Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

William Withey Gull - A Biographical ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Gull, Sir William Withey » William Withey Gull - A Biographical Account (1896) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2745
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 8:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This biographical account of Sir William Gull was originally published in A Collection of the Published Writings of William Withey Gull, Bart., M.D., F.R.S. (1894), and was reprinted as a smaller, separate book entitled William Withey Gull - A Biographical Account two years later in 1896.

The full-text of this book is now available on the Casebook at:

http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media/rps.gull.html

(This is my first [successful] experiment with text-recognition software - I hope to turn this new technology toward some of the other rare items on my shelves in the coming months. Enjoy!)
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 9:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Stephen:

Thanks for adding this biographical account of Sir William Withey Gull to the resources available to us at "Casebook: Jack the Ripper." The site is getting better all the time! laugh

All my best

Chris

paulwithey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 6:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi im paul withey
never knew anything about one of my familie being suspected of any thing like this

Bob
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 8:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul,
Have you checked out your family tree? Yours is an unusual surname.

WendyMcCoist
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

My grandmother was Florence Gull (born around 1885) and my mother told me stories of her being related to someone in the Jack the Ripper case. She told me there was a surgeon in the family, and also a barrister, so that ties up with William Withey and his son, William C. Anyone got any info on William C and what his childrens' names were?

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 848
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 5:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wendy
In the 1891 census William C Gull is listed as follows:
Address:
10 Hyde Park Gardens, London
Head:
William C Gull aged 31 born Finsbury
Barrister at Law
Wife:
Annie C Gull aged 25 born Paddington
Children:
Mary C Gull aged 3 born Marylebone
Amy B Gull aged 2 born Marylebone

If the birth date of 1885 for Flornce Gull is correct there is only one candidate in 1891 census.

Address: 9 Mowal Street, London
Florence Gull aged 6 born Brixton. her parents were Joseph Gull, aged 38, a Solicitor's Clerk, and Charlotte Gull aged 34. She had an older brother called William who was 9 at the time of the census.
Hope this helps
Chris

Stephen Leece
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 7:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sir William Gull gets his middle name Withey from his godfather. I believe his name was Charles Withey- but don't quote me on that. I'm sure I read this in Andy and Sue Parlour's book.

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 681
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Stephen

I am sure Andy and Sue Parlour will be pleased to confirm whether you are right about the derivation of Sir William Withey Gull's middle moniker. laugh

Chris

Andy and Sue Parlour
Detective Sergeant
Username: Tenbells

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 5:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Chris & Stephen,

Yes, Sir William Gull's middle name of Withey is from his Godfather Captain Withey.

Captain Withey was a family friend and employer of William's father John Gull. John Gull was a bargemaster, he Captained the 'Dove' Captain Withey was skipper of the 'Amity'. William Withey Gull was baptised at St Leonards Church Hythe Colchester. The church was known as the 'Sailors' church. Our later research has shown that William's father John, did in fact own the 'Dove' and that he was more likely to have been contracted to Captain Withey. The main cargoes at the time from Colchester Dock were building materials, livestock, produce and cereals. This in the main was taken to London. The return payload was horse manure which was collected from London's streets (there was plenty of it)and taken to the Thames waterside for loading onto the barges to take back and unload at the many small docks along the Essex, Kent and Suffolk coasts. This served a triple purpose, it was a bonus in earnings for skipper and crew plus ballast for the barges, and fertilizer for the farmers fields.

A&S

Sophie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 7:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You all have a lot of info on this family. My great grandmother was Elizabeth Gull and she was related to Sir William Gull ... I always thought it was his Daughter but I see this is not the case ...... does anyone know where she fits in. She married William Blewett

sophie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 7:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would really like to know who Sir Williams brothers and sisters were ...... anyone know

Lyn Hotchin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 9:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Elizabeth Gull, Sir William Gull's sister, was my GG Grandmother. I would be most interested to find any other descendants of the family. There are many Gull descendants living in Australia. Sir William's direct descendant and heir, lives in South Africa .

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.