Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Books on Thomas Cutbush Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Cutbush, Thomas » Books on Thomas Cutbush « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through February 06, 2004Caroline Anne Morris25 2-06-04  1:04 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 814
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan
that would be great, but be warned there is more than one article, you will need to look at copies of the 'Sun' from the 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 & 19th of February 1894; and there might well be more that I missed. I would also strongly suggest that you check the editions around the date of uncle Charles' suicide as I do suspect the 'Sun' may have rose to the challenge... so to speak. This is something I should have done at the time I was there, but do you know what? At that time I didn't even know that Thomas had an uncle Charles, as it was the very early stages of my research, in fact stronger than that, until I walked into Collindale, Thomas Cutbush was just a blip in the Macnaghten memo who I was prepared to dismiss just like everyone else, but the words in the A-Z stuck in my mind:
'Cutbush need not detain us, he was not Jack the Ripper.'
'What a cheek!' I thought.
Who the dicken's did these people think they were telling us who or who not could be considered as Jack the Ripper?
By god, at that moment sat in Collindale, dear old uncle Charles' spirit infused me and over a bacon buttie and tea in the cafe across the road I determined to bring these smug, arrogant and self seeking, self satisfied tin pot gods to their shaky knees and started writing the 'Myth' down on a serviette stained in bacon grease.
Ah, from such mundane and humble beginnings are giants slaughtered...
Sorry Alan, got carried away there.
I wish you all the luck in the world with your research and '....'
I believe the old cafe is now a internet bar.
Life!

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 815
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Caz
the brandy got the better of me and I imagined myself astride a great white horse with a fine lance bearing down on a herd of Ripposaurs.
My comments were uncalled for and surplus to requirements where you are concerned.
You have your dairy, which you must milk, I do accept that, and I have my lost cause which I must defend with a ferocity that only an old fool could have.
I dare not look at your profile, you might be more handsome than me.
I hope one day we are able to drink to our differing opinion.

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 710
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP,

There are only so many times I can hear the same old excuse about too much brandy causing you to toss uncalled for comments in my direction without wondering how sincere your AP-ologies really are.

My enthusiasm for playing the milkmaid has little to do with Jack and lost causes and much more to do with Jack fans, and watching their reactions to an upstart diarist who would dare to produce a record of Jack’s doings under an assumed identity, and resist all invitations and temptations to come clean and show his/her face.

And you needn’t worry your pretty head, AP. I’ve been called many things in my life, but to date no one has described me to my face as a handsome woman.

Love,

Caz the Dairymaid

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2072
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Below is the obituary of Charles Henry Cutbush which was sent to me by AP, and which my nephew Gary kindly helped me to post. It makes interesting reading.

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 825
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz
I'm sorry to say that the much offered excuse is nothing but the simple truth, I do drink to excess and then the little devil pops up, which is why I do try and stick to my 10pm watershed, but sometimes that little devil can't be stilled even then. I will make a special effort to avoid throwing things at you after ten at night.
I enjoy the term 'handsome' when used to describe a woman, or horse, and I do always use it in a complimentary fashion.
I'm an upstart, but I didn't write the bloody thing... must have been some other upstart.

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 826
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that Robert.
As you say, interesting stuff, and I do hope that this may prompt others to take a closer look at the curious Cutbush family.

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 722
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP,

Keep going me dear and you’ll be well on your way to a degree in AP-ology.

Personally, I think that would be a great trend to set for the future. You hear of degrees in Hindsight but no one would be impressed with a degree in Ripperology, even less Diarology.

I wouldn’t regard people watching as a ‘cause’, lost or otherwise. Watching the ways different people react to a given set of circumstances has always been meat and drink to me, and that’s what I find so fascinating about upstarts, whether we are talking about the upstart ripper or the upstart diarist. They both provide an endless stream of people ready and willing to show us their reactions.

I can’t get enough of them.

Cheers!

Love,

Caz

Chris Michetti
Police Constable
Username: Pl4tinum

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This Cutbush is an interesting person indeed. Did he ever go to America during the 'gaps' between killings in Whitechapel? Could he have also killed Connie Brown? Did he fit the description of the man seen at the scenes of Ripper killings? How old was he in 1888? Maybe his father committed suicide because he couldn't bear living with the secret or cover-up of his own son's madness. Lots of questions and speculation for you all today. :-)
Chris

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 885
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris
it was his uncle that topped himself, but no matter. Interestingly enough there is an American connection in regard to the Cutbush affair and that is his mother was actually born in New York. I have often wondered whether Thomas wasn't sent off to New York shortly after the killing of MJK, and have actually managed to get a couple of blips on my radar when investigating immigration records into and out of the US during that time period. Unfortunately I do not have the technical competence to follow these types of things through, but I do wish somebody would.
There is no question that the Cutbush family had strong links to America, one only has to visit some of the websites available to discover this.
Of interest too are the great amount of reports at the time of a young man of 'clerical' appearance, not always directly in connection to the crimes but in circumstances that are somewhat suspicious,
Finally, young Thomas' greatest assets are that he was the only named suspect at the time who was charged as Jack the Ripper by both prosecution and defence, a charge dismissed by the judge, but he nonetheless felt obliged to sentence the young chap to spend the rest of his life in Broadmoor, where he eventually died after living many years in a totally catatonic state.
It all worked out well in the end for the Metropolitan Police Force, uncle Charles shot himself and nephew Thomas was sent up suitable creek without paddle.
Case closed.
Only joshing ya!

Chris Michetti
Sergeant
Username: Pl4tinum

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops, my mistake.. I meant uncle/nephew. Does anyone have a physical description of Cutbush available? Or perhaps a photo? Did he speak any other languages than english? Thanks!
Chris

David Bullock
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

I just wondered whether you had been able to find a copy of Peter Hodgson's book 'Through the Mists of Time'. I am currently reading the last chapter of this book and I must say it has been a very enjoyable read and I would highly recommend it. I am at the point where the author is about to name T H Cutbush as a likely suspect. Among the many points of interest in this book one has to be the illustrations which are included, there is a drawing of the reconstructed face of Mary Kelly and also of the authors preferred suspect aka Thomas Cutbush.

I purchased my copy from Rupert Books.

Regards

David

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 929
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks David
No, I still haven't read this volume, which is naughty, as I really should, and I will do so as soon as I can get hold of a copy.
Do I read you right? That the author has an illustration of the boy Thomas himself?
Is that a reconstruction, or actual?
If actual I would love to see it. Any chance of posting it here via your scanner?
Does the author present any new material on either Thomas or Colicitt?
Thanks again.

David Bullock
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

The picture of Thomas is a pencil drawing and under the illustration it reads 'Jack the Ripper-based on the author's preferred suspect and eyewitness reports'

The picture itself is just of the head and shoulders of a young man, he has large eyes, a small moustache and no other facial hair. He is wearing a Deerstalker hat and a dark jacket with the collar up.

I dont have a scanner but I know someone who does, so I will try and get this posted soon.

Peter Hodgson offers Thomas as the sort of person most likely to have committed the crimes but does say that the real Jack the Ripper may not actually be any of the named suspects from 1888 upto the present day. The author covers the main aspects of Thomas's behaviour, his escape, incarceration and death. He delves into the sort of fantasies that may having driven the Ripper. He mentions the fact that Thomas always entered and left his home by climbing over the back wall, the fact that he may have been ambidextrous & that he may have seen himself in the role of a doctor and so justifying his dreadful acts.

The fact that Thomas may have seen himself as a 'Doctor' is very interesting and I remembered something which I read recently. In an article written in 1929 it referred to an inmate of Broadmoor who on being released had a story to tell:

He mentions a fellow inmate who was known to be Jack the Ripper and this man seemed to be a self proclaimed doctor who would diagnose the ailments of the inmates. He was caught after one of his heinous crimes, but as he was thought to be insane he was sent to Broadmoor. This supposed Ripper tried to make an escape by climbing over a wall but was unsuccessful.

It has been said that this article is referring to James Kelly but the whole doctor thing doesn't quite fit.

Thomas however,stated that he was studying for the medical profession,and if whilst in Broadmoor other inmates had learnt of Thomas's interest in anatomy and the medical profession, they may have then thought of him as a doctor. The article refers to a man being caught after one of his crimes,could this have been the killing of Frances Coles ? and finally the escape attempt, we know that Thomas had previously been successful in escaping from Lambeth Infirmary,also the method of the attempted escape in Broadmoor, over the wall, is interesting when one considers how Thomas would always enter & leave his home.

Its all very interesting.

Its nice to talk with you again.

Regards

David

carl burrows
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello all,

To go back to the original question posted
"if any other books on Cutbush"

I came across this

http://frost.bbboy.net/kimberleysfangforum-print?forum=6&thread=4

Ten years of research and looking for a publisher! good luck to them

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.