Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky Holds the... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky Holds the truth « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike the Mauler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay,

I have successfully translated Carroll's poem, and believe it was written in code to another poet, probably Francis Thompson. Here's what I've come up with:

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought -
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

(The Real Message)
It was evening, and the gathered, male friends,
Did drink and sup in the tavern:
Drunk were the lads,
And the local riffraff was irritated.

"Beware the whore, my son!
Her false kisses, and hands that pilfer,
Beware the painted tart, and shun
her malodorous Bandersnatch (no need for translation)

He took his sharp knife
And sought a ripe trollop.
So rested he by the gaslight,
And contemplated his prey

And as in heightened thought he stood,
The lusty-eyed whore,
Came sauntering up to the petrified man,
And belched as she came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The trusty knife slashed and cut!
He left her dead, letting her keep her head
He stealthily walked back to his friend.

And hast thou slain the whore?
Give me a hug, mate!
What a great day! Huzzah! Hurrah!
He chortled in his joy.

It was evening, and the gathered, male friends,
Did drink and sup in the tavern:
Drunk were the lads,
And the local riffraff was irritated

This is obviously an ode to his friend's achievments on the streets of Whitechapel. As you can see, this must be the clue everyone's been looking for, or... I'm having some fun. You be the judge

Yours truly,

Mike the Mauler

S.Ryan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings Mike,
You would not believe how coincidental your timing is.This is for real. I am currently putting a report together regarding some startling new evidence I have come across on Mary Kelly. One of the prime suspects I could only attach this evidence to is Francis Thompson. This was only after I went in search of possible links.
If you check the message boards on him you will notice I posted the last message a few weeks ago.It went unanswered. I begged for someone out there to explain the lack of interest in F. Thompson. It was unfathomable to me why this man is so underated when what he has going for him.
* BEFORE the murders he writes a poem about a man who goes round in the night disembowelling whores.
* He is a master at writing letters.
* HA HA HA HA frequent in his work.
* right age.
* matches witness reports.
* he is a lefty.
* failed at medical school 3 times.
* was in Whitechapel looking for pro at time of murders.
* each of 5 murders were commited on holy saint days of his religion.

Anyway. I would like to hear your thoughts on him. Also, did he actually know Carrol - I would like to know.

Mike the Mauler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 1:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

S,
It is not documented that he was looking for a prostitute. It is conjecture. We do know that he was living in London from 1885-1888 when someone picked him up from the gutter, so to speak.

If it can be concluded that he was seeking a prostitute, and for reasons of revenge or some such thing, I would include him as a viable suspect.

As far as the murders on saints' days, every day is pretty much a saint day, especially for someone who must have studied quite a bit about them during his days in the seminary. There are about a zillion saints after all, and each has their day. I have no doubt that the saint days are merely coincidence.

I would suspect that had he known Carroll, it would have been after 1898 when he became somehwat famous. Now, is it possible that Carroll slummed it a few times in Whitechapel? I suppose anything's possible. Personally, I don't believe he would have had the opportunity to meet Carroll. My post was more of an attempt to be funny.

He was a drug addict, and was in poor health. That does leave some doubts about his physical condition and the constitution required to strangle and slaughter women.

My thinking is that the murderer had to be charming in a sociopathic way. He had to be able to convince them that he had the money and was nice enough that they would go to a dark area with him to do their thing. If they are drinking a lot, less charm is needed obviously.

I look at Gacy, Chikatilo, Bundy, Fish, and others and I see the pattern of sincerity. The victims wanted to believe them, or had no reason not to believe them.

People from all walks of life have that sort of charm, so it is not confined to artists and poets.

Thompson is as good a suspect as most others, is my conclusion.

Cheers,

Mike

Squibby
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a spoof? Please tell me it's a v ery early April Fool? Isn't this supposed to be a serious Ripper Forum? Not so long ago one poster theorised JTR was a werewolf...

Baron von Zipper
Inspector
Username: Baron

Post Number: 261
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 4:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Squibby,

The poem was a spoof.
Mike

"La madre degli idioti è sempre incinta"

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.