Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Asylum Staff Unaware that Kosminski w... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Kosminski, Aaron » Asylum Staff Unaware that Kosminski was the Ripper? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

c.d.
Sergeant
Username: Cd

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I posted this before on a related thread but it was a bit off topic and got buried. I think that it is an important question, and others have mentioned it as well, so I will post again here.

It seems that the staff at the asylum was ignorant of the fact that they were harboring (if we believe Anderson) one of the most famous criminals in history. Assuming for the sake of argument that Kosminksi was the Ripper, how likely would it be that the police would put him away in an asylum and simply forget about him? I would think that human nature would dictate that they would want to be sure that they had the right man. They would also want details of the murders to see which ones he committed and they would want to assure themselves that he acted alone without confederates who might still be at large. Wouldn't this entail a number of trips to the asylum to question Kosminski (as best they could given his condition) and to question the guards and others about his behavior or conversations/ramblings? I would think that if this were the case that somebody would wonder what Scotland Yard was doing there and start putting two and two together. I would not expect that this would be a secret that could be kept for long. Any thoughts?

c.d.

Baron von Zipper
Inspector
Username: Baron

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CD,

I think someone posted the argument that It would be next to impossible to prosecute him, and that he was put away for life, so there was no need. I don't remember where I read that... maybe a dissertation.

Sorry, man.
Mike

"La madre degli idioti è sempre incinta"

c.d.
Sergeant
Username: Cd

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 6:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,

Good to hear from you again. Yeah, you are right, they would not be able to prosecute Kosminski. The point I was trying to make however is that the desire to know, the desire to be certain, the desire for closure would be overwhelming and would necessitate a number of trips to the asylum and that somebody would start to wonder why.

c.d.

Baron von Zipper
Inspector

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 6:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CD,

It makes you wonder if just one or two people knew it was him, and just let it go because they knew he was out of reach and doomed to the asylum. I mean, if a guy is so far gone that he is a babbling idiot (maybe) by 1891, what is there to prosecute? You can't get a confession from someone like that that would hold up in court I imagine.

Cheers
Mike

David Radka
Sergeant
Username: Dradka

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 9:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The police figured he died rather soon after admission to Colney Hatch. This is apparently what his family, possibly the Ripper himself, told Anderson. Then they switched him to Leavesden to make him disappear permanently from Anderson's radar. That explains why there was no long term police interest in him. They had every reason to believe he was dead.

David M. Radka
Author: "Alternative Ripperology: Questioning the Whitechapel Murders"
Casebook Dissertations Section

Baron von Zipper
Inspector

Post Number: 158
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

I read your dissertation. It was well-done and interesting, but just as you have said that there was no evidence for Aaron committing the murders, so too is there no evidence for anyone else in the household to have done it, Aaron was the one that was mentioned, so that's who we are talking about here. Knowing that Aaron was committed is enough for me to keep him way up on my suspect list.

Cheers
Mike

David Radka
Sergeant
Username: Dradka

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 1:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,
There is plenty of evidence that someone associated with Aaron committed the murders. What about Levy? What about Duke Street? How about the cessation? A great many data points indicate either Lubnowski or Abrahams in the first sense, or some other Kosminski uncle or cousin in the second sense. You appear to be willing to deal only with direct evidence, and you are NEVER going to have the keys to the final doorway concerning this case in that sense. The Whitechapel murders are UNSOLVABLE under British empiricism.

David M. Radka
Author: "Alternative Ripperology: Questioning the Whitechapel Murders"
Casebook Dissertations Section

jason_connachan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 3:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Yeah, you are right, they would not be able to prosecute Kosminski. The point I was trying to make however is that the desire to know, the desire to be certain, the desire for closure would be overwhelming and would necessitate a number of trips to the asylum and that somebody would start to wonder why."

c.d.

They only suspected Kosminski of the crimes. He was probably one of many who were possibly the killer. Suspicions may have been strong enough for the police to keep him under surveillance. Only as the years passed and no further killings took place, did these suspicions become fact.

After a time, the crime would be seen as a "cold case". This may be the reason for police not visiting Kosminski.

btw, i use the term "fact" in the loosest possible way.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.