Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Freemasons and police Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Police Officials » General Discussion / Other Police Officials » Freemasons and police « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christine Marlin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since Stewart Evans has introduced Major Arthur Griffiths into the Ripper discussion, I thought it might be worth noting that Griffiths was a freemason. (He says so in his memoirs, Fifty Years of Public Service, 1898, p. 139). I don't know enough about the Ripper case to speculate on how this might be relevant -- I merely offer the information in case it should be useful to someone!

cynthia burdon
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 7:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have recently discovered that my great-grandfather's name was Skelton. He was with the London Police and in his obituary it is said he was the last living policeman to work on the Jack the Ripper case. Unfortunately i can find no trace of this name in any documents. Can anyone help?

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 451
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 9:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Cynthia,

I must admit I have never come across the name of Skelton in regard to the WM.

Perhaps you would like to post his obituary on the boards, as I, and I am sure others, would be most interested to read it.

Rgds
John

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4749
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 8:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynthia, there was a Charles Skelton, 33, policeman, born Suffolk, at 32 Princes Block, St Botolph Aldgate in the 1891 census. Wife Martha E., 28, born Essex. Sons Frederick C., 7, born Essex, and George H., 5, born London City.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4752
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 2:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynthia, on going back I think that the name of the man that I found was probably Skilton. Are you sure your ancestor was Skelton, not Skilton?

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2369
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 6:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got an incoming on a Henry Skelton, in some connection to the Whitechapel Murders on the 'East London Family History Society'.
There is also an article there on George Hutchinson as a witness to the crimes of Jack the Ripper which I was unable to unlock.
This could be interesting if written by family.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4753
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 6:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks AP. No luck with Henry.

Robert

kristylawson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello,
my great great grandfather was named James Stockley. I've always been told by Grandparents that he was one of "the big five" to work on jack the Ripper's case... does anyone know anything of this... or does that name ring any bells? Also, was it common for these police officers to have alias' or other names? because we've also been told that he was undercover, but worked until retirement on the jack the ripper case... i've looked for hours without coming up with too much...
thanks in advance for any info...
kristy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.