Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

What did he die of? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Police Officials » Abberline, Inspector Frederick » What did he die of? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam Went
Inspector
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

OK, this is probably going to sound like a really dumb question, but I can't seem to find out anywhere!

I know that Inspector Abberline died on December 10, 1929, aged 86, in Bournmouth, but does anyone know what he actually died of?
I guess at the age of 86 it could have just been old age, but still, I couldn't help wondering about that.

Poor old guy. If he'd lived another 3 weeks, he could have seen the new decade in! And if he'd lived another 4 weeks, he would have seen his 87th birthday out!
Oh well. It wasn't meant to be.
Though I'd be willing to bet that the stress of the Ripper case knocked a good 10 years off his life span!

Anyway, thanks for any answers you can give!

Regards,
Adam.
"Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once."
- Kirsten Cooke,"Allo' Allo'"

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2517
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam,
i don't know but you can probably get a hold of his death certificate and find out

Jenni

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4534
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 4:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam

Dec 10th 1929 of bronchitis and heart disease. Paul Begg, Uncensored Facts.

Robert

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 409
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 6:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done Robert,

But I think you have probably made this the shortest thread yet!

Rgds
John

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Robert, thanks a lot for posting that up.
Bronchitis and heart disease. Ouch, a deadly combination. Well, that's pretty bad, but I guess it's good that atleast he didn't die from something like Cancer!

OK, another question, stemming on from that, just incase anyone knows:

In his later life, how was Abberline's health? I mean, I know now that he had heart disease, obviously not good, but what I mean is was he still fit enough to go about in the last couple of years, or was he confined to in and around his home?
And was he fine mentally later on in life, as in, did he get anything like alzheimers, or was he fine like that for the remainder of his life?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious, because there seems to be little known of or heard from him post-1903, and there's a 26 year gap, so I just would like to know what happened to him in that time.

Thanks for any more help anyone can give, and thanks again for the answer, Robert!

Regards,
Adam.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4537
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 6:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks John, but it looks like the thread is continuing!

Adam, the latest point I know of is 1914. Paul Begg reports Macnaghten, writing in that year, as saying that Abberline is still hale and hearty.

Apparently he was very much into gardening.

Robert

Malta Joe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Malta

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nigel Morland was born in 1905, and he visited a retired Abberline in Dorset to discuss the Whitechapel killings. I would think this took place sometime in the mid to late 1920's. Judging by his answers, Abberline showed no signs of Alzheimers or anything. He seemed pretty sharp still.

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 5:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again all!

Robert:

"Adam, the latest point I know of is 1914. Paul Begg reports Macnaghten, writing in that year, as saying that Abberline is still hale and hearty.

Apparently he was very much into gardening."

Thanks for posting that up, Robert. Very interesting, especially that it was Macnaghten who wrote that. Although I hope he improved the facts of what he wrote in the 20 years since his 1894 memoranda! ;)
Good to hear Abberline kept busy and healthy.

Malta Joe:

"Nigel Morland was born in 1905, and he visited a retired Abberline in Dorset to discuss the Whitechapel killings. I would think this took place sometime in the mid to late 1920's. Judging by his answers, Abberline showed no signs of Alzheimers or anything. He seemed pretty sharp still."

Thanks for that, Malta.
Well, if Nigel Morland interviewed Abberline in the mid-late 20's, then it certainly would have been within the last few years of his life at the most. Good to hear he was still 'with it', so to speak, by that stage.

Thanks again for the answers to my questions everyone, much appreciated!

Regards,
Adam. :-)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.