Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Jack Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » Jack « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Liz Metal
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I'm Liz and though I have been very interested in the Ripper Case for a while now, I recently decided to do an essay on the case. It's a school project and I have to write it in a journal form. I've decided to be a prostitute during the rash of murders.
One of my favorites bands wrote 2 songs about Jack the Ripper (both entitled "Jack"). In the song on their album, 'Horror Show', it protrays Jack as a bastard son whose mother was a harlett. Is there any proof of this? Thanks for any help.

Donald Souden
Sergeant
Username: Supe

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liz,

No proof that Jack's mother was a harlot, but then there is no proof that she wasn't -- or any proof worthy of the word about anything concerning Jack aside from his obviously being alive in London in the fall of 1888. Anyway, no real help to you but it is interesting the hold the Ripper legend has on popular culture. Don't know the songs you referred to, but back in the 1960s an American band -- Link Wray and the Raymen -- had a popular rock song called "Jack the Ripper."

Check some of the offerings on this site, though, and you will be bound to find worthwhile information for your school project. There is no better place to go.

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Liz

We can't say anything for sure, but a fair number of serial killers had weak or absent fathers and mothers they resented for one reason or another. Promiscuity amongst the mothers was sometimes the case.

You're getting into the area of serial killer profiling here and it is hard to do much more than state generalizations.

As far as the prostitutes during the Ripper scare are concerned, I would keep in mind that many had to resort to prostitution as a last resort to keep from starving. Many were abandoned by their husbands and in the case of the Ripper victims, alcohol abuse on the part of the women was a common factor. Many of the prostitutes during the Ripper scare were highly resentful of the fact that more was not done about the social conditions which made them vulnerable to a street predator. I suspect I am writing your paper for you so I had better stop and let you use your own imagination as to what the women must have felt.

All The Best
Gary

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.