Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

What is known about Pigott? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Pigott, William » What is known about Pigott? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 3:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just curious. What is known about William Pigott? How viable a suspect is he and was he kept under any form of surveilence after the police released him. Kindest regards, Neil

David N Bullock
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 6:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Neil

William Henry Piggott was apparently unstable in mind. He walked into a Public House 'The Popes Head' and aroused suspician by his hostility towards women. Piggott had been bitten on his hand by a woman in a yard in Whitechapel. He had blood marks on his clothes and shoes and he was interviewed by Abberline.

After his release from custody his whereabouts are unknown.

He died in 1901 aged 66

I think he was probably linked with the Ripper case just because he acted a bit strange and aggressive, and the fact that he had blood spots on him (which probably came from his bitten hand). He like many other suspects was probably just acting weird in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I think the real 'Ripper' would have had to have been a little bit more subtle than walking into pubs with his victims blood upon his person.

Hope this helps & I hope to speak with you again.

Regards

David

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 3:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David;
It helps immensely and I agree with your assessment about the real ripper. It might be interesting to use Pigott as a minor character in teh novel I'm writing for a bit of coloor though. Kindest regards, Neil

David N Bullock
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 3:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Neil

I am glad to have been able to help.

If there is any more information that you require regarding Piggott just let me know - I do have some more details relating to this man - The above was just a rough outline as to why he arroused suspician.

Or if there is any information that you require relating to anything else Ripper related I would be glad to help.

Regards

David

carlo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 7:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should I remind you that the 'ripper' used to cover the mouth of the victim while slashing their throats.

He is still a viable suspect.

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 1:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just thought I would add a little bit of extra information here on William Henry Piggott for anyone interested in him as a ripper candidate.
Whilst checking the records for the Whitechapel infirmary I came across Piggott twice, on two seperate stays in 1888.
At first glance I had thought that he had been discharged from the infirmary on the night of the double event, but I was wrong and had mistaken the 7 for the month of July for a 9 for the month of September.
Anyhow, looking at these records it is obvious why he was picked up by the police, he was known to frequent the Whitechapel area, was a ships cook, an alcoholic, and was obviously given to acting strangely.
His second stay at the infirmary however gives him an alibi for two of the murders and I thought it just as important to show why this man was innocent, as it is to try and prove other's guilt, and I think it just goes to show that when the police eliminated people from their enquiries in 1888 for having an alibi, they probably had checked them out thoroughly. It just so happens in this case that Piggotts whereabouts can still be checked 114 years later, but others are not so lucky.

Here are the two entries;
Catalogue Reference:LMA/STBG/WH/123/020
>this is the date he was picked up by police after one of the murders and was held until October<
Monday 10th sept. 1888 entry no. 2976
Piggott William Henry aged 53
where admitted from : PC Le??h Commercial Street
single, calling : Ships Cook
cause of admission D. Tremours
religion ch. of E
By whose order admitted : MrJ
time admitted 7.?0 Pm
ward sent to B8
settlement : blank
Date of discharge 9 10 1888

Catalogue Reference:LMA/STBG/WH/123/020
> this is a previous time he was picked up from a lodging house in Whitechapel<
Friday 8th June 1888 entry no. 1987
Piggott William Hy. aged 53
where admitted from ; 19 Brick Lane
widow, calling : Ships Cook
cause of admission ; alcoholism
religion ch. of E
By whose order admitted ; Mr O
time admitted 9.25 pm
ward sent to B2
settlement ; 2 ?
date discharge 30 7 1888
Debra

Carol Kight-Fyfe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 4:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debra,

Thank you. I was really warming up to Piggott as a suspect and you have saved my time and his reputation.

Well done.

Carol

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.