Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Jack a Zulu war veteran? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » Jack a Zulu war veteran? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gareth W
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 6:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On hearing a set of questions about Zulu chieftains on tonight's "University Challenge" (BBC2) I was struck by a compelling thought. A descendant of a Zulu War (South Wales Borderers) soldier myself, I have always taken a keen interest in the Boer Wars. As I watched the quiz show, I was reminded of the horrific stories of how Zulus would rip open the stomachs of British troops with their spears. These acts are well-attested, and stem from a Zulu belief that the soul's passage into the next world would be ensured by cutting open the abdomen.

Hence disembowellment was undertaken as a mark of respect to the Zulus' fallen enemies, although the British soldiers naturally saw this as an act of extreme barbarism and many must have been traumatised at what they saw. Indeed, the few that escaped the slaughter of Isandhlwana, and those who arrived there after the battle, must have been particularly repulsed at seeing thousands of their comrades butchered in this manner.

It's worth noting that the last major battle of the Zulu War was fought against the Zulus at Ulundi in 1879. The British maintained a presence in Natal until 1881/2, when they largely withdrew in the face of Boer resistance.

Now, as if you hadn't guessed, it occurred to me that a soldier - serving, demobbed or dismissed - who fought for the Brits in the Zulu War could have been severely traumatised by witnessing the mass disembowellment of his colleagues. If this trauma sublimated itself into a general desire to disembowel, we may have the germ of the motive that would eventually inspire the Whitechapel Murderer.

It's not only the triggering stimulus that may fit in with the MO. Consider that the timing was right - early 1880s - for an idee fixe to fester in the ensuing years. The likely age of Boer War veteran would be about right also - late 20s to mid 30s - to match witness descriptions of the Ripper. Strength, stealth and fleetness of foot would also be all of a piece with one accustomed to the rigours of soldiery.

This is clearly speculative, however I make no apology for suggesting that any army hospital or discharge records for soldiers serving in Natal in the late 1870s/early 1880s might prove of some interest to us, particularly if they reveal evidence of mental breakdown or similar abnormalities of mind. Has anyone undertaken such research?

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 389
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 6:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Gareth,

While I was researching my book the very same idea came to me.

In the appendix I wonder if the weapon used by JTR couldn't have been the head of an assegai.

Bob Hinton

Spiro
Sergeant
Username: Auspirograph

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 7:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gareth, Bob,

I have enjoyed both your comments and research here and elsewhere so thanks for that.

You may also be interested in an article by Eduardo Zinna, European "Ripperologist" editor, on Casebook's dissertations section.

The article is titled "Out of Africa" and explores to possibility of a Zulu flavour to the Whitechapel crimes.

http://casebook.org/dissertations/dst-africa.html

There does indeed appear to be a similarity between Zulu practices with the mutilations that is not easily explained.

I understand that other exotic murder and ritual sacrifice practices were also considered by the police at the time especially in connection to shipping movements along the docks. Sailors who brought foreign ideas and cultural practices into the East End streets were amongst the many suspects interrogated.

Regards
Spiro

Alan Hunt
Sergeant
Username: Mews

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 4:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hallo
having traveled to South Africa and visited Isandhwana on a tour the guide told us that as part of the zulu slashing the warrior would also remove the gall bladder and drink the bile from it to imbibe himself with the dead mans energy!
there is also evidence that it was done while the victim was alive as a couple of the 12 drummerboys present in the camp were strung up on a meat wagon, disemboweled and had there gall bladder drunk!
As for the notion of a zulu war veteran as a suspect, a good many men were severly affected by the experience and some resorted to suicide in later years. one, private William henry Camp of the 2nd battalion 24th, was invalided out of the army in 1881 wuth what was described by the medical board as "Melancholia- hereditory aggravated by severe shock and masturbation"
i mention him because he was described at his board as 5 ft 81/2 inch tall,sallow complexion, hazel eyes, dark brown hair and was born and lived in camberwell s.e.london. Also at the time of the murders he was missing from his home and thought to be of unsound mind!

oh no not another bloody suspect!!!!

Alan

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 840
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 8:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here in the United States there was a sadly disturbed young veteran of the Viet Nam war who got up in a tower in Texas and fired down on the people on the ground, killing several.

Vincent
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 3:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana, if you are referring to Charles Whitman, he killed well over a dozen people. But he never served in Vietnam.

Regards, Vincent

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.