Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Religious reasons?? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » Religious reasons?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jezroberts
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't read about JtR in a while now but have just picked up a copy of 'Uncle Jack' which i shall read with as much open mindedness as all the other books i have read on the subject. The one thing i really want to know is whether the posibility of a vicar or a minister of the church being involved in the murders had been researched? From memory, St. Mary's church kept coming up in various writings....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 9:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi jez

To answer your question, yes, clergymen have been named as suspects. For example, one is Reverend Samuel Augustus Barnett, Rector of St. Jude's, Whitechapel, 1873-1894. Another perhaps more implausible suspect, named by Boston child psychologist Richard Wallace, is the Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson aka Lewis Carroll (1832-1898).

There is a line of thought that "Jack" may have had something about him that set the victims at ease, even in the middle of the Ripper's reign of terror. If the murderer was a man of the cloth, a policeman, or a social worker, the murderer's line of work could have been that "something."

All the best

Chris George
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.