Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Sickert's third wife Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Sickert, Walter » Sickert's third wife « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Opal Elaine Moyer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for information about Sickert's third wife Therese Lessore. Does anyone know of her backround? I have been searching for a bio on her and have found nothing. Has anyone in their readings or research of Sickert found any information about her, other than that she had been his student? I would appreciate anything that anyone could give me; I am coming up blank.
Thank you.

Karen Bain
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
have just had a brief look don't know if any of this helps but I have foud a few things. Some of them you may know but here goes anyway!

Therese lessore born 1884, died 1945 you can find a lot of her art online covering her whole life.
Her Grandfather was Emile Lessore very famous freehand decorator for Wedgewood Potteries.
Father was Jules Lessore who also painted pottery but primarily he was an Artist.

Sister was Loiuse Powell.She married Alfred Powell (Powell family owned the famous Glassworks at Whitefriars,London)1906 they had a studio at 20 Red Lion Square,Bloomsbury,London.

Therese first husband was Bernard William Audenay (1876-1966)who was a leading member of the Bloomsbury group and a major Slade Artist.He taught at the Central School of Arts.

I have been looking for more info on Therese herself but can find no Biography. Hopefully some of this might lead you somewhere.

Bye for now,

Karen

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 540
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Opal
Here is a pic of Sickert and Therese taken about 1940
Hope this helps
Chris

therese

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 541
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

and another from the same periodtheres2

Opal Elaine Small (Moyer)
Police Constable
Username: Bonedigger

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone for the information and pics; they are very helpful. I found it peculiar that Patricia Cornwell made so little mention of her in her book. I was a little suspicious that she might have been the daughter of Annie Crook, under another name (adopted or just changed it). The information in Karen's posting would show otherwise. So, I'm still looking for Alice Crook.
Thanks; I appreciate it.
Bonedigger

Dark_Intent
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A little while after the original post, but some more info on Therese Lessore.

Despite the families French background, Theresse Lessore herself, was born in Brighton, England in 1884. Her great grandfather was Emile Lessore, the Wedgwood free hand decorator and her grandfather Jules was a painter.

Her sister, Louise, was well known, illuminating some of William Morris’ incomplete work, and extending her interests to decorative designs and the painting of furniture for Ernest Grimson.

Lessore and her sister were involved with the Bloomsbury set and Therese's first husband Bernard Adeney another painter, was a part of this group as was her second husband Sickert.

Therese who was an accomplished impressionist painter in her own right, married Sickert in 1926. Sickert had always led a peripatetic existence and this continued after their marriage, although a good deal of Therese's work can be found in the Brighton area.

Sickert had spent time in Bath (1916 - 1919) and in 1938 he and Lessore settled there, moving into
St George's Hill House, in nearby Bathampton. A number of photographs exist of them at this location.

Both Sickert and Lessore painted a large number of views of Bath and both have an association with the Victoria Art Gallery in Bath, which has staged a number of separate exhibitions of their work. Sickert taught at Bath Art School once a week from 1939 until shortly before his death in 1942.

Lessore survived Sickert by three years and both are buried in the same grave in the churchyard of St Nicholas' Bathampton.

The following picture by Walter Richard Sickert is entitled 'Portrait of a Woman' and is believed to be Therese Lessore. Circa 1930.

Portrait of a Woman

DARK_INTENT
Police Constable
Username: Dark_intent

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Minor c*ck-up in my last post. Should read:

'Her grandfather was Emile Lessore, the Wedgwood free hand decorator and her father Jules was a painter.' as in the earlier post by Karen Bain

durrrrrrrrr

D_I

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.