Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

From Hell Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Gull, Sir William Withey » From Hell « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Hindmarsh
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 2:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been intrested in the ripper for a long time.Last night i watched From hell again. The first
time i watched it i was not impressed,however i gave it another go and i think it is poor.I would be intrested to know what other people make of it.

Col. Edward
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 2:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too was unsure of the movie at first viewing having been an avid Ripperologist since a young lad.
But remembering that all movies be it a World war 2 epic or a rock revival film like The doors, are made by Directors and writers that are them selves artists so license is rampant.
I do however feel the core of From hells story (that which is a cover up of a royal affair that turns into a sickly spate of murders by accomplicies in a carrige)
That is simple but very possibly the case.
So in some ways I find From Hell refreshing in the Ripper movie catalog (there is a few).
As the romantic idea of one sole dapper killer moving around the streets and moving his victims from murder point too reasting place and all in silence is just not what happened.
Watch it again but by pass Johnny and the drugs and the visions and just concentrate on their theory - its not that bad

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 765
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 1:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why the carriage?

I raised this in another thread.

Where is the evidence one was present near any murder scene - heard or visible?

I assume you are in the "toff" school then - did he wear a top hat and carry a Gladstone bag?

Phil

Edited for spelling

(Message edited by Phil on August 30, 2005)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4902
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 6:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe the carriage wore rubber-soled wheels.

Robert

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 777
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And was pulled by a rubber-shoed horse!!

David O'Flaherty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 2:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Huh-huh. I suppose it's just coincidence that Drive My Car is the first track on Rubber Soul? The Beatles knew, man. They knew.

Dave

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 4:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Paul relayed it from the afterlife. John wouldn't go along with "Drive My Carriage", though.

Stan

AlanBear
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Sister Undertook Her Training To Become A Doctor In The Royal London Hospital Whitechapel In The Late '60's

She Lived In A House In Cavell Street, Nr Whitechapel Road And Not Far From Buck's Row.

I Frequently Visited My Sister And Was Fascinated Then And Now About 'Jack The Ripper'

I Frequented A Public House In Commercial Road Named 'The Lord Rodney'

There I Had Conversations With An Elderly Man Who Told Me Stories Which Had Been Passed Down By His Family.

He Said That JTR Was No More A Doctor Than You And Me And That At The Present Time Nobody Really Knew What Was Happening.

Whoever JTR Was He Looked Meek And Inoffensive And Was Known To The Ladies.

There Was No Way That They Would Have Gone To An Area With Dark Surroundings If They Didn't Trust Him Or If He'd Looked Dangerous Or Demented.

From What He'd Been Told JTR Was A Nobody:

Just An Ordinary Person With A Time Bomb In Him Waiting To Explode.

My Uncle Was A Physchiatrist In Springfield Hospital In Tooting Beck:

He Told Me That It Was Possible That JTR Suffered From Fugue That He Was Not Really Aware That He Had Committed These Crimes And That After Mary Kelly This Part Of His Life Was Unknown To Him.

Now Is This Possible?

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 789
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 4:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As to the last part of your post, I await knowledgable medical responses.

As to the former, what does it constitute but one man's opinion. Even an old man now is at nearest two generations from 1888 = long enough for oral history to be perverted. In 1960, the man could have been a boy in, or soon after 1888 - but we know nothing of him.

So it must just stand as an assertion, no more, no less.

Phil

Edited for spelling

(Message edited by Phil on September 01, 2005)

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 873
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AlanBear,

Fugue is another one of those mental health conditions that was a fad diagnosis in the past but many experts believe really has no basis in fact. It was quite popular in Victorian times and appears to largely be examples of people who wanted to get away for a while concocting excuses. Real psychiatric conditions don't just come in waves like that.

Another example, in case you wanted one, is the whole concept of multiple personalities. That had a huge explosion of diagnoses in the latter part of the 20th century and seems to be more a social phenomenon than a mental health issue.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.