Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

How strong is Thompson as a suspect Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » How strong is Thompson as a suspect « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carl Burrows
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dont know if anyone has noticed but Francis Thompson has crept up to no 2 on the suspect hit parade,I find this suspect quite Intriguing, yet he does'nt seem to attract much attention,e.g messege boards or book covarage, compared to the usual Barnett,Tumelty,Maybrick,Sickert theories.
But going off the suspect info, I feel he is as strong a suspect as any of the others if not stronger ,
Some of the reasons,

Lived in and around Whitechapel,would have had local knowledge!.
Disillusioned Ex trainee priest,
murders fell on Religiuos calender dates,and body's found near religious sanctuaries, also wrote religious poetry!
Trained as a surgeon, had dissecting knowledge!
Owned a scalpel!
Addicted th Opium!
Wore a knecktie!
Had relations with a prostitute!
Had family problems ( father dissowned him and no one attended his funeral.
Described as medium build with a moustache
Looks a right dodgepot on his photograph!!!

I know none of the above proves anything and a motif and history of violence are missing, but I think the same can be levelled at most suspects,just to reiterate I'd like to read anyone elses thoughts on him as a suspect.
Does anyone else have any more information on him?
}

Alan Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Carl
You will find that there are fashionable and unfashionable suspects as far as these boards are concerned. If someone does a lot of research into a particular suspect then obviously there is a lot more to discuss. That is reasonable and perfectly understandable. However it doesnt make them more likely to have been Jack.
However I regret to say that personally I steer clear of the boards most of the time nowadays as objective debate is often stifled by peoples exaggerated ideas as to the importance and accuracy of their own opinions, and disdain for those of others. Opinions are often confused with proven fact.
I made a very similar post to yours some time ago regarding James Kelly, but unfortunately like Thomson although they may appear likely lads we dont as yet have the amount of info as we do on Maybrick, Sickert etc. Even non starters like the Duke of Clarence are afforded a lot more time than someone like Thomson purely because there is a lot more information available to provide subject matter.
Once again this does not mean that the less researched subjects are less likely to be our man.
Doubtless you will be told that there is no evidence to link Thomson to any of the murders as if there is such evidence to link the trendier suspects. If such evidence existed then surely we could all go home

Alan

carl Burrows
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the reply,
Some interesting points! I do agree in that there's is probably more information available on the more trendier suspects,but in one or two cases e.g Barnett and Tumelty, new information has come to the fore in more recent times,
So who knows in the next 10-15 years, new info on kelly or Thompson may appear,maybe someone is writing a book at present.
To Reiterate my earlier point I'm not trying to push Thompson as Jack,its just that the more I think about it ,whoever committed the crimes used extreme violence ,and something was fuelling this...Either hatred or Fanaticism
Theres also other little religious references that crop up from time to time, such as one witness heard a suspect say "you will say anything but your prayers" and also the chalk writing seems to have some sort of religioius reference.
I think religion is a possibility as we have seen in our recent history,religious extremists can be dangerous people.
But there again I could be totally wrong.

carl burrows
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Have some more info of interest on Francis Thompson. Pretty similar to the casebook info except more detail and poetry.

http://www.geocities.com/darkly_burning/2002.html

Paul Williams
Sergeant
Username: Wehrwulf

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The above is from a book by Richard Patterson which accuses Thompson of being Jack the Ripper. I can't find this mentioned anywhere else on the casebook. Has anyone read it and, if so, do they have any comments on the conclusions?
Thanks.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.