Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The Cutbush and Flood Charities Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Cutbush, Thomas » The Cutbush and Flood Charities « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With little luck I have been attempting to discover more information about the obscure charity foundations established by the Cutbush and Flood families in the earlier part of the LVP. However what I have discovered is that the 'Cutbush Charity of Maidstone' - which is linked to the Flood's charitable organisation - owned massive tracts of London town and city, and still does.
As a for instance, the Cutbush trust owned - or still owns - almost all of the Wandsworth Road in Lambeth, which at that time included the largest beer bottling firm in the world (this takes me back to Janet Taylor the Navigator of the Minories who was married to a brewer with large interests in this trade).
The Cutbush trust also owns - or used to own - Deptford. I mean the entire place.
I do believe we need to increase our knowledge on these charitable trusts as a matter of urgency.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2814
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 1:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is something I came across in my travels.
I had not before seen such an extensive summary of LTF’s charitable nature.

‘Luke Thomas Flood by deed poll of 1849 gave £1,500 to the parochial charity schools and £1,000 to trustees appointed under Act of 1819 for building a new church. The first sum was to provide for a catechism on 13 January, a concert, and apprenticing, any residue to provide bread for poor attending the catechism examination and then to apprentice and clothe any children. (Footnote 1) The second was to provide payments to one man and one woman, not being husband and wife, aged at least 60 and once householders of the parish, who attended the examination. The legacies were reinvested in stock under Order of 1888 and out of income of £76 14s. 4d., £30 19s. 9d. went to the trust for deserving persons. In 1986 the church trustees divided £30 between a man and women chosen from 8 applicants. A further charity was established in 1856 by the church trustees' purchase of £400 to provide two dinners, one for themselves and subscribers to the schools and one, more modest, for officials involved in the examination. The meals were held at Bailey's Hotel, South Kensington, in 1896, when among other items £30 was spent on a man and a woman, £39 9s. on payments specified by Flood, and £10 14s. 8d. on bread. The income of £92 3s. 4d. was unchanged in 1930. Scheme of 1936 divided the charity of 1856 (item 19), when £8 6s. 8d. stock became the Ecclesiastical charity of Thomas Flood. (Footnote 2) The rest, £44 15s. stock, with the charity of 1849 (item 18) represented by £1,299 4s. 2d. stock, became part of Non-Ecclesiastical charities.

From: 'Social history: Charities for the poor', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 12: Chelsea (2004), pp. 195-201. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=28714. Date accessed: 11 November 2005.’

I also found that in 1809 LTF was in partnership with an Henry Bond and they ran a leather business in Leicester Square.
All them folk in the leather business were as ‘mad as hatters’.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5279
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 1:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting, AP. Presumably he got something out of it, somehow. Nowadays it's a knighthood, dinner with Tony and a spot on "This Is Your Life."

Robert

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2586
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 2:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Surely ,since charities began,the benefactors have been able to claim tax relief?
Natalie

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2817
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 3:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP says JP...
and dinner with the Lord Mayor of London.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.