Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through November 19, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Stephenson, Roslyn Donston » Date of death » Archive through November 19, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 551
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of the unknowns about R D Stephenson is the date of his death.
In the course of some research I was doing for another thread (the Crowley/Ripper connection) I came across this comment.

"There is yet another story worth mentioning. When the writer Bernard O'Donnell was doing an interview with Aleister Crowley in the thirties (15) he learned that the Great Beast actually knew Robert Donston Stephenson before he had died in 1912."

Needless to say I will be following this up!!
If the date of birth we have for Stephenson, 1841, is correct, this means he would have died at the age of 71.

Chris

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 552
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should have added that the above comment is taken from an article called
~ JACK THE RIPPER ~
A Biographical Sketch of a Friend & Acquaintance of Aleister Crowley

which can be read in full at

http://www.redflame93.com/JacktheRipper.html

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 553
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding O'Donnell who interviewed Crowley re Stephenson, apparently he was the crime reporter for the Empire News.
CS

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris:

I wonder if the person behind the webpage on Crowley at http://www.redflame93.com/JacktheRipper.html,
or else O'Donnell, has confused Stephenson with William Stead, also mentioned on the webpage, who we certainly know died aboard S.S. Titanic when it sank on April 12, 1912? As far as I know, no one has come up with a date of death for Stephenson, and that includes authors Melvin Harris and Ivor Edwards.

All the best

Chris

John Savage
Detective Sergeant
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris Scott

I had a quick look through the death registers for 1911 & 1912 also first quarter of 1913, and I am afraid I could find no likely candidate.

However I did come across an entry in the 1911 register for one William Donston, age 70, died Edmonton, 3a 257.

Probably not the same person, but I thought it might be worth a mention.

Regards,
John Savage

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 577
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John
Thanks for that - the problem with both Stephenson and Ostrog in trying to trace date of death is knowning what name they were using at the time of death. Just from the census data for Stepehnson we have him using the names Stephenson, Donston, D'Ouston and D'Oustan. With Ostrog and his twenty plus aliases the problem is even more complex.
Thanks again for checking
Chris

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 715
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am glad to announce that I have finally been able to verify that Roslyn Stephenson's date of death is 1916. His death was registed in the last quarter (Oct-Dec) of 1916 under the name of Roslyn D'Ouston, aged 76 at Islington (Volume 1b, page 189)

The section of the page showing his death and verification of the quarter and year are posted below:

dondeath

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

Stunning work.....this aint no Antonio is it ??

Monty
:-)

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 716
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Definitely not!!:-)
The genuine article
Chris

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 373
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

Good lad. You have a talent my friend...you should charge !!

Monty
:-)

David Knott
Police Constable
Username: Dknott

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

I know that a lot of people have spent a lot of time trying to find this. Congratulations and well done, and many thanks for sharing all of your finds with us!

David

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, congratulations! Am I wrong, or was this one of the big five things you recently said you'd most like to accomplish? Well, you have!

Magic!

Robert

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 717
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
Yes you're right- it was one of the things on my "wish list" - now my sights are set on finding the date of Ostrog's death:-)
Could be a long night!!!
All the best
Chris

Kevin Braun
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kbraun

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Another great find. Can any more information be gleaned from Vol. 1 b, Page 189? Roslyn Stephenson may have been a guest of the London Fever Hospital (1801-1975).
Congratulations!

Take care,
Kevin

Andy and Sue Parlour
Detective Sergeant
Username: Tenbells

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well Done Chris Scott!

Although Sue and I have never researched Stephenson he is nonetheless a viable suspect.

If it was Islington where he died, perhaps the local library will have a list of burials for the local cemeteries. It would be nice to find a marker or stone over a grave.

The problem with us is that living in the wilds of Essex we do not get up to London enough!

A&S

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 718
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
I have ordered today a copy of his death certificate so will know an exact date and more details then
I will post when I receive it - they say it should be about 4 days
all the best
Chris

John Savage
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Congratulations on a great find. In my experience, when ordering a death certificate from the General Register Office, it can take about two weeks, but still worth the wait.

Well Done

Erin Sigler
Detective Sergeant
Username: Rapunzel676

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, you're a genius! What a find!

Severn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great discovery Chris and Many thanks for sharing it with us.Natalie

Brad McGinnis
Detective Sergeant
Username: Brad

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kudos Chris! You never fail to amaze me with your solid research. This is a loose end that has been bugging people for years. Thank you!
Brad

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Chris:

Excellent news that you have identified Roslyn D'Onston's date of death. Now if we can find out what he was up to in his last years. . . But this is a great step forward. Congratulations, Chris.

All the best

Chris

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 719
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys
Thanks for all the comments - just glad I was able to fill in a small piece of a large puzzle!
All the best
Chris S

John Savage
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Whilst in the library today I thought to check out the National Probate Calendars to see if Donston had left a will. I searched under donston, douston, d'onston, stevenson and stephenson, but found nothing.

However I did come across the attached snippet, which may be a relative, as there is a conection with seed crushing. Perhaps I should explain that Beverley is about 6 miles from Hull where donston was born.

stevenson

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2890
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some excellent research on this thread, good job Chris et al.!
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 720
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John
The version of the name on the index was D'Ouston - might be worth earching under that
All the best
Chris

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.