Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

I Caught Crippen (1938) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Police Officials » Dew, Detective Inspector Walter » I Caught Crippen (1938) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Detective Sergeant
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen

This is a good book, which I first met in the old British Library reading room, but since then I got my own copy and I paid a hell of a lot more than your starting price. I found it in the bookshop nearly opposite the British Museum.
Well worth bidding for.
History and a good read to boot.

Karen Denby
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 5:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is very intersting - I obtained a copy of this book about 10 years ago after find out that Walter Dew was a distant relative of mine (my maiden name is Karen Dew) and I've always been very interested in the Ripper story. I didn't realise the book was so sought after - but I agree - it is a very intersting read

Simon Norman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walter Dew was my Grandmothers uncle.As an Inspector in the Metropolitan Police I have more than a passing interest in his case book.I have been trying to obtain a copy of,"I caught Crippen" for some time now,so if anyone has knowledge of where I can get one I would be obliged.

Karen Denby Dew
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Simon

I was interested to read your message saying that Walter Dew was your grandmother's uncle - as far as I am aware (and according to my father), he was my grandfather's uncle (his name was Llewellin Dew). I'm not sure where you would be able to obtain a copy of the book now - I got mine thru International Book Search about 10 years ago but I'm not sure if they still exist

Emma Case
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 4:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interested to see these messages, my partner's surname is also Dew, first name Cymon and his father is Vincent one of three brothers. Could anybody let me know if there is a family tree, so that we can confirm if we are related as we suspect - possibly Walter was either an uncle or grandfather to Vincent's father.

Michael Sheffield
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 7:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Simon & Karan
Walter Dew is my great grandfather on my mothers side - my grandfather's name was also Walter Dew and was the son of Walter Dew who caught Crippen. My grandfather also worked at Scotland Yard as an detective inspector. Unfortuneatly, due to a family disagreement, a copy of his book 'I Caught Crippen' was not kept by the family. My daughter is interested in obtaining a copy and would be grateful of any help in tracking down a copy.

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3071
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 8:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The full text of Walter Dew's chapter, "The Hunt for Jack the Ripper", from his 1938 book I Caught Crippen can now be found online at:

http://casebook.org/ripper_media/rps.walterdew.html

Enjoy!
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Busy Beaver
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 5:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Stephen,
I have not read the text before. It sums up rather well about what I have been trying to say about Fear and the impact Jack caused on ordinary folk in the East-End. If his crimes were not so terrible, there is also the possibility that more witnesses would have came forward. We can count on two hands the credible witness list that has been compiled, which is rather pathetic considering the number of people living in the area at the time.
Busy Beaver

John Malcolm
Police Constable
Username: Johnm

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 3:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I feel like I've just received one of the best Xmas presents of all time. (next to the Lionel train set I got when I was eight and the guitar when I was fifteen.) Thank you Santa. (or was it the Easter Bunny?)
Dew's memoirs, even in their fogginess, fifty years after the murders, are still compelling...

Dan Norder
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a good read. He has many fair points. Some of the facts are obviously in error, but there's much to think about in what he says.

Notable points:
*There was extensive graffiti claiming to be from the killer (casts light on whether the Goulston Graffito was unique or accurate).
*He has much to say about Marie Kelly and knowing her before her death, as well as having been one of the first police officers to see her dead (a lot of theories revolve around what may or may not have happened that night, his views should be seriously considered... at the very least, he has no doubt that it really was her).
*"I did not see all the murdered women, but I saw most of them, and all I can say is that if the wounds they sustained are representative of a doctor's skill with the knife, it is a very simple matter to become a surgeon."
*"Several photographs of the eyes were taken by expert photographers with the latest type cameras." Is it possible that these may be out there, waiting to be found, or perhaps waiting for someone to identify what exactly they are supposed to be pictures of?

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 574
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 2:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen once again supplies my every need. I had recently asked Loretta Lay to look out for a copy of this text for me, and up it pops on the site! Many many thanks Stephen.

Now perhaps if I start wishing for a couple of million euro....

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 841
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 3:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Walter Dew made some intresting comments on the Kelly murder, and as he was on duty on the 9th Nov, and was one of two detectives, to enter the court at 1045am, we should not doubt his recollections.
According to him , a youth was sent to see if kelly was in her room, as some of the residents were concerned that she was not seen that morning.
On discovering the body , he hurried back to McCarthy, who dispensed him to fetch the police.
I was under the impression , that Bowyer[ a youth?] was the person who discovered the body, when he tried to contact Kelly, regarding rent due.
Also according to Dew, Mrs Maxwell, was not a publicity seeker, infact she was a intelligent, respectable woman, and infact their contact was not from across the street, but only a couple of feet away.and Kelly actually asked her,' what can I take to stop feeling ill?'it was then that the 'hair of the dog' was mentioned.
The conversation existed, there can be no doubt, the fact is a level headed woman, that Abberline interviewed, and dispite great attempts to find her out , could not, and who went on to swear on oath at the inquest, dispite being warned by the coroner.
How can we doubt, that kelly was alive at 8am?.
The residents of the court, appeared to have been concerned, mayby because they mentioned to each other that morning'Did you hear that scream last night?.And none of them having the courage to look in the window, reported their concern to McCarthy.
All of this , and to repeat once again from a man on the spot[Dew]
Richard.

Dan Norder
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 3:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard,

It seems strange to try to use Dew to support your belief that Mrs. Maxwell was correct in her statement. Dew himself said that she was mistaken.

Why ask how anyone can doubt that MJK was alive at 8 am when the police officer who was first at the scene that morning just gave you his reasons for doubting it?

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 842
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 4:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,
I am not at all surprised, that Dew, and Abberline doubted her, I was just relaying the suggestion from Dew, that she appeared to have been a honest person, therefore a mistake was more likely, just a character reference.
Richard.

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 237
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey dare Stephen -

I've got a quick question - Why are some of the names missing and/or blanked out?

crix0r

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3077
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Crix -

That was a popular device in Victorian literature (fiction and non-fiction). I've never researched why exactly, whether it was out of fear of libel action for actually using a person's real name, or if it was just a stylistic preference. It could also well be that Dew didn't remember exact names and so he used this device instead.
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 238
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi ya Spry -

Hmm.. Very interesting. Makes me wonder. Even though this was written well after the fact (dunno how long the writing style lasted). I haven't read it in it's entirety yet so I can't 'fact check' it against anything just yet. Is it generally true to the facts or?

crix0r

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Stephen
The last time I read this was in the early 90's in the reading room of the British Museum, and I wasn't allowed to make photo-copies, so it is great to read it again.
In the original read I missed the information that Emma Smith was attacked outside of a big cocoa warehouse in Osborne Street, of interest as I linked three other victims to such premises, so this could be four.
Surprised that Dew doesn't mention Charles Cutbush, as he would have been his superior officer in 1887 and early 1888 at 'H' division?
Thanks again.

CB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 1:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi ALL,

I think the atmasphere that Dew gives you with stories like the Sqibby story. Telling us about the different nick names the detectives had and describing some of the gangs is neat. It is well worth the read just for giving us that perspective.

Hi Jason I think his describtion of the crimes and witnesses is fairly accurate. He gives us a good sense of the murders. his insights into the Kelly murder are interesting and his thoughts about Kelly herself are interesting. I feel all Barnett suporters should give it a read. One thing about the man that Cox saw Kelly with, he describes the man as haveing a beard. That is the first time I ever read that the man had a beard. I have read turned up Mustache but no beard. This could be explained by the fact he wrote his book so long after the murders but he seems to be certain on every fact.
This leads me to believe that maybe the police withheld certain evidence at the time.

ALL THE BEST, CB

Dan Norder
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 6:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason,

I personally wouldn't trust the details. As explored in another thread here, his version of the events on the morning of MJK's death differs significantly from the testimony of three different people at the inquest, and he definitely has it wrong when he says the double event happened only three days after Chapman was killed.

The more I look it over the less I'm convinced that Dew should be trusted on anything. It sounds like he's trying to tell nice dramatic stories about his involvement, and often in these situations, through clouded memories or sheer showmanship, facts can be ignored. The whole slipping on blood as he entered the room sounds suspicious to me, and it's odd that he was never mentioned in the records as having played the role in the events that he claims to have.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the whole MJK episode was fabricated from beginning to end to try to insert himself into the story.

CB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 8:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

One more thing on Inspector Dew. He was 75 years old when he wrote his book. Your memory doese tend to fade. I am not real concerned with little mistakes he makes and I dont take eveything that Inspector Dew says as fact. I am interested in what a detective who worked the case thought. Just to get a general feel for the case because I was not there 115 years ago.

All the best, CB

CB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 7:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,

Good point about the 3 days before the double event and I did catch the mistake when I read the chapter. I thought it was a misprint. Three days instead of three weeks or just a mental error when he wrote the book. I dont feel that is enough to impeach his whole chapter or believe that he lied about his envolvment. It is a glaring mistake and enough to place some doubt on some of the other facts he reports such as the man with a beard that Cox saw Kelly with.

All the best, CB

valarie mclamb
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 9:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Karen and Simon, me too, he was my great grandmothers brother, one of his niece's was Gurtrude Agetha White, nee Dew. She lived in Hammersmith right across the road from the underground station. His sister was my great grandmother and lived with auntie Gertie. I do not know any of my reletives so would be wonderful to get in touch with some.
If you still visit this board please E.mail me.
We are related. Kennelmaid@earthlink.net.

Rob/Cole of Cheltenham
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

F.A.O. Emma Case

Emma... nearly a year on from your posting so am not sure if you'll ever read this but then...

My grandmother's uncle was Inspector Dew and if you drop me a line I will gladly forward to you the information regarding the early part of the Dew family tree. I have also written to the others within this board and elsewhere who also seem to be related (sadly you didn't include an email address)}... see if we can place another piece in the jigsaw as to who is who, and if we are all by some quirky chance related. Like Walter Dew... I hate an unsolved mystery

My email addy is smellycat@blueyonder.co.uk

Warmest regards

Robin

Rob/Cole of Cheltenham
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

F.A.O. Karen Denby & Valerie McLamb

Please email me, the email addresses you've provided on here are no longer valid. Ref the Dew family tree (see above posting to Emma Case).

Many thanks

Robin
smellycat@blueyonder.co.uk

Eddie Sheffield
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I am a brother of Michael Sheffield great grandson of Walter Dew my name Edwin Walter Sheffield must have been a family name as grandad was walter also. Another brother Peter has the original manuscript of the book

AmateurSleuth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 9:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm terribly sorry but there was no Walter Dew born in 1863 according to the 1881 Census. There was a couple born in 1860 and a few in 1864.

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 438
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 4:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AS
Census returns do not show date of birth so where are you getting this information from?

john wright
Sergeant
Username: Ohnjay

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 5:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob,
There age is given on the census, so if you deduct that from the year of the census you get the date of there birth, give or take a year.

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 440
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 6:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear John,

That is correct. But you are assuming the age given is correct. Age information given on census returns only had to be accurate to within 5 years for some considerable time.

For AS to plaster this site with 'corrections' based on something as wildly inaccurate as ages given is a bit thick, especially as he then goes on to admit that he doesn't really know anything about how the census returns were completed!

He also makes a comment about Don Rumbelow claiming Abberline was an opium addict in his book, and demands to know where he got this information from - only to later admit he hasn't actually read Don's book!

I'm sure all of us would welcome any new information that might correct a previously held belief, but for someone to just jump in and insist that we poor slobs have been getting so many things wrong for so long, really pi**es me off!

Christmas - Bah humbug!

Bob

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3375
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 7:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob-
New information is as you say always welcome but theres a level of indescribable questioning here that comes from and is going nowhere!!

There is an huge amount of seriously well thought out debate here on the present ,and deleted boards that must be taken into consideration AS!!!!Do some reading back!!!!

Scrooge MAY have a point here!!!!!

Suzi

john wright
Sergeant
Username: Ohnjay

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bob,
I do know that the age dates are inconsistant thats why I said give or take a year.

In researching through the census you soon learn to adapt your thinking and make allowances on there date of birth.

I also agree that to make a statement without checking your facts, are wrong, Hopefully if enough people show him where and why he is wrong perhaps it will change his attitude.

God bless Tiny Tim

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3378
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 4:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John-

As to the inconsistent dates etc..

When this makes sense I will make a stab at replying!
Reading back through this I imagine youre agreeing with Bob and myself.....

I may be wrong though

Suzi

C. Dew
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just caught up with this site, so I'm a bit late responding to some of these messages so I hope my distant relatives still read this! My great, great grandfather was Walter Dew's uncle. I have a copy of I Caught Crippen which I got from Foyles years ago. I didn't realise it was so rare until I saw a copy on ebay today for £450! I have done some research on the family tree so if any relatives wish to contact me or provide any additional info - I would be very grateful.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.