Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Census ,Christening, Registries Thread Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Stephenson, Roslyn Donston » Census ,Christening, Registries Thread « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 425
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are some details that Nina Thomas has uncovered regarding the maternal side of the Stephenson family.

These are christening dates for the Dawber family.

IGI Christenings at Sculcoates for children of William & Elizabeth Dauber
Ann Dauber - June 3, 1806
William Dauber - Feb. 16, 1808
Isabella Dauber - Nov. 20, 1809---RDS' Mother
Robert Dauber - Dec. 16, 1811
William Dauber - July 16, 1820
MARRIAGE: Robert Dawber & Mary Ann Taylor - Dec. quarter of 1842, Sculcoates, East riding of Yorkshire, volume 22 - page 417

The reader will notice the different spellings of the surname.

A ceremony as special as a christening more than likely won't see the participating parents allow a mispelling of the surname. However,the same can be said for a marriage. To further "complicate" the matter, the same man [ with my birthday,no less ] has his last name spelled in the two fashions.

A "dauber" was that man or woman who used mud,animal dung,and straw to provide the average Medieval Brit with a more comfortable hovel. "Daubing" refers to applying the aforementioned materials to the sides of the sophisticated Jute's or Pictish home of days gone by....

It may have been that this connotation inspired the name change or merely an error on the registrar's part.....More to come on this thread.
How Brown

Donston1888@aol.com

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 426
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can order birth certificates from any area of England directly online from this site. http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/births/obtainingbirthcertificates/index.asp The GRO reference is the volume & page numbers.
Robert D. Stephenson - 1841 - June quarter - Sculcoates - Volume 22 - Page 504
Richard D. Stephenson - 1841 - June quarter - Sculcoates - Volume 22 - Page 505

Nina Thomas
How Brown

Donston1888@aol.com

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 427
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1834 Electoral Roll for the Parish of Sculcoates
#4252 William Dauber - Place of abode: Charles Street - Nature of qualification: Freehold houses - Description of Property: William’’s Square, Mason Street.
#4379 Robert Stephenson - Place of abode: Beverly parks - Nature of qualification: Freehold houses - Description of property: Grotto square

Nina Thomas
How Brown

Donston1888@aol.com

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

D'onston's sister Isabella........

More finds on the Stephenson family. I believe the following to be the same Isabella D. as in the 1881 census. Adelaide who was listed as her daughter in 1881 now has the surname of Trevor but is listed as single....
1891 Census (38 Chapel Street, Penzance, Cornwall) Piece: RG12/1858 Enumeration District: 189 Folio: 27 Page: 8 Schedule: 40
Head RICHARDSON Isabella D Shirley - Widowed (53) Lady Principal Of W C College born: East Riding of Yorkshire - Kingston Upon Hull
Assistants / Employees TREVOR Adelaide - Single (23) Teacher - birth place not given, WRIGHT Margaret (26) Teacher, SHARPE Janice Thompson (26) Teacher, LIGHTON Clara P (24) Kindergarten Teacher
12 Scholars / Boarders BAWDEN Janie (16) SHERRIS Mabel (15) MARTIN Margaret W (15) WHITE Ethel (14) BAWDEN Mary (14) STOATE May (14) MARTIN W Aileen (13) STOATE Elsie (13) KELLOW Ethel (13) HOSKING Emma (12) MARTIN Olive (9) MARTIN Gladys (7)
Domestic Service CARGEEGE Elizabeth Jane (32) Cook, CURTIS Grace Thomas (24) Housemaid , COLENSO Elizabeth Jane (27) Under Housemaid

[Stephenson's sister was a principal at this W.C College.]

Nina Thomas
How Brown

Donston1888@aol.com

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 429
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

West Cornwall College, Penzance
At the time of the 1902 Education Act, this and the High School (both for Girls) were the only Secondary schools in Penzance. Closed in 1967.

This is the "W.C. College" listed in the above post regarding Isabella Stephenson [ sister of Donston ]

How
How Brown

Donston1888@aol.com

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 387
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard,

Re, the spelling of Dauber, - could someone have misread the handwriting and mistaken a U for a W?

Rgds
John

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 430
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ROBERT DONSTON STEPHENSON

IN CENSUS REPORTS FOR THE YEARS

Donston in the 1861 census, still living with this parents. This listing is as follows:
135 Church Street, Sculcoates, Yorkshire
Head: Richard Stephenson aged 54 born Hull - Linseed, rapeseed and Corn (?) Crusher
Wife: Isabella Stephenson aged born Sculcoates
Children:
Isabella aged 23 born Sculcoates
Richard aged 21 born Sculcoates - Ship Broker's Clerk
Robert D aged 19 born Sculcoates - Lieutenant Southern <illegible>
Visitor:
Ann Lambert aged 71 born Boston, Lincolnshire
Servant:
Eliza Ward aged 21 born Marylebone - Housemaid

D'Onston in the 1871 census
He is listed as a lodger at No. 2, Acorn Court, Strand, London. The census listing is unusual in that instead of falling within a normal parish this property is listed as part of the "Liberty of the Rolls" - see note below.

The full listing for the household is as follows:
Head:
John Murray aged 46 born Durham - a compositor
Wife:
Martha Murray aged 39 born Lincolnshire
Stepson:
Samuel Peacock aged 20 born New York (Naturalised)
Lodger:
Roslyn D Stevenson aged 29 born Hull, Yorkshire
Lieut. HM Coast Guard

D'Onston, still using the surname Stephenson at that point, married Anne Deary in Islington in 1876. The couple are listed in the 1881 census as living at 10 Hollingworth Street North, London. This street no longer exists but was incorporated into what is now Paradise Park, Islington.
In the 1881 listing she is listed as Annie Stephenson, born 1844 in Thorne, Yorkshire.

By 1891 D'Onston (as he was then listed) was living at the Triangle Hotel (see separate thread) and described as single.

All above found by Chris Scott and placed here for easier accessibility.
How Brown

Donston1888@aol.com

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 431
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear John

Yes sir. That is one of the possibilities. We'll figure it out sooner or later my friend...

Before I forget..in case Chris Scott is reading this...Chris: Have you [ or anyone else for that matter ] checked into the 1901 and 1911 censuses at the National Archives regarding Donston ? If not,please let me know and I will if you haven't done so....trying to avoid a waste of time on my end.... Thanks !!!!

(Message edited by howard on May 25, 2005)
How Brown

Donston1888@aol.com

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 2042
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi How
Yes, I have tracked Donston down in 1901. I thought I had posted this but in case not:

Islington Infirmary, St Johns Road, Upper Holloway, Islington:

Inmate:
Roslyn D'Ouston aged 62 born Hull, Yorkshire
Widower
Dispenser.
After the word "Dispenser" under Occupation, there is what looks like "Ret sub med" written in and crossed out. I assume this is Retired <something> Medical. I am posting below.
All the best
Chris

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 5:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a close up of the occupation as listed for Donston in 1901 in case anyone can make more sense of it:

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 1:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How
Re: the 1911 census, this is not yet available. I did hear rumblings about a possible early release but it has been confirmed that data will not be released until Jan 2012.
Even more worrying for some researchers, and in a move which I completely fail to understand, the Canadian government has apparently decided that no census data after that of 1901 will be made public. It seems there were even serious moves made to have the 1911 Canadian census data destroyed!
http://business.auracom.com/rotaryamh/marks/nomore.htm

This statement has been released regarding 1911 UK census data:
England and Welsh Census Information for 1911.
The 1911 Census records for England and Wales are subject to the Public Records Act 1958 (Instrument No 12 dated 1966), which specifies a closure period of 100 years. The records will be opened to the public in 2012.

It was possible, following concessions announced in 1972 and 1989, for limited information to be released from the 1901 census to direct descendants and next of kin for family history purposes before the records were opened to public search. However, the concessions specifically referred to censuses prior to and including the 1901 Census and therefore did not apply to the 1911 Census. There are no plans for a similar concession relating to the 1911 Census.

A concession announced in 1993 relating to the 1911 Census is conditional upon the applicant requiring the information solely in order to establish a legal entitlement and would only be considered where the information could not be obtained from any other source.

Ian White
Census Legislation
The office For National Statistics

The matter has also been discussed in Parliament:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/uk_politics/3585617.stm

Restless Spirit
Detective Sergeant
Username: Judyj

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 2:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris Scott
We here in Canada are also at a total loss to understand why the govt. have taken that stand re the census. I am involved with a geneology website, doing some work here and there for them and searching my own roots (England),and we are totally pissed off. We have sent protests, emails and petitions to the govt. to try and reverse this decision, to no avail so far. I receive regular updats by one of the researchers/historian with respect to the status of our concerns ree our "Roots". If anything changeswith respect to this rediculous decision by our govt, I will advise you tout suit.
regards
Restless Spirit

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 5:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris...

Thanks very much for this info. So,from 1901 to 1916, we have to wait for almost 6 and 1/2 years.

I say,balls,bullshit,and poppycock ! Don't these people know whom we are looking for? We need to convey to them that we have a hit-squad ready to rock and roll with Parliament over this.

I'm putting the camoflauge paint on at this moment,Chris...I'll be by to pick you up in 15 minutes....yeah,I'll bring the Mossberg and extra ammo......
HowBrown

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4653
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I requested an 1841/51 census lookup at a genealogical site, and was kindly given the following info :

Here they are in 1841;

HO107/1232 f.583 p.30 Charles St., Sculcoates
Richard Stephenson 34 Merchant
Isabella " 30
Elizabeth 8, William 5, Isabella 3, Richard 1, Robert 1month.

Nothing as yet re 1851.

Robert

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 4:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From Robert Charles Linford:

William Stephenson data...

45, High St
William Stephenson, 46, printer (but the 51 directory tells us he owned a newspaper), born Hull
Caroline, wife, 31, born Hull
William, son, 18, attorney’s articled clerk
Richard R, son, 9
Hannah Saner, step-daughter, 8
Hilda, daughter, 2
Eric, son, 2 months
Plus two servants
All children born Hull
Richard R may be Richard Rodford, who I think I found became a book publisher.

5, Lyme St
William Stephenson, 56, newspaper proprietor and publisher, born Beverley
Caroline, wife, 40, born Hull
Hannah Saner, step-daughter, 18
Hilda, daughter, 12
Mill, son, 3
Plus two servants
All children born Hull
Mr Norwood, Russian merchant, lived next door

9, Spring St
Edwin Gray, 25, merchant born Hull
Martha E, sister, 32 born Hull
Mary H, sister, 26 born Hull
Mary Clay, visitor, 34 born Newcastle
Charles White, 26, lodger, Curate of St Stephen’s Church, Hull born Shrewsbury
John William White, 24, lodger, student born Shrewsbury
All unmarried

Ancestry wouldn’t let me download 61

6, Myerson Terrace, Spring Bank
Edwin Gray, 44, timber merchant born Hull
Mary Hannah, sister, 50, housekeeper born Hull
Plus two servants

In 1891 he is still unmarried, 66, retired timber merchant staying at Charter House

My best guess for William Gray is

40 Kingston St
George Gray, 45, Steam Tug Dock something, born West Stockwith, Notts
Mary A, wife, 44 born Norwich, Norfolk
Mary J, daughter, 13 born Scarborough
Alfred, son, 11 born Scarborough
William R, son, 10 born ditto
Ellen T, daughter, 8 born ditto
Susannah, daughter, 5 born ditto

38, Raugelon (?) St
George Gray, 55, steam tug manager born West Stockwith, Notts
Mary Ann, wife, 54 born Norwich Norfolk
Alfred, son, 21, chymist born Scarborough
William R, son, shipping clerk CC (what does that mean?) born Scarborough
Ellen T, daughter, 18 born ditto
Susannah, daughter, 15 born ditto

Fearnhead Lane, Poulton with Fearnhead, Lancs
William R Gray, 30, telephone office clerk born Scarborough
Caroline, wife, 33, born Hull
Visitors
Sarah Spence, 60, married, born West Stockwith, Notts
Susannah Spence, 31, born Hull
Margaret Spence, 11, born Hull

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.