Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Harold Furniss - 1904 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Harold Furniss - 1904 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For sale on Ebay:

A unique opportunity to own all four issues of Famous Crimes Past and Present edited by Harold Furniss, London, c. 1904, that contain the series 'Jack the Ripper The Story of the Whitechapel Murders' by a Journalist who was specially engaged to investigate the crimes at the time they were committed. These are the original publications and not copies. They are -

Vol. II.-No. 15, cover art 'The Discovery of "Jack the Ripper's" First Murder.'

Vol. II.-No. 16, cover art 'She Had a Row in the Kitchen with Another Woman.'

Vol. II.-No. 17, cover art 'How the "Ripper's" Victims Went to Their Death.'

Vol. II.-No. 18, cover art 'The Discovery of the Sixth "Ripper" Murder.'

Each is heavily illustrated and there are illustrations of many of the characters in the Ripper story including Dr. Llewellyn, Inspector Spratling, Dr. Phillips, Mr. Wynne Baxter, Sir Charles Warren, Mr. Matthews, Dr. Forbes Winslow, Elizabeth Turner, Michael Kidney, Kate Eddowes, Coroner Langham, Superintendent Foster, Mr. Crawford, John Kelly, and also the murder scenes, street scenes, etc. The full story of Jack the Ripper is told with incredible insight over 26 pages. They also contain other articles, in all approx. 94 pages.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1160&item=6933351291&rd=1

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would be seriously nice to have, but I can't afford it right now, especially as I'm sure bidding will go much higher.

Good luck to anyone who tries for it.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I'm satisfied with my facsimiles. Would prefer to spend what little money I have on those items I don't have another access to. Good luck to all who bid, though!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Howard Brown
Detective Sergeant
Username: Howard

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Its a shame that material that would be utilized by people here at Casebook,The Forums,and independent researchers,winds up in the hands of collectors,who in all honesty,as it is customary for collectors to do....just let these gems sit on shelves....

Take the Patristic Gospels. The guy who outbid my buddy Tom, isn't going to "use" that book. Its probably starting to get a nice coat of dust on it..

Sure, non-Ripperologists may be people too....They certainly have the right to do what they want with items such as the above...

I've got an idea... that 5 or 6 of us all put 200 bucks up in a "pool"...outbid the schnooks for what's on auction that we know will be a high bid...we win the item ...give it to Steve,Dan,Begg,..whomever....they make good facsimiles for the "Pool people"...and keep whats left in that pool for the next item on sale...
We can't lose. This way,this site,or The Forums,or an independent bona fide Ripperologist would have the item...I can live with facsimiles...but not with good merch going to Mrs. Snerdington-Smythe-Smythe,so it can sit on some frigging shelf !

There could be something on auction soon or even later,that could help someone complete a book...advance research...donate toward the Press Project you guys have here...reprint photos of interest more so to us,than any 90 year dudes or dudettes....

Good idea...or bubkes ?

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 668
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To be fair, Howard, the guy who is currently winning this auction (dlmaugie) is nearly always bidding against me for Ripper-related stuff and Victoriana/Historical documents, so I would assume he is an serious enthusiast.
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Howard Brown
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan...Thats another good idea. Maybe we can see if the people who win or outbid "us" [ known Ripper people to ourselves...], would like to either break bread with us on one of the sites OR as an outside shot,share the information the material has.

You are right though...its their gain and whatever they want to do with it is their right,no question.

But...My idea is this...bear with me and let me know if it sounds good to you,Alan....

1. A pool from X amount of likeminded people here and elsewhere is collected....given to whomever is chosen [ you and Tommy are good choices...] to bid on E-Bay.

2. When we win, the winner/our selected bidder sends the prize to either
A. Stephen Ryder
B. Paul Begg
C. Dan Norder

...for re-printing whatever is won. This,of course,may present a problem,if the article is in poor shape. As Tom said, he's okay with facsimiles,I'm cool with facsimiles,and maybe the other participants would be too.

Why these guys? They have contacts with publishers and are reputable men. Hey,and if not them,maybe someone else would like to step up to the plate?

Re-printing the articles could support websites [ via sales],as well as the other mentioned positive sides to doing this.

I'm down for $200 anytime anyone else is.

The money could be sent to Steve [ if he backed this idea ] or the other guys or an alternative. Think of a letter written by D'onston to Woodhull with specifics about the WM and information that we would know what to make of it....How about a bit of marginalia from Anderson in someone elses book,stating that the Seaside Home affair was all a goof? Maybe something about Tumblety? Kelly?

We could call it the RIP Project.

The Retrieval-Investment Pool..

(Message edited by howard on October 26, 2004)

(Message edited by howard on October 26, 2004)

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I do have to admit that one of the major reasons I'd want to pick up things like this would be to look into the possibility of releasing them in a format others can get ahold of at a price that's easy to afford.

The economics of it is tricky though, as Stephen can probably attest to with some of the old reprint volumes he was selling in the past. Printing things up in a nice way has an inevitable start up cost just to get things rolling, so you'd have to be guaranteed a certain number of sales before you'd be sure you'd break even. (Hence the idea of subscriptions for a magazine; I can look at my list and have a good idea of how many copies to print).

If it were just a matter of getting it into electronic format and sent out to people that'd be a lot easier. Still time consuming, though. Some of the things work better as part of a larger website, as Stephen has done here.

This particular product looked especially attractive to me because of the illustrations involved. A glance at the covers shows four big images that haven't been done to death in modern publications already (I know everybody and their brother has seen certain Ripper-related art over and over once they read three books or more) and there are supposed to be more inside ("heavily illustrated"). Authentic period art is a big plus when trying to produce a magazine, and if it is directly related to the topic, all the better.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another item has appeared which might be of interest....

JACK THE RIPPER (very rare chance) Police News
"A VERY RARE CHANCE TO GET THESE 5 NEWSPAPERS THAT MY GREAT GRANDFATHER OWNED FOR MANY YEARS, THEY HAVE BEEN PAINSTAKINGLY LOOKED AFTER AND KEPT DUST FREE

THESE ARE ORIGINAL PAPERS, AT THE TIME OF PRINT, THESE PAPERS WERE ONE PENNY EACH, JACK THE RIPPER GETS HIS FAMOUS NAME FROM THE HORRIFIC 5 BRUTAL MURDERS THAT HE COMMITTED IN THE LATE 1880'S IN THE DARK EAST END OF LONDON MAKE THESE THE WHITECHAPEL MURDERS, WAS THE KILLER A DOCTOR FROM NEW YORK? A MEMBER FROM THE ROYAL FAMILY? OR WAS HE A LOCAL TRADESMAN? WITHOUT FORENSICS WE WILL NEVER KNOW"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13993&item=2281166559&rd=1

Howard Brown
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where's Alan Sharp ? Its that dlmaugle guy again, bidding on these papers....

This is what I was talking about...Maybe we ought to approach this dlmaugle guy,huh?....or get some sort of committee of pissed off Ripper-losers on E-bay together....?

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For info the Furniss publications went for £280.
The bidding was as follows:
User ID Bid Amount Date of bid
joseph_jarosz GBP 280.00 Oct-29-04 14:20:59 PDT
sjeff43 GBP 275.00 Oct-29-04 14:24:54 PDT
hawkmothra GBP 251.90 Oct-29-04 14:24:02 PDT
hawkmothra GBP 227.85 Oct-29-04 14:23:13 PDT
dlmaugie GBP 200.00 Oct-29-04 08:33:55 PDT
kaplan7 GBP 146.00 Oct-29-04 07:41:40 PDT
dlmaugie GBP 120.00 Oct-22-04 22:56:14 PDT
philiphutchinson GBP 100.00 Oct-22-04 17:41:41 PDT

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 669
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Disturbed by that. Now Philip Hutchinson, dlmaugie and hawkmothra are regular bidders on Ripper stuff, and are obviously enthusiasts who would give these magazines a good home, but from what I can see this Joseph Jarosz bloke has only ever previously purchased Hyundai car parts! What exactly is he going to do with these papers???
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.