Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

What would happen today? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » What would happen today? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Estiban
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 9:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howdy
I was reading about how in some murder cases, the modus operandi and choice of vicim is so similar to other murders commited, that the police use the term 'Copycat'.They believe the person had knowledge of a previous murder/s and tried to act it out in the same way, particularly high profile murders, in a belief they would achieve fame this way to. This lead me to ask two questions about the Whitechapel case.

1. Has any murderer, in any way, tried to emulate the Whitechapel murders? Given the fact a copycat is vainly trying to achieve notoriety through someone elses work, this would be the perfect case to do it.As far as I know JtR is a household name across the world , and even though there have been worse serial killers in history, Jack remains the undisputed king of SK's in the public's eyes.Has any case actually been identified as a JtR copycat?

2. What would happen today if a copycat tried to pull it off again in Whitechapel, or a poorer suburb of London? I know technology is advanced, but murderers probably are aware of existing technology also.How would the investigation differ from 1888? That is asuming the killer would not make fundamental mistakes.
Would appreciate some input - thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Phil Hill
Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 481
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 1:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Estiban,

I'm no criminologist, but surely some of the things that would happen would include:

* finger tip searches of the murder scenes
* search for DNA on the victims, their clothing and anywhere else
* full photographic recording of bodies and murder scenes
* modern autopsies
* the use of any available CCTV footage from shops etc in the neighbourhood
* TV appeals and information
* the creation of complex databases to cross-check evidence and to link with other cases
* forensic tests including for fingerprints at the scene
* checks for links between victims

A modern killer might have used a car and there would be enquiries about that.

I'd HOPE that the cops would catch him quickly, but of course, it's not as easy as that.

Does that help?

Phil

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.