Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

How did the police try to catch Jack? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Police Officials » Abberline, Inspector Frederick » How did the police try to catch Jack? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Olga
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 9:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i'm currently doing my gcse history coursework, please can you help me? i have to find out what methods the police used in orde to catch Jack

thanks

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 7:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Olga

Some of the things the police did were : drafting extra men into the area ; putting men into plain clothes ; checking tip-offs contained in letters from members of the public ; searching the doss houses within a particular area ; reversing their beats ; putting up copies of the "Dear Boss" letter ; and, in the cases of Eddowes and Kelly, photographing the mutilations.

The police material in the "Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook" is very informative, as is Casebook itself, e.g. the thread "Met Search Area" under "General Discussion".

Robert

Acacia Brown
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 2:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why was Jack the Ripper not caught? and is the police to be blamed?

Monty
Chief Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 790
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Acacia,

Yeah, Answering that aint gonna take a while is it ?

My reasons (others may disagree) follow,

Forensics was in its infancy.

Police had no experience of this type of killer before...not to this degree, which had a knock on effect regarding organisation and investigation. I suggest you read this dissertation

http://casebook.org/dissertations/schoeneman-crisis.html by Brian Schoeneman.

Social conditions.

Political situation.

Plenty more reasons.

To lay the blame squarely on the police is unfair and unjust.

It would be like me blaming you for not knowing the answer to the question you have just asked.

Regards,

Monty
:-)

Michael Raney
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 4:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Acacia,

I totally agree with Monty. Not only is it hard even today to catch a suspect, it is even harder to prove it. Many murder investigations take a year after the suspect is in custody to complete. It takes a lot of hard evidence to get a conviction. It was many times harder back in 1888 as they just didn't have the tools to do the job. There may have been suspects at the time that we know nothing about (like the real Ripper maybe), that there was just not enough hard evidence against without modern methods of investigation. I think the police were doing the best they could with the limited knowledge and tools they had available.

Mikey

Paul Jackson
Sergeant
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 8:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Mike and Monty...Back then, the only for sure way to catch and convict a suspect was to have a witness that actually saw a murder being committed and could identify the person that committed it. In the Ripper murders...no
one saw anything...not really. Maybe Israel Schwartz saw the beginning of a murder with
Stride...Provided that Stride was a Ripper victim, and Im of the opinion that she was.
Anyway, The police didnt have fingerprinting available, DNA, Nothing. The Ripper was pretty crafty too, you have to give him that.
There were also SO MANY PEOPLE in Whitechapel and they were mostly from different origins and
probably didnt know each other that well. Anyway, those are some of my reasons.

Paul

googliemooglie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 5:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i agree with mike monty and paul

googliemooglie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 5:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i agree with mike monty and paul

kayla
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 9:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am doing my GCSE coursework, and need some help. does anyone know the answer to this question: what was it about whitechapel that made it hard to catch Jack the ripper?

kayla x x

Frank van Oploo
Inspector
Username: Franko

Post Number: 372
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kayla,

Whitechapel was a densely populated area in one of the poorest districts in London. There were many slaughterhouses and such in those parts, and it wasn’t odd for men to walk around in dirty and even blood stained clothes. Although people perhaps expected Jack the Ripper to have been all covered in blood after each murder, this probably wasn’t true. Furthermore, the fact that there were so many narrow alleys and thoroughfares may have made the Ripper’s escape easier.

Another thing is that the Ripper probably wasn’t a very conspicuous looking chap, he probably seemed rather timid to people who knew him or met him, whereas the police were looking for someone that stood out, someone who acted suspicious, perhaps a slavering maniac whose mind was diseased and whose emotions were out of control. The murders were inhuman, so the murderer had to be inhuman too. He had to be mad or foreign, preferably both. But the Ripper probably wasn’t anything like this.

Then of course, the chance of the police catching any criminal in those days would drastically plummet if they didn’t catch him or her in the act. The investigative tools the police had at their disposal back then didn’t include fingerprinting, forensic analysis, DNA analysis, profiling and such and even with those tools at hand it’s difficult enough to catch a serial killer. The police of those days had no experience either with murderers who killed without an obvious motive.

If you haven’t done this already you might want to read frequently asked questions about Jack the Ripper here: http://casebook.org/about_the_casebook/.

Good luck on your coursework!

Frank

nateb
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 3:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

could the victim's bodies not be exumed today and searched for any trace of DNA that the killer may have left behind?

Chloe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 8:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please can you help me, i know that the police tried to catch Jack the Ripper by bringing more police into the Whitechapel area and by also dressing up as prostitutes, what else did they do in an attempt to catch jack the Ripper?

Junior
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah i agree with nateb, that is good thibking. they are doing it with that thousands of year old mummy why not the ripper victimss

Mary
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 7:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two questions. How was Inspector Abberline assigned to the case? And did the police ever suspect James Maybrick? Because most of my sources name the same suspects, such as Druit, Kosminski, and a few others, but one source extensively tries to prove that the Ripper was Maybrick, and that's the first I've heard of him.

Katy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanx for your help. These answers helped me with my coursework too!!!

Katy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanx for your help. These answers helped me with my coursework too!!!

Phil Hill
Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 482
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 1:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nateb

In the case of Eqyptian mummies it is the body's own DNA that is sometimes looked for. Not (say) the DNA of the embalmer.

Second, the conditions in Egypt, hot, dry, arid, dessicating, preserve tissue much more than rainy, soggy soil in SE England.

Some of the bodies lie in unmarked or mass graves and we would never be able to identify anything that remained.

With those which have marked graves, much would depend on the state of the bodies as to what had survived. I doubt (for instance) semen traces would now be recoverable even if they were ever there.

I was once privy to some enquiries about exhuming the grave of a dog, and the state of preservation depended on whether it had been buried wrapped in a blanket, or in the bare earth. In the end nothing was done, but that gives an indication of the sorts of things that affect decay.

Phil

Karina
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 1:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heya People, I'd just like to say thanks to all of you as everything you have said has helped me with my coursework and opened my eyes to other people's points of view.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.