Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Ripper Study: The Multiple Intelligen... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » Ripper Study: The Multiple Intelligence Approach « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Baron von Zipper
Inspector
Username: Baron

Post Number: 300
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 3:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

Anyone who's been in education knows Gardner's theory of Multiple Intelligences. Whether one agrees wholeheartedly or not with the concept, it is not to be doubted that individuals learn in different ways.

On the casebook, there has been an attempt to keep things somewhat academic (not always successful), but not everyone learns in what we would call an academic fashion. Indeed, contrary to a lot of opinion, straight lecture is perhaps the worst way to reach a lot of different people. Lecture must at least be somewhat interactive meaning solicitous of responses in order to be effective in general. That doesn't mean that there aren't some great lecturers out there. It means, in general there aren't that many great, straight lecturers. The best use visuals, multimedia, Q and A, response questions, that sort of thing, but it still isn't enough to reach everyone or almost everyone because some don't learn unless they are doing, and others don't learn unless they are reading.

What's my point? Well, I don't know how it can be done, or at least I don't have it totally figured out, but studying Ripperology and educating others in the topic, to be most effective has to attempt to reach many different intelligences. That may include:Musical,visual/spatial,bodily/kinesthetic, Interpersonal, etc...

How is this possible? I don't know exactly, but a few things come to mind:

1. Not just looking at photos and saying what do I see, but how do I feel? How do I feel as the first person on the scene? How do I feel as the investigating officer, or the coroner? How do I feel as I'm killing the woman and where do I start my cutting? What makes me stop it? Do I hear noises? Did she cry out? Do my keyed up senses tell me it's time to go, or do my deadened senses not do a thing?

2. Use miniatures and streets maps. Move the figures around in various spots on your hand-hand-drawn map. Some of this stuff has been done in the interactive maps on this site, but you may want to do it yourself.

3. Pace off distances on real streets. See how long it takes you to get from A to B, then try it at night. Have a friend make some movements in the shadows. How close do you have to be to see him/her? Could he/she have murdered someone without your noticing?

4. Get into the victim's head. How desperate are you for money? How much gin does it take for you to not be concerned for your safety. Drink some gin and test your judgement somehow. Do this stuff with someone else. Make it into theater. Act it out. This stuff has already been done with the creative writing thread on Casebook, but it can be really used for self-discovery and not just as an outlet for creative expression.

5. Set the mood when you study, write, and self-discover. 19th century music may help your atmosphere. get together with another person and put on period clothing. Toss out some Cockney slang.

Is all this academic? No, and who cares? These are just some thoughts about how one may learn differently. It will allow anyone who has a favorite suspect to come at their theory from all feasible angles. Don't make up things to support your suspect. Be the suspect and see what creates itself. If all the things you do may create more unanswered questions, so be it. Those questions may create more scenarios in which to play.

For those of you who think this is not a serious approach to Ripperology, you are wrong. More opportunities to learn will bring more people into the fold, and hopefully open-minded people who don't spend days on end fighting over so many little things. We want those folks who get bored after the first paragraph of a dissertation, but are excited about the graphs, images, sights, smells, and sounds. The academics haven't given us so much new lately, in my opinion. Perhaps those who learn differently, or perhaps a combination of the two may work together to create some bril- liance.

Cheers

(Message edited by baron on December 02, 2005)
Mike

"La madre degli idioti è sempre incinta"

Uninvited Guest
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 2:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent ideas and why not! I think it was the late Melvyn Harris that stated, regarding a theory, that it was a "leap of imagination". Well why not, because at the end of the day there is only a minute amount of exact fact known regarding the murders of 1888 and nothing on JTR. This is why in many ways the same topics are repeatedly regurgitated over and over again. Use gut instinct and a leap of imagination and see if it takes you anywhere, the hard facts are all used up!

Uninvited Guest
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 1:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent ideas and why not! I think it was the late Melvyn Harris that stated, regarding a theory, that it was a "leap of imagination". Well why not, because at the end of the day there is only a minute amount of exact fact known regarding the murders of 1888 and nothing on JTR. This is why in many ways the same topics are repeatedly regurgitated over and over again. Use gut instinct and a leap of imagination and see if it takes you anywhere, the hard facts are all used up!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.