definitive" is identical.

But you're right, this isn't the place to discuss it.

Chris Phillips

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 3:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A bit like "What I tell you three times is true"?

Well, they say you have to write something around five times before it really sinks in, so I wouldn't say three times was excessive, especially if what you are saying is true.

The watch is a typical Victorian gentleman's dress pocket watch.

(Not that it would make a blind bit of difference if it had been a lady's watch, of course. But facts is facts. And if researchers who can't be bothered to check this one out for themselves keep trying to argue that it wasn't made for a gentleman, how can we trust them when it comes to far more complex and important matters?)

Chris Phillips will be well aware that there is one writer in Diary World who says everything a million times, and still worries that his message is not sinking in. But Chris picks on Paul Begg. Fascinating.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new Rip muchly.

Love,

Caz
X

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 640
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 3:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

facts is facts

And there's clearly no point in arguing with people who can't tell the difference between opinions and facts (which is kind of what I was trying to say).

Chris Phillips

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 641
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 4:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS If Mrs Morris's comment about lazy researchers is aimed at Paul Begg, I do think it's a bit unfair.

He says only that it is "Reportedly a ladies [sic] watch", and only mentions as a "possibility" that it "would have belonged to Florence".

Chris Phillips

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 5:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Someone mention maybrick damn they should have known better.

The Rip is coming!!!

Anyway,
Jenni
"What d'you think about that? Now you know how I feel"

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Mrs Morris's comment about lazy researchers was obviously not aimed at Paul Begg then, was it?

If Paul 'says only that it is "Reportedly a ladies [sic] watch", and only mentions as a "possibility" that it "would have belonged to Florence"', then Paul doesn't keep trying to argue that it wasn't made for a gentleman, does he?

If you can't even be bothered to read what I actually wrote, and see if it applies to what Paul actually wrote (it doesn't), how can anyone be sure you have interpreted the wording of the watch reports correctly?

This is very basic English usage here.

Love,

Caz
X

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 642
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mrs Morris

If you can't even be bothered to read what I actually wrote, and see if it applies to what Paul actually wrote

What a bizarre thing to say! I was pointing out to you precisely that it didn't apply.

Anyhow, I'm pleased to hear that you weren't trying to suggest Paul Begg was at fault. (To be fair, in the past you've made this particular accusation against other people who weren't arguing it was a man's watch - for example against me - so you'll appreciate why I might have thought as I did.)

However, I'd suggest that any further musing on the subject would be best taken to a Maybrick thread, where it's easier for people to avoid.

In retrospect I'm sorry I provoked this little flurry of nonsense by posting what I did.

Chris Phillips

(Message edited by cgp100 on January 22, 2005)

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 238
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 7:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

*Ouch!*

I hope you never have the need to call me Mrs Millar, 'cos I'm Ms Millar (Mill-ar) and I'm definitely a Ms.

I still think the Diary was a hoax (and not even a clever one) and the watch even moreso.

Bestest,

Lyn

(I have to go and make my dinner)
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 4:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bizarre is the word for it, Chris!

I was pointing out to you precisely that it didn't apply.

So why did you say that if my comment was aimed at Paul Begg it was a bit unfair, when you already knew it couldn't have been aimed at him because you and I both knew it didn't apply?

Of course, you weren't just trying to cause pointless trouble for the sake of it, were you?

Hi Lyn,

I never mind what people call me. I just find it amusing that my original reason for calling myself Caz here was that people wouldn't have to go to so much trouble, typing three letters rather than eight or more. No one outside ripper and diary world calls me Caz.

Ironically, the people who display the most disquiet over my questions to them about their modern hoax claims actually take by far the most trouble typing different versions of my name. I should worry.

Love,

Caz
X

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 646
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 5:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mrs Morris

I'd guess most readers of these boards would like games of Maybrick ping-pong confined to the Maybrick boards, so that they can choose whether to be spectators.

If you do ever feel the need to explain what on earth you were going on about - if you weren't referring to Paul Begg - please do it in a more suitable place.

Chris Phillips

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 7:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz, Chris,
guys,
I totally don't know whats going on.

i mean i would have a thought the Rip thread was as good a place as any to discuss the views of Paul begg when this months Rip has an article about the watch in it. BUT only after reading it!

Jenni
"What d'you think about that? Now you know how I feel"

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3960
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 7:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could I ask Chris George whether the Rip has a review of Leighton's book on Druitt?

Robert

Eduardo Zinna
Detective Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 9:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

The Rip does have a review of Leighton's book on Druitt. I have just confirmed it to Chris who is away from his home and has no ready access to the information.

All the best,
Eduardo
Eduardo Zinna

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3962
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 9:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Eduardo. One more reason for me to look forward to the latest edition.

Robert

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 291
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 8:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

Poor Begg is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't where the Diary's concerned. Ha ha. I'm glad I'm not a Ripper mag editor. He's already getting raked over the coals for an article no one's read yet! If he ignores the books and developments, he'd be attacked for bias. If he reports on them, he's running a pro-Diary propagandist rag. Ripperologist has it's faults, 99% of which I haven't been shy to note. But one man can't be both a biased anti-Diaryist AND an editor of a pro-Diary propaganda rag...can he? I hope his article, and other pieces in the issue, DO stir up controversy and discussion. That's what these threads are for.

Caz,

That's interesting about your name. I always imagined Caz was a longtime nickname of yours.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 648
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 3:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He's already getting raked over the coals for an article no one's read yet!

Well, hardly - I just made a mildly sarcastic comment about people's touching faith in experts - half directed at the author and half at his readers. And apparently Mrs Morris wasn't referring to him at all.

Chris Phillips

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 7:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well said Tom.

But Chris P, you thought I was referring to Paul, and evidently still suspect I was, even though Paul clearly doesn't 'keep arguing that the watch is not a gentleman's watch'.

Perhaps you should go back and read your first post here, since you are doing your best to blame everyone else for responding to it.

Love,

Caz
X

ARR
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 4:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"The first 64 pages [of the diary] had been removed." - Paul Begg, The Facts, 2004, p. 414.

"Two reputable and respected examiners have concluded that the scratches are old..." - Paul Begg, The Facts, page 415.

"We are possibly looking at an old forgery, a con that was created but never used, and the task is not merely to authenticate the document, or otherwise, but to date as closely as possible its creation." - Paul Begg, The Facts, page 417.

"I keep telling you that nobody is advocating an old forgery. I told you this a year ago. I told you when you returned to the Boards recently. What do I have to say or do to make you understand this? And if somebody here is arguing that the 'diary' is not a modern forgery, why don't you direct your arguments to that person instead of me?" - Paul Begg, Casebook message boards, April 6, 2001.

D. Radka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz,
I thought the nickname Caz was supposed to refer to a swarthy appearance. I could never imagine why you were given that nick, since you don't have such an appearance.

David

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 5:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's here!
Jenni

ps am reading it as we speak

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4056
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 9:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Overall, they give Leighton's book a thumbs up, although, from the review, it seems that the book doesn't make much progress re Druitt's candidacy for being the Ripper.

Robert

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3215
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 7:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The cover art, table of contents and sample article ("Off the Wall", by Howard Brown) from Ripperologist #57 can now be found on the Casebook at:

http://casebook.org/ripper_media/book_reviews/periodicals/ripperologist.2005-01.html

Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 7:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen et al.

Many thanks, Stephen.

To all subscribers who have received the issue, all your comments, good or bad, are always gratefully received. Grin. grin

Where is Tom Wescott with his rundown of the contents of the issue? Tom! Oh, Tom! We at Ripperologist always appreciate your penetrating play-by-play commentary. Ah, I see! You're still reading the issue. That's good!!!!

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 255
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 9:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Chris...

I've been waiting for Tom myself...I'll just say that that was a very good story on Diosy you wrote and Mr. Zinna's story opens up some possibilities for future Ripper related films,to our benefit.

One of the major bones of contention regarding Ripper-themed films is the inevitable Royals-conspiracy being the motive for the crimes. Regardless of whether anyone believes in this theory, thats the source of most criticism of this genre..We wait for nearly two hours just to see Dr.Gull on his last vial of crack,babbling and losing control [finally] before he is jettisoned off to Colney Hatch...

These Swedish "kids" have added a new dimension to at least one of the victims in their portrayal of Long Liz and they should be supported as much as possible.

Imagine if a scriptwriter or two with a substantial knowledge of the details in the Case collaborated with them to make something along the lines of what the American documentarian Ken Burns has done with jazz,baseball,and the Civil War....A film based on the day-by-day activities of PC "John Doe"...a series on Tumblety...D'onston...Kosminski...Kelly. Maybe even a episodal series [ in 6 parts ] focusing on the life of a fabricated East End family. The possibilities are there.

These youngsters aren't catering to the kroner or dollar or pound. These talented twenty year olds could possibly create a documentary in which we could SEE some of the events of the case come to life. I think its in Ripperology's best interest to support,contact,and encourage them to consider something along these lines...

Thanks to Mr.Zinna for writing this very valuable piece on these Swedish kids.

Likewise,thanks to Stephen for his generous placation of my story in the archives. Its much appreciated and a very nice gesture.

I just knew my past shenanigans with urban defacement would come in handy somehow !

How

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 9:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard

Thanks for your kind words about our current issue, singling out my Diosy piece, our continued articles by Swedish contributors illuminating Liz Stride's early years in Sweden, and Eduardo's piece on the Ripper in film. I suspect Arthur Diosy was a bit player in the Ripper case, but who knows? I think Harris unjustifiably perhaps put Diosy in a subsidiary role compared to D'Onston, whom he was promoting as a suspect. However, it is curious that Diosy and D'Onston appear to have both suggested the black magic motive to the police at almost the same time in mid-October 1888, so I think Diosy does merit further investigation. Howard, I did also enjoy your investigation of the Goulston Street Graffito, in your experiment to test the mechanics involved in actually writing on a brick wall, albeit one with paint coverin the brickwork.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 256
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 9:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rats ! Now I suppose you'll drop a dime on me !?

..and yes,this Diosy does deserve some more investigation. It wouldn't hurt...

I now take it on the lam....

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4140
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 3:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To judge from their photos, it's looking increasingly likely that Paul Begg, Chris George, Howard Brown and Dan Norder are all, in fact, one and the same person.

Robert

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 5:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert

Actually it's not true that Paul, I, Howard, and Dan are all the same person, we only look that way. grin It amazes me that no one has yet commented that this issue of Ripperologist is the Great Moustaches issue, considering the wonderful upper lip achievements pictured in the January issue of Francis Tumblety, Roslyn D'Onston, Lafcadio Hearn, and Sir Arthur Diosy (pictured below).

All my best

Chris

Arthur Diosy

Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert...
Actually I am a little miffed at being compared to these three gents !
It has taken me 51 years to achieve the level of coyote ugliness I believe I've reached. Those three are pretty boys...so take that back !

You're right C.G. I didn't think of it,but that Hungarian Diosy [ even our women have moustaches...] has a super 'stache...

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this only serves to confirm - i'll never make it without a tache and a beard would be better!!

Cheers
Jenni
"We're so incredibly, utterly devious, Making the most of everything."

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4143
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard, apologies for comparing you to hairy matinee idols Chris George, Paul Begg, Dan Norder and now, apparently, Jenni Pegg.

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1975
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 1:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is that what i said?

Jenni
"Pick up the pieces and make them into something new, Is what we do!"

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,
Glad you brought it up. My only Ripperologist complaint: the author photos have been taken too closely! Nobody looks good if you peer up into their nostrils.
-K
"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4162
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 4:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kelly, that's why no one likes dentists.

Robert (with help from Pam Ayres)

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 317
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert writes: 'To judge from their photos, it's looking increasingly likely that Paul Begg, Chris George, Howard Brown and Dan Norder are all, in fact, one and the same person.'

That's because all white people look the same.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 2:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

REVIEW - #57, January 2005 (even though I didn't receive my copy until February since I'm apparently the last freaking guy they send it to, and then they b*tch cuz I haven't written a review yet! Word to all you stache-meisters!)

I'll start this review off by saying that this is the best issue Begg & the Gang have put out in quite a long while. And I mean a long while. The cover has a picture of an old guy with a big stache chillin' on his beak who Robert Charles Linford, through much painstaking research, has identified as HAVING TO BE one of the following white people: Paul Begg, Chris George, Gene Shallet, Howard Brown, Janet Reno, Francis Tumblety, or Dan Norder. I'm not saying which one my money's on. The cover also mentions D'Onston, but misspells his name as 'Donston'. Yes, I know that's how his MIDDLE name is spelled, but once he took it on as a surname, it became 'D'Onston'. Boo-ya! How ya like me now! Next thing you know they'll be changing PC Alfred Long's name to Albert! Hmmm...
Moving inside, we have our 'Quote of the Month' which I could have sworn I just read recently in Ripper Notes. And can a bi-monthly magazine really have a quote of the MONTH? Wouldn't it be more like 'Quote of Every Other Month'? Unless you put two quotes in each issue, of course. Something to think about.

EDITORIAL: It's a very short editorial, and this one was definitely written by Paul Begg; you can tell because, in only four short paragraphs he manages to work in that 'Heraclitus was a Greek philosopher of the late 16th century BC', and only Begg would think of doing something like that. No doubt the brevity of his editorial - thus lending to my continuing lack of knowledge of Heraclitus - is due to the fact that this issue is jam-packed with features and juicy tidbits, or tit-bits as it's sometimes written, which is kinda naughty.

THE PRICE OF FALSE FREEDOM: DR TUMBLETY AND THE AMERICAN CIVIL WAR, by Joe Chetcuti, who I've never heard of - Let me start out by saying that I've never heard of this guy, but he doesn't have a mustache and his article kicks butt, so it's all good. It's kinda strange, though, seeing 'AMERICAN Civil War', because here in the states we just call it the Civil War. I wasn't aware that there were other countries out there stupid enough to fight themselves. Oh well, back to the article by Joe "who the hell am I!" Chetcuti... According to the brief bio, Joe spends much of his time researching Tumblety, and here he presents new documention showing Tumblety to have forged papers for some soldiers so they could pass themselves off as 'discharged' and go home to their honeys, who probably then ditched them for being sniveling cowards. Chetcuti, whose existence prior to this article was not known to me, has done some serious digging here, and even offers information on the specific individuals who Tumblety helped to flee. I really thought this was a great piece of research. Even if you don't think there's a Begg's chance in Ripperana that Tumblety was the Ripper, you have to admit he's one of the weirdest and most fun characters of the Victorian era, and new info on him is always welcome. My elastic headband is off to Mr. Joe "I don't believe we've met before" Chetcuti. I hope he keeps coming around.

DIOSY AND D'ONSTON: BLACK MAGIC AND JACK THE RIPPER, by Dom DeLuise - Oh, wait...I was going by the picture. The article was actually written by Ripperologist North American Editor, Christopher T. George. What's with this pic, anyway? It's blurry and looks like it was taken with one of those cell phone cams. Who took the picture, Abraham Zapruder? Next to myself, and, of course, Howard Brown, George is the most handsome man in Ripperology, so this is inexcuseable. Anyway, I guess I'm suppose to be reviewing the article, but I'm putting that off, because it really wasn't all that good. And I hate saying that, cuz George is the man. But there's nothing new here. D'Onston shouldn't even be a part of it, cuz the piece is really about Diosy. The article starts of clunky by stating that the infamous Pall Mall Gazette article of Dec. 1, 1888, by 'One Who Thinks He Knows' is "usually thought to have been [written by] Ripper suspect Roslyn D'Onston Stephenson". There's about 100 reasons to think it was, and George points out only one of the weakest! I think we can accept it as fact that D'Onston did, in fact, write this article. I suppose that those who perhaps don't follow the case against D'Onston as closely as I do may have gotten something out of the article, but I was a bit disappointed. It was too short and didn't really expand my knowledge of Diosy or D'Onston, or of anyone else with a funky French name starting with 'D'. I hope George returns with a more thorough piece along this line, because we all know you've got skills, Chris!

EDDOWES'S APRON, by Paul Begg - A very well-written speculative piece regarding the bloodstains on Eddowes's apron piece and how it proves, to Begg's mind, that the Ripper must have deposited the piece in Goulston directly en route from Mitre Square. The graffiti is also examined in detail, and was a refreshing read for someone such as myself who finds the Mitre Square murder/Goulston Street wrting a particularly fascinating aspect of the case. Given that Begg is one of the world's foremost authorities on the Ripper case, anything he puts forth in sincerity should not be dismissed out of hand, and there's much in this article that deserves serious consideration. Having said that, I don't agree with most of his conclusions, and am personally of the opinion that some of these conclusions are influenced by takes on the facts that may not be the most likely interpretations. But here is not the place to go into that. I am curious to know what other readers think of his conclusions here.

OFF THE WALL, by Howard Brown - Like most of you, I figured this would just be a fluff piece; an excuse for Ripperologist to exploit Brown's breathtaking beauty and stunning physique. My mind flashed back to their shameless publication of the Janet 'the Nippler' Jackson photo and the vemonous feminazi wrath it evoked from my long-time admirer, Ally Reinecke. And then here's this piece by Brown, with not one, not two, but THREE mouthwatering captures of his sensuous visage. Could anyone who looks THIS GOOD possibly have something worthwhile to say? The answer, amazingly enough, is YES! Of course, my eyes kept wandering back to the photos, and I had to hold a knapkin to my mouth to stop the salivating, but once I was able to concentrate I found that Brown had contributed what may be the most singularly enjoyable pieces in the whole issue. This article is the result of his field research into the Goulston Street graffiti, whereupon he took chalk to wall and reached many fascinating and, indeed, worthwhile conclusions. Obviously the editors were so distracted by the photos during their proofreading that they failed to note Brown had changed Alfred Long's name to Albert (see! what did I tell you!), and changed Daniel Halse's rank from Detective-constable to just plain old 'Detective'. He was also one word off in his transcription of the graffiti, but now I'm just being anal. Although I disagree with his hypothesis that the graffiti was written by an avid Eric Clapton fan, Brown's original research sheds new light on this most controversial of mysteries and should be read by all and sundry. And not just for the damn photos.

THE RIPPER MURDER IN GREAT EASTERN SQUARE, by Bernard Brown - Bernard Brown - who much to his chagrin does not share the same sparkling clean gene pool as Howard Brown - has been quite the Ripper mag whore as of late, publishing in consecutive issues of Ripperana, Ripper Notes, and Ripperologist. All great stuff too! Here he gives us an excellent piece on Buck's Row. Did you know that if Polly had been killed just on the other side of the road we might not be calling it the 'Buck's Row murder' now? Nope, didn't think you did. But Bernie's here to tell you so! Great stuff. Nice pic, too. He looks like Mr. Belvedere and he's wearing one of those smiles you get when you let a silent killer and then leave the room to let everyone blame each other.

THE OTHER LANE, by Coral Kelly - The token 'article by a chick' for this issue. And they couldn't have picked a better chick than the beautiful and talented Coral Kelly. I raved about her all-too short Petticoat Lane article in a recent issue, and here she follows it up with a stroll down Brick Lane. You feel like you're there. I'd love to see more features like this about Goulston Street, Mitre Square, Berner Street, et al. I'm telling you, this issue kicks azz!

MORE ABOUT THE SUSPECT BENELIUS, by Jan Bondeson - Even though he's named after one of the Brady girls, Jan is actually a guy. And a helluva writer. Here he gives us new info on Nikaner Benelius, who should require no introduction to anyone reading posts on this site. This issue is full of the kind of stuff we subscribe to Ripper mags for - original research on people related to the case and soundly made fresh observations on topics pertinent to the investigation. Bondeson is the author of the acclaimed book, 'The London Monster', and I always look forward to his contributions. Breaking tradition, his photo is a profile, apparently taken with Chris George's cell phone cam. He looks like he just smelled Bernie Brown's natural gas.

WAS ANNIE CHAPMAN DRUNK WHEN SHE LEFT HER LODGINGS?, by Paul Begg - Christ on a bike! If you're going to pad the mag with your own articles, at least change up the photos! This is the third time we've seen the same image of his hairy, smiling, grill. It's like subliminal messaging or something. We'll be seeing him in our dreams soon. I think Nick Warren already does, but that's better saved for a Ripperana review. As for this article, it's great. It's also necessary for anyone who owns his book 'The Facts', but doesn't own the latest issue of Ripper Notes (where, inexplicably, Begg publishes what basically amounts to this same article, but in 'letter to the editor' form), and wonders exactly how Begg came to the conclusion that Chapman WAS drunk on the morning of her murder, despite the medical evidence to the contrary. This is what I was talking about when I mentioned fresh takes on the investigation. I have to agree that Begg is probably dead on in his conclusion here. An important article from an important author.

PRESS TRAWL, by Chris Scott - Probably the most critically-acclaimed regular feature of ANY of the Ripper mags, Chris returns with more press clippings never before seen by any of us. Here we have a long obituary of MJ Druitt's dad, including a full bibliography; a sensational report from 1887 of a man who may very well be our John Pizer attacking another man with a knife (!!!) and other great stuff that is sure to turn up in the notes section of the next Paul Begg book.

I BEG TO REPORT: STEPHEN RYDER NABS 'SQUIBBY'- No, Spryder didn't cheat on Ally with the little guy from 'Laverne and Shirley'(his name was 'SQUIGGY', folks!). This is about the comical ruffian 'Squibby' who we're all familiar with mainly from Walter Dew's memoir 'I Caught Crippen', which might have been called 'I Caught Squibby' had the Squibster thought to knock off a few prostitutes before getting buckled. Spryder has discovered an article that finally puts a true identity to this interesting peripheral character. Will this help solve the case? No. But neither would a photo of Annie Chapman in life, yet we were all stroking Neal Shelden for months over that find. This latest discovery is further proof that through the diligent researches of pros such as Chris Scott and Stephen Spryder, there is much, much more to be found out there. (NOTE: Word on the street is that Dr. John Pope-de-Locksley will soon be announcing his descendancy from Squibby).

THE MAYBRICK WATCH, by Paul Begg - Blah, blah, blah...watch reports...blah, blah blah...tens of years...blah, blah, blah...Jon Omlor and Caz sittin' in a tree...blah, blah, blah...same photo of Begg four times in a row...must buy paperback of 'Definitive History'...must buy paperback of 'Definitive History'...must buy...

JACK THE RIPPER'S SWEDISH VICTIM, by Eduardo Zinna - This is too cool. Daniel Olsson, who wrote that killer bio of Liz Stride for Rip #52 has made a documentary on her life that actually takes us INSIDE THE HOUSE where she grew up, and along the streets of her hometown where she walked. Even better, it'll come in an English version as well as Swedish, so we won't have to sit through 2 hours of an annoying accent! This is a groundbreaking project, and Daniel and his associates are to be congratulated. I've no doubt this will be a hot item once it comes out.

THE GHOST CLUB: A DAY WITH JACK - THE PARANORMAL ASPECTS OF THE JACK THE RIPPER CASE, by Coral Kelly - A short piece detailing the highlights of the recent Ghost Club conference. For more details see my review of Jennifer Pegg's coverage in the last issue of Ripper Notes. For some reason a photo of Paul Feldman doing a Bela Lugosi impersonation at the first ever Cloak and Dagger meeting (a club totally unafiliated with the Ghost Club)is at the bottom of the article, along with a pic of Duncan Field, Anne Graham, and a totally self-involved Andy Aliffe.

I BEG TO REPORT - All the latest news and gossip on the Ripper front, which you'll have to buy the issue to read. Nothing groundbreaking, except a very cute mention for the 100th time that I lost a bid on Patristic Gospels. I love it! Oh yeah, and Richard Whittington-Egan's 'The Quest for JTR' is still definitely coming out. Uh-huh. I'm starting to think we'll see another Hunter S. Thompson book before we see this one. I hope I'm wrong, though, because WE is one of the best living writers. Period.

LETTERS AND COMMENTS - The best letters section of any magazine I've ever read! It starts off weak with a letter from Natalie Severn, who fails to mention me. It gets better quick, though, as it's followed by a letter from David Knott who DOES mention me, and this is followed by a reply WRITTEN BY ME! Then another article by Suzi Hanney who also fails to mention me (what's with these chicks? Okay, so I'm no Howard Brown, but DAMN!). Stephen Ryder pipes in and gives me kudos for my D'Onston piece in the last ish. Then there's a letter by ME (actually a condension of my review of the last ish), where Begg pimps my review. How often does a mag advertise where reviews of their mag can be read? Pretty cool. David O'Flaherty appears next, also mentioning ME. Rip shows some balls by next publishing some comments from readers who refuse to use their real names, but say they like Ripper Notes better than Ripperologist. Paul then responds moaning (would you like some cheese to go with that whine?)about how he just can't win and nobody gets paid to publish Ripper mags, which is news to us Yanks who pay like $60 a year for just HIS! He also disputes the claim that Ripper Notes publishes more Ripper-related articles than Ripperologist. That's like disputing the claim that 'Animal House' is funnier than 'Passion of the Christ'. It can't be disputed. This issue aside, Ripper Notes DOES print more Ripper stuff. Maybe that's changing. You know what's coming up in future issues. We don't. Give us time to catch up with you before you dispute documented fact. The letters section ends with a very astute reader pointing out that Ripperologist is basically a pro-D'Onston propagandist rag and calling my D'Onston piece 'drivel' - a word which in many cultures means "Pulitzer Prize quality prose".

ON THE CRIMEBEAT, by Wilff Gregg - Judging from his photo, Wilff was definitely the guy who got the blame for Bernie Brown's fart. Poor little fella. He was so thrown off by the accusation that he ended up reviewing a book on boxing (???) for a true crime column. I guess I should give the guy a break since he's 113 years old and has Jan Bondeson thinking he ripped a wet one when he didn't. But still, a book on boxing? Strange.

REVIEWS - Gotta love these snazzy names they come up with for their sections. 'REVIEWS'. Kinda has a ring to it. Watch, I'll bet it catches on. Ha ha. Here we get a relatively favorable review of DJ Leighton's book 'Montague Druitt: Portrait of a Contender', which Wilff Gregg WANTED to review until he found out that 'contender' didn't mean Druitt was a boxer. More books are then reviewed, including the worthless 'The Last Victim of the Bloody Tower' by Millie Heenan, who tries to make yet another case for Prince Eddy having been the Ripper. Women and Ripperology. Oil and Water. Nitro and Glyceren. Begg and Warren. Moving forward, we have a review for the paperback edition of the inappropriately titled but expertly written and info-packed 'JTR: The Definitive History' by Paul Begg. It's a rave review. Imagine that. Evans' and Skinner's 'JTR: Letters from Hell' is also out in paperback and receives a rave review as well. Then we get to the Ripperana reviews. Totally different story. Begg gets ignorant on Warren's azz. For an entire page-worth of prose he goes apesh*t on Warren and his rag. He barely stops short of calling his mama names (i.e. 'Warren's mum's teeth are so yellow, when she smiles traffic slows down'). In all honesty, everything he says here is true. It is freaking HILARIOUS! If nothing else, it will boost Ripperana's sales because people will be dying to see Warren's response. Save your money. I'll let you know what he says when the next issue comes out. He'll probably just make fun of Dan Norder for being an American some more. Suffice it to say this is the longest 'review' that Ripperana has ever or will ever receive in Ripperologist. Following this is a 4-star review of the latest Ripper Notes, even though my Lindbergh/Ripper article totally gets trashed here. Yeah, whatever. It got trashed on a Lindbergh site, too. But ANOTHER Lindbergh expert thinks my research is awesome and groundbreaking. The Ripper stuff in the article probably was speculative crap, but oh well. More reviews follow this. Then another installment of the comic strip 'Glenn', which is becoming rather bland and predictable. The issue ends with another great 'Last Word' by a guy who never returns my e-mails - Christopher-Michael DiGrazia.

Man, it's like 1a.m.. I'm totally wiped out. I don't even know what I've just written. I hope it was all positive, because all in all this was a great issue. Begg/George/Zinna/Wood and company should be congratulated for turning Ripperologist around - at least for this issue - and publishing a number of articles that ALONE would be worth the price of the issue but COMBINED make it a better buy than many of the Ripper books that have come out in recent years (Chris Miles' ears are no doubt burning right now). So, if you're not already subscribing, redeem yourself by doing so now. Just click here - www.ripperologist.info - and have your plastic ready. Until next time, I'm out like Bernie Brown from a stinky room.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

John Ruffels
Inspector
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 345
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 5:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great Review Tom, thanks,
I really must get round to subscribing...(So much to absorb so little cash...).
I read your review to see what you had to say about D J Leighton's new Druitt book (review).
It being 1 a.m., not a lot as it happens.But you did say you would like to read what others think of Issue Number 57 of RIPPEROLOGIST.
I would like to know what other people think of
D.J.Leighton's new book "Montague Druitt: Portrait of a Contender".
To this end, some days ago, I tried to start a new thread .The "Books" message boards are full, it seems..("No new threads.."), so I started it under "Suspects": M J Druitt".
To my amazement, the new thread didn't make it into the next days list of threads (you know, "Last Day" et cetera), or the one after, or the one after.
So if you have purchased Leighton's book, or read the review in RIPPEROLOGIST and have since bought a copy, then why not pop over to the Leighton book thread and tell us all what you thought of the book?
Actually, I would love to know what Stephen J Ryder thinks of it!

Matt
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 7:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would take issue with the fact that, I refused to give my real name. What in fact happened was I posted a sort of musing, probing, questing sort of post on a message board and someone saw fit to lift it, screen name and all, and print it in Ripperologist. I am sure I should sure for copyright. It was never meant for wider publication, but there you go. I think I wrote that just after being bored into near stupefaction by issues 54 and 55 (the ones that came out before the Ten year one) but since then both 56 and 57 have been good so I take back most of what I said. I still stand by the comment that RN has more content that is relevant however.

Matt

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 9:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom,

I think Joe does post on the casebook - that is if i have got the right person i'm sure CTG will correct me if i'm wrong

Jenni
"Pick up the pieces and make them into something new, Is what we do!"

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 1:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Tom, I always enjoy your reviews immensely.
I get a real sense of elation from them, the elation comes from the important fact that I neither read such mags or write for them, but your reviews saves me all that bother and time.
I did try and write one article for some mag or the other but was told that the content and prose would cause discomfort to a comfortable pack of editors named after dogs or their habits.
The last time I read a Ripper related mag was when Warren last had a shave, and that was a close one.
What has always worried me about dear old Nick is his uncanny resemblance to Peter Sutcliffe, Fred West and Colin Pitchfork.
I mean, they could be sisters.

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 8:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,

I haven't read the Druitt book. Haven't even ordered it. Probably will, though. As for book discussions, you have to go under 'Books and Media' on the main page and open a thread under 'General Discussion', if there isn't already one created. You'll see that's what I did last night for Alan Sharp's book and Stewart's 'Executioner'.

AP,

I don't know what the British version of 'crack' is, but you're smoking way too much of it. Ha ha. I'm glad you like the reviews, but I don't think Nick Warren even has a beard, let alone resembles Sutcliffe.

Matt,

Which one were you, Jack the Assessor or Horseflesh? Either way, your honesty is no doubt appreciated, and Paul wouldn't have published your musings if he hadn't thought them relevant.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 540
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

I actually grew a beard for the first time last year as an experiment. When Ripperologist asked for a photo to go with their piece on my taking over as editor of RN, I decided to keep it because it made me appear closer to what I imagined a Ripper author would look like. Seems like an almost prescient move now.

Hi Tom,

As usual, your review was an interesting mix. Some thoughful commentary, some crass humor, and some sexist remarks tossed in to add a sour note. But at least you avoided the "Heraclitus" joke I expected to see once you brought up that name.

Oh, and Bernard Brown was also in the new Whitechapel Society Journal, which means he covered all four Ripper periodicals this time around. Yup, there's four of them now, that should be interesting. The competition between Rip and RN has obviously pushed each of the publications to new heights, so with a new one on the block we'll definitely be on our toes.

Hi Jenni,

You're right, Joe Checuti does post here. He has a lot of good material about Tumblety on these boards under the Malta Joe name (which I trust isn't giving away a secret because he wrote posts with information later incorporated into the Rip article).

Hi AP,

We'd love to print something of yours in RN anytime. In fact I thought I'd already emailed you about it but never heard back. Between the Casebook mail system being spotty (or being flagged as spam by overzealous filters) and the email address I use for the publication being down a while back, one message or another might have gotten lost.

(Message edited by dannorder on February 23, 2005)
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 786
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 3:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom

There is actually an entry for my book in the proper "Non-Fiction Books" section, but for some reason it appears out of alphabetical order and is second from bottom of the list.

And incidentally, although I appear cherubic and clean-shaven on my profile here, if you look on the "about the author" page on my site you will see that I too have gone over to the dark side, and indeed at the Christmas C&D was awarded a prize as winner of the Paul Begg lookalike competition. I guess I should hurry up and get something in Ripperologist!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" - Hunter S. Thompson (1939-2005)
Visit my website - http://www.ashbooks.co.uk/

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4165
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 4:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A clean Heraclitus joke for Druitt : you cannot jump into the same river twice.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 1:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom
Who needs Crack when Safeway's Spanish Brandy is available, legal and cheaper?
It does the trick nicely.
Regarding Warren's beard. I have a very expensive JtR book in front of me - incidentally last year's prize in the poetry thread which I really must get around to prizing - and dear old Nick clearly has a full beard.
Either that or he's swallowing a live racoon.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.