Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through April 05, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Ripperologist » Ripperologist issue 52: March 2004 » Archive through April 05, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam Wood
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear all

Cover for our forthcoming issue, due for publication in two weeks' time. Articles include Eduardo Zinna on the Cleveland Street Scandal, Andy Aliffe on the availability of the telephone in the East End of the 1880s (you'll be surprised!), and a chance to win the newly revised version of Don Rumbelow's Complete Jack the Ripper. The highlight, however, is Daniel Olsson's extensive research into Elisabeth Stride's early years, including photographs of her home and copies of her birth, baptism and police certificates. Want to see them? Subscribe now! http://www.ripperologist.info

Adam
Producton, Ripperologist

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3000
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam -

Definitely looking forward to reading the next issue - the article on Elizabeth sounds like a goldmine of information. Plus the cover art looks fab... :-)

For all you non-subscribers, trust me - you're missing out!
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

meganB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ripperologist sounds like a excellent magazine to me, but is this wondeful magazine avalible at newsstands?

Eduardo Zinna
Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Megan,

The availability of Ripperologist at newsstands is, unfortunately, rather limited at present. I suggest you subscribe either by visiting the website at www.ripperologist.info or contacting Subscriptions Manager Coral Kelly at coralkelly52@hotmail.com. Apart from subscriptions, single and back issues are available.

Contributions to the latest issue, as pointed out by Adam Wood above, include Daniel Olsson on 'Elisabeth's Story: A Documentary Narrative of Long Liz Stride's Early Life in Sweden', Andy Aliffe on 'Forget 118 Try 1888: An Anecdotal History of the Telephone and its Public and Private Use', Rob Hills on 'The "Whore" Slaughterer', Bernard Brown on 'North by Northwest', Eduardo Zinna on 'Tea, Scandal and the Ripper's Shadow', Editorial by Chris George, Last Word by Christopher-Michael DiGrazia, On the Crimebeat by Wilf Gregg, Newspaper Trawl by Chris Scott, news, reviews and a competition to win a copy of Donald Rumbelow's revised opus.

Best,
Eduardo

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, Eduardo.

Quite nice cover art work, I must say. And I am not just referring to the motive (a good old Swedish wooden homestead, from the look of it); look at the colors (after all, I do work in the graphic design/layout business myself). Great stuff.

I would die for a subscription of that periodical, but unfortunately I think $60 is a lot of money -- not that it isn't worth it, I just don't have it.
I didn't see anything on your website if it's possible to buy single edition numbers and what it would cost. Aaaah rats! I wish I didn't have such a lousy financial situation...

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Eduardo Zinna
Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,

You are right - the house on the cover of the latest Rip is the farm where Elisabeth Gustafdotter was born one hundred and sixty-one years ago. Time flies!

The cover was designed by our production wiz Adam Wood, a colleague of yours. He'll be pleased to know that you liked his work.

As for the article on Liz, it is a great piece by your compatriot - and also colleague - Daniel Olsson, which I feel you shouldn't miss. I wish I could send you a copy gratis, but, unfortunately, that is not possible. The magazine has a very tight financial situation, since its run is very limited and its income accordingly low. Good news, though, is that it is indeed possible to buy single copies. Go to the mag's website at www.ripperologist.info or contact Coral Kelly, our subscription manager, at coralkelly52@hotmail.com.

At any rate, you have my email address from previous contacts, so you may contact me and we'll discuss other options further. I look forward to it.

Cheers,
Eduardo

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 265
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Glenn

I know what you mean about the price. I've only just now scraped together my pennies and got a subscription. My first issue (No. 52) just arrived, and I think I can guess at one of the reasons why the price is a little high (besides shipping costs): there are only a small amount of advertisements to offset publishing costs. I don't know if that's intentional, but it's a welcome change. It's pretty much wall-to-wall articles accompanied by illustrations.

I'm enjoying the portrait of Wynne Baxter in Andy Aliffe's telephone piece. I've always liked Baxter. Coroner? He looks like a professional wrestler. His head was so square, you could use it as a level :-)

I know how it is, man--boy, do I know--but if you ever do come by the money, it's worth it, judging by this issue.

Unsolicited commercial over!

Dave

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eduardo,

Don't worry, I wasn't trying to beg you for a free copy or subscription. :-) I wouldn't dream of it -- just wanted to give voice to my personal frustration, since I think that the Ripperologist looks incredibly fresh and interesting.

I unfortunately don't have your e-mailaddress saved anymore, Eduardo, since I had to format my hard disk drive some time ago and therefore lost all my old contacts in my address book. But I'll mail to your paper and ask the price of a single copy (although I naturally would prefer a subscription any day). Thanks for the response and congratulations to a splendid piece of work, from the look of it (and indeed, my regards to Adam Wood -- I am slightly occupational injured from my work with typography and art design, so I can't resist noticing such details).

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on April 02, 2004)
Crime historian, Sweden

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,

Lucky you. I woudn't hesitate about it, if it wasn't for the fact that I can't even manage to pay my bills. A university degree (Bachelor of Art History) is worth nothing in Sweden and the country is drowning in people working with graphic design (which is my side occupation), so it's a bit of a bummer.

I got myself a nice break, though, when I published my own crime history book two years ago about local murder cases, since it was quite successful and well reviewed, but most of that money went to to pay off the printing costs.

Actually, considering the heavy expenses connected with a high quality periodical, the price for the Ripperologist is quite reasonable and understandable. Those journals are incredibly expensive to publish and print (not to mention the postal expenses), unless you want to scatter them full of annoying ads -- in general, an ordinary periodical consists of approximately 40--50 percent advertising.
So I don't doubt for a minute that the Ripperologist is worth every penny.

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I've always liked Baxter. Coroner? He looks like a professional wrestler.
His head was so square, you could use it as a level."

Crime historian, Sweden

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding the farm house on the cover, they are still quite common in several parts of Sweden, at least in the minor communities and on the countryside. Those who are in good condition (which is not always the case) and are situated in attractive areas, are quite expensive today, though. But they do have charm.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on April 02, 2004)
Crime historian, Sweden

Thomas C. Wescott
Sergeant
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

If you're not subscribing to Ripperologist, you're either broke or not serious about Ripper studies. I'd say the same for Ripper Notes, but it's on hiatus (boo-hoo!)pending a new editor (paging Chris George!). Meanwhile, we've still got Ripperologist, which SHOULD be on newstands. They've had some really good stuff, and a great new look, ever since Chris George and Eduardo Zinna came on board as co-editors (not to detract from the hard-working Paul Begg, who's had to avoid slings and arrows cast at him by an overzealous, overjealous competitor, while at the same time writing TWO new Ripper books and editing the Rip). For those who haven't read it in a while, they're actually running articles about JACK THE RIPPER again, so give 'em another shot.
Now with Ripper Notes gone (at least for now) Ripperologist is the only real Ripper mag, so SUBSCRIBE and SUPPORT (and no, I'm not on the staff!). Besides, I've got some new stuff I plan to submit, and if they publish it, I'll want as many readers tearing it apart as possible (I'm a glutton for bad reviews), so go to their site (here on the Casebook) click the button and subscribe NOW before you get distracted. You won't regret it. Or maybe you will. Who the hell knows. But YOU won't know unless you try!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

You really know how to put salt in the wound.

"If you're not subscribing to Ripperologist, you're either broke or not serious about Ripper studies."

And I am broke. And I do mean broke.
Actually, The Ripperologist is not really more expensive than any other periodical.

But I agree with you, that it should be a natural item on the news and paper stands. The journal would be more visible indeed and it would attract even more readers. It really deserves to reach as many people as possible.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on April 03, 2004)
Crime historian, Sweden

Belinda Pearce
Sergeant
Username: Belinda

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going to have to see if I can scrape together the money for a subscription.I have two dogs though and my older one needs injections to ease her arthritis and the other night my three year old dachshund ate a whole bag of little easter eggs and had to be rushed to the vet at 3 am.The price is high when you have a limited income

Adam Wood
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn, I do try my best!

Regarding single-issue availability of Ripperologist, this is something that Editor Paul Begg and I have pondered for the best part of two years without being able to come to a decision.

Another point of debate is whether to make individual articles available for purchase.

If readers have opinions on this we'd be very interested to hear them.

Adam
Production, Ripperologist

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam, you are welcome indeed.
Very tasteful work -- take it from someone who has it as a daily profession.

I think single-issue availability would be something to consider, although I believe it may not be that profitable on the web -- maybe a good idea would be to try and distribute the journal to the news stands or paper stores.

Belinda,

I am a big animal lover and that post about your dogs nearly broke my heart. Of course they should come first; I have no pets myself, but I know that it can get expensive when you have to run them off to the vet. Hope everything works out.

All the best

Crime historian, Sweden

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 254
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,
I always get told about how sweden is a good example of how good almost anything is (in my sociology course mainly!).
I wonder however where 60 dollars came from as a figure as i thought the price was nearer twenty english pounds (do not know if i sound foolish and this is same!). Anyway what a good job you can get a single issue (*and aren't some of the articles on this website??, thats a tip).

And no ones mentioned riperoo so i thought I would!
Jennifer D. Pegg

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer,

Not to go off thread here, but I am afraid Sweden isn't what it used to be, and hasn't been since the late 70s. Today we have high rate unemployment, serious social problems, failing health care, budget problems, high crime rates, declining police force, high taxes etc. etc., like everybody else. It is far from a model society nowadays, but I guess the country's old positive reputation is still clinging on to people's memory.

Personally, I can't wait to get away from here. Especially if you have academic training, this country is useless and belongs to the undeveloped ones.

60 USD is actually a little bit more expensive in Swedish compared to the price in EURO or GBP (don't ask me why), although it's not that big a difference, but the Ripperologist subscription price of 36 EURO or £24 GBP ends up in practically the same -- that is, approximately 330 Swedish kronor (Crowns).
Really not that expensive really, for a high quality periodical (there are more expensive ones) but if you haven't got any money, everything is expensive.

60 USD is approximately £31 or 32 GBP.

All the best

Crime historian, Sweden

Thomas C. Wescott
Sergeant
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I got the new issue today, and like the last few, looks great. One thing about the Rip is it's a lot drier a read than Ripper Notes. Rob Hills' article was pretty stupid, I must say. And I can say that, because I wrote an article for Rip a few years ago that was pretty stupid. Ha ha. But Rob thinks George Morris, the Tongue and Kearley watchman in Mitre Square was the Ripper. Now he thinks he's got accomplices AND wrote the Ripper letters. Rob reads like a really cool guy, but some people are just so desperate to name a new suspect that they overlook the fact that their suspect, like, sucks. I do agree with him, though, that the secret to the mystery probably lies in the night of the 'double event' and, probably, in Mitre Square.
The review section was pretty slim this time around, because they had so many articles. I would've liked a longer review of Chris Miles' book. 7-month investigation. Wow. The guy wants me to pay $16 just for shipping, so I want to know what his "never before published evidence" and "never before analyzed document" are before I buy the book. The review didn't tell me.
Now I'm all stoked up about Rumbelow's revised edition as well as Begg's revised edition. Shame we won't have a Harris revised edition. You're missed, Melvin.
Ripper Notes is gone, yet its two respective editors open and close each issue of its competitor. How weird is that? Figures, though, seeing as how these guys sent me an issue of Ripperologist along with a free issue of RN when I was first considering subscribing to them years ago. Chris & CM are the reason I subscribed to Ripperologist when I did. Shows you what kind of guys they are, and we're lucky to still have them around.
The other articles I haven't read yet, but will very soon. I'm really looking forward to Andy Aliffe's article on telephones.

TO ADAM WOOD,

Boy, you sure know how to put together a handsome mag. On another topic, I think selling individual articles is a bad idea, but giving them away to entice subscription or purchase, which you've been doing, is a great idea. The magazine should be able to sell itself by reputation alone, not to mention the outstanding reps of its editors, but the proof is in the pudding. Allow me to remind visitors to this board that the 'Dissertations' section of this website contains some articles from past issues of Rip. Go check them out.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Belinda Pearce
Sergeant
Username: Belinda

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn my dachshund is fine they gave her something to make her sick and it was all over in minutes.She came home and bounced around as though nothing had happened.
I would love to be able to buy individual articles.

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Belinda.

NIce to hear that things worked out with your dog. I hate it when animals get sick; I feel so sorry for them. Guess I am quite mushy when it comes to animals.

Tom and Adam,

I'm sorry; I guess I misread Adam's post because I was in a hurry. he was talking about individual articles! No, I don't think it's a good idea at all for the magazine -- to show pdf samples is quite sufficient for commercial purposes (and as Tom says, some of the articles ends up here in the dissertation section anyway.
But to sell individual articles, I believe would be a non-profit idea and I wouldn't recommend it. It would contradict the attempts to get more people to buy the mag or subscribe for it. So, no, I don't think that is recommendable.

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3033
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The table of contents and sample article for issue #52 of Ripperologist can now be found at:

http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media/book_reviews/periodicals/ripperologist.2004-03.html

Enjoy!
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 968
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 5:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

For those who received, or are about to receive, a copy of Adrian Morris' (great surname!) Coak & Dagger Club Newsletter Number 7 - April 2004 (possibly tucked inside their latest Rip), you may wish to know there's a small prize awaiting the first person to spot the accidental one-word mistake in the article Watch Out!, which entirely changes the implications of the whole (time) piece.

Adrian assures me that the correction will appear in the next newsletter.

Lots of love,

Caz
X

PS Another prize awaiting anyone who can come up with names for any H division copper whose number was 93 at any time (or even 39, for followers of Richard Nunweek's 39 theory).

Meganb
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Eduardo,

I went to the website yesterday. 60$ an issue and jugding by the articals I've read, it's well worth the money.

Regards,
Megan

Adam Wood
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your opinions on availability of individual issues and articles. I personally agree with your sentiments but it's always good to hear other ideas. Single issues are of course available by contacting Coral Kelly via our website, www.ripperologist.info

Just to clarify the $ subscription costs, the cover price of a single issue is $10 including postage. It costs $3.50 to mail each issue to the USA, meaning the actual price of the magazine is $6.50.

This equates to £3.50 - which, with mailing costs to the UK of £0.50, is why we have a £4.00 cover price for UK subscribers.

Hope I've explained that properly!

Adam
Production, Ripperologist

ps Thanks Tom

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.