Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Suspects and Similar Fact evidence Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » Suspects and Similar Fact evidence « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher Lowe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 9:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am curious as to how others on these boards view the use of similar fact evidence when one is making a case for/against a particular suspect. I know it would not be accepted in court.
Is mise le meas
Christopher Lowe

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 6:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Christopher,

You are right, that similar fact evidence is rarely accepted in courts, except when it shows a
consistant pattern in crime (i.e., the Mollineux
Case rules in New York State's courts, or the
example of "system" allowed in the trial of "Brides in the Bath" Smith. However, similar fact pattern evidence is allowable on our level,
with the hope that if we are correct we might be
able find better, or more convincing evidence.
Moreover, as bringing the Ripper to trial is a
moot matter (he or she is very likely long dead
by now), the issue is not one that would daunt us
too much.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Christopher Lowe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 2:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeffrey,
I did not mean bringing JTR to trial but using similar fact evidence in this sort of way: Kelly or Bury killed their missus' with a knife therefore are good Ripper suspects. Also people involved in attacks on women while using knives.
Is mise le meas
Christopher Lowe

Jim Townsend
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi; Similar fact evidence was used to convict me of a crime I did not commit and yet the story used was impossible to be true. The police admitted they put me on trial on nothing but the word of my false accuser and they had no evidence since I was not in the area on the day chosen for the concoction, but by later getting a witness (long after I was arrested) who swore that I did the same thing, they had no chance of failing to win a conviction. Even though the "similar fact" witness changed the first fabricated story, the judge accepted it. My question of course is, why are the courts allowed to convict simply b/c two friends agreed to accuse me falsely? In Cnada, I understand that a judge is not required to decide on the truthfulness of evidence. In fact, I represented myself and have the court records. The judge stated that he was not concerned about the truthfulness of the evidence, but only the similarity of the two stories. These false stories were used to convict me in order to get an Court order against me. Can anything be done about this type of injustice or wrongful use of similar fact evidence?

Kris Stewart
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, my name is Kris Stewart and I am doing my fourth year dissertation at universtity on the injustice of similar fact evidence. I would be very interested in corresponding directly with Jim Townsend as you have first hand experience of the subject.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.