Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Dismissal from police force Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Police Officials » Harvey, P.C. James » Dismissal from police force « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary Weatherhead
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone help me find the answer as to why P.C. Harvey was dismissed from the force in July of 1889. Any information would be very welcome.

Thanks
Gary

Severn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am interested in why too but cannot find any info on it.The timing of both PC Watkins and PC Harveys arrivals at Mitre Square dont altogether add up.I have also found it strange that neither caught a glimpse of Lawende and co while on their respective beats.This has made me wonder whether they really were keeping to their tasks or doing other things such as drinking tea with Morris etc
It seems as though someone is concealing something anyway.Its odd dont you think that neither of the PCs spotted Lawende and co.?
One thing seems certain between 1.30 and 1.44 the only people at separate times to have been in Mitre Square alone but with torches were PC Harvey and PC Watkins.They didnt meet that night by all accounts until after the discovery of the body but they both passed and looked into the square.Ofcourse if one of the empty houses were used this could explain why they saw nothing.All the same PC Harvey was dismissed justnine months later.It would be useful to know why.Can anyone help? Natalie.

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie,

Just a point. It was Harveys task to check the passage not to enter the square.

With the Bulls eye lamps the PCs used it was difficult to get any light from them at all. The only use the had would be to check something up close (and I mean real close. I think even with a lamp Harvey was hard pressed to see into the corner where Kates body was) or as a signal (as PC Neil did in Bucks row). Couple that with the extreme heat they generated I would think the lamp was only used occasionally.

Like I said, just a point. Sorry I couldnt help with your query.

Monty
:-)

Severn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Monty,I"ll keep trying to find out more
I hadnt realised that the torches were so weak.
No wonder then that the body was missed.Best Natalie.

Knightpuppett
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a thought,

It maybe that during the investigation it may have been deduced that Officers may not have kept strictly to the beat all shift (as today sometimes they may 'wander'). This may have been noted and after the "heat" had subsided he may have been dealt with...

What do you think?}}

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.