Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

MYSTICAL VAMPIRE- The life of Mabel ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Stephenson, Roslyn Donston » MYSTICAL VAMPIRE- The life of Mabel Collins « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 687
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From 2000........

"Author: Kim Farnell
Friday, 29 September 2000 - 05:35 am
I'm currently researching the life of Mabel Collins with a view towards writing her biography. I've read Crowley's Confessions and Melvin Harris' work, which have provided much information. As many people here appear to have conducted their own research into the Ripper case, I'm hoping that someone may have come across information about Mabel that they haven't shared as it isn't directly relevant to the Ripper. I'd be exceedingly grateful to hear from anyone who can offer any help.
Best,

Kim

The Mystical Vampire, by Ms. Kim Farnell

Mandrake Press,2005 236 pages [ and heavily footnoted for source material ]

Ms.Farnell, who as we see, once posted here way back on Casebook, in September of 2000, has written a fine book on a fine figure of a woman, Mabel Collins. She was born Minna Mabel Collins in Guernsey,Channel Islands. She is also reputed to have been the paramour of Robert Donston Stephenson, who some believe was Jack The Ripper.

Mrs. Collins wrote 46 books,numerous articles,and was a fashion correspondent for The World. Not bad for a woman who never went to school,formally. Her father,Mortimer Collings,when not out carousing,taught her at home. Collings eventually became Collins.

Born in 1851, Mrs. Collins was at least 1/4 Russian [ her Mother's father,a William Hubbard,was of Russian extraction]... His profession was merchant/banker. Her mother, Susanna Crump,married Mortimer,fully 19 years her junior in 1850.

Mabel’s home life started off well,but soon became no picnic due to the rambling nature of her father,who appears to have spent more time entertaining friends than paying attention to the family. In 1867,at the age of 59,Mabel’s mother died.

Not being “up” on Theosophy,I felt it would be better to not so much critique Ms. Farnell’s book,but to present facts she documents and ideas she poses within her book. She is to be commended for providing the 24 pages of reference sources and 41 pages of footnotes that she has in Mystical Vampire.

The title,Mystical Vampire, pertains to the description that Helena Blavatsky gave to Mabel Collins and the Keightley Bros.,Archibald and Bertram, in a correspondence to Vera Zhelihovsky in 1887. The 250 pound Guru exclaimed, “I grumble at them and I drive them away...I shut myself off from all these mystical vampires...who suck all the moral strength out of me-no ! ...all the same,they rush to me like flies to honey.” Collins was just as unkind to Blavatsky,upon the death of HPB in 1891 with a scathing obituary in The Sunday World. In fact,much of Ms. Farnell’s book details the inordinate “in-fighting” and ladder climbing of the Theosophical community. These Theosophists make Ripperologists look like a well-coordinated cadre in comparison. Theosophy,by the way,is a term from the Greek,meaing, “knowledge of the divine”. The objectives of the Theosophists were study the collected religious beliefs,unexplained laws of nature and the latent powers in man and utilize them.

Mortimer Collins family was involved with the Plymouth Brethren, a strict religious order. So were Aleister Crowley’s,Alan Leo's,the astrologer who wrote 1001 Notable Nativities,and Sir Robert Anderson’s families once involved with the Brethren. Mabel was indoctrinated in her youth by her grandmother,a rigid Plymouth Brethren member. Mabel didn’t have fond memories of her grandmother’s fire and brimstone rhetoric at home. Perhaps it was one factor that persuaded Mabel to marry K.Robert Cook,in 1871 at the age of 19. Cook was an influence on Mabel’s career as a spiritualist. In any event,Mabel’s father seems to have encouraged Mabel to marry young,possibly since Mabels’ mother died in 1867 andas her father remarried one year later, Mabel may have become a “fifth wheel” to Mortimer Collins.

Mabel wrote her first article for Frazer’s Magazine at the age of 19.
Mabel had a disdain for the newly invented fountain pen,preferring to write with quill.
Mabel’s first novel was “An Innocent Sinner”,written in 1877.
The fact that Mabel’s work eclipsed her husband’s may have contributed to the dissolution of their marriage 9 years later. According to John Sutherland’s book,the Longman Companion To Victorian Literature,1988,Longman,London, K.R. Cook may have gone mad as well.
Mabel began to get involved with seances and was considered a “powerful trance” medium in 1873. Although she wrote privately about the danger of conjuring up spooks,she convinced one woman who had lost a daughter,that she,Mabel,had made contact with her on the other side.
In 1906,Mabel wrote that during the 1870's,she began to leave her body regularly to discover truth. She stated that she was ‘led by the hand [ in her astral body,of course ] to a hall of learning where she saw jewels and writing”..which was the basis of the eventual text of Light On The Path,her famous Theosophical work.
During her marriage with Cook, who died in 1886,[as did Mabel’s step-Mother,Frances], Mabel seems to have left her body numerous times.

Of particular significance in the book are the remarks on page 47,regarding Mabel’s nervous breakdown[s]. Some question her state of mind during the formation of Light On The Path. It may be noteworthy to remember that Mabel was just recuperating from a nervous breakdown around the time she met Robert Stephenson,who himself was a recently discharged patient from London Hospital for chloralism in 1889. Could Mabel,who initiated the liason with RDS,fled from Stephenson more so,due to her fragile mental state,and not from real and tangible evidence[ to her] that RDS may have been the Ripper? I think that her mental state is worth contemplating in thismatter. The subsequent scandals [ for Tantrism,with the Keightley Bros..Tantrism is not specifically defined here,but may refer to fellatio or black arts based on unorthodox sexual practices.] initiated by the gargantuan guru,Blavatsky,did cause Mabel to suffer a nervous breakdown,leaving her bed-ridden for 4 months.An example of this mental state may be found in the claim of Collins who stated that in the year 1893,she spent most of the time out of her body..

"Spiritualism" [ a subject Collins was interested in ] began in 1848,more or less,and emanated from the Fox Sisters,Kate and Margaret. These two New York ladies admitted years later that the “knocking noises” they heard that created the field of spiritualism were fake,fake,fake. Yet this field was embraced by those on the [then ] fringe of Victorian society,as was vegetarianism,anti-vivisectionism,and women’s rights.

Most of the material that discusses the relationship of Collins/Cremers and Stephenson is basically what we have already heard. Ms.Farnell does do a nice job trying to stick to the facts or at least,not deviating into speculation. Two things that stand out in this section are:

1. Stephenson did NOT bankrupt Collins and Cremers. Mabel went bankrupt in November 1892,because of the “cheap books movement”which had started to flood the American market, a definite source of income for Collins and all other English authors...The ‘cheap books movement’ created a scenario where authors were not guaranteed any profit from their work. Changes were made,naturally,but Mabel’s works were written before the changes were made. After the hearing on this bankruptcy [ November 5th, at Wandsworth Court ] appeared in the Pall Mall Gazette on November 8th,1892, Mabel Collins was listed as a widower of no occupation living in Wandsworth,SW London,at 65 Alma Road.
Collins and Cremers pulled out of the Pompadour Cosmetic Co, before RDS had the chance to bleed them dry.

2. According to the book, Stephenson adopted a boy,by the name of Harman Wheas,a boy of six.
This occurred,according to the book on page 115, sometime after RDS’s alliance with Victoria Woodhull and before the 1901 census,where Sudden Death is listed as a widower.
This adoption presents some rather intriguing possibilities.
1. Did RDS remarry and “adopt” the boy,after the death of the boy’s mother ?
Its almost unimaginable that Stephenson would or even could adopt a child considering the man didn’t have a regular steady income.
D'onston As Dad ? Is it possible that Stephenson had a soft,paternal side to him we never knew?

In conclusion, I recommend the book to one and all whom have an interest in Victorian society,for the off-beat origins of many institutions that are influential on our lives today. More than a few ideas found within Mystical Vampire,such as the possibility of Annie Besant and Helena Blavatsky being more than just friends, make the book a good investment.

One suggestion [ with good intent ] is that a chronology in future editions would make it easier for the reader and half-wit critic [me] to collate the facts and events in this most extraordinary woman’s life. In the year 1889 alone,it was requisite to go back and forth many times in order to determine Collins’ movements,which in that year alone,are remarkable. A nervous breakdown,trip to Africa,contact with Stephenson,etc..

For the Ripperologist,the two [ and there may be other gems in there,so buy it ! ] items I mentioned on Collins/Stephenson are worth the price of the book alone. Few books [ Sugden,Begg and Evans come to mind ] are as well referenced and footnoted as this one. Ms. Farnell has done an excellent job on her subject, Minna Mabel Collins...
Ms.Farnell is a professional astrologer and writer,who is also a contributor to the scholarly journal,Theosophical History. Among her other works is a biography of the astrologer,Sepharial.

H.Brown July 10th,2005
HowBrown

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 690
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 7:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ms.Farnell took the time to kindly inform me that the Keightley's were not brothers, but Uncle and nephew.

Ms. Farnell also provided me [ a big hug from Big Fats ]..with something of some real importance.

Thats going on the next thread...Stephenson And Son

If you're reading this,Ms.Farnell....thanks very much !

auspirograph
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 1:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

Thanks for the info on Ms Farrell's book on Mabel Collins.

There are a few points here that I'd like to comment on. Ms Farrell is a respected astrologer and an associate of the London Branch of the Theosophical Society. Her book is based on a paper originally presented at the London Theosophical History Conference in June 2003

Her work on the life of Mabel Collins is an attempt to clarify the role Collins played in the early establishment of the Blavatsky Lodge
in 1887. Sometime late 1888 and early 1889, Collins' relationship with Blavatsky ruptured and splintered the original London Lodge. This
exploded into what is known as the Cous-Collins affair that Ms Farrell is now trying to explain in revisionist terms though I don't doubt her sincere interest in Mabel's exceptional life.

Mabel Collins was henceforth demonised and this book does her no favours. Mabel Collins did not suffer a nervous breakdown as is suggested and her
wits and intelligence flourished the rest of her life though her constitution was delicate and at times ill.

What has this to do with the Whitechapel murders? Nothing, except that any association with the highly publicized murders could potentially
discredit anyone who had any links. Someone like Mabel Collins.

The true mystery here is why Melvin Harris chose to expand on a myth he knew was shaky in it's foundation only to be perpetuated by Mr Edwards to
future generations.

Ms Farrel is not to blame if her main sources for
the Ripper story within the Theosophical Society of 1888 was gleaned from these two authors who should know better.

Spiro
auspirograph@yahoo.com

auspirograph
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 1:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

Thanks for the info on Ms Farrell's book on Mabel Collins.

There are a few points here that I'd like to comment on. Ms Farrell is a respected astrologer and an associate of the London Branch of the Theosophical Society. Her book is based on a paper originally presented at the London Theosophical History Conference in June 2003

Her work on the life of Mabel Collins is an attempt to clarify the role Collins played in the early establishment of the Blavatsky Lodge
in 1887. Sometime late 1888 and early 1889, Collins' relationship with Blavatsky ruptured and splintered the original London Lodge. This
exploded into what is known as the Cous-Collins affair that Ms Farrell is now trying to explain in revisionist terms though I don't doubt her sincere interest in Mabel's exceptional life.

Mabel Collins was henceforth demonised and this book does her no favours. Mabel Collins did not suffer a nervous breakdown as is suggested and her
wits and intelligence flourished the rest of her life though her constitution was delicate and at times ill.

What has this to do with the Whitechapel murders? Nothing, except that any association with the highly publicized murders could potentially
discredit anyone who had any links. Someone like Mabel Collins.

The true mystery here is why Melvin Harris chose to expand on a myth he knew was shaky in it's foundation only to be perpetuated by Mr Edwards to
future generations.

Ms Farrel is not to blame if her main sources for
the Ripper story within the Theosophical Society of 1888 was gleaned from these two authors who should know better.

Spiro
auspirograph@yahoo.com

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 709
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 7:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Spiro !!

Good to see you again sir...

First of all, as I mentioned in that Pulitzer prize book review, I am not well versed in the world of Theosophy and/or its history. I'm not copping an out here, neither arguing with you. In a way,the review of the book [ which is a good read for those interested in Mrs. Collins' life story ] was done by special request and written by someone [ me ] looking for clues specifically as to why Collins felt Stephenson may have been the Ripper from other,seldom discussed,sources.

In your statement, "Mabel Collins was henceforth demonised and this book does her no favours. Mabel Collins did not suffer a nervous breakdown as is suggested and her
wits and intelligence flourished the rest of her life though her constitution was delicate and at times ill."

Well,Spiro, I can't really prove that Mrs. Collins had a breakdown. I can refer you to the page number in Ms. Farnell's book that discussed this breakdown [ page 88 ] which Mrs. Collins' sister,Ellen Hopkins,took care of Mabel for four months. The Coues-Collins affair is discussed on page 97. It also mentions a breakdown.

What Ms. Farnell did do was repeat the line that Stephenson was arrested. Ms. Farnell doesn't say,in all honesty,that RDS was arrested in regard to the Whitechapel Murders. She mentions the 1887 arrest of a Robt.Stephenson [ irrelevant to the WM ] and another arrest in October on the 30th of 1888. This latter one provides a glimmer of hope to those who stubbornly want RDS to be the Ripper despite the man still being in London Hospital for 38 more days afterwards ! You and I can expect to see this erroneous statement repeated,for sure,Spiro.

Ms. Farnell does say that she discussed data with the late Mr. Harris. Its a shame that Mr. Harris didn't see that Ms.Farnell effectively squashed the theory that RDS was the reason Ms.Collins went bankrupt. The bankruptcy occurred in November, 1892 and was due to the "Cheap Books Movement"...not RDS. But,I think its safe to say,that we can expect to see RDS cast as the reason for Collins' bankuptcy in future books and articles on RDS.

Finally,you ask what does it have to do with the WM ? Well...she did live in that time and its instructive [ at least for me ]to see how the WM affected different people in the various ways that it did. If,as you contend,and again I am not arguing against you,Spiro...if Mabel didn't really have a nervous breakdown,thats okay. No problem accepting that idea. I don't have a want to make RDS any more sinister than he already is,by using bullshit arrests that never happened or claims of him bankrupting a couple of savvy women to make him all the more evil to sell books. Not me sir.

But if she did have a nervous breakdown, to me,at least, it seems feasible that her mental state may have been shaky enough to "read" into the character of D'onston and believe he may have been the Ripper. The fact that she never divulges WHAT made her feel this way encourages those who want RDS to be the Ripper to read into it themselves. Either way,Spiro, it makes little difference to me. It isn't the linchpin of any theory that I am promoting,for sure. Wanting a suspect to be the Ripper speaks volumes about the integrity or intelligence of the promoter. In the case of Mr. Harris, its a shame,once again,that this master hoax buster didn't apply his objectivity a long time ago to some of the "problems" within Stephenson studies.

Take it easy,old bean !

auspirograph
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard,

I have recieved an email from Ms Farnell in response to the discussion above and would like to pass it on with my reply for the benefit of those interested in exploring Mabel Collins and Robert Donston Stephenson.

"Ms Farrell is a respected astrologer and an
associate of the London Branch of the Theosophical Society. Her book is based on a paper originally
presented at the London Theosophical History
Conference in June 2003 "

Kim Farnell wrote:

> I'm sorry but you're incorrect on a number of
> points.
>
> My name is Farnell.
> I am not and have never been an associate or any
> other form of member of any
> branch of the Theosophical Society or its variants.
> Whoever gave you that
> information is simply wrong.
> My paper given in 2003 was based on a draft of the
> book, which had already
> been largely written by then.
>
> I would be grateful if you could point me towards
> the sources that you have
> that discredit Ellen Hopkins' letters regarding
> Mabel's breakdown.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kim

Hi Kim,

Thank you for your email correcting some errors that I had made. I will be happy to correct these also on the casebook site in time but first I'd like to address your concerns.

Spelling your name wrong is of course unforgivable, late night typos are a curse are they not but I'm truly sorry for that mistake.

When I mentioned you as "an associate" of the London Branch of the Theosophical Society I did intend that statement in a general sense not as specific as you imply. I should have been more clear on that issue nevertheless that your contacts with the Society did not include membership but how am I expected to know what level your involvements are. Your available writing and reviews on your writing certainly gave the impression of association to a casual observer. The Theosophical Society certainly takes an interest in your writing and promotes it as if it was included in the canon. May I suggest a disclaimer be added to your articles to that effect.

Regardless, I am sincerely pleased to hear that you have attempted and completed an objective and well-written account on the life of Mabel Cook. It was sorely needed and I wish you the very best with it's success.

Regarding Mabel's half-sister Ellen Hopkins and her letters to 'Light' it is not convincing enough for me that you draw the conclusion that Mabel had a nervous breakdown. Where are the medical reports? The treatments of a 'magnetic healer' arn't a certainty of diagnosed psychiatric illness. It is also possible, and a more likely one in my view, that Mabel was suffering from stress due to 'psychic' complications resulting from her spiritualistic work and the added legal disputes with Blavatsky that Hopkins felt obliged to protect her from.

To state that Mabel had a nervous breakdown late 1889 is to ignore the activity she managed to conduct involving Cous, the libel suit against Blavatsky and the continuing writing of her books. I'm sorry but I can't subscribe to the view, even though you are entitled to it, that Mabel had 'lost her marbles' in the midst of the allegations brought against her on the true authorship of "Light on the Path' and her standing within the Society.

You say it yourself that Mabel was struggling with the 'cheap book' market and to have control on her copyrights further eroded by Theosophical scandals was I believe the explanation for her silence on her condition and position.

Of course this does have bearing on the Whitechapel murders because Mabel Collins, according to Vittoria Cremers, suspected Robert Donston Stephenson of being the Ripper. Her mental state would be an important factor in her suspicions but it is as hard to determine the mental state of a killer as it is for Mabel Collins in 1889. There is simply no proof, medical reports or interviews that can determine and suppport that position.

Even the book "The Theosophical Movement, 1875-1925, a History and a Survey" claims: "It is to be noted that although Mabel Collins was "too ill" to make a concrete statement to "Light" at the time -- and before the publication of the pamphlets which proved by dates alone the impossibility of her statements or Coues' being true -- she was not too ill to send a cablegram to her co-conspirator warning him of the discrepancy into which his too great facility and too zealous haste had led him."

On other matters relating to the Jack the Ripper mythologies, let me reiterate the view that it is not the fault of you as a writer nor with others who have a peripheral interest in the events of 1888 in Whitechapel to be led astray on conclusions after referring to the works of Melvin Harris and Mr Edwards regarding Donston and his consorts.

It is not the valued research that these authors have pains-takenly undertaken that irks but rather the selective and error-prone conclusions that witness any scrutiny, challenge or sincere debate as a form of betrayal to their ideals of being criminologists. Jack the Ripper by now is surely the providence of Criminal and Police Historians. Most of the reliable information we have to date are from these efforts and I would refer you to them as they do complete the picture.

Unfortunately, any information on the suspect Robert Donston Stephenson and his associates like Mabel Collins, is not so firmly placed in the hands of 'secular' and puritanical Ripperologists who belittle and mis-inform on the mores of Victorian spiritual attitudes and practices to give support to their suspect's self-confessed and decided sinister cloak. Hardly objective to the study and interest in Jack the Ripper's crimes and times given the weight that is expended on published newspaper accounts that at best are secondary sources but valuable insights into the events and mystery nevertheless.

Scotland Yard investigated the claims and involvement of Robert Donston Stephenson in the Whitechapel murders and dismissed them. Does that mean Mabel Collins was crazy to suspect him of being Jack the Ripper as the time frames do coincide?

Regards
Spiro

auspirograph@yahoo.com

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 725
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 8:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice one,Spiro...

....especially this part:

"but rather the selective and error-prone conclusions that witness any scrutiny, challenge or sincere debate as a form of betrayal to their ideals of being criminologists."

Truer words never spoken.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.