Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

JtR's identity WAS REVEALED - on Abbe... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » JtR's identity WAS REVEALED - on Abberline's staff! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stuart
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI,

I have been on this website for over a month now and made a few posts.In any section, I have found nothing on the very pertinent clue of Det Abberline's retirement staff.If anyone out there can shed some light on this very mysterious clue, I would be greatfull.

Firstly, it is no hoax, for I shall give you my credible source. It was a 60 minute documentary made by the cable network ' DISCOVERY CHANNEL '. It featured Donald Rumbelow, Deputy Asssist of Scotland Yard , English Detectives and FBI detectives.I think we can assume the info has some credibility - if anyone has seen it, they might be able to back me up.

To get to the point: after discussing the suspect's, they began to analyse Abberline's involvement. Apon his retirement from duty, he recieved an ornamental wooden staff. Delicately carved on the head of this staff was the face of Jack the Ripper. I saw the actual picture of this staff right before my eyes.

This poses some MASSIVE questions to be addressed.
1. If Jack's face was carved on the staff, then at least one member of the London police new the identity of JtR.Possibly more.Somewhere from 1888 to Abberline's retirement date, the rippers identity was discovered.

2. Why did they only reveal his identity to Abberline( whose blood and sweat did go into the case) and not to the public?

3. Where is this staff now? It is real, I saw a picture of it.Who ever can locate it will have JtRs identity.

4. Would Detectives interested in solving the case conduct a nationwide search for it, and offer a reward for it's posseession.

If anyone doubts my source, than I implore you to go right ahead and check it. This is too big a clue to pass up.

Thankyou all, Stuart.

Steve Bleakley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 8:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Stuart,

I was cruising through this website for the first time and this thread caught my attention.I saw a show, I dont know if it was the Discovery one you saw, I can no longer remember.I saw the bit on the staff of Mr Abberline. They said that an anonamous member of the policeforce, who knew Jack's identity, carved the killer's face on the head of his retirement staff as a reward for the effort he put into the case and his career. I went around asking the same questions you did at the time I saw it.

Who in the police knew his identity? Why was it kept a secret from the public? I am dying to know where the staff is now? Nobody could give me answers then so I hope I can get some now.Thanks for making the posting.

Steve

Legion
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 373
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stuart -

I believe you will find what you are looking for here. However, I hold in doubt your theory.

Legion

"Our name is legion, for we are many"

Nina Thomas
Inspector
Username: Nina

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stuart,

Abberline's walking stick is mentioned on the "Abberline walking stick" message board along with photos.

../4924/13776.html"#DEDDCE">

Legion
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 374
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 3:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't see my link Nina?

:-)

Legion
"Our name is legion, for we are many"

Nina Thomas
Inspector
Username: Nina

Post Number: 242
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 4:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Legion,

Oh! its on the HERE! I missed that, sorry!

Nina

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 6:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stuart

Since Abberline stated in print in 1903 that he was in a position to know whether Scotland Yard knew who the killer was and he stated at that time that no one knew for certain who he was, the thought that the face of the killer was carved on the cane is, I am sorry to say, mere myth.

Best regards

Chris George
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 582
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 7:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I pointed out in that thread, in all likelihood this stick is just one of the ones sold by street hawkers trying to make a quick buck off the murders. Specifically it bears remarkable resemblance to the mad monk character who was in The Curse Upon Mitre Square publication that was sold near the scene of Eddowes' death shortly after her murder. Based upon records we know walking sticks featuring this fictional character's likeness were sold to the public at the same time.

I can't imagine the police having a stick custom made to feature a specific person (and if they had it certainly wouldn't be a secret who it was made to resemble), but I certainly can see them pulling out one of those old sticks from storage or that someone had bought previously on a lark to give to Abberline as a partial gag gift.

So, in a sense, the stick does feature the head of the Whitechapel killer, but it's the head of the fictional character who was a ghost responsible for the murders, not a real life killer.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

ex PFC Wintergreen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 7:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know if one of the seven officers who gave Abberline the staff was that Kew guy who caught Crippen and also "saw" Jack the Ripper?

Stuart
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 1:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for shedding some light.I feel like A bit of a baffon now after reading the link suuggested to me.I wish I had read it first.I had no idea the staff is in a museum somewhere.Next time I tour England I shall have a Look at it.I didn't know that this staff was bought at a novelty shop, like that comic book guy, with the big gut, out of 'the Simpsons' has.I thought there was more to it than that.

I have been the victim of sensationalist reporting. On the show I saw, they said the ACTUAL face of the ripper was carved on it.Nothing about the staff being bought at a joke shop.It's left me with egg on my face, so I will research more next time.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.