Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Latest Books on Jack Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » Latest Books on Jack « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

j
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christopher George.
I have always trusted your opinion and admired your diligent work on Jack, finding new info,not taking sides, but being perfectly honest in a very gentlemanly way.
Please give me your opinion on the latest books available at Amazon eg" Alias Jack the Ripper, Jack the ripper Hand book, as well as reissues of previously published books - eg. The complete Jack the Ripper by P. Sugden.
Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
j

j
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whomever
Anyone with opinions on these new books would be appreciated. I cannot believe that there are so many books available now at Amazon not to mention re-issues of very good books. I don't know if I am wasting my money ordering them or what. JtR is and has always been a good read for me.
any feedback would be appreciated, thank you
j

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 330
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, J

Thanks for the accolades on what you view as my unbiased opinions, much appreciated.

Alias Jack the Ripper by R. Michael Gordon is an interesting read if you buy George Chapman (Severin Klosowski) as Mr. Jack. However, if you are not willing to go along with Gordon's gyrations to make Chapman fit the bloody mantle, the book may not be for you.

If by The Jack the Ripper Handbook you mean Ross Strachan's 1999 bibliography, the book gives a good rundown of Ripper publications but is now a bit outdated. In some ways, I prefer Alexander Kelly's bibliography in terms of the treatment of titles, although of course Kelly (rev. ed. 1995) is also somewhat obsolete in terms of up-to-date listings.

Philip Sugden's new edition is a must-have by one of the leading authorities in Ripperology.

All the best

Chris

Candy Morgan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I thought that Complete Jack the Ripper by Sugden was a wonderful overall book. I also just finished Ultimate Jack the Ripper by Evans & Skinner and it is super too. The ONLY thing I wish is that the Ultimate had more of the 'nutter letters' included in it, but other than that (and that's a very SMALL quibble considering how much information is in the book) it's really fascinating to read the day to day accounts of the investigation, and see the politics moving behind the scenes.
I have not seen the Jack the Ripper Handbook or Alias Jack the Ripper. Is Alias fiction, fact, or combination? I've been sticking with non-theory based factual books myself so far, though somewhere or other I have Harlan Ellison's Prowler in the City on the Edge of Forever, which is a great fantasy about what ended up happening to our Jacky...
Would like to hear more about the Alias and Handbook; if you order them, please share your thoughts.

me and my thoughts...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.