Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Bournmouth Connections Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Police Officials » Abberline, Inspector Frederick » Bournmouth Connections « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 832
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 1:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know just when Abberline first moved to Bournmouth? I know that he was from nearby Blandford originally.

It strikes me that he could not help but be acquainted with the Druitt family. If Abberline had been convinced of Montague's guilt but reluctant to expose the Druitt family to embarrassment, perhaps he would come up with the almost ridiculous idea that Chapman was the Ripper -- just to throw the press off the trail. Was Abberline living in Bournmouth when he was interviewed by the Pall Mall Gazette in 1903?

Andy S.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4432
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 3:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Andy

The Sourcebook says Abberline retired to Bournemouth in 1904.

Robert

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 833
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm. Interesting. Still, he might have known the Druitt's from his earlier Dorset days. Apparently Abberline did keep ties to Dorset over the years since he chose to retire to Bournmouth. Perhaps he even did private detective work for the Druitt law firm.

There is no evidence to this effect, but it would explain what I have always considered a puzzling conclusion on Abberline's part in identifying Chapman as JtR.

Andy S.

Phil Hill
Police Constable
Username: Phil

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 2:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andy - people in the UK don't and didn't always retire to places where they had connections.

Bournemouth was long (maybe still is) regarded as a place to retire too and I have heard it referred to as "God's waiting room" given the number of old people living there approaching death. I seem to recall reading that it was much favoured by ex-Army officers, so a policeman might have felt at home there.

The author JRR Tolkien retired to Bournemouth, but did so because (again as I recall) his wife favoured the place. When she died before him, he quickly returned to his beloved Oxford and a flat owned by his old college.

So i don't think we can assume (without specific evidence, which may exist) any prior link between Abberline and Bournemouth or Abberline and the Druitts. It might have been his wife who longed to live in a posh town by the sea, or Abberline who thought he'd meet congenial types there.

Sorry,

Phil

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 835
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Phil,

I hope I wasn't too overly enthusiastic about my suggested possibility. I don't mean to suggest it is likely that Abberline had connections with the Druitts. But it is a possibility and I do think it is likely that he would have been acquainted with this prominent family.

If I was enthusiastic it was due to the possibility of finding an answer to a question that has long puzzled and troubled me -- why Abberline seemed so certain that as unlikely a character as Chapman was the Ripper. If his statement to the press was a "red herring" to throw the press off the Druitt trail, then that comment begins to make sense. Of course we don't have any evidence to that effect.

As to retirement, it is also true in America that people often retire to places where they had no prior connection -- Florida or Arizona, for example. But when someone returns in retirement to a place near where he grew up it could be an indication that he kept up ties over the years. But as you say there are plenty of other reasons why Abberline might have retired to Bournmouth.

Andy S.

Phil Hill
Police Constable
Username: Phil

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andy, I only noted after i'd posted that he was back close to his roots. But even so, Bournemouth was such a retirement centre that I think it would be too dangerous to infer to much from that.

As always though, your posts are thought-provoking. Thanks,
Phil

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.