Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The Reverend Eustace Blackerby - Jack... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » The Reverend Eustace Blackerby - Jack the Vicar? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sergeant Charles Eyton
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 7:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems strange to me that such a credible suspect has not appeared on any post or any part of this otherwise encyclopaedic web site.

I'm a newcomer to the internet phenomenon and I would have visited this site a long time ago if I was indeed a veteran.

However the Reverend Eustace Blackerby (or Blackaby) does seem to me to be the best bet for who Jack the Ripper is.
For those who haven't heard of the illustrious clergyman he was born in Stepney in 1855 but claiming to be a vicar in 1882 he circled a collection of churches in central London and the East End.
In April 1888 he settled at St Boltoph's in Aldgate (the prostitutes church). He was known to take to drink but despite his age his ferocity for religion was well documented.

In 1893 his colleague at the Church, Reverend Simons reported:

“He was a young but fervent vicar. He would sometimes stay in the church at night and preach to the passing unfortunates not to solicit near the holy monument. He also talked about how he would reform these women but he never introduced me to one.”

He had an interest in the Ripper crimes and would frequent the Commercial Street and Bishopsgate police stations to glean any details he could on the crimes. Simons even goes onto say that Blackerby didn't think much of George Lusk.

The morning after the double event Reverend Blackerby was supposed to give a sermon, however he couldn’t be found until one o’clock in the afternoon in private lodgings crying drunkenly on the bed. When asked what was the cause, he went on to complain about the fates that the two women the night before and how he could've saved them through reformation. He even admitted to having visited Bishopsgate police station that night.

In January 1889 he went missing, he was never heard from again in any capacity. When Simons told a private investigator, it was revealed that the papers from the seminary that Blackerby said he came from were forged.

He's not a widely known suspect, but I think he definitely belongs up there with the worst of them.

James Bond
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr Eyton,

I think your suspect may have been the type of person to preach a litany of moral abuse to passing prostitutes.This is a long way from cutting their guts out and leaving it on the sidewalk.I would say some real hardcore evidence would have to be produced to call him a serious contender.

Stuart
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sergant Charles,

I do believe the ripper hated prostitution and that was his motive - not all these fanciful motives that have evolved.The number of serial killers that have soley targeted prostitues and not raped them before killing them, is I think, nil.Correct me if I am wrong. For me anyway, nobody will ever convince me that his issues were not about prostitution, they so plainly are.

Thats why my list is very small and has only those who may have disliked whores.Joseph Barnett is on it.The idea of a moral crusade to clear the already dirty East End of whores is a plausible one.The ripper clearly had disdain for prostitution.To find one who moraly objected to it is interesting.However, I think this suspect's concern may have been genuine.In wishing that he could have reformed them to save them, I think he means if he had reformed them , then they wouldnt have been in the firing line that night.I would say his dislike for prostitution would have more than likely inclined him to try and talk others out of it.

I wont stop my search though for the kind of suspect who hated prostitution,and had the drive, the physical ability and the moxie to pull this thing off.

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 742
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sergeant Charles Eyton

It seems strange to me that such a credible suspect has not appeared on any post or any part of this otherwise encyclopaedic web site.

Can you give us any references for the source of the information you've posted about this suspect?

I was disappointed not to be able to find any such person listed in the 1881 census.

Chris Phillips

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 535
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 5:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He probably wasn't in the census because he was using an alias. I, for one, am impressed. His sudden disappearance in 1889 is just as impressive as Druitt's drowning. Psychopaths are manipulators and liars, so that fits. If Eustace was JTR it would have been perfectly natural for him to flee from the Stride crime scene back to St. Botolphs, one of his comfort zones and then because he was unsatiated to pick up Eddowes there. It would answer the question of why the prostitutes felt safe with him, especially if he was wearing a collar. I would love to know where his lodgings were. It would be very useful to see how close they were to the crime scenes. One could apply the rules of geographic profiling.

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 743
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana

I agree that from the information that's been posted, this man would appear to be an interesting suspect, but I should like to know what the source of that information is.

Chris Phillips

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"The number of serial killers that have soley targeted prostitues and not raped them before killing them, is I think, nil.Correct me if I am wrong. "

The Green River Killer, for one.

"For me anyway, nobody will ever convince me that his issues were not about prostitution, they so plainly are."

Prostitutes are easy prey by the very nature of their work. They're low hanging fruit for a serial killer. The issue may have been with women in general.

Sir Robert
"I only thought I knew"
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 744
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 2:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"His sudden disappearance in 1889 is just as impressive as Druitt's drowning."

Well, no. Druitt certainly suffered a violent death at about the time the murders stopped. This is inherently more suspicious than someone who merely disappeared more than a month after Druitt died and the murders stopped. Also, we know that Druitt was a police suspect while there is no record of Blackerby being suspected.

Still, it would be good to know more about him.

Andy S.

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 3:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"This is inherently more suspicious than someone who merely disappeared more than a month after Druitt died and the murders stopped. "

The disappearance by itself doesn't do much for me, but the apparent fact that there was an assumed identity makes it far more intriguing.

Sir Robert
"I only thought I knew"
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 5:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In fact there was one man of the name of Blackaby born in 1855 who was a minister but he was born in Hertfordshire and I can trace no link with East London. His details are as follows:
Frederick Edward Blackaby
born 1855 in Stanstead, Hertfordshire

Married in Hertford in 1877 to Julia Elizabeth Salmon

1871 (Probable sighting)
Baker's Shop, Stanstead, Hertfordshire
Head: Henry Blackaby aged 52 born Little Hadham, Herts
Wife: Caroline Blackaby aged 47 born Much Hadham, Herts
Children:
James aged 23 - Carpenter
William aged 21 - Miller
Alfred aged 20 - Baker
Edward aged 16 - Baker
Caroline aged 19
Richard aged 14
Walter aged 12
Arthur aged 7
All children born in Stanstead

1881:
Sheep Street, Stow on the Wold, Gloucestershire
Head: Frederic (sic) Blackaby aged 26 born Ware, Herts - Baptist minister
Wife: Julia Blackaby aged 23 born Bengeo, Herts
Children:
Frederic aged 3 born Granstead
Harold aged 8 months born Bengeo

1891:
Sheep Street, Stow on the Wold, Gloucestershire
Head: Frederick E Blackaby aged 35 born Stanstead, Herts
Wife: Julia E Blackaby aged 33 born Bengeo, Herts
Children:
Frederick L aged 13 born Stanstead
Harold E aged 10 born Bengeo
Minnie L aged 9 born Stow
Edgar P aged 7 born Stow
Reginald aged 5 born Stow

1901:
9 Albany Terrace, Chatham, Kent
Head: Frederick E Blackaby aged 46 born Stanstead, Herts - Baptist minister
Wife: Julia E Blackaby aged 43 born Bengeo, Herts
Children:
Minnie L aged 19
Edgar P aged 17
Reginald S aged 11
Richard A aged 9
Julia G aged 6
John H aged 6
All children born in Stow, Gloucester

Mentions in The Times:

13 August 1903
"The Rev. F.E. Blackaby has resigned the pastorate of Zion Baptist Church, Chatham, having accepted an invitation to become pastor of the Baptist Church, Coate, Oxfordshire."

5 October 1903
"The Rev. F.E. Blackaby (has accepted the pastorate of) Coate church, Oxford."

20 July 1908
"Rev. F.E. Blackaby has become minister at Dartford."

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 744
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 3:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris

Many thanks for searching without success for the Reverend Blackerby/Blackaby.

I'm afraid I'm very suspicious of what's been posted about this alleged suspect, given that no one here seems ever to have heard of the man, and that he has never been mentioned before on the old or new casebook.

As a suspect, he seems almost too good to be true - almost on a par with Dr Pedachenko - and he's even claimed to have expressed antipathy for Mister Lusk, the unfortunate recipient of half a kidney!

Chris Phillips

(Message edited by cgp100 on March 03, 2005)

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 789
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 4:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have we been paid another visit by Mr Arfa Kidney by any chance?
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" - Hunter S. Thompson (1939-2005)
Visit my website - http://www.ashbooks.co.uk/

CB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 8:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I agree with Chris. I would like to know the source of his information before I embrase the idea. The story sound similiar too the Reverend Barnett and Nicholas Vassily. I think the ripper targeted prostitutes because they were easy victims. I think he had an overall hatred of woman not just prostitutes.

Your friend,CB

Sergeant Charles Eyton
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 7:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think instead of the focus on his hatred for prostitution, (which shouldn't be entirely discredited, especially after looking at someone like Peter Sutcliffe) but it his disappearance the morning after the double event and his admission of visiting Bishopsgate police station that night, that gets the theorists talking.

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 745
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 2:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it his disappearance the morning after the double event and his admission of visiting Bishopsgate police station that night, that gets the theorists talking.

My problem is I've never heard anyone talking about this suspect at all, except you.

Please could you let us know what the source of your information is?

Chris Phillips

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 541
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 3:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, I know you're right to be suspicious. We've been fooled before. But wouldn't it be something if this person is on to something? It's going to be hard to find ol' Eustace in the census because I suspect he changed his name like other people change hats -- if of course he existed.

Phil Hill
Detective Sergeant
Username: Phil

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 2:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can I join the ranks of those requesting some sources and evidence to back up the intriguing words.

The esteemed initiator of this thread has apparently produced a prime candidate out of a hat - lots of circumstantial detail and links. But not one reference, and no one else (among the long-term students of the case here0 has heard so much as a whisper.

I looked to see if the dateline was 1 April, to be honest. It has all the hallmarks of the old Panorama piece on the "spaghetti harvest".

Like the Diary it emerges as a whole garment, ready sewn.

Pardon please my cynicism - but I have seen too many stories of this kind, simply to believe it at face value, however much I would like to.

So Mr Eyton please produce some solid citations or background to your contender - at the very least how did you come across him; where did the quote come from? There must be a source, if this is genuine, even if its a man in a pub, or an odd newspaper cutting in a scrapbook. You must be able to answer both of my questions.

Otherwise, I'm afraid this goes into the bin for hoaxes.

In archaeology, an item only has a value based on its CONTEXT. From that you can say it is genuine, date it, relate it to other information and other artefacts found - weave a story and conclusions from it.

Out of context, however glittery and seemingly precious an item is, its value is reduced. It has no more importance than its intrinsic or artistic worth. For the student, it is practically ruined.

Over to you Mr Eyton,

Sorry to be so challenging,

Phil

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 745
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm afraid I don't even see this alleged person as a suspect. A person of interest perhaps, but not a suspect.

I certainly don't see any hatred of prostitutes in the description given by the originator of this thread. On the contrary there is the desire to "reform" or save them (not surprising for one who is ostensibly a pastor) rather than to destroy them. There is regret and sorrow expressed at the fates of the victims of the double event. Hardly hatred, rather concern.

If such a person did exist, the only circumstantial evidence against him is that he was present in the area at the time of the murders, that he expressed an interest in them and a dislike for Mr. Lusk, and that he disappeared about two months after the murders ceased. This description must fit hundreds of people. Very weak evidence indeed.

I am inclined to agree that this is merely a hoax.

Andy S.

Phil Hill
Inspector

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andy:

that he expressed... a dislike for Mr. Lusk.... and that he disappeared about two months after the murders ceased. This description must fit hundreds of people.

What was it about Mr Lusk - wrong after-shave?

Phil

Pearly Poll
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 8:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it just me or does the name Charles Eyton sound suspiciously like the word "charlatan"?

John Ruffels
Inspector
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 352
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 5:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,
With the built-in radar of a cynical Casebook Message boards reader of some years,until I read Chris Scott's Census details for the Blackaby family, I was suspicious the "Reverend Eustace Blackerby" was another spurious confection to mislead Ripperologists.
I am still not quite convinced:in fact, to paraphrase the Good Professor Spooner, I doubt whether the REVEREND BLACKACE EUSTERBY!!

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 751
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 9:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As no proper details have been forthcoming, I assume we're justified in treating this as a hoax.

Chris Phillips

Pearly Poll
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 7:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No offence meant John Ruffels, but were you a little drunk when you wrote that?

Sergeant Charles Eyton
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're all right, it was a complete lie and an absolute waste of time.

Phil Hill
Inspector

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 3:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Poll missed the joke, John!!

Phil

John Ruffels
Inspector

Post Number: 370
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 6:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't we all, Phil...Don't we all...

But "ahm not as droonk as thinkle peep I ham ..".

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

Have I forgotten any ?

John Ruffels
Inspector

Post Number: 371
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 6:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't we all, Phil...Don't we all...

But "ahm not as droonk as thinkle peep I ham ..".

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

Have I forgotten any ?

Thanks for the jolly prank if that is what it was, Sergeant Eyes Charlton..

ex PFC Wintergreen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sergeant Charles Eyton and Pearly Poll are one in the same if anyone's interested.

And I just got that joke, very good, sorry about my ignorance.

Wintergreen

PS. Isn't it "A full bottle in front of me" and a "Full frontal labotomy"

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.