Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Bullers? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Barnett, Joseph » Bullers? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 969
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

I am looking for anything on 'Buller's Lodging House' New Street, Bishopsgate Street, as that is where Joseph Barnett said he spent all night at while Mary Jane Kelly was being murdered. I can't find a description of it anywhere. Can anyone help me????????

The only things I know, are that it was called: 'Mr. Buller's' by one newspaper and it was near: 'St. Katharine Dock' and apparently opposite Bishopsgate Police Station. Did it have another name?

LEANNE

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 972
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

I asked a Victorian London website if they could help me find a description of 'Buller's Lodging house', near St. Katharine Dock, and they couldn't help. It must have had another name.

LEANNE

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leanne

I'm sure I've seen it referred to as Mrs Buller's, but I can't remember where.

Robert

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 439
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LEANNE,

I reside at 24 and 25 New Street Bishopsgate which is a common lodging house. I am a labourer and have been a fish porter. I now live…”

Any help??

For what its worth St Katherines dock is not near enough Bishopsgate to be confused with the two areas.

Have you tried Bishopsgate within or Bishopsgate without ? The Station was/is in Bishopsgate without.

Monty
:-)

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 440
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LEANNE,

Just did a quick search.

New st is off Bishopsgate smack opposite Liverpool st station....underneath the 's' in Bishopstgate.

Monty
:-)

Luxy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne

Kelly's 1873 Directory mentions a Buller's Row in London

Regards

Luxy

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 975
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Monty,

I took "24 and 25 New Street Bishopsgate", to mean "24 and 25, on the corner of New Street and Bishopsgate Street". Mr. or Mrs. Buller may have just been the name of the keeper, at that time.

LEANNE

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

This is New Street, on the 1894 map. Bishopsgate Police Station is in Blue. And I drew a red line from New Street(on the left) to Dorset Street. A walk of about 3 to 4 minutes.

Rob

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 976
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Rob,

That's exactly where Bruce Paley placed Buller's on his 1862 map: near a fire station, a school, 'Artillery Lane','Widegate Street', 'Bells Lane'.

'St. Katharine Dock' and the 'East India Depot'
must have moved before 1894, because the 1862 map has it between the Police station and the Jew's Free School. I know, I'll try to post the map here.

LEANNE

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leanne

If you look at the bottom of Paley's map (underneath the number 3), there is the more well known 'St Katharine Dock'. This is probably the one your searches have been turning up.

Rob

Alan Sharp
Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 206
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne,

It's quite common in Britain even today for an address to contain the name of the nearest major road as well as the road in which the building itself stands. My own address in Dublin contains the name of a road over a hundred yards away. I would assume that was the meaning of "New Street, Bishopsgate".

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 977
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Rob,

Now I see it! So why are the words: 'E INDIA DEPOT' and: 'KATHARINE....DOCK' near Paley's number 12(Buller's)?

St. Katherine Dock has a website, should I ask them if they know anything about Victorian London history?

You obviously have Bruce Paley's map. I'm glad because I'm having trouble posting it here.

LEANNE

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 978
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

I was told to search through Charles Booth's notes, and the 'Guildhall library' Website.

LEANNE

Alexander Chisholm
Sergeant
Username: Alex

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leanne

I think what Paley’s map shows (beneath and to the right of the No. 12 indicating New Street) is the “E India Depot” and “St. Katharine Dock Co.” warehouses.

In the 1880 OS map of the district this area is labelled “Warehouses (London & St. Katharine Docks Co.)”

Warehouses

Best Wishes
alex

(Message edited by alex on December 02, 2003)

Peter R. A. Birchwood
Sergeant
Username: Pbirchwood

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 1891 Census shows at 23 New Street William B. Buller, 46 a wood turner born St Giles London, his wife Eliza, 40 born St Giles and their children:Lilly, 21 Fanny 19, Florence 15, William 13, Harriet 11, Maria 9, Arthur 7, Violet unclear. The lodging house at 24/25 New Street next door had at the time of the census had 89 persons resident.

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

This is the detail from Paley's map, and it shows clearly the warehouses Alexander mentions above.

Rob

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 453
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Leanne, Monty et al.:

Monty wrote: "For what its worth St Katherines dock is not near enough Bishopsgate to be confused with the two areas."

I think it should be clear by now from the maps that have been kindly posted by Alex and Rob that the reference is to warehouses owned by the 'London and St. Katharines Dock Co.' and the 'East India Depot' not to the docks themselves. That is, presumably goods that came in at the docks to the south of the warehouses were transported to these buildings for transhipment elsewhere.

Best regards

Chris George

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 979
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

I wonder if Buller's could have been a workhouse?

LEANNE

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 454
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Leanne

A workhouse was an official designation given to a local authority and any workhouse would have been clearly known by that term. The dosshouses or common lodging houses though were, I believe I am correct in saying, privately run, and that seems to have been the category in which Buller's establishment fell.

Best regards

Chris

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Chris,

Thomas Schacher has kindly typed the complete list on London's lodging houses at the time, on the current Joseph Barnett board below. 'Buller's' is not on this list, neither is 'New Street' or Bishopsgate Street'. I was wondering if this points to it merely being unregistered?

LEANNE

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Chris,

Here's a link to that list of London's lodging houses, plus some info on them:
http://www.gendocs.demon.co.uk/lodging.html

LEANNE

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

Reading up on Common Lodging Houses such as 'Buller's' I find that each sleeping compartment was 8ft x 4ft x 6ft; consisted of a bed, chair and a locker (with it's own, unique key) and was enclosed by it's own, locked door.

I really don't think anyone could have proved that Joseph Barnett stayed asleep in one of these compartments from midnight to breakfast.

LEANNE

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.